• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Romance in a series about friendship

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Neither Sora or Kairi really spoke with Riku in that scene. The lack of interactions between Riku and Kairi is why the Destiny trio is the weakest, lol
Didn't Riku/Kairi interact a lot in KH2? She was even able to detect that it was Riku under the Ansem costume.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Didn't Riku/Kairi interact a lot in KH2? She was even able to detect that it was Riku under the Ansem costume.

A lot is too generous. There's the Saix vs Riku fight where she recognizes him and the reunion scene. Other than they can be seen in TWTNW in the background without talking to each other.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
A lot is too generous. There's the Saix vs Riku fight where she recognizes him and the reunion scene. Other than they can be seen in TWTNW in the background without talking to each other.
Just because we don't see it, doesn't mean they aren't friends. I mean, I wish we saw them together more, but storywise... they're rarely near each other. Kairi is either stranded on Destiny Islands while everyone else does stuff/is kidnapped and Riku is doing important plot stuff offscreen.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Just because we don't see it, doesn't mean they aren't friends. I mean, I wish we saw them together more, but storywise... they're rarely near each other. Kairi is either stranded on Destiny Islands while everyone else does stuff/is kidnapped and Riku is doing important plot stuff offscreen.

Cool but I didn't say anything about their friendship.

redcrown

Awards

It was actually Namine that revealed it was Riku under Ansem's form, Kairi didn't sense it was him until Namine blew his cover, I'm surprised so many people forget this (not trying to attack you or anything, I just see this stated a lot when people try to find any sign of active friendship between the two of them, so I understand why). I wouldn't say they had a "lot" of interaction in KH2 (if we count only the games as canon and not the manga); it was mostly Riku protecting Kairi from the remaining Org members in the castle which felt weirdly mostly out of obligation for her safety, giving her a keyblade randomly out of thin air, and facilitating his reunion with Sora.

It feels like there's an undertone of Riku and Kairi's friendship dissipating going on in the series, especially in KH3 where they don't even interact directly with each other and Riku's reaction to her getting cut down by Xehanort was not any more full of fury than his scenes facing off against the bosses earlier in the KG. If this series actually cared enough to explore this or even intended for that to be implied, it would actually be very interesting to see addressed, but that would require Kairi being a character Nomura cares about.

Last edited:

LoneFox

Awards
It feels like there's an undertone of Riku and Kairi's friendship dissipating going on in the series
I believe it was shattered by off-screen events right at the beginning of the series. Assume that Riku won the race, tried to give Kairi a paopu fruit, and she refused it. A lot of things that happened afterwards start to make much more sense: all the awkward "just joking", Kairi's suggestion to sail without Riku, Riku's fall to darkness...

Awards
I might be in the minority on this but I don’t want romance to get deeper then it already is, it will ruin the friendship of Sora riku and kairi. Ofc I know it won’t completely ruin it but still the more Sora and kairi hang in together, the more riku might start distant himself from them, Sora and kairi should wait until they are 19 or above if they want to get deeper into this, but as of now let them just be friends pls.

Good point. Though I liked the scene where Kairi and Sora are sharing the paopu fruit, while Riku's being comfortable with the past version of himself. For me, it stands for 2 classic ways to be content in life: either you're lucky enough to find your soulmate who embraces all of your good virtues, or you master the skill of self-acceptance while having good people around you.

Still, when thinking about the combination between three friends, a couple and one extra guy is difficult. In theory, AquaxTerra wouldn't be so bad for that part, cause Ven would still serve in a role as their "adopted child". But Riku is the most mature in their trio, so he might feel uncomfortable in the long run. I don't believe he would become bitter. But not wanting to be a third wheel could drift him to become a lone wolf, or cause him to seek connection from somewhere else.
That isn't entirely bad thing, cause I look up to Riku as a character, and feel he also deserves to find some own happiness. And that would serve the idea that their bond is strong enough to last despite the distance. But I agree with the fact that it needs more time to build up.

Awards
When it comes to actual bonds between them, I think it's all nicely build in the very first games. Sora's & Riku's bromance/rivalry is nicely brought up ever since the intro in Destiny Islands. Just like the fact that it's so easy for Sora & Kairi to be with each other, cause they're almost equally pure and caring.

The biggest gab is in the scenes where Riku & Kairi are both there. I do see that they care about each other, but I often ask myself "Would've these two ever become so close, if Sora hadn't been there as a clue that put their group together?" Who knows, maybe they'll learn to work trough that, now that Sora is (temporarily) gone?
For example: Riku wants Kairi to be woken, to have at least her back. But it's hard being just the two of them, so their bond gets put to the test.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
Gula and Ava act romantically involved without being romantically involved.

I'm more invested in them than I am or ever will be with Sora and Kairi. And they only had Back Cover. And Gula asking where she is in KH3.

Why this is, I don't know.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I tried so hard not to root for Ava and Gula, but it's so obvious that he adores her so I can't even help myself. Guilty pleasure. "Trust no one... except Ava."

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
This thread just reminded me that Kairi got killed in Kingdom Hearts 3 and only Sora behaved normally at the death of someone close.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
This thread just reminded me that Kairi got killed in Kingdom Hearts 3 and only Sora behaved normally at the death of someone close.

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Not even Axel seemed too bothered about her death. And they had spend a good chunk of KH3 bonding with each other

SweetYetSalty

Awards

Spoiler Spoiler Show
I can just imagine a parody version of everyone's thought process during that scene

Riku: Cheer up Sora! We'll just put her in a Replica.

Axel: Kairi? I got my real friends back now. I don't care.

Aqua: What Axel said.

Ventus: Kairi was the redhead right?

Terra: Relax, you still got two more of these 'Kairi's'.

Roxas: I'm concerned but only because she has Namine with her.

Xion: I'm gonna be nice and pretend I care for Sora's sake.

Namine: Kairi's dead? Can I replace her as Sora and Riku's childhood friend now? Wait am I dead too?

Mickey: Don't worry Sora, At least it was Kairi that bit the dust and not someone important like me.

I detest how badly Kairi's death was written. Such disrespect.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I tried so hard not to root for Ava and Gula, but it's so obvious that he adores her so I can't even help myself. Guilty pleasure. "Trust no one... except Ava."

I wonder if their love will be unrequited? that'd make for a different romantic dynamic. Ava seems to see Gula as just a friend, but Gula definitely harbours some sort of romantic affection for Ava.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Her death was in general so horribly done that I sat there, PS4 controller in my hand, deciphering what exactly did the screen just showed me. Once I confirmed that I wasn't, in fact, hallucinating, I wondered how a game director can look at this and think it was somehow an ingenious idea. Let alone think it was acceptable writing. Which has been mediocre in its entirety up to that point, but this particular scene was a testament of what some will call "trash" these days. That was trash. Everyone was basically chill. Riku was angry for like five seconds. Nevermind that poor Naminé got offed with her and no one bothered to mention that either. That blonde girl is just unlucky, christ. Thank goodness she's out of Kairi now.

The KBG segment as a whole was terrible. A rushed, terrible mess. Oh, and if you aren't in a trio, well, hah, screw you [insert character]. You ain't getting shiiiiiit.

Like I can't even blame it on the relationship of SRK. It's simply awful writing. And it basically put the cherry on top about Nomura's inability as being anywhere near any position that isn't director. Just give an overview, drop in all the random ideas that pass by and aren't thought through well, then let the competent staff handle it and make sense of the mess to make it cohesive. Best thing that can be done at this point.

Last edited:

PStuder12321

This was a topic I starting thinking about after seeing some arguments online. I'll try to be tactful.

There is an argument I see very frequently in the fandom and it usually along the lines of "KH won't have romance, it's all about friendship". But is this really true? Playing through the games, especially the most recent ones, Nomura/the writers don't seem to hesitate to make some romantic implications (Sora/Kairi). If not reciprocal romance, then very blatant attraction/pining (Larxene, Olette). Here's where I might be walking on eggshells. I mostly see this argument in the context of people not wanting a ship to become canon. But I feel like arguing that KH is strictly about friendship and won't confirm any couples won't stop the inevitable.

On the other hand, I can sympathize with and partially agree with that argument. And I do also notice people running with the opposite argument, usually in the context that their ship has a high possibility of happening. KH is mostly focused on friendships. I love how this series does make a point about how romantic love isn't the only type of love you can have for the people around you, and that it isn't more important. I think people (specifically those who actually expect certain relationships to be confirmed, not casual shippers) kind of undermine that assuming that the cast having deep connections to each other makes it romantic.

And, while I don't want to bring this up, I feel like I should for the sake of clarity: This applies to both gay AND straight relationships. I've seen plenty of people say that "not every friendship is a romance", but turn around and assume just because a guy and a girl are friends, they are in love and they're going to canonically get together (and vice-versa). Personally, I like Soriku, and I like Rokushi, but I can admit that they're probably aren't going to be more than friends. (There's a better chance of getting more romantic stuff with these pairings in anything written by the KH novelist, but I don't know to what degree how canon those are).

What are your thoughts?

The relationship between Kairi and Sora has already been set. When they shared the paopu fruit that was essentially them saying, yes, we are together. They explained in KH one that whenever two people share one of those fruits their destiny becomes one and they will be together forever. In KH3 when they share one they are doing it because they are pretty much saying, I love you., to each other and are making that a symbol of them being together. I hope for much more romance built up between them and for gods sake maybe just MAYBE they will actually let Riku, Kairi, and Sora STAY TOGETHER and find a new way to continue plots other then rewriting the same thing over and over again. oh they gotta find each other... I have that as a new topic elsewhere so I wont continue that here but as for romances the BULK of the game is, "my friends are my power" there are guys and girls friends everywhere specially with Sora. but Sora has ALWAYS held a special spot for Kairi that is all hers. I think the game has done a great job of keeping the "my friends are my power" feel while still keeping Kairi and Sora as a couple that are suppose to be together. for those stating there isnt a lot of romance. well there is. its just very subtle. such as them sharing the paopu fruit. The reasoning for this being again, "my friends are my power" is suppose to be the main emphasis. however I feel that point has been made and its time to mature and more romance between kairi and sora and maybe even other characters would be nice.

Awards
The relationship between Kairi and Sora has already been set. When they shared the paopu fruit that was essentially them saying, yes, we are together. They explained in KH one that whenever two people share one of those fruits their destiny becomes one and they will be together forever. In KH3 when they share one they are doing it because they are pretty much saying, I love you., to each other and are making that a symbol of them being together. I hope for much more romance built up between them and for gods sake maybe just MAYBE they will actually let Riku, Kairi, and Sora STAY TOGETHER and find a new way to continue plots other then rewriting the same thing over and over again. oh they gotta find each other... I have that as a new topic elsewhere so I wont continue that here but as for romances the BULK of the game is, "my friends are my power" there are guys and girls friends everywhere specially with Sora. but Sora has ALWAYS held a special spot for Kairi that is all hers. I think the game has done a great job of keeping the "my friends are my power" feel while still keeping Kairi and Sora as a couple that are suppose to be together. for those stating there isnt a lot of romance. well there is. its just very subtle. such as them sharing the paopu fruit. The reasoning for this being again, "my friends are my power" is suppose to be the main emphasis. however I feel that point has been made and its time to mature and more romance between kairi and sora and maybe even other characters would be nice.

You kinda repeated the same points several times there(which I do myself here and there) but they're still valid. Even when I played the very first games as a 9-year-old, my friends and I all saw the mutual attraction between Sora & Kairi. Their romance is based on friendship; they know each other thoroughly, have very similar nature and support each other unconditionally. Those are all good foundation for a loving relationship.

Seeing some more romance in the series could be nice, as long as it doesn't become the main theme. I don't want to see two characters, let's say Roxas and Xion for instance, deciding out of the blue that they are together.

PStuder12321

You kinda repeated the same points several times there(which I do myself here and there) but they're still valid. Even when I played the very first games as a 9-year-old, my friends and I all saw the mutual attraction between Sora & Kairi. Their romance is based on friendship; they know each other thoroughly, have very similar nature and support each other unconditionally. Those are all good foundation for a loving relationship.

Seeing some more romance in the series could be nice, as long as it doesn't become the main theme. I don't want to see two characters, let's say Roxas and Xion for instance, deciding out of the blue that they are together.

Yeah, that would be....weird? to say the least and sorry about repeating myself, I just tend to do that out of habit. (some people don't get the point when you're point blank with it xD ). Though yeah I never had any question at all as a kid, teen, or adult, as to where the romances where and if Sora and Kairi were going to be a couple. In KH3 they very clearly are lol. So I don't really get the arguements about it.

Back