• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Roxas: How does he wield specifically Oblivion and Oathkeeper?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I was wondering why Roxas is able to wield Oblivion and Oathkeeper specifically? I know that the two keyblades are Sora's and Ven's, but why is it those two and not just the default Kingdom Key and Ven's default? Is there any given explanation?

Gram

Banned
Awards
Blame it on keychains. Master Xehanort used an alternate one when Young Xehanort whipped out his keyblade as well. And before Roxas changed their forms he summoned to kingdom keys rather than one of them having Ven's keychain.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Yep, it's all Keychains. Keychains everywhere.

The two Kingdom Keys thing bothers me more than anything else because Days/BBS were being worked on around the same time so there's not actually any excuse to have not had it be Ven's Wayward Wind.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

The two Kingdom Keys thing bothers me more than anything else because Days/BBS were being worked on around the same time so there's not actually any excuse to have not had it be Ven's Wayward Wind.

well they already showed him wielding them in II, there was symbolism about keeping his oath to xion, and oblivion was his general state of mind it seemed. also, maybe they didn't want to animate a ds model for the keyblade (which is strange considering the sheer amount of weapons in that game but many of them were palette swaps so w/e) or roxas wielding it.

but now i wonder, why was the x-blade depicted with two keyblades? i understand the sybolism with ventus and vanitas but does such an ancient weapon perhaps have multiple forms, depending on the hearts used to conjure it?

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
well they already showed him wielding them in II, there was symbolism about keeping his oath to xion, and oblivion was his general state of mind it seemed. also, maybe they didn't want to animate a ds model for the keyblade (which is strange considering the sheer amount of weapons in that game but many of them were palette swaps so w/e) or roxas wielding it.
I don't care that they used the Oathkeeper and Oblivion, I just hate that the second Keyblade is a Kingdom Key. xD

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
\
I don't care that they used the Oathkeeper and Oblivion, I just hate that the second Keyblade is a Kingdom Key. xD

but taochan, don't you get the foreshadowing? its the greatest plot convenience laziness can have.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Using Wayward Wind however would have immediately (and unmistakenly) cleared up to who the second Keyblade ultimatively belonged and thus have spoiled much of BBS and Ven's eventual fate.
Such a plain and simple explanation (and even in-game!) is something that won't be happening with someone like Nomura.

In-universe though, I would assume that Wayward Wind, which is Ven's personal Keychain, is simply not accessible for Roxas or anyone else except Ven himself.
That Roxas can use Kingdom Key (Sora's personal keychain) can be retraced to him being Sora's Nobody as well as the close relationship he shares with Sora.

Then there is the (admittedly nitpicky) issue of aesthetic look as well.
Ventus' Wayward Wind is not only shorter than any other Keyblade both Sora and Roxas wield, it's also specifically designed for backhand-wielding and thus would not have really "fit" with how Roxas holds the two blades in the Days-scene before they change to Oathkeeper and Oblivion.

KeyToNothing

Awards
I always thought it was to symbolise Sora's connection to Riku and Kairi myself. However, when trying to theorize KH, it hurts my brain. That's what I think anyway.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I always thought it was to symbolise Sora's connection to Riku and Kairi myself. However, when trying to theorize KH, it hurts my brain. That's what I think anyway.

They do symbolize Riku and Kairi as far as Sora is concerned. But that's KH1. Their symbolism was expanded a bit during Days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back