• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Riku's Station of Awakening

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Aws

Awards
With the new Re:Mind trailer we got a look at Riku's Station of Awakening/Dive to the Heart.

_20191209_022455.JPG

As we can see, it is Riku's station since he is the big one represented on it. We also see Ansem SoD, Mickey, and Namine, but no Sora and Kairi. Why are Sora and Kairi missing from Riku's "heart?"

Sora's station in KH3 is the same one we see in KH2 with Riku, Kairi, Donald, and Goofy represented on it, meaning that their position in his heart hasn't changed since then.

Station_of_Awakening-_Sora_2_(Art)_KHII.png

Yet Riku's Station here seems to be harkening back to CoM based on Mickey's clothing and the presence of Namine. One could argue that Sora is absent due to him being forgotten because of what happened in CoM, but that was only temporary and even then why is Kairi absent too? Sora and Riku's friendship has grown even stronger since the days of CoM and if Namine is represented on his Station of Awakening then surely he too must be there?

Do we even know what the pictures of the characters on these things mean? I always assumed that since it's called "Dive to the Heart" that people special to the Station's owner would be there, hence Riku, Kairi, Donald, Goofy on Sora's Station. Curiously though Ventus' Station has no other portraits but has representations of different wayfinders (More than two which tells me that they don't necessarily represent Terra and Aqua).

Station_of_Awakening-_Ventus_2_(Art)_KHBBS.png

Presumably Nomura designed these stations the way he did on purpose, and I don't think he would simply "forget" to include Sora or Kairi in Riku's Station of Awakening.

Any thoughts?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Riku's Station artwork was original made for the 15th anniversary stained glass clocks, to represent Reverse/Rebirth. If he had received one that was specially illustrated like Sora and Ven, I'm sure there'd be different characters depicted on it. Since this one is just repurposed merchandise artwork with some minor edits, I wouldn't really think too much of it.

I assume the other guardians whose hearts Sora will be tracing in Re:Mind will also use the other artwork from this collection

005.jpg

Eonstar890

Awards
Ya know it is interesting that if the above is true about it being reused, if we are to see the other GoL be rescued in a similar fashion there are several who don't have a preexisting piece that could work (Kairi, Lea, Goofy, Donald).

So if these others are going to receive a similar treatment would that mean creating all new art pieces to be used as stations? If that's the case, then using this outdated piece seems very unbalanced. This leads me to believe that this may not be what it seems in the sense that I don't think we will get a station of awakening for every guardian that was lost, especially if what I keep hearing about this not being a rewrite of the main story is true.

From the description, it seems that Sora will be time hopping a bit to "discover truths he never before imagined". At one point we see something that may be akin to this occur with Aqua where we see several anti aquas. So in the case of Riku perhaps the truths to be discovered may draw on further back experiences, from the time when Riku was still walking the road to dawn. In which case this station would make perfect sense.

All in all, I theorize that the reason Riku's station of awakening appears the way it does may have something to do with the memory or truth Sora will discover in this new story. After all Riku's main plot this time around centered around remeeting his replica, and a sort of reconciliation between the two. It would kind of make sense for Sora to have to experience part of that as a way of using his power to do whatever it is he may be doing here. (I am still a bit unsure how this ties into the story so far if it isn't being used as a rewrite)

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Riku's Station artwork was original made for the 15th anniversary stained glass clocks, to represent Reverse/Rebirth. If he had received one that was specially illustrated like Sora and Ven, I'm sure there'd be different characters depicted on it. Since this one is just repurposed merchandise artwork with some minor edits, I wouldn't really think too much of it.

I assume the other guardians whose hearts Sora will be tracing in Re:Mind will also use the other artwork from this collection

005.jpg
I'm a little surprised they even bothered to edit out the cards in Riku's hand, but not close his eyes. lol

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Yes, this was a lazy re-purposing. I did always like that drawing of Riku. I hope we get new stained glass images in future KH games--both for original characters as well as the new Princesses of Heart. A stained glass drawing for Tiana in her green dress would be beautiful. One of Anna and Elsa together would be nice, too.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Yes, this was a lazy re-purposing. I did always like that drawing of Riku. I hope we get new stained glass images in future KH games--both for original characters as well as the new Princesses of Heart. A stained glass drawing for Tiana in her green dress would be beautiful. One of Anna and Elsa together would be nice, too.
Tiana with New Orleans or the Swamp in the background would be gorgeous. Honestly we should have the the stations for Rapunzel, Anna, and Elsa the first time.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I've always wanted to see what everyone's Station of Awakening looks like. Sadly it might just be limited to the ones for the Demon Tower attack. I want to see Roxas's station :(

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Oh! I didn't know he had a station already. Where has this been all my life, and why wasn't it used to awaken Roxas in the game?! As a Roxas fan I starting to feel cheated this wasn't used in the game XD

Elysium

Awards
Tiana with New Orleans or the Swamp in the background would be gorgeous. Honestly we should have the the stations for Rapunzel, Anna, and Elsa the first time.
Tiana's in particular would work perfect for an introductory tutorial. I'm thinking of how Belle's picture was used to represent the shadow caused by Sora's light. Tiana would fit well for a similar message considering her film features literal shadow monsters.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Plot twist: He's actually diving into Repliku's heart.

Nah, but I think Ansem makes sense because for a long time, Ansem's influence has been present in Riku for a good while until the end of KH2 when Ansem the Wise's Kingdom Hearts Encoder exploded. Mickey to Riku is like Donald and Goofy to Sora, plus Mickey was the one that originally sought out Riku in KH1 but couldn't reach him. And Namine maybe because of Repliku and the events of CoM and 358/2.

It's clear he cares about Sora and Kairi very much, BUT if there was an in-universe reason for this, his is probably more about who influenced him the most. Out of universe reason, idunno but they should've just given him a damn Station of Awakening that's closer to who he is now lmao.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
As stupid and passing the moment was, I feel very strongly against his station. No matter what time period, interpretation or ordeal Riku went through, Sora was a key component of his journey. I would guess they were trying to differentiate the stations by fitting characters that couldn't be used elsewhere BUT regardless, it was done poorly. Like yes you could argue Kairi's being omitted but Sora?

Like how are you going to force Sora's and Riku's bond down my throat throughout the series just to put something from an event into the closing chapter of the saga?! Talk about tone deaf, no just foolish.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
As stupid and passing the moment was, I feel very strongly against his station. No matter what time period, interpretation or ordeal Riku went through, Sora was a key component of his journey. I would guess they were trying to differentiate the stations by fitting characters that couldn't be used elsewhere BUT regardless, it was done poorly. Like yes you could argue Kairi's being omitted but Sora?

Like how are you going to force Sora's and Riku's bond down my throat throughout the series just to put something from an event into the closing chapter of the saga?! Talk about tone deaf, no just foolish.
All this right here. Riku not having Sora on his station, no matter the version, goes against everything about their relationship. And the fact that they cared enough to make slight alterations, but not enough to add Sora feels like a slap in the face.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I actually thought that at first. But it doesn't make sense. Repliku doesn't really know Ansem and Mickey. If it were just Namine and Sora on there then yeah, or even a second Riku which would give it away.

Yeah, that's why I wrote it off too. Plus, Repliku wouldn't be a part of the 7GOLs that Sora would need to go do a Dive for, unless crazy crap happened and now he is.

One idea that's a stretch could honestly be that it's a placeholder Station of Awakening and it's edited to prevent spoilers. But then in that case, they just wouldn't show Riku's yet lol. Idunno.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Yeah, Riku's station of awakening is a bit odd. I like the design and all, for outside of the games. However as his canonical Station, the lack of Sora (and Kairi) just feels Wrong. Like sure Mickey and Ansem had huge impacts on him and he probably developed a close relationship with Naminé over the year they knew each other, but still Sora at the very least should have had a spot in it.

Maybe in later games they'll create new more updated ones for the Main Characters.

Also if Xion's is included, She better not have Xemnas and Saix on hers, with Roxas and Riku missing. Same with Aqua, Vanitas shouldn't be on there instead of her father Figure Eraques.

The villains being on the Stations in general seems weird, excepts for Riku and Terra who were possesed and had the darkness of the villain in their hearts.

Elysium

Awards
It's not too weird to include a central villain. Snow White's featured the Hag and Aurora's some shapes created by Maleficent. I hope the Xehanort Saga villains wouldn't be featured on their platforms post-KH3 though, since the Xehanorts will be gone at that point.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
It's not too weird to include a central villain. Snow White's featured the Hag and Aurora's some shapes created by Maleficent. I hope the Xehanort Saga villains wouldn't be featured on their platforms post-KH3 though, since the Xehanorts will be gone at that point.
I just went to check on them and you're not wrong, but excepts for Maleficent's emblem, the villains weren't featured in the central circle.

It's actually interesting to compare the first few Stations with the one's we got later on. The one's for the princesses feature quite a bit of variance. Snow Whites having additional circles to feature more of her friends. Also the Circle with the portraits seem to have been positioned up higher and take up less space.

redcrown

Awards
From the description, it seems that Sora will be time hopping a bit to "discover truths he never before imagined". At one point we see something that may be akin to this occur with Aqua where we see several anti aquas. So in the case of Riku perhaps the truths to be discovered may draw on further back experiences, from the time when Riku was still walking the road to dawn. In which case this station would make perfect sense.

This is what I'm thinking as well. As I've heard theorized elsewhere, it could be that Sora is traveling through Riku's memories and his Station of Awakening will change corresponding to the specific time of his arc he's diving into. In fact when they showed Sora shooting that light from his Keyblade into it, I can easily see the design changing and transforming into one that better signifies who he is now and who his heart holds as his most precious connections to.

That or it's just a placeholder that's subject to change lol.

Last edited:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
That or it's just a placeholder that's subject to change lol.
Well that'd be something haha, but I doubt it.

This is what I'm thinking as well. As I've heard theorized elsewhere, it could be that Sora is traveling through Riku's memories and his Station of Awakening will change corresponding to the specific time of his arc he's diving into. In fact when they showed Sora shooting that light from his Keyblade into it, I can easily see the design changing and transforming into one that better signifies who he is now and who his heart holds as his most precious connections to.
This would be cool. I'd love to see the Stations evolving. I find it curious that Sora's has remained unchanged featuring him from before his latest journeys.

Back