• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► [RUMORS] Harry Potter Live-Action TV-series in Early Development

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I thought JK Rowling was hailed as a bastion of inclusivity? When did all this hate and cancellation happen?

The only bad thing that I remember/known that JK Rowling ever did was have Harry and Ginny get together over Harry/Hermione or Harry/Luna.

She never was. Did you miss people pointing out Cho Chang's name is really stupid, or when she revealed all of the international magic schools they read like child's first attempt at researching languages and cultures, or that time when she said she imagined Hermoine as black even though the books very clearly describe Hermoine with pale skin and everybody was like "wtf lady come on", then made sure her words were true by making sure they cast a black actress in the stage play (which I did enjoy and prefer but it was the fact that Hermoine was clearly not intended to be black and JK Rowling just wanted brownie points again)

EDIT: Oh and the time she made a Korean woman turn into a snake permanently then aligned herself with Voldemort, a new evil fascist and genocidal psychopath, some decades later...

Besides the Contrapoints video I keep recommending you watch, I also recommend you watch Lindsey Ellis' video about JK Rowling as well as Sarah Z's video. They both present very good points about JK Rowling and cover both her current TERF bs and some of her really egregious crap from the past.

They are humorous, entertaining, and educational so it's not like it's a bland experience.

Oh, come on..

First she's a transphobe. Fine, that's arguable.

But then a trans denier, too.

Then a homophobe who thinks gay men are nazi sympathisers.

Now she's a homosexuality denier on top of all that.

By the time this thread reaches page three JK Rowling will literally be Satan.

I mean when the lady uses a pen name that is the same name as the person who invented gay conversion therapy and even after it was pointed out by everybody, doubled down on the name and still uses the pen name...I don't know what to say.

Nobody said she thinks gay men are Nazi sympathizers, but rather it was just really an ill-fated choice to make Dumbledore gay then also have him be in love with an evil dark lord who aligned himself with the Nazis during WW2, then never made it canon in the actual films that Dumbledore is gay but continued to discuss his tantric sex life with his evil crush in interviews.

Also she said wizards shit and peed where they stood and vanished it. I'm absolutely THIS close to calling her Satan.

Soldier

Awards
She never was. Did you miss people pointing out Cho Chang's name is really stupid, or when she revealed all of the international magic schools they read like child's first attempt at researching languages and cultures, or that time when she said she imagined Hermoine as black even though the books very clearly describe Hermoine with pale skin and everybody was like "wtf lady come on", then made sure her words were true by making sure they cast a black actress in the stage play (which I did enjoy and prefer but it was the fact that Hermoine was clearly not intended to be black and JK Rowling just wanted brownie points again)

EDIT: Oh and the time she made a Korean woman turn into a snake permanently then aligned herself with Voldemort, a new evil fascist and genocidal psychopath, some decades later...

Besides the Contrapoints video I keep recommending you watch, I also recommend you watch Lindsey Ellis' video about JK Rowling as well as Sarah Z's video. They both present very good points about JK Rowling and cover both her current TERF bs and some of her really egregious crap from the past.

They are humorous, entertaining, and educational so it's not like it's a bland experience.

I mean when the lady uses a pen name that is the same name as the person who invented gay conversion therapy and even after it was pointed out by everybody, doubled down on the name and still uses the pen name...I don't know what to say.

Nobody said she thinks gay men are Nazi sympathizers, but rather it was just really an ill-fated choice to make Dumbledore gay then also have him be in love with an evil dark lord who aligned himself with the Nazis during WW2, then never made it canon in the actual films that Dumbledore is gay but continued to discuss his tantric sex life with his evil crush in interviews.

Also she said wizards shit and peed where they stood and vanished it. I'm absolutely THIS close to calling her Satan.
That last tidbit had me in tears when I read it, then what the hell was the point of the bathroom scene in the original movie? to show off a dingy bathroom?

Someone really ought to knock her down a peg you know?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
That last tidbit had me in tears when I read it, then what the hell was the point of the bathroom scene in the original movie? to show off a dingy bathroom?

Someone really ought to knock her down a peg you know?

Well once modern plumbing was invented, wizards stopped their weird ass poopin'. Literally the weirdest thing to discover about this franchise lol

I'm honestly hoping that Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson D+ series really hits it off with audiences. He's made a lot of promises about genuine diversity and inclusion in his script for the show. He also has actual canon LGBTQ+ characters that play major roles in his books. I know he won't ever top JK Rowling's level of fame, but it would be nice to see him get proper recognition for his genuine attempts at good representation.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I like Percy Jackson--at least the first five books--although not as much as HP. I guess once it started to branch out from Percy and Annabeth as the protagonists, I stopped caring. I did like Nico though. I heard he later got a book of his own or something? I'm boring, I guess, because I don't like switching narrators or characters. It's never the same for me. It's the same way I feel when KH puts characters other than Sora and Riku in the driver's seat.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I like Percy Jackson--at least the first five books--although not as much as HP. I guess once it started to branch out from Percy and Annabeth as the protagonists, I stopped caring. I did like Nico though. I heard he later got a book of his own or something? I'm boring, I guess, because I don't like switching narrators or characters. It's never the same for me. It's the same way I feel when KH puts characters other than Sora and Riku in the driver's seat.

He has it all separated into series. First is the Percy Jackson books which focus on Percy, then the Heroes of Olympus which switch view points between the different half-bloods and gods from Greek and Roman lore, the Trials of Apollo which focus on...Apollo lol, then he goes into other mythologies like Norse and Egyptian in the Magnus Chase and Kane Chronicles series respectfully.

Outside of the Heroes of Olympus, the franchise tends to focus on one character per series.

Zul

Awards
She supported Johnny Depp even after allegations of his abuse to his wife Amber Heard as he was one of the stars in Fantastic Beasts

There's audio of Amber admitting she hit Depp...it'd be questionable to support him if there was solid evidence he did the abuse and evidence that she didn't. As it stands right now, she took full advantage of the #metoo movement to vilify him.

The main problem here though, is that you presented it as a flaw to support him after allegations alone. You don't lash out at people based on claims and allegations, you use evidence, and only evidence. It takes the slightest bit of empathy to understand that, ask the simple question "what if I was accused of a crime I didn't commit, and everyone believed I committed it without waiting for evidence?". You'd latch onto "innocent until proven guilty" like glue if it was you, yet a lot of you can't be bothered to lean towards that in the slightest when it comes to others.

all of the international magic schools they read like child's first attempt at researching languages and cultures

"Oh cool there's a Japanese school called Mahoutokoro"

*looks up Mahoutokoro*

"Magic Spot".......

Also, I'd like to point out from the article.

While it's news that executives at HBO Max and Warners are engaged in meetings to find a writer and pitch for a Harry Potter TV series, no writers or talent are currently attached as the conversations are still in the extremely early stages and no deals have been made. "There are no Harry Potter series in development at the studio or on the streaming platform," HBO Max and Warner Bros. reaffirmed in a statement to THR.

They're talking about it, but nothing is actually being made right now, it can still be scrapped.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

I didn't have the internet back when Goblet of Fire came out, so I never heard people attack Cho Chang's name. I mean it does sound like she's trying to emphasize "hey this character is Asian FYI", but I don't necessarily think it's a stupid name.

The international magic schools in Goblet of Fire were probably intended to be an introduction for children to foreign schools. Maybe reading that now as an adult is different, but these books were made for children at a time when the world was not as connected as it is today.

I do remember people applauding her online for demanding that Hermione was black in the stage play. I only really heard about that because I was in NYC around the time that play debuted and it was a hot topic that people were really happy about. I don't see what the issue is for "wanting brownie points" when tons of franchises are retconning established characters for those same "brownie points".

Was Nagini ever described as a Korean woman in the books? I only ever remember reading that she was a snake.

I don't know about all of that Nazi stuff, but I just remember seeing people celebrate Dumbledore being declared gay, and attacking her for making him gay. I just thought that was stupid to do via interview or twitter or whatever, because what's the point if Dumbledore is never presented as a gay character in the books/films. I don't really think that's representation.

Also, that stuff about how wizards use the bathroom is just weird and I have no idea why anyone would even say that.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I didn't have the internet back when Goblet of Fire came out, so I never heard people attack Cho Chang's name. I mean it does sound like she's trying to emphasize "hey this character is Asian FYI", but I don't necessarily think it's a stupid name.

The international magic schools in Goblet of Fire were probably intended to be an introduction for children to foreign schools. Maybe reading that now as an adult is different, but these books were made for children at a time when the world was not as connected as it is today.

I do remember people applauding her online for demanding that Hermione was black in the stage play. I only really heard about that because I was in NYC around the time that play debuted and it was a hot topic that people were really happy about. I don't see what the issue is for "wanting brownie points" when tons of franchises are retconning established characters for those same "brownie points".

Was Nagini ever described as a Korean woman in the books? I only ever remember reading that she was a snake.

I don't know about all of that Nazi stuff, but I just remember seeing people celebrate Dumbledore being declared gay, and attacking her for making him gay. I just thought that was stupid to do via interview or twitter or whatever, because what's the point if Dumbledore is never presented as a gay character in the books/films. I don't really think that's representation.

Also, that stuff about how wizards use the bathroom is just weird and I have no idea why anyone would even say that.

"Cho" "Chang" are two last names. Many Korean people find it rather odd to see.

I'm talking about Pottermore's international schools, not the ones in Goblet of Fire. Mahoutokoro and whatever the American school is called with all of the Native American lore. It's all pretty...bare bones and basic, like she just googled "What is the word for magic in Japanese" and "what do Japanese people wear".

There is retconning and acknowledging that it is being retconned, and then there is saying "I always intended for this to be the truth", the latter of which is what JK Rowling did. Like I said, I actually liked that Hermoine is black in the stage play and it is one of the few things I've been fine about from the post-HP statements from JK Rowling, but there is absolutely no doubt she was doing it for brownie points because of the way she made it seem like it was always her intention when it was proven that it wasn't. She's even gone on record to say that Emma Watson was always Hermione when she first saw her during the casting of the first film.

Nagini is a Korean woman in Fantastic Beasts 2. She is cursed to forcibly transform into a snake and is trapped in the magical circus as a show freak. Her curse will eventually progress to the point where she is a snake permanently. At the end of FB2 she is aligned with the good guys, but it's clear something happens between that film and Harry Potter because she becomes evil and follows after Voldemort then dies a very awful death after living a very awful life.

No, it isn't representation at all. It's just another way for her to get brownie points without putting in any effort to write it into her books or put it in the films as actual fact. I don't count Dumbledore looking wistful and characters saying they were close as being any confirmation of anything.

You haven't seen the Fantastic Beast films, have you? I would say watch them but also I think they are full of potential but woefully bland and show how poor of a screenwriter JK Rowling is.

Ask JK Rowling why she said that lol. She put that up on Pottermore. It was really the weirdest day. Internet memes were born. Joanne has been a mess for awhile now.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
"Cho" "Chang" are two last names. Many Korean people find it rather odd to see.

I'm talking about Pottermore's international schools, not the ones in Goblet of Fire. Mahoutokoro and whatever the American school is called with all of the Native American lore. It's all pretty...bare bones and basic, like she just googled "What is the word for magic in Japanese" and "what do Japanese people wear".

There is retconning and acknowledging that it is being retconned, and then there is saying "I always intended for this to be the truth", the latter of which is what JK Rowling did. Like I said, I actually liked that Hermoine is black in the stage play and it is one of the few things I've been fine about from the post-HP statements from JK Rowling, but there is absolutely no doubt she was doing it for brownie points because of the way she made it seem like it was always her intention when it was proven that it wasn't. She's even gone on record to say that Emma Watson was always Hermione when she first saw her during the casting of the first film.

Nagini is a Korean woman in Fantastic Beasts 2. She is cursed to forcibly transform into a snake and is trapped in the magical circus as a show freak. Her curse will eventually progress to the point where she is a snake permanently. At the end of FB2 she is aligned with the good guys, but it's clear something happens between that film and Harry Potter because she becomes evil and follows after Voldemort then dies a very awful death after living a very awful life.

No, it isn't representation at all. It's just another way for her to get brownie points without putting in any effort to write it into her books or put it in the films as actual fact. I don't count Dumbledore looking wistful and characters saying they were close as being any confirmation of anything.

You haven't seen the Fantastic Beast films, have you? I would say watch them but also I think they are full of potential but woefully bland and show how poor of a screenwriter JK Rowling is.

Ask JK Rowling why she said that lol. She put that up on Pottermore. It was really the weirdest day. Internet memes were born. Joanne has been a mess for awhile now.

I kind of wanted to watch Fantastic Beasts, but I've never been into the Harry Potter world beyond the original books/film. Even the play I never bothered to go see or even read. What you're saying about Nagini is making me not want to bother watch it ever. I vaguely remember actually seeing the trailer for the film and being mildly interested, but if Nagini's story is going to be horrible, then I'm not going to bother because I was actually interested in Nagini from the original books. I can't remember if the books actually said that Nagini was a person, but I liked the idea of Voldemort taming/befriending an actual giant snake thing.

It's kind of dumb that JK Rowling didn't actually say that Hermione was black from the get-go. It would have added to the whole "mudblood" thing on another level with the way Draco would treat her.

And I thought Pottermore was a child friendly site? What child wants to read that wizards pooped on the spot then used magic to vanish it.

To be honest, I always thought that Harry Potter should have just ended with the last book and film. She should have just shut up and enjoyed her millions. It's not like she had to do anything else for the rest of her life. Even the Dumbledore thing, it's like why even say that? Maybe it's where I lived, but that actually was a negative for gay people. A lot of people got angry over it and actually insinuated that Dumbledore was "into" Harry and that's why he helped him so much and was always around him. So it didn't help any cause at all.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I remember watching them and thinking they come off as bad adaptions of interesting books necer written.
But quite honestly I'm kind of glad they turned out so bad, this way i can just say I found the last two entries so horrible that I dont want to see anything more from that world.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
I'm sharing the Contrapoints video again just to emphasize that it explains everything wrong with JK Rowling and why she is a TERF.

I know you posted this three times. I'm not ignoring it. It's just a) I don't really 'debate' with youtube videos and b) I don't want to base any arguments in opposition to concerns I don't actually disagree with. I have full sympathy for her concerns. For so many trans people, getting through any given day can be an existential struggle. For most others, it's a burden many of us can't appreciate.

However, this is not a zero sum game. It's not either/or. Women have faced hell throughout history at the hands of men. We're all complicit. To claim there are zero issues cis women face that trans women don't is as intellectually vacuous as claiming there are zero issues trans women face that don't also impact cis women.

I'm a cis man and have no special insight or vested interest here. That's another reason I don't want to get too deep into factional debate over things that impact those I'm debating far more than they impact myself. But I have sympathy for Rowling's intellectual position and the vérité concerns facing transfolk. That might sound contradictory, but I don't think it is. I submit that contradictory truths can often, at once, ring true.

Last edited:

WaltK

Awards
And I thought Pottermore was a child friendly site? What child wants to read that wizards pooped on the spot then used magic to vanish it.

Poop and pee is something that kids tend to find hilarious. At least British kids do. When I was growing up, finding a way to work bodily functions into a conversation, and corrupting songs by changing the lyrics to incorporate them and other gross things was the height of comedy.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I watched the movies at least once growing up. I bought the first book and never got through it. Borrowed the other books and still never got through them. I dunno why.

But now a days, I'm happy I was never a huge potterhead. Imagine your favorite book writer turns out to be a bigot. Yes, she's a bigot. It's not a matter of "Oh but she just didn't know or understand trans issues!" People have explained trans issues to her. She just doesn't care. One time a long time ago, a man sexually assaulted her so now all men are dangerous and we can't let MEN (trans women) into our bathrooms because they're dangerous. Because they're just MEN who call themselves women and play dress up. BIOLOGICAL SEX IS REAL.

I don't feel sympathy for her because she's a rich white woman with plenty of resources and people willingly explaining what the actual issues are and ways to make her "feel safe" from her irrational fear of trans women who go through great ordeals to who they are, passing or not.

Because let's be real, not everyone can pass yet. Our technology just isn't at that point.

But what really confuses me about people like her? She writes these "deep" fantasy stories where any kind of magic is real. It's not that different from sci-fi. Why in the world is the idea of someone changing their gender, not sex, so.... dangerous? How many sci-fi books and movies are out there about people changing their gender (or ACTUAL sex) at the flip of a button just because they can?

Was that kind of scientific advancement only allowed to happen in the fictional future or fictional world? Are we not allowed to have such a thing in reality? Is it really that big of a deal?

People like her are the actual dangerous ones. She has money, power, and a voice. In the UK I believe, they just passed laws making it harder for trans people to acquire hormone blockers in their teens without a court order to go along with their doctor recommendations. Imagine having to put yourself in front of a judge or court or whatever and convince them you do indeed have body dysmorphia and at least slowing down your puberty until you figure yourself out will help your mental state?

Because that's all hormone blockers are. They're stalling until you're ready to make a decision. And if after working things out, you realize you aren't trans, guess what? You stop taking them (per doctor's recommendation) and grow as you normally would.

People like her have convinced people that hormone blockers are the equivalent of taking actual hormones, or that a bunch of teenage boys and girls are acting like they're trans because it's cool and regretting it later.

You know who hormone blockers help? People who aren't actually sure they're trans. It gives them time before they make a mistake. I don't understand why anyone except willingly ignorant people can't understand that. People need to listen to trans people about trans issues instead of inserting their own thoughts and feelings on it. (everything I said here is a lesser paraphrased version of information I learned from watching trans people discuss being trans. Something people like JK should do.)

I didn't even mention the weird swath of TERF lesbians popping out of the woodwork lately fearmongering about "going extinct" because transmen (some being former lesbians) are realizing they're actually men, not butch/masculine lesbians, but men. The freak out over Elliot Page was beyond ridiculous and stupid.

Don't give these people an inch because they will take a mile. They're ignorant losers who refuse to listen or understand. They're in a bubble and too many of them refuse to come out and hear what people have to say.

P.S: There is nothing, NOTHING, stopping a man right now from pretending to be a woman to get into womens spaces to attack them. No law is going to stop a sexual assaulter from sexually assaulting you. Is that clear? IT'S ALREADY AGAINST THE LAW TO ASSAULT PEOPLE, your rules about dicks must go to the dick bathrooms and vaginas must go to the vagina bathrooms won't stop evil dick man from barging into the vagina bathroom to do illegal stuff.

It never will.

Last edited:
Back