• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Romance

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
It's been on my mind for awhile now because, we see romance almost every where in television, books, movies, games, music, and ect. I feel like it's become a natural formula to be expected in almost everything we do, and without it, we can't be entertained by the things we like without it in social media. I know some of it has more to do with the TYPE of relationship being displayed in media these days. But I also think it's come to be expected in some shape or form. Like for a good while, Disney movies would involve the usual hetero-relationship of a prince/demi god/ thief getting the girl by the end of it until it became more about family and siblings. (I haven't seen some of the more recently Disney movies besides Frozen. xD)

TLDR

I'm asking if you'd prefer to see different types of relationships done?
If you feel romance is overrated?
If you'd prefer romance to be used less?
Do you think a tv series could survive without a form of romance involved?

Last edited:

Kounelli

Awards
I don't think the problem is that there is too much romance as much as it's the TYPE of romance being consistently shown. Romance is an interesting concept of being able to cherish someone on a deeper level than with family or friends and engage in more intimate activities, it's just what we do as people.

The problem is that we don't get to explore much of anything outside of the typical display of heterosexual, people of Caucasian origin romances, so it becomes mundane and overplayed. Not that we can't still enjoy them or create imaginative scenarios with this type of romance, it's just that it would be nice to give the spot-light to other kinds as well. I don't see an issue with having a romance in everything as long as it's balanced with other types of relationships as well. Platonic, gay, bi-racial, familial, etc. should all have a place in media.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
^ Then do you have a preference of what you'd prefer over hetero-relationships?

I really do like the way you put it, Kounelli, because, I was trying to root to the center of it and got partially lost with where I was going with the subject at hand. xD As for myself, I wouldn't mind seeing more platonic relationships in media instead of the usual hetero-romantic relationships in media all of the time. I know a good amount of people would prefer the opposite of hetero relationships, myself included, but sometimes I think the notion of romance can be overwhelming after awhile. I know I could change what I read or watch to fix that. It just seems surprising that my attention becomes less focused in a way. I feel like any romantic notion has influenced my joy of other things to a degree.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I kinda don't like the WAY it's often implemented. If there's a movie that's action-heavy and a weird romance is thrown in my face like "WOOHOO WOMEN WILL WATCH THIS IF WE INCLUDE KISSES" then it's stupid to me. It should make sense and a romantic relationship should be shown, not told. Same with books or games.

Kounelli

Awards
@ Cinder
Not so much a preference over hetero as more of a, "okay this couple's cute but where are mah 'gals being pals'!" xD
I'm not extremely picky either so as long as a romance can resonate with me then it doesn't bother me as much.

But I do agree that platonic relationships need to be shown more. Friendship is important, and all too often, it can loose itself with obligatory, "these friends became lovers!" tropes. Although I must admit, I do have many childhood friends to lovers ships, but again, that's why I feel balance is important. Not everything has to have romance, but if it does, then it better spice things up a bit haha.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Romance is fine if it's well and interestingly written. Which very rarely happens because it's so easy to just be lazy and go with the basic format everytime and most people will still like it. Basic straight romance can be interesting and good if the characters feel relatable, real, and they have good chemistry and it's built up well. So often the only apparent reason they get together is that they just happened to both be there, so of course they love each other. Not good. On a personal level though, what I would like to see more is

1. Romantic relationships between people of the same gender
2. Platonic relationships between people of different genders.

Just as much as a man and a woman being close almost always ends up in a relationship, same gender friendships are often written in this weird way where the two are obviously the most important people to each other and have amazing chemistry, tons of development... and then it's still just pals being pals in the end and they both get some random chick or dude in the end. I don't like relationships that are forced and obviously just there because they need to be. If it fits the plot and the characters, sure.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I wouldn't prefer anything like an LGBT relationship over anything else (romance is just romance to me), but I guess a more friendly less "I'm infatuated with you my love" cheesy Romeo & Juliet romance would be nice every once in a while.

I'm a huge sucker for romantic movies, it's really bad xD I feel like romance is just such an integral part of my character that I end up wanting to see it everywhere (maybe that's why I'm so blindly for Sora x Kairi?).

I think romance should stay the same, I just love seeing it too much :D

I think a TV show could ABSOLUTELY survive without any kind of romance involved, but relationships (even platonic) would have to be necessary for me to really get into it.

Peace

Awards
Hmm. You raise a lot of interesting questions. Ones that I've never thought of and don't have full confidence in answering but I'll try. Albeit, out of the order in the OP.

First off, humans are a social species. As much as a lot of us don't want to admit. We want companionship whether it be with friends or with people we want more with. We want at least one other person to understand us on a deeper level than what we usually show to strangers. And with interacting with many types of people in whatever manner, we see things from different perspectives and change.

Personally, I think we are over-saturated with romance in popular culture. I also think that romance shouldn't be in everything. It all depends on what kind of story the author wants to tell. You can tell a complete story and have your protagonist(s) grow and develop without having a love interest involved and just be surrounded by really good friends. People can go their whole lives without being in romantic relationships and still function as normal human beings.

Romance is relatable in a story because people pursue it. And with romance brings drama and people like drama. It's exciting and draws people in. It makes you wonder what's gonna happen next. That is if it's competently or interestingly written.

But more often than not, authors tend to diddly up romances. Whether it just be incompetence or lack of experience or many other factors and/or combinations of them. A lot of them tend to write romances as if this two of people have to be together or they'll never be happy. Or sometimes they just get together because that's what's expected. Or just to check off that genre box. Or the characters just plain don't have lives without their romance endeavors. Or they just want to write their self-insert fantasies. Here's a video that I like to watch about romance in anime that goes into more details. Granted, it's more based on his preferences, but I still think it's worth a watch.

One of my favorite games is Persona 4. You can play through the whole game without getting with any of the female characters you interact with. The MC doesn't really change because he's a blank slate for the player to project themselves on, but the females still develop. With his help, they figure out their own problems and what they want to do with the rest of their lives. Yes, they show signs of romantic feelings towards the MC, but in the end they still go towards the same goal with or without you acting on them. And you can still enjoy the game for what it is: a JRPG that delves into the literal psyches of its various cast of characters with themes of friendship, sexuality, self-reflection, acceptance, maturing, and a slew of others that I'm probably forgetting while trying to solve a supernatural murder mystery.

But I would like to see more non-hetero pairings in stories. And not in a marketable, shoved in your face, "Hey! These two are gay! Ain't that cool and unconventional?!" Just two people that enjoy each others company. I would even like to say expose it to a younger audience. Show it's okay to like people of the same gender, or someone in between, or someone that belongs to none of the above romantically. And nowadays we're getting more of that and I like it.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
1. Romantic relationships between people of the same gender
2. Platonic relationships between people of different genders.

This a lot. It bothers me to no ends how hetero couples are "meant to be" yet if you personally see a gay couple as realistic everyone goes "neeeh, not possible, youre seeing stuff thats not there".

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
But more often than not, authors tend to diddly up romances. Whether it just be incompetence or lack of experience or many other factors and/or combinations of them. A lot of them tend to write romances as if this two of people have to be together or they'll never be happy. Or sometimes they just get together because that's what's expected. Or just to check off that genre box. Or the characters just plain don't have lives without their romance endeavors.

This is also a very good point. I'd love to see more relationships that happen more naturally, the way they more often happen in real life. I get why people love dramatic love stories bigger than life where it's love at first sight and nothing else will ever matter again except for that person but... I just find it more interesting when the relationship grows through a different path. That it faces problems other than misunderstandings when one of them kind of half hears the other one say something and understands it wrong, or walks in on the other doing something out of context with someone else. Show their insecurities, how the love isn't perfect and flawless, doubts, fights, thinking about wheter or not this person is the right or not. More of that. Love that grows through being together, rather than being fated in the stars.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I just think there's too much focus on it and they try and force it in places that don't belong, or even worse: when a showrunner adds it to make fans happy. Like, if that's how a plot or character arcs progress naturally then awesome, and it's been handled well in some pieces of media like young justice or Netflix originals. And I notice that most popular music is about romance, like lol I get it.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I would and wouldn't identify myself as a shipper.

Shipping is putting two characters together in a romantic relationship. Commonly used on the internet, of course. You'd normally assume a shipper is a die-hard fangirl who would ship anyone with anyone, especially when it makes little to no sense. My definition of shipping is enjoying the chemistry and development two characters share together and as individuals themselves. Sure, not every character NEEDS to be in a romantic relationship, but not every character needs to be in a platonic relationship either. I just prefer smooth character development and I wouldn't feel shy to express my liking to a fictional couple.

Anyway, I'm probably stating my opinion on shipping than romance itself so...

1. I don't mind LGBT/straight couples in any way, just as long as they're well-developed and not forced/rushed in. I wouldn't disrespect a person's liking/disliking into a kind of fictional relationship, unless they're being bigoted or hateful.
2. Romance is a real thing that real people experience, so I wouldn't say yes, it's overrated, but in some fictional areas, some romance can be rather forced and unnatural, but I'm not one to judge on that.
3. Depends on the development and how commonly used it is. One aspect I didn't enjoy about some shows were repetitive love triangles and melodramatic subplots.
4. Of course. Not everything needs to be about romance imo, but that's just me.

Overall, I have nothing against romance as long as it's used in the way I prefer it to be. Also, this is a very interesting topic to discuss!

Angelic Blight

I'm asking if you'd prefer to see different types of relationships done? More Gay or Lesbian relationships would be nice to see. Same love is normal and a lot of people think it isn't. Bigots...
If you feel romance is overrated? Depends... I think Valentines day is a complete waste of time, but romance itself, can be nice yes.
If you'd prefer romance to be used less? Not sure. It is needed and not needed. I am on the fence about its needs.
Do you think a tv series could survive without a form of romance involved?

Yes and no. Yes because, drama is more than just romance alone
and no. For the reason it is reality and makes the series/program feel more relatable to the audience.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I don't mind romance as long as it's well written. But I hate how some people overhype certain ships (especially in anime) and have a huge freakout when those pairing don't become canon.

I really like SoraxKairi but I'm not going to flip out or hold it against Nomura if it doesn't become canon in KH3.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I don't mind romance as long as it's well written. But I hate how some people overhype certain ships (especially in anime) and have a huge freakout when those pairing don't become canon.

I really like SoraxKairi but I'm not going to flip out or hold it against Nomura if it doesn't become canon in KH3.

I can stand behind Sora x Kairi not being essential for me, and I agree that people try to put relationships first before actual chemistry is shown. I felt like this happened in Harry Potter; some development between Harry and Ginny was shown in the book admittedly, but in the movies it's so poorly portrayed that it feels completely out of nowhere. Like, Ginny just randomly makes out with Harry in movie 7, and that's supposed to be the basis of their relationship somehow (I know there's more to it, Potter fans, but that's what it felt like to me). Rowling just wanted Harry to be with Ginny at the end, and I feel like, at least with the directions they took with the movies, that they didn't care how he got there or if it'd make sense once he was there.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I can stand behind Sora x Kairi not being essential for me, and I agree that people try to put relationships first before actual chemistry is shown. I felt like this happened in Harry Potter; some development between Harry and Ginny was shown in the book admittedly, but in the movies it's so poorly portrayed that it feels completely out of nowhere. Like, Ginny just randomly makes out with Harry in movie 7, and that's supposed to be the basis of their relationship somehow (I know there's more to it, Potter fans, but that's what it felt like to me). Rowling just wanted Harry to be with Ginny at the end, and I feel like, at least with the directions they took with the movies, that they didn't care how he got there or if it'd make sense once he was there.

Yeah Harry&Ginny is a good example honestly, I think their romance felt weird even in the books, but in the movies it's just horrible. I'm personally not a fan of Hermione and Ron ending up together either, but at least their relationship was developed properly and it has some interesting aspects to it, though I still think they don't make a very good couple.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Yeah Harry&Ginny is a good example honestly, I think their romance felt weird even in the books, but in the movies it's just horrible. I'm personally not a fan of Hermione and Ron ending up together either, but at least their relationship was developed properly and it has some interesting aspects to it, though I still think they don't make a very good couple.

What's worse is how much they try to push Ron and Hermione's perfect relationship in The Cursed Child. Ugh, I swear Rowling thinks they're the best couple ever or something, I just don't understand it.

But, back on the previous topic, Sora and Kairi were at least established early on to be childhood crushes. Even if it doesn't seem as strong now, I still want to see it happen. You can't look at the secret place in the endings from Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II and tell me that they aren't into each other, all right?

I honestly think Riku never really liked Kairi to begin with, replaying the first game. It's clear that he cares a lot about her, but his teasing Sora seems to be only that: teasing. I don't think Riku was really into her, the only "hint" that could be interpreted is when he tells Kairi she's the inspiration for his sense of adventure, and even then you can still interpret that as a friendly remark as well.

Kairi also seems like she's more awkward around Riku; the friendship isn't equally balanced in the games at all. While Kairi is super open to Sora about everything in the original game, such as when she says the line about "going together, just the two of us!" the night of the storm, she never really seemed to spend personal time with Riku, or connect with him that much on an emotional level. Even her response to Riku was awkward when Riku tells her that she's his inspiration; it's just kind of an awkward "oh, okay, thanks" type of response, you know? The second game was the only time I saw her and Riku really connect; other than that, they just seem awkward.

The chart goes as such:

Sora's best friends are Riku and Kairi
Kairi's best friend is Sora
Riku's best friend is Sora

Sora is clearly the branch that connects these two otherwise incompatible people. I know this from plenty of experience, my two best friends in the whole world used to date and now never talk, so literally the only time they hang out is when they're both hanging out with me.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

Yes, both of those are awful. A realistic Hermione wouldn't be able to stand Ron's laziness and idiocy for a HUSBAND!!! for a month. >:

What's worse is how much they try to push Ron and Hermione's perfect relationship in The Cursed Child. Ugh, I swear Rowling thinks they're the best couple ever or something, I just don't understand it.

Rowling herself admitted that she didn't have them end up together because it made sense, but because it was her selfish wish to see it happen that way. She also said that Hermione and Harry would've been the better fit actually.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Rowling herself admitted that she didn't have them end up together because it made sense, but because it was her selfish wish to see it happen that way. She also said that Hermione and Harry would've been the better fit actually.

So why was their relationship pushed so heavily in the cursed child? I remember MULTIPLE times where Ron and Hermione were in/ reminded of alternate realities where they weren't a couple and they had some sort of speech about how much they really do love each other. Like, I know she wasn't the only writer on that thing, but she must have had a lot of say in the script, don't you think? Was that the only way she thought she could write them after her little mistake, just make them have to constantly declare their love for one another? It didn't happen as often as the exaggeration might suggest, but I definitely remember it in there, and it really pissed me off reading Cursed Child for the first time (that story kind of sucked by the way, Malfoy was the only great part of it).

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Romance is most often a very essential and typical human element for a story-- I welcome writers to write more diverse stories, but omitting romance just to be unique is lame.

Kingdom Hearts is actually so sterile that I'd welcome a well-done romance plot, though I don't think the folks at SE are necessarily up to the task of doing it without no hiccups, but what the hell, what've they got to lose? It's not like they've done anything great so far.

I'm a total sucker for a cute romance. I'm expecting Sora/Kairi and Axel/Roxas if they're feeling particularly ballsy (this is Disney after all, they're not anti-progressive but they certainly never come out swinging)

It's probably my musical theater lifestyle that makes me love romance stuff so much since there are so many good musical love songs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back