• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► SAT 2009

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teiku 5

Something About, Baby, You and I...
Website
www.facebook.com
I took SATs and ACTs for college, ACTs were wayyy easier and they're weighed the exact same way.

it depends on the college you go to. some colleges dont even look at ACTs whereas others require them.

but i agree that they're easier. i took mine today and i was suprised at what it was compared to the SAT.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
it depends on the college you go to. some colleges dont even look at ACTs whereas others require them.

but i agree that they're easier. i took mine today and i was suprised at what it was compared to the SAT.

Most colleges take ACTs or SATs. I've never seen one that only takes one. And they convert the ACT score to a standardized SAT score which means they're weighed the same.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
my school said the SAT is more focused on critical thinking/writing and not much math & science, while the ACT is more about everything, and just knowing plain old facts. so it's not necessarily easier, just depends on what your strengths are. i plan on taking the SAT.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
the SAT doesnt matter as much as you think

also, its kind of a cakewalk in retrospective =/

take the ACT too, its much easier

i found the ACT to be easier in all aspects, language, writing, math etc etc

the one thing was the ACT had a science section that I wasnt prepared for =/ but i did fine, its not that bad, and ended up getting a 31/34 much better then my SAT

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
I'd say I'm a better test-taker than retaining information.

I got 600s on the SAT sometime last year, and that was before I had even finished Geometry, simply by just using my test-taking skills that I know. Now that I'm starting Pre-Calculus, I think I have a better chance.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
the SAT doesnt matter as much as you think

also, its kind of a cakewalk in retrospective =/

take the ACT too, its much easier

i found the ACT to be easier in all aspects, language, writing, math etc etc

the one thing was the ACT had a science section that I wasnt prepared for =/ but i did fine, its not that bad, and ended up getting a 31/34 much better then my SAT

ACTs are out of 36. And Dogen, it wouldn't hurt to take both of them. You may end up doing exceptionally well on the ACTs. Link to compare scores: Convert ACT to SAT - How to Convert SAT Scores to ACT Scores

Euphoria

I've been here for 8 years. Wot?
Awards
I'm taking the SATs for the third time next month. I'm a horrible test taker in general, but sitting in room for several hours is not my cup of tea. First time I took it, I had more math sections than I did English, and I am incredibly weak in math so my scores weren't the best. Plus, I was a year behind what I should have been in, so that affected me as well. My second time I had more English sections (seven, I think) and I was incredibly happy. They mix the math, but if I remember correctly, it's geared more towards algebra.

My advices are;
Don't freak out, or at least, try not to. It's a test, yes, but don't let your nerves take over. Usually after the first section or so, you stop feeling that way 'cause you're like, 'oh hay, this isn't so bad :D' Although this differs from person to person, don't freak yourself out -- you have many more opportunities to take the test again.
Taking the test the second time, in my opinion, is much better than the first time. You're not as nervous, and you have some knowledge as to what is on there. So, if you can, plan to take it more than once, it might well just pay off :)
Ask colleges about their views on the SATs. I asked one college I'm applying to how strict they are on scores, and they said they just look at your scores to see 'where you are'. Another college I looked at was the opposite (unfortunately the school I really want to go to lol), and they're very strict on your scores. So, after the first time taking it, look at the SATs scores for the colleges you want to go to. If you're above or somewhat close to what they're asking for, awesome, if you're below, you know now you'll have to improve. But again, GPA is also very important, and some schools may look at that than your SATs.
And the usual; eat breakfast, bring a snack/drink and get a good nights sleep.

Hope that helps~

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Took the SAT in May. Scored a 1950.

And I'd recommend taking the PSAT as it enters you for scholarships. Seeing as how I'm black and (obviously) pretty smart, the offers haven't stopped pouring in. IDK you're race or economic status, but a PSAT definitely couldn't hurt.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
Remembered another reason why you should take the ACTs: most colleges (private universities, at least) require SATs and SAT IIs (subject tests) OR just ACTs (which is already technically a "subject test"). So it's not only easier, but it saves you money and time.

Awards
I wouldn't say I'm someone you ought to take advice from on this.

The first time I took it, I studied a lot, went in, answered every question, got a 1960. I was actually surprised it was so "low" because I felt I knew the answer to almost every one.

Six months later I decided to wing it and see if I could boost my score. Hadn't studied at all in the interval. Got a 2250. I suppose the difference was in my decision to skip some questions which I wasn't so sure of.

If you learned anything from that, don't study and skip questions. (I know you don't lose points if you skip questions, I guess I was surprised the first time at how many I got wrong.)
:D

Remembered another reason why you should take the ACTs: most colleges (private universities, at least) require SATs and SAT IIs (subject tests) OR just ACTs (which is already technically a "subject test"). So it's not only easier, but it saves you money and time.

The ACT is utter bull.
It's the same. exact. thing. as the SAT, just condensed.

Well, not the exact same. They do have a "science" section. Turns out it's just analyzing data, graphs, trends, and all of that good stuff (some of it was harder than it sounds though, surprisingly).
Can't even remember what I got on it because it was such a waste of time. It was above average, but I didn't care.

All of the high end schools that required it only put me on their waiting lists anyway.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Well if according to my SAT study guides, if you want to make between a 700-800 on any part of your SAT, the most questions you can leave blank is 1. lol.

My problem areas I suppose are remembering quadratic equations, absolute value crap, statistics, and rules for angles/shapes in geometry.

Haven't looked at the English portion of my study guides yet, and I better do so. LOL.

Awards
My problem areas I suppose are remembering quadratic equations, absolute value crap, statistics, and rules for angles/shapes in geometry.

They've got most of the formulas and basic info at the beginning of the section that you need.
I don't think it's all there, but most.

Any problem areas of memorization for the math portion, there's an easy solution. Save the formula on to your calculator just in case.
They don't check what you have on there, just that you have an appropriate calculator.

To be honest, I saved some formulas on there for good measure and I don't recall ever having to check.

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
No amount of studying is going to prepare you for the english sections. The difficulty with the languages lies when questions like 'what will Bill say' or 'how should john say this'. Yes, technically, there is a 'proper' way of saying it, but sometimes they're asking for what someone would ACTUALLY say, and very rarely do people speak properly.

Like the above. 'People speak properly very rarely' would probably be better, but I said it in a different way. If you had to choose one of the two for the test, there's a fucking moral quandary with 'do I remain truthful to the real world' or 'do I lie' or 'is it possible to kill myself with this piece of paper?'.

Teiku 5

Something About, Baby, You and I...
Website
www.facebook.com
Like the above. 'People speak properly very rarely' would probably be better, but I said it in a different way. If you had to choose one of the two for the test, there's a fucking moral quandary with 'do I remain truthful to the real world' or 'do I lie' or 'is it possible to kill myself with this piece of paper?'.

i hate the English sections.
i feel stupid when i pick the same letter several times in a row. i feel like maybe i picked the wrong answers XD.

lol @ bold.

Awards
That's why I hate the subjectivity of the reading comprehension sections.

The moral of the story is:
a.) Don't be bad
b.) Be good
c.) Be better than neutral
d.) Act good

LionHeart14

I just took my PSATs a couple weeks ago.
My biggest problem was the time limit lol. We only had 25 minutes per section and each section had anywhere from like 25-40 questions. For the English sections, reading the stupid paragraph things took up most of that time o_O XD
Do the actual SATs have time constraints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back