• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Rumour: A World Based on Frozen 2 Reportedly Considered for Kingdom Hearts 4

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I love Frozen and really enjoyed the Frozen Fever short. But everything after that has been decent to bad when it comes to Frozen. Frozen's popularity has really come back to give it frostbite. The restrictions on Arendelle made it the least fun KH3 world for many, and certainly didn't win over anyone who already didn't like Frozen going into the game. Then there is Frozen 2 the movie. I like the movie, but I also felt it had a lot of missed opportunities in the film too which make it just a okay movie, but not a great one.

A lot of elements (lol) from Frozen 2 could work in the KH universe but only if they are allowed to. The fact that Elsa or Anna were not party members and barely interact with Sora was such a bad choice and one I cannot forgive no matter what the reason. I have no doubt Frozen 2 will be used, but I hope the leash is loosened. Who's even going to be the villain in a Frozen 2 world in a KH game?

Awards
I will acknowledge that Frozen was their biggest hit, but that shouldn’t not mean that they have to limit Frozen 2 this time around. The film was a mess. We know it was a mess because they let us see them develop it and struggle with it the whole way.

At this point, they should be happy for people to come in with fresh eyes and make something that barely came together into something fun and enjoyable for a group of fans.
I hope so. But if this rumor is true, yet they still keep the KH team from doing anything with Frozen 2, I'm gonna be completely convinced that the Frozen group is the worst group to work with.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Doesn't matter which Kingdom Hearts is, there's no way Frozen wouldn't come back. Now I would be happy, if Disney doesn't ruin everything again.

Kingdom Hearts is going for its 20th anniversary and Square is the main reason why a lot of people are still on this ride. Let them have more freedom. They don't have to prove anything anymore.

In Kingdom Hearts 3 base game felt like Square priority was to please Disney first and then they decided to rush the rest.There was never a KH game that made me feel that way and of course that didn't end well.

Fortunately ReMind came out and that definitely felt like it was done for the fans and only us. So good!

Last edited:

Soldier

Awards
*Reads initial post*
Now, I'm going to hope that this is just as it claims to be at the moment: A rumor and nothing more. As I've said countless times before, there are other disney properties worth pursuing that represents an ice level better than frozen II of all things that would give Square more freedom to do what they want. Everyone knows that Frozen sucked in KH 3 and shouldn't have been implemented. It's all based on popularity at this point. It's highly unlikely that we'll see Robin Hood or the Jungle book at this point, because most of what KH 3 had to offer were new worlds that were released after the year 2000 (Olympus Coliseum notwithstanding). Don't you just miss the days were Nomura actually LISTENED to fans instead of doing what he believes is fanservice. At this point, he might as well remake that crappy Olaf short that premiered before Coco in theaters and just shoehorn SDG into the plot.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
*Reads initial post*
Now, I'm going to hope that this is just as it claims to be at the moment: A rumor and nothing more. As I've said countless times before, there are other disney properties worth pursuing that represents an ice level better than frozen II of all things that would give Square more freedom to do what they want. Everyone knows that Frozen sucked in KH 3 and shouldn't have been implemented. It's all based on popularity at this point. It's highly unlikely that we'll see Robin Hood or the Jungle book at this point, because most of what KH 3 had to offer were new worlds that were released after the year 2000 (Olympus Coliseum notwithstanding). Don't you just miss the days were Nomura actually LISTENED to fans instead of doing what he believes is fanservice. At this point, he might as well remake that crappy Olaf short that premiered before Coco in theaters and just shoehorn SDG into the plot.
I'm curious, what Disney properties would do ice better then Frozen 2? Not saying I disagree, I'm generally curious as it's been awhile since I've seen a Disney movie with snow besides...Beauty and the Beast lol.

As for Nomura listening to the fans, I always assumed he was doing what he wanted. When did he listen to the fans about fanservice? I'm a bit confused there. One more thing, don't forget about 100 Acre Woods in KH3 along with Olympus...though I wouldn't blame you if you did forget it XD

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
100 Acre Wood was wholly wasted. I cried, sure, but they didn’t give it the love and respect it deserved. Three minigames that were the same...barely even 10 minutes of a plot...what a waste.

But yes, Nomura and the development team decides what they want to do. It never been about the fans, although they try to take what feedback they receive into consideration.

*Reads initial post*

Frozen was added in before the film ever released. They got an early preview of it long before it released in any territory. I think that what we can glean from the way eat the world operates is that they did prototyping for a really interesting level design and plot, then Frozen blew up when it released and Disney reeled SE in with their plans. That left Nomura and Yasue to figure out what they could do within the new restrictions, and it led to what we got.

It’s the only explanation I can think of for that labyrinth and the weird backtracking and the weird final boss (great boss, just a weird transition to it).

But in general, Nomura has always done what he wants. Disney’s limitations were a result of a growing corporate interest in the franchise, which is why I think Nomura will likely aim for less recent films while still having a few of them in here and there like the old days. The older the IP, the less likely Disney will intervene and interject.

KH3 was a proof of concept in a way. This was their way to show off to Disney and it worked perfectly. Disney hates being involved in any aspect of game development, so I think they will hopefully step back in the future. It’s easy enough for Disney to see the reactions themselves, anyways. Fans hated Frozen in KH. Newcomers were perplexed at the strange scene-by-scene remake. It didn’t appease anybody.

I’m willing to let Frozen 2 be the second attempt where SE can show their real skills just as long as Disney lets them this time. If they can’t get that right, they Frozen needs to stay out of KH forever. I think even SE would agree because if it was rough for us fans to play, imagine how absolutely difficult it was for them to make it while dealing with Disney breathing on their necks.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Regardless of how the world is handled I just hope we get winter clothing this time. Still can't believe the world order decided to let SDG freeze to death instead of giving them proper clothing

Chie

Awards
Maybe the reason Nomura is so interested in the concept of utilizing darkness but not letting it overpower you is because this is how it feels to work with Disney

Cumguardian69

Awards
Maybe the reason Nomura is so interested in the concept of utilizing darkness but not letting it overpower you is because this is how it feels to work with Disney
Or conversely, how it feels to make something for the fans but not letting the fans get to you and undermine the creative process..

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I didn't need this rumour to tell me this or to make me think it. What's next, someone going to report a rumour that the sky is blue?

Unfortunately, the reality is that Frozen 2 will probably be in KH4 - which doesn't excite me at all. I was excited for Frozen 1 in KH3, but after seeing how that panned out, I think I'll just wait for the other world "rumours". The only thing that could possibly make me the slightest bit interested in Frozen 2 being in KH4 is if Elsa is on your team... hopefully she doesn't take up the KH mandated "1 female Disney party member per game" quota, because I would rather other female Disney characters over her on the party.

Awards
Regardless of how the world is handled I just hope we get winter clothing this time. Still can't believe the world order decided to let SDG freeze to death instead of giving them proper clothing
Man, screw Donald, yo. It's his magic. He can make pirate clothes but not winter ones cuz it doesn't work that way?

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I mean, am I too optimistic to expect KINGDOM HEARTS IV/4/WhateverIt'sCalled to be released by 2022?

P.S. I hope I don't have to buy a PS5 to get KH4.

In the name of pushing technology and performance forward, I'm fine with putting KH4 on PS5! Though if that perpetuates the 'lots of mobs that don't do much to fight back' design, we might have a problem, but I don't want to go there in this thread.

As for KH4 being released in 2022, no, that's actually not that unfair of an ask, all things considered. KH3 sold insanely well and I'm sure Disney and Square don't want to wait for the next big hit in the franchise. My guess would probably be 2023.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I mean, am I too optimistic to expect KINGDOM HEARTS IV/4/WhateverIt'sCalled to be released by 2022?

P.S. I hope I don't have to buy a PS5 to get KH4.
2022 for best case scenario, 2023 for realistically.

They pumped KH3 out in four years after resetting to UE4, but the pre-production on the game had been done (worlds selected, contracts with current Disney staff made etc).

If pre-prod for 4 began in 2019, then worlds and contracts would all be done. They don’t have to rebuild everything this time around, so they are reusing a lot of assets. They also have a UE4 workflow established and have their own system in place for it (even if it’s highly unoptimised like Digital Foundry suggested).

Who knows what the thing outside of UXDR, MoM, and 4 is though. Could be like MoM and not be as intense on developing fresh assets and stuff so maybe they could get that out in 2021 / 2022.

Then again, like everyone else on this forum, I’m not a game dev and games take longer to make so who knows! 🤷🏼‍♂️

Chie

Awards
I just don't want to believe that KH4 is on the horizon because I liked games like Days, BBS, etc. a lot more, and would rather see more of that kind of episodic gradual storytelling than have to focus on Sora + Disney advertising for 16 hours again. People who think those other games are "spin-offs" (or as i saw a certain person call them, "tiny games") can just keep being wrong. But it might just be 3 being what it was that makes me apprehensive about 4, and it's entirely possible that 4 will be much better due to focusing on new story beats. I don't know.

The Dark Mamba

Awards
It's obviously highly likely to appear in KH4 but I can't get excited bout this. Arendelle was horribly done in KH3 and I wasn't a big fan of Frozen II.

I'd rather see Elsa and her water horse be summons/links rather than have to see a world based on that movie.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I just don't want to believe that KH4 is on the horizon because I liked games like Days, BBS, etc. a lot more, and would rather see more of that kind of episodic gradual storytelling than have to focus on Sora + Disney advertising for 16 hours again. People who think those other games are "spin-offs" (or as i saw a certain person call them, "tiny games") can just keep being wrong. But it might just be 3 being what it was that makes me apprehensive about 4, and it's entirely possible that 4 will be much better due to focusing on new story beats. I don't know.
Regardless of what other titles have come out, it taking 13 to get from 2 to 3 is no way to run a game series. In a better world we would be talking about KH6 about now!

Back