• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Saxophonin'

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Recently I've been musing the idea of getting myself a saxophone and learning how to play it (I've always liked the sound of the instrument; plus playing it will make me incredibly baller). I just might go through with it, but I don't really know where to start. I don't think I'll be taking any formal lessons (I might anyway), nor am I particularly well-versed in music theory at all, so I'll have to learn it by myself. Which is why I'm making this thread. For you musicians, or people who know more about this than I do:

I've seen there are different kinds of saxophones (tenor, alto, etc); would you recommend I learn how to play any particular one? Do you know of any good brands that sell the instrument? Good books I can look up? General advice?

Any help is appreciated.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Youtube videos are probably one of the best tools for you, if you go through with it.

I hear that it's a good idea to start with a clarinet as well. Maybe you should consider that before moving up to the saxophone.

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
I would consider starting with clarinet first as well. I don`t play saxophone (I play flute), but both my brothers do. I would suggest going with an alto sax first. They are probaly the easiest to start off with, and thats what all the sax players I know started on after clarinet.

Aria

braver by the minute
You should probably start out with an alto sax, or a tenor, depending on what type of music you like playing more, but alto's usually get more melody parts. I've never heard of starting out with the clarinet first, my friend is a brilliant sax player and she started with the alto, but I'm not an expert.

Fortissimo

If I were you, I would go with a Tenor sax. From what my friends have told me, learning on the tenor was easiest for them. If your just beginning, go with a Yamaha. They are more affordable and good for learning. As far as learning music theory, go find a teacher. They aren't all insanely expensive. You could even find a college student, or high school student that could help you out. You could probably find someone who can teach you for around $5-$10. Books are fine, but they are really meant to use with a teachers instruction, not by themselves. General advice, go to your local music store, try out some of the saxes, ask around for teachers or lessons, and find the sax that is right for you. Good luck, and happy Saxophonin`!

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
If I were you, I would go with a Tenor sax. From what my friends have told me, learning on the tenor was easiest for them. If your just beginning, go with a Yamaha. They are more affordable and good for learning. As far as learning music theory, go find a teacher. They aren't all insanely expensive. You could even find a college student, or high school student that could help you out. You could probably find someone who can teach you for around $5-$10. Books are fine, but they are really meant to use with a teachers instruction, not by themselves. General advice, go to your local music store, try out some of the saxes, ask around for teachers or lessons, and find the sax that is right for you. Good luck, and happy Saxophonin`!

just admit it

you don't know

Fortissimo

just admit it

you don't know

I may be a percussionist, but I am aware of other musical instruments. Like most of the people that have posted, I am going off of what others who play the instrument have told me when I have asked about the sax. So, I am just taking from what I have been told and from what I have witnessed. But regarding musical theory and the best way to learn it, I stand by all that I have said.

Kazuma

For the Real not the Fake
Website
kazu52.deviantart.com
I'd recommend to start out on Alto, since most beginners I know did so that I've seen.
But if I had the choice I'd do Soprano Sax, my fav instrument. After playing Alto. A really good brand of Sax's are made by Selmer, I always loved there Saxes.
SAS280R.gif

Pure Sex
Selmer Musical Instruments - Saxophones, Clarinets, Bassoons, Oboes

You should be able to pick one up at your local Band House.

Brol

ATDT-ToA-ToS
Awards
Youtube videos are probably one of the best tools for you, if you go through with it.

I hear that it's a good idea to start with a clarinet as well. Maybe you should consider that before moving up to the saxophone.

I sorta disagree with this statement, sometimes even during the recording, the quality doesn't bring out the real sound of the instrument. As for starting with Clarinet, I've played clarinet for a while and it's a good instrument to start out with, but everyone's different.

I would consider starting with clarinet first as well. I don`t play saxophone (I play flute), but both my brothers do. I would suggest going with an alto sax first. They are probaly the easiest to start off with, and thats what all the sax players I know started on after clarinet.

I remember my teacher telling me going from Clarinet to Alto is extremely easier, you gain the basics of how to properly play, building up skills to play other instruments, though my majoring instrument is Clarinet, and i just cannot tackle Flute, Brass and other woodwinds yes :)

You should probably start out with an alto sax, or a tenor, depending on what type of music you like playing more, but alto's usually get more melody parts. I've never heard of starting out with the clarinet first, my friend is a brilliant sax player and she started with the alto, but I'm not an expert.

No one really is an expert, which is why i said everyone's different.

heheheh i jumped from Clarinet-Alto Clarinet-Alto Sax-Trombone-Trumpet-Baritone- to Tenor sax hahahah that was a awesome instrument. I strongly agree with this dude though, Along with your instrument you should highly consider getting your skills with Music Theory up. Let me go find a few of my music theory books and i'll recommend you a few books, as for teacher, yea that sounds like a good idea too... but another friend or a college student you know that can help you with that...and your wallet xD

I'd recommend to start out on Alto, since most beginners I know did so that I've seen.
But if I had the choice I'd do Soprano Sax, my fav instrument. After playing Alto. A really good brand of Sax's are made by Selmer, I always loved there Saxes.
SAS280R.gif

Pure Sex
Selmer Musical Instruments - Saxophones, Clarinets, Bassoons, Oboes

You should be able to pick one up at your local Band House.

100% totally agree with Kazuma!!! Selmar is a excellent brand for saxophones. They have a good sound and it's not that bad with pricing.

my own opinion xD:

-Get a Music Theory book
-Get yourself someone to teach you Music Theory
-I agree with everyone else though, you seem to have a good interest in Saxophone, I say you pursue it. Go with Alto, and who knows maybe later down the lines you can get yourself a Tenor too :) It's alot of fun, i love hitting the low notes on that one... i don't wanna start with talking about the baritone sax, it's like pure intensity xD

Urbane

Who in face are you?!
I've been playing Tenor for a while now.

I played Clarinet for a year, but I just couldn't stand it, so I decided to move up to something jazzier.

I have to say, it was fairly easy to pick up and learn to play. The Tenor, I mean. I have no idea how easy an Alto is to learn, but Tenor has a great sound, if you can play it right... I really have no idea what to say, but the point is, Tenor's aren't too hard to learn.

For the record, my first was a Yamaha, and it wasn't too terrible. It got generally good sound and didn't break too easily. If you want to pick up a Tenor, a Yamaha's probably a good place to start. If you find yourself liking the instrument, you can always move on up to... virtually anything other than a Yamaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back