• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Roleplaying Overhaul

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Javelin434

Awards
I am definitely up for that: I completely understand that not everyone can write at that level and I don't expect anyone to do so. In the past, it was looked down upon to have bad grammar/spelling and newbies were turned away by older members for it. (This was a long time ago, though, and I hope that it's not a big thing now...) You learn by making mistakes and seeing what others do. But, even though members don't necessarily do this now, the section itself probably comes off that way: that you have to have perfect grammar and spelling, while also be able to write the mini-novel posts.

For keeping posts brief, that depends on the roleplay itself, but it has become so common to see super long posts in the sections that it's just the norm. I do understand that it is freakin' intimidating to see that, but we can encourage simpler roleplays with shorter posts and that's one of the things that I want to do (...like with that roleplay that i forgot about... oops heh 8D;;). With some things, it's not necessarily something the mods alone can do, but we can help encourage members to do new things and that can increase activity in the section overall.

And, oh my goodness, thank you for sharing your opinions and everything. This is really helpful! ;w;
Ok woah, before you go thanking me and whatnot, allow me to clarify:

Bad spelling should be looked down upon, because of logical reasons.

Grammar, on the other hand, should be the one to be forgiven. Keeping things brief (but still paint a good picture) would be a great incentive for rookies (I'm still technically a beginner) to join and possibly revitalize the sub-section. But for those who wish to have mini-novels in post, there are ways to go about doing this. The introduction and first part of the RPs could be short and sweet, breaking in the newcomers and getting them acquainted with the system and other's writing style. Once the RP is well underway, then the posts could get longer and more details can be brought in. Though, usually it all falls on the RP master's shoulders on how they want to do it.

They're also usually the ones expected to have the longest post by the RP members, since it's their RP and whatnot...

Awards
NOOOOO NOT SCRIPT ROLEPLAYS. THE HORROR //SOB

.....okay maybe we can do them. >__> maybeh.

whawhawhat's

wrong with script roleplays 8c

they can be fun! well, more like wacky kind of fun... like the little crack/script thing we were doing in the TWEWY sign up thread. ahahahaaaa what were we onnn

EightBitRed

Bronze Member
I said this before since I RP six years here

I believe the reason that people lose interest is one of two factors, people grow out of it and move on with their lives or they're just not interested enough to make time for saids RPS. For the entire longitivtiy of this RP section I have always warned you guys you need to start thinking outside the box and start making a main RP that offers character progress, evolves through community building, and has a simple system that derp enough for anyone to understand. The longest I've been with one character in my years of Roleplaying is 6 years and I've made ALOT of memories with people with that one character.

Simply put, this entire RP section is literally cluttered with One shot RPs, granted some are good and some are bad. But the thing that gets me is "Whats the point?" when that one small tiny roleplay offers no progress, in fact I constantly worry that the TIME I PUT INTO THAT CHARACTER will end up for nothing because you guys know as well as I do that this "system" you guys is flawed to the point where I surprise this place lasted as long as it did.

For example registering for people RP, only depends if the GM likes you or not and the second problem you have to worry about is if said person is even a good GM in general. I've met a bunch of dicks on my time here simply cause they reject a certain player cause they're having issues with them, and believe me I know people here who still hold grudges against me after 6 years, they're not up to par in terms of literacy, or the spots are "filled".

Now you can tell me "Well its their RP, just join another.". Yeah I could, but you're missing the point here. NOBODY SHOULD BE REJECTED FROM RP'ING IN GENERAL. This is why I wanted KHinsider to have a main RP, because certified GMs can not reject players they don't like! If I for example get my Naruto, Fairy Tail, Supernatural, One piece or my original Zankoku High Main RP pass, and lets say...Eternal Dreams wants to sign up. That girl literally hates my guts, but I wouldn't reject her from joining cause 1: She a good Rp'er and 2:As long as she follows the rules within the universe of the RP then why should i reject her? See where am I going with this? It's not just me that's been rejected from roleplays, I've seen people reject Roleplayers and they end up leaving, I don't blame them considering there are "Fake GMs" that literally alienate them from what they loved to do so whats the point of staying with us?

That being said, I'm well aware that there was at one point a main Kingdom Hearts Rp and that apparently didn't work out, so why didn't you guys try something different? I don't know whats the point of asking people for their approval if they want this, this, and that for a Main RP. Just do it, half the times people don't know what they want and you can't please everyone. Just do your thing and if people like it, they join! It's better then what's been going on now, and I rather RP in a Main RP that has actual certified GMs then RP in one shots with someone that doesn't know what they're doing even if they got their little storyline finish on their head but can't execute it. Quality of Quantity people, it really works.

I'm currently going to propose a Naruto, One piece and Fairy Tail Main RP that evolves through community building, I would just pitch the idea to the MODS of this section and if they like it, make me a sub forum for the RP and just let me do my thing. But I'll post my proposal to show people that haven't joined this forum yet and if they like what they see, they'll likely join and start building from that proposal.

Is there going to be a "system"? Yes. Because this kinda of Roleplay have work for me for ten years and the only reason the rps died is cause Admin never payed for the forum and we lost all our crap. Sucks yeah but we just save all our work and search for another forum and rebuild.

Last edited:

Javelin434

Awards
Simply put, this entire RP section is literally cluttered with One shot RPs, granted some are good and some are bad. But the thing that gets me is "Whats the point?" when that one small tiny roleplay offers no progress, in fact I constantly worry that the TIME I PUT INTO THAT CHARACTER will end up for nothing because you guys know as well as I do that this "system" you guys is flawed to the point where I surprise this place lasted as long as it did.
I can't believe I didn't realize this. RPs that I've been involved in have allowed me to develop my characters, and my little groupie of RPers as well as I have grown attached to our OCs because of this and sequels for the RP was inevitable... omg this explains a LOT o_O

EightBitRed

Bronze Member
I can't believe I didn't realize this. RPs that I've been involved in have allowed me to develop my characters, and my little groupie of RPers as well as I have grown attached to our OCs because of this and sequels for the RP was inevitable... omg this explains a LOT o_O

May i see this character of yours and can you tell me how many rps have you used this character? I hope you're not misunderstanding "character progression"

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
whawhawhat's

wrong with script roleplays 8c

they can be fun! well, more like wacky kind of fun... like the little crack/script thing we were doing in the TWEWY sign up thread. ahahahaaaa what were we onnn
...okay yeah this is true. hehehe that was really fun 8D (LET'S DO IT AGAIN RHAP ;0; IT WAS THE BESTEST CRACK STUFF EVAR)

I said this before since I RP six years here

I believe the reason that people lose interest is one of two factors, people grow out of it and move on with their lives or they're just not interested enough to make time for saids RPS. For the entire longitivtiy of this RP section I have always warned you guys you need to start thinking outside the box and start making a main RP that offers character progress, evolves through community building, and has a simple system that derp enough for anyone to understand. The longest I've been with one character in my years of Roleplaying is 6 years and I've made ALOT of memories with people with that one character.

For example registering for people RP, only depends if the GM likes you or not and the second problem you have to worry about is if said person is even a good GM in general. I've met a bunch of dicks on my time here simply cause they reject a certain player cause they're having issues with them, and believe me I know people here who still hold grudges against me after 6 years, they're not up to par in terms of literacy, or the spots are "filled".

Now you can tell me "Well its their RP, just join another.". Yeah I could, but you're missing the point here. NOBODY SHOULD BE REJECTED FROM RP'ING IN GENERAL. This is why I wanted KHinsider to have a main RP, because certified GMs can not reject players they don't like! If I for example get my Naruto, Fairy Tail, Supernatural, One piece or my original Zankoku High Main RP pass, and lets say...Eternal Dreams wants to sign up. That girl literally hates my guts, but I wouldn't reject her from joining cause 1: She a good Rp'er and 2:As long as she follows the rules within the universe of the RP then why should i reject her? See where am I going with this? It's not just me that's been rejected from roleplays, I've seen people reject Roleplayers and they end up leaving, I don't blame them considering there are "Fake GMs" that literally alienate them from what they loved to do so whats the point of staying with us?

That being said, I'm well aware that there was at one point a main Kingdom Hearts Rp and that apparently didn't work out, so why didn't you guys try something different? I don't know whats the point of asking people for their approval if they want this, this, and that for a Main RP. Just do it, half the times people don't know what they want and you can't please everyone. Just do your thing and if people like it, they join! It's better then what's been going on now, and I rather RP in a Main RP that has actual certified GMs then RP in one shots with someone that doesn't know what they're doing even if they got their little storyline finish on their head but can't execute it. Quality of Quantity people, it really works.

I'm currently going to propose a Naruto, One piece and Fairy Tail Main RP that evolves through community building, I would just pitch the idea to the MODS of this section and if they like it, make me a sub forum for the RP and just let me do my thing. But I'll post my proposal to show people that haven't joined this forum yet and if they like what they see, they'll likely join and start building from that proposal.

Is there going to be a "system"? Yes. Because this kinda of Roleplay have work for me for ten years and the only reason the rps died is cause Admin never payed for the forum and we lost all our crap. Sucks yeah but we just save all our work and search for another forum and rebuild.
The thing is that the "one-shot" roleplays have always been the basis for this forum, since at least 2004. That isn't the problem, but a main roleplay is a very good idea, mostly because new roleplayers can join in without be discriminated.

I know that newbies get rejected and, even though it's not right, it happens. There's not much that can be done, unless more roleplays are offered that won't reject newbies. The forum is not nearly as elitist as it used to be, but I know that people still are rejected and never get a chance to try something. We do need more people who are open and welcoming to everyone.

In the end, this whole "rejection" thing is up to you guys. I will try my very best to encourage more people to be welcoming, but it's up to the people who start the roleplays whether or not everyone is welcome. If you don't like how something is done in one roleplay, whether it be how it's run or things like mini-novels for posts, make another! This will only stop if more people are encouraged to be open-minded and welcoming. (However, if people are being completely rude and awful jerks to everyone, then I will definitely step in. Stuff like that is not tolerated here at all.)

However, about the main roleplay, OmniChaos is working on one. I don't know the status of it right now, but it is in the works. It is a Kingdom Hearts roleplay, though, but, from my knowledge, we've never had a main KH roleplay. (We did have one based on Final Fantasy VIII, though I'm not sure if you can call it a main roleplay, but it was back in 2005/2006 and it did fail. I believe that's the only attempt that the board has ever made.)

The problem with a main roleplay based on another form of content is that it may turn people away. Everyone on here, for the most part, likes Kingdom Hearts. (...well, not everyone, but most people do lulz) Having a RP based on another form of content, like Naruto for example, probably wouldn't be as successful as a Kingdom Hearts one, only because this is a KH forum. It would work great on a Naruto forum, but not so much on a KH one. The main roleplay depends on everyone's interests and we've all joined this forum because of Kingdom Hearts.

But, that does not mean that you can't start one of your own; it just wouldn't be the main forum roleplay. You can create a similar style of roleplay and create a series of threads that share the same plot; you would just lack the subsection and such. There's absolutely nothing stopping anyone from doing anything like that, so if you want to do something like that, by all means, go for it. Plus, if something proves to be popular enough, who knows what could happen? (Granted, I can promise NOTHING, but there may be possibilities for things.)

purgatory

Awards
so i was looking through several threads this morning, and late into the afternoon. The rejection topic Red mentioned is actually pretty real. There is this original RP where this one member actually was a point of a problem however, and it was left to vote on whether or not to boot him from the roleplay. There are others by what I can probably assume to be more well-known members heading GM of the respective roleplays that rejected templates with no real evidence other than "speculation" of the roleplayer's ability to navigate their character's skills. Isn't that some kind of overgeneralized bias that would turn off people from joining a roleplay in general o.o?

Also worth noting, Takushi Reina is right about people enjoying kingdom hearts, but considering the volume of the roleplays with that theme that influx there is even less incentive to join newer ones of the very same theme, unless in such cases the one a roleplayer is currently apart of is short on post or in a filler/decline.

The idea of breaking the mold with a fresh idea, well, the thing is you'd need support. Like why don't you guys just throw up a massive suggestion thread of ideas and do a multi-platform cross canon with the help of the people throwing in ideas. If you've ever seen or read "Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi" by snafu comics, multi-platform conglomerates like that are pretty possible given more than one person's contribution to create a world, a story, concepts from each, and characters to fit the timeline.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
so i was looking through several threads this morning, and late into the afternoon. The rejection topic Red mentioned is actually pretty real. There is this original RP where this one member actually was a point of a problem however, and it was left to vote on whether or not to boot him from the roleplay. There are others by what I can probably assume to be more well-known members heading GM of the respective roleplays that rejected templates with no real evidence other than "speculation" of the roleplayer's ability to navigate their character's skills. Isn't that some kind of overgeneralized bias that would turn off people from joining a roleplay in general o.o?
Yeah, that sounds like bias. I always give people a chance (unless y'know something happens before the RP starts, like arguments and such), but a lot of people don't. Templates are in no way evidence of a roleplayer's ability. :\ Just because they aren't the most literate of people doesn't mean that they're bad storytellers. But I am working on figuring out how to handle a problem like that; it's just a wee bit difficult lulz

Also worth noting, Takushi Reina is right about people enjoying kingdom hearts, but considering the volume of the roleplays with that theme that influx there is even less incentive to join newer ones of the very same theme, unless in such cases the one a roleplayer is currently apart of is short on post or in a filler/decline.

The idea of breaking the mold with a fresh idea, well, the thing is you'd need support. Like why don't you guys just throw up a massive suggestion thread of ideas and do a multi-platform cross canon with the help of the people throwing in ideas. If you've ever seen or read "Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi" by snafu comics, multi-platform conglomerates like that are pretty possible given more than one person's contribution to create a world, a story, concepts from each, and characters to fit the timeline.
......that is a good point lulz. (I loved that comic, but the crossovers were what made it so awesome~ :D) Maybe it could still involve Kingdom Hearts, but it could also involve a number of other things? Or it could be original or something. I dunno, but I could put up a thread for ideas and such, if you like! A roleplay of that caliber would be pretty spiffy~ c:

EightBitRed

Bronze Member
Now before I go wreck your mind with crappy RPing, care to elaborate specifically on the words "character progression?"

Such as has your character, over the course of its life, made friendships, bonds and relationships out of pure roleplaying. For example if Alexander loved Alexis, and an Rp'er would ask me "Hey how did Alex get with Alexis", you happily link them to a RP perhaps dated three months ago where he bravely defended her against a horde of orcs and beasts while she escape with a broken leg and through that real life GM-ish event, Alexis fell in love with his bravery.

Thats character progression via bonds

The problem with a main roleplay based on another form of content is that it may turn people away. Everyone on here, for the most part, likes Kingdom Hearts. (...well, not everyone, but most people do lulz) Having a RP based on another form of content, like Naruto for example, probably wouldn't be as successful as a Kingdom Hearts one, only because this is a KH forum. It would work great on a Naruto forum, but not so much on a KH one. The main roleplay depends on everyone's interests and we've all joined this forum because of Kingdom Hearts.

But, that does not mean that you can't start one of your own; it just wouldn't be the main forum roleplay. You can create a similar style of roleplay and create a series of threads that share the same plot; you would just lack the subsection and such. There's absolutely nothing stopping anyone from doing anything like that, so if you want to do something like that, by all means, go for it. Plus, if something proves to be popular enough, who knows what could happen? (Granted, I can promise NOTHING, but there may be possibilities for things.)

You have to understand some people don't have to join, but there will be people that will be interested in starting something bigger. This is a Kingdom Hearts forum, but the Naruto forum where I RP had a BLEACH main roleplay called "The Society" and that actually grew pretty popular. One shots do not work for Naruto RPs, that universe is so huge it requires more then just a thread, but the result of a successful Naruto RP is beautiful. I'm a witness to this.

johnissoooookyutte.png

Man i haven't post this guy in a while, but this here would be my Uchiha character that I've stuck with for 6 years and man what a ride we both went through. Fighting the six tails (At the time it was a Weasel with six tails called Raijuu), how he lost his team via gM event, how he train to be the apprentice of one of the Legendary ninjas of konoha, how he married a beautiful girl for the hidden cloud and was part of the Takayama clan. MAAAAN GOLDEN YEARS!!!!

Javelin434

Awards
Such as has your character, over the course of its life, made friendships, bonds and relationships out of pure roleplaying. For example if Alexander loved Alexis, and an Rp'er would ask me "Hey how did Alex get with Alexis", you happily link them to a RP perhaps dated three months ago where he bravely defended her against a horde of orcs and beasts while she escape with a broken leg and through that real life GM-ish event, Alexis fell in love with his bravery.

Thats character progression via bonds
In that case, then yes, my primary OC has had 'character progression' if my interpretation of this definition is correct.

Throughout the course of deploying my OC to multitudes of KH related RPs (most of which, familiar fellow RPers would send in their main OCs), as my writing improved, so had my character progression. Oddly enough, we all knew each other well enough to the point that we tied in other KH RPs into the ones we were currently RPing in, so there was a semi-timeline of RPs that we were all involved in.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
I just got home from work, so I'm going to go through this a bit and voice my opinion.

I agree with this, to an extent. Though some roleplays should be one-shot, as to capture that story's essence and not drag it out past its worth, I will agree that there should be more roleplays with sequels/prequels and whatnot. Ordeith and myself, in fact, have such a story: our Nightfall saga. Though the story we have set up right now--"Nightfall: The Warlock"--is a side-story, it connects to the main story that we plan on starting following the end of this one and all of its sequels and side-stories.

Refusing someone from joining simply due to bad-blood between the roleplayers is just poor roleplaying edict. I hold no grudges or ill-will toward any roleplayer myself, but even if I did, I certainly wouldn't use that as a means to prevent that person from joining one of my roleplays. In my opinion, this needs to stop, and if someone is refused entry simply due to issues between the roleplayers, I'd go as far as to say contact either Rena or myself and let us deal with the situation.

Now you can tell me "Well its their RP, just join another.". Yeah I could, but you're missing the point here. NOBODY SHOULD BE REJECTED FROM RP'ING IN GENERAL.

I agree as far as it being based on personal feelings between roleplayers, but I do have to say that sometimes, depending on the roleplay in question, rejections are necessary. One such example would be a small-cast roleplay that hinges heavily on character development and depending on each other in order to progress. If someone were to post a bare bone template for such a roleplay that showed little to no detail, creativity, or understanding of the world in which the roleplay takes place in, then yes, I would ask them to adjust their template or I wouldn't accept them.

Furthermore, there are also roleplays that are designed to be on another tier than the basic roleplay. Naturally, these roleplays are aimed toward the more experienced roleplayers, and a newbie to roleplaying just wouldn't be able to keep up enough to be able to enjoy themselves. You might try to claim this elitism, but really, it's just truth. I know when I first started roleplaying, I knew I couldn't keep up with some of the roleplays like that, so I started with more basic roleplays. I never thought those roleplaying in those roleplays as being elitist, I just knew that I wasn't quite good enough yet.

So again, it really depends on the roleplay in mention, the individuals, and character quality whether or not a character should be refused. But, as I said, personal differences should not be one of them.

It's not just me that's been rejected from roleplays, I've seen people reject Roleplayers and they end up leaving, I don't blame them considering there are "Fake GMs" that literally alienate them from what they loved to do so whats the point of staying with us?

Again, it depends on the roleplay and circumstances. If there was justifiable, unbiased reason to deny that character (some examples being what I listed previously), and it wasn't based solely on dislike toward the person, then I feel it's alright. It's naive to think situations like this are all black and white.

And I will disagree with you concerning the roleplay's creator. The story of a roleplay is its creator's brainchild, and if they feel a character does not fit with their roleplay, it is their right to deny them. I have developed the Nightfall series with Ordeith literally for years, and because of the time, effort, and dedication I have put into developing the characters, story, world, and societies, I may be picky on some things, only because I want the story to succeed.

That being said, I'm well aware that there was at one point a main Kingdom Hearts Rp and that apparently didn't work out, so why didn't you guys try something different?

I am not aware of there ever being an actual "main" KH RP as long as I've been here, but believe me in that what I'm working on right now isn't some basic, cookie-cutter KH rp.

It makes more sense for the main roleplay on a Kingdom Hearts forums to be a Kingdom Hearts roleplay and not one based off an anime.

However, about the main roleplay, OmniChaos is working on one. I don't know the status of it right now, but it is in the works.

It's nearly done. I just need to throw the last of the sign-ups together and then it'll be open for joining.

Awards
...okay yeah this is true. hehehe that was really fun 8D (LET'S DO IT AGAIN RHAP ;0; IT WAS THE BESTEST CRACK STUFF EVAR)

I'M ALWAYS FOREVER GAME FOR THIS OK
JUST LIKE SHOOT ME A VM OR PM AND LET THE CRAYCRAY BEGIN.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
Here's a thought: Roughly this time last year, I made an attempt at a novice-friendly roleplay that failed miserably. Looking at it now, though, I think that this setting would be perfect for the "jump in and roleplay" format mentioned earlier in this thread.

Roleplayers can simply post in the OOC thread to show their participation -- and then begin roleplaying immediately, introducing their characters in the RP thread itself.

Would anyone be interested in this?

Last edited:

Javelin434

Awards
Here's a thought: Roughly this time last year, I made an attempt at a novice-friendly roleplay that failed miserably. Looking at it now, though, I think that this setting would be perfect for the "jump in and roleplay" format mentioned earlier in this thread.

Roleplayers can simply post in the OOC thread to show their participation -- and then begin roleplaying immediately, introducing their characters in the RP thread itself.

Would anyone be interested in this?
If it's KH related, then I'm in!

FairSovereign

*returns from the Abyss*

I guess I should put in my fifty cents since I still visit this place every so often. :) I agree that a main roleplay would probably be the best bet. Perhaps more than that even, make a world in which Roleplays can occur, and let the story develop as it may, like many other roleplaying sites out there, and then have another subsection for one-shots. Before I left, there were like three really promising projects going that I truly felt could bring some life back into the section:

KH Eclipse,
The Brilliant RP Ordeith came up with regarding classic Fairy Tales and archetypes. Fables right? Goodness it's been a while~
And Shades of Blue (Though admittedly, I left before I saw how this went)

Regardless, the ideas are there, they just need to be implemented. I left because all of them simply stopped. But I'd love to come back and try any of them again, even if its from the very beginning. We have a lot of talented writers here, and it would be a shame to see us part after so much work. Hell, I'd be happy to work with people on an off site RP, maybe making it its own website would help give the RP section more credibility in the eyes of newcomers?

EDIT:

OH and Join Eclipse because it's awesome~ :3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back