• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

[RUMOR] Final Fantasy game based off FF1 by Team Ninja in dev, demo coming this summer

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Darkest and most violent FF game yet? Interesting. After FF7 it does kind of make sense to do a sort of reboot of FF1 since it was the game to start it all

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Darkest and most violent FF game yet? Interesting. After FF7 it does kind of make sense to do a sort of reboot of FF1 since it was the game to start it all
Yeah, and it’s been soft rebooted at least twice already.

Just remembered this rumor that was floating around last year this time: https://www.thegamer.com/final-fantasy-xvi-steampunk-soulslike-rumor/

Guess it may have had some weight to it after all, though they confused it for FFXVI.
Very possible the info just got more vague as it went down the vine and eventually both XVI and this project got mixed together as one thing.

I mean, who would have expected two big FF projects to be in development?

And for both to be so far along?

Keyblade Knight 1st Class

Awards
This is exciting news (if it's true) but the decision to base it on FF1 is an odd one. A world with deeper lore (Ivalice for example) would be a more interesting setting for a Souls-like game in my opinion.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
This is exciting news (if it's true) but the decision to base it on FF1 is an odd one. A world with deeper lore (Ivalice for example) would be a more interesting setting for a Souls-like game in my opinion.
It's true. It just has to be labeled as rumor because nobody wants to be liable and get blacklisted by SE. The assets including screenshots, footage, everything...it's all out there being shared amongst the press.

Perkilator

Awards
Wow, this is pretty exciting news if true!

Wouldn’t be surprised if people were turned off just for having Nomura, though

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I think FF1 is really the best way to go because it's as close to a blank slate as they can get. They're setting the game in an established world that has barely been fleshed out, so they have a lot of room to make their own canon without dealing with any restrictions caused by pre-existing lore or designs that have taken a firm hold within the popular mindset.

Awards
I think FF1 is really the best way to go because it's as close to a blank slate as they can get. They're setting the game in an established world that has barely been fleshed out, so they have a lot of room to make their own canon without dealing with any restrictions caused by pre-existing lore or designs that have taken a firm hold within the popular mindset.
When you put it that way it makes a lot of sense.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
so basically Kingom Hearts but NO disney
No, not even a little bit. FF1 is a medieval fantasy where the villain has caused a time loop to remain in power as Chaos. The heroes need to break the loop and stop the villain.

It is the prototype and foundation of the company’s modern storytelling style.

This game will be based within that world. People are theorizing it is about Garland’s rise to power before he ever meets the Warrior of Light.

It being a Souls-type game means it probably has a lot of roguelike elements, which fits well into the whole “time loop” concept.

Kingdom Hearts really isn’t anything like this besides having a time travel mechanic in it that is just a plot device rather than a core aspect of the story.

yamibakura95

Awards
No, not even a little bit. FF1 is a medieval fantasy where the villain has caused a time loop to remain in power as Chaos. The heroes need to break the loop and stop the villain.

It is the prototype and foundation of the company’s modern storytelling style.

This game will be based within that world. People are theorizing it is about Garland’s rise to power before he ever meets the Warrior of Light.

It being a Souls-type game means it probably has a lot of roguelike elements, which fits well into the whole “time loop” concept.

Kingdom Hearts really isn’t anything like this besides having a time travel mechanic in it that is just a plot device rather than a core aspect of the story.

but wasnt kh1 a bit mediaval though?

shuyin_zer0

Awards
Between this and the 1-6 collection being teased on that board (and 16/Forspoken/etc), this was probably going to be one of Square’s best e3s. I’m both sad that shit is going to leak, but also very thirsty for that footage lol.

Awards
Back in the day (when I was young and naive) I thought for sure that Dirge of Cerberus was going to be a massive hit. I believed that we would inevitably get sequels that would not only continue to follow Vincent, but also include characters like Barret and Rufus. I figured eventually Square Enix would become so shooter obsessed that every gun-toting character in the franchise would get their own spin-off, whether it was Irvine from FFVIII or X-2's version of Yuna. But Dirge of Cerberus turned out to kinda suck and my dreams of Final Fantasy shooters becoming a thing died a quick death.

With that out of the way, I think it would be great if that happens with Origin. Direct sequels set in the universe of the original game are to be expected, but they could also make games set in other universes. One possible game could be Final Fantasy VII:Origin where you play as a Cetra after Jenova arrives. It's probably not a good idea to revert to boyhood and get my hopes up for something that may never happen, but I just got really excited by all the possibilities.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I’ll be interested to see (if this is a success) whether a sequel would continue the story in the FF1 universe or if they’d move on to FFII and do one for each mainline game. I’d like to see an FFX prequel following Jecht, Braska, and Auron.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Huh…this a really strange project. Well I’m definitely curious to see how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back