• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Roxas and Axel's goodbyes - Scene analysis

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
This scene:
[video=youtube_share;FcJ7sTSDNe0]http://youtu.be/FcJ7sTSDNe0[/video]

I feel like I don't 100% get the feeling of this extremely sad final meeting between Axel and Roxas.
I'm not really sure when this scene appears, it's after the Sora VS Roxas battle, right? By that time, Axel was dead.
Rewatching this scene, I was observant of every single line that they speak. Maximum attention, I wanted to get the feeling right, but I was surprised to hear Roxas' voice so... half-hearted (no pun!). It was like the voice acting, for once, was bad, but I don't want to believe that.
In 358/2 Days' opening, the original scene -- when Axel for the first time asks Roxas if he's sure he doesn't have a heart -- plays, so comparison can be made; I think Roxas' voice is just perfect in this one:

[video=youtube_share;6iqS5N8QH8w]http://youtu.be/6iqS5N8QH8w?t=30s[/video]

In that KH2 scene, Roxas' voice sounds as if he's sick of so many questions, as if he doesn't really know what to think about it anymore and doesn't really care, he met his end anyway. It is Roxas' voice and his feelings here that I'm unsure what to think of. I can totally read what Axel feels, his voice is just extremely expressive in that scene.

I want to hear as many opinions and interpretations as possible :< I want to get rid of this empty feeling in my heart caused by not fully understanding such a meaningful scene.

What happened there more precisely...? Gosh, my memories of KH2 are dusty...

SoraForeverKH

That is funny actually...because I totally teared up, mainly because of the tone and sense of sorrow in Axel, but... The scene is very complex, making it hard to even catch on to what they're talking about. I think the part which boggles my mind the most about it is how and why and what they mean by talking to each others consciouses as they appear to do. How is this really possible I wonder...
But as far as meaningful and touching, as I said it totally got me. My favorite character is Sora, so I think I'm kind of sappy now, more than ever. Lol
I'm interested in helping you understand any of the parts you are having trouble understanding.
I thought Roxas almost sounded too cheerful at the same time, but after thinking about it, I believe it has a huge part to do with him being closer to Sora's heart now, allowing him to probably think and feel more optimistic and caring. Meaning...Sora's Light was probably making him feel warmhearted inside. It seems whenever somebody gets close to Sora they begin to feel this way, as we have been shown throughout many games in the series.
Axel definitely sounded choked up though, especially when he said, "Man, this is some good ice cream, huh." That really got to me. But the way Roxas is hinting maybe him starting to really feel Ventus as he rejoins with Sora, he almost seems happy, happier and more peaceful than he has ever felt so far in the series. It could have somethin to do wit his heart, too. But even the most depressed characters find peace in Sora's warm heart, like Ven at the end of BBS. I doubt he was feeling very happy then.
I would say Roxas for once feels more hopeful now.

DarkGrey Heroine

Awards
Axel definitely sounded choked up though, especially when he said, "Man, this is some good ice cream, huh." That really got to me.

In the direct Japanese translation, Axel said "Man, this ice cream is really salty" which means a lot more ;__;
I didn't consider the fact the Roxas might actually start feeling happy here. Perhaps it's the bittersweet feeling you get when you know this is the end for you, yet you will somehow live on... But Axel is just in bitter pain.
I think this meeting of theirs is on a mind/consciousness level, before Roxas falls asleep in Sora's heart after their battle. As for Axel being there, maybe it's like Roxas' last wish before he fades away, to go to that place he called home again, and Axel's mind (or what's left of it) traveled there too..

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
In the direct Japanese translation, Axel said "Man, this ice cream is really salty" which means a lot more ;__;
I didn't consider the fact the Roxas might actually start feeling happy here. Perhaps it's the bittersweet feeling you get when you know this is the end for you, yet you will somehow live on... But Axel is just in bitter pain.
I think this meeting of theirs is on a mind/consciousness level, before Roxas falls asleep in Sora's heart after their battle. As for Axel being there, maybe it's like Roxas' last wish before he fades away, to go to that place he called home again, and Axel's mind (or what's left of it) traveled there too..

Roxas and Axel are able to talk, subconsciously, while they pass on between spaces and points of existence. It's a lot like Blank Points, the characters don't exist in a physical sense, but are united for a moment. They break out of their trances of sleep and acknowledge this connection, even symbolically, when they "feel Sora". Here Axel is fading away, Roxas is rejoining with Sora and so they meet in the middle one last time.

This connection between Axel and Roxas appears again in 3D, while Axel is recompleting as Lea and he makes contact with Roxas before waking up:

[video=youtube;xNpXa2VXYU8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNpXa2VXYU8[/video]

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i always thought the "but who will i eat ice cream with?" line with xion was a little odd but considering all he did with friends was eat sea salt ice cream, and that WAS his idea of friendship. as could be the case here.

however i believe you're talking about the voice acting of a completely different scene so disregard that, but when you said the japanese version sounded bad yet the english dub sounded better, keep in mind words flow differently in the english language than they do in japanese.

DarkGrey Heroine

Awards
i always thought the "but who will i eat ice cream with?" line with xion was a little odd but considering all he did with friends was eat sea salt ice cream, and that WAS his idea of friendship. as could be the case here.

however i believe you're talking about the voice acting of a completely different scene so disregard that, but when you said the japanese version sounded bad yet the english dub sounded better, keep in mind words flow differently in the english language than they do in japanese.

I never said the Japanese dub sounded bad, or that the English dub sounded better. I was referring to Roxas' voice acting in English in the first video I posted here. It seemed different and a little off for me in that scene, but I said I might not read the scene well enough so blaming it on bad voice acting is not an option.

SoraForeverKH

e direct Japanese translation, Axelthis ice cream is really salty" which means a lot more ;__;

I had no idea that was what the Japanese Axel said. Thanks for sharing that with me. I like that, too.
Yeah, them meeting in that manner does seem to make sense. It just seems Incredible that they were able to do that, i think. Perhaps it does have something to do with how strongly they want to see each other at the time, last wishes. They obviously share a strong bond.
Sorry if the original message got deleted in some areas above, my types is crazy sometimes! I try...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back