• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Riku's Ability

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KHeart

Alright so Riku meets Terra, and he gives him the ability to weild the keyblade. Well he was like what 6 when this happen? So he Riku has had the ability to weild the keyblade for like over ten years now, what I want to know is, why in KH1 does he use that stupid little sword instead of terra's sweet Ends of the Earth Keyblade?

Spire

Terra preformed the rite of succession on Riku when he was 5, but that doesn't immediately give him a Keyblade. Nomura explained it in an interview somewhere... basically all it did was greatly increase the likelihood that a Keyblade would one day go to him, provided he still had a strong heart and yada yada

KHeart

But he didn't have a strong heart, he fell to the darkness.

KHeart

Alright let me get this straight, Sora gets Rikus keyblade. The reason being on that is because Rikus falls to the darkness, okay I understand that. So is the reason he gets one in KHII is because he finds the light?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Alright let me get this straight, Sora gets Rikus keyblade. The reason being on that is because Rikus falls to the darkness, okay I understand that. So is the reason he gets one in KHII is because he finds the light?

It was more like he found the strength of heart to wield one. Riku's acceptance of the Darkness inside of him, as well as the Light, allowed him to gain one.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I love that in threads like this, people ignore completely the fact that the Kingdom Key went over from Sora to Riku, not once, but twice, when Riku's Heart was filled with freaking Darkness.
Hollow Bastion, people? Hello? Delivery boy and Sora falling to his knees crying?
The Keyblade doesn't care squat about Riku's Darkness. It was because Riku's Heart was weak that made both of these events happen - both his descent into Darkness, as well as Sora taking the Keyblade from him (something which also shouldn't have been possible if it wasn't for Sora basically reaching into Riku's Heart and grabbing the Keyblade from there).
Later, when Riku's Heart was stronger, possibly because of accepting the Darkness in Hollow Bastion, the Keyblade went back to him. Stop ignoring that.

Grey

But he didn't have a strong heart, he fell to the darkness.

Yes he did. He states, "I'm not afraid of the darkness!" He's looking darkness in the face and he's ready to jump right in, because he's not afraid. That's strength of heart. If his heart was weak, he probably would have tried to run away from something so scary as darkness.

I think that, despite the Keyblade not being affected by darkness, it still went to Sora because his Heart still resisted the darkness after Riku allowed it (the darkness) to swallow him. I don't know if that means that Riku's Heart was weakened when he was taken by the darkness, or if the Keyblade couldn't go to someone who was just swallowed by the darkness.

But... yeah. Riku was the "wielder", Sora's Heart was strong enough to receive the Keyblade when Riku disappeared, and Riku accepted his darkness and got the Keyblade as he rightfully was supposed to. He then lost it when Sora's heart's strength triumphed, when Riku was abandoned due to Donald's and Goofy's friendship. Riku's heart was lost inside of Xehanort's, and it wasn't until Riku tempered his own darkness and gained strength of heart that way that he re-gained usage of a Keyblade.

Riku didn't get Terra's Keyblade because Terra wasn't giving Riku his Keyblade, he was naming Riku his successor in Keyblade Wielding. Aqua, Terra, and Ven don't use Eraqus's Keyblade because they are his successors (well, Aqua does, but not because she's his successor--it's because her own Keyblade was abandoned when she saved Terra). Kairi used a Keyblade that Aqua owned, but it took the form of Destiny's Embrace because that Keyblade represents Kairi's ties to Aqua. I think it's safer to assume that Riku intentionally transferred a Keyblade to Kairi, and when he began transfer, it took the shape of Aqua's Keyblade, which relates to Aqua's blessing on Kairi.

It seems I have digressed. tl;dr, Riku's a true wielder because Terra made it so, and even though his Heart went on a roller coaster of weakness and strength, Riku was able to receive a Keyblade of his own. He doesn't get Terra's because... well, it's Terra's (and because Terra's Lingering Sentiment is still holding it when Riku finally receives the Keyblade).

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Riku didn't get Terra's Keyblade because Terra wasn't giving Riku his Keyblade, he was naming Riku his successor in Keyblade Wielding. Aqua, Terra, and Ven don't use Eraqus's Keyblade because they are his successors (well, Aqua does, but not because she's his successor--it's because her own Keyblade was abandoned when she saved Terra). Kairi used a Keyblade that Aqua owned, but it took the form of Destiny's Embrace because that Keyblade represents Kairi's ties to Aqua. I think it's safer to assume that Riku intentionally transferred a Keyblade to Kairi, and when he began transfer, it took the shape of Aqua's Keyblade, which relates to Aqua's blessing on Kairi.

Just...regarding Destiny's Embrace, that's not Aqua's Keyblade. It's (laugh with me) Apprentice Xehanort's, whose heart Riku was harboring at the time. Aqua's Keyblade remains in the Chamber of Repose, to which Riku nor Aqua know the existence of or have access to. According to the novels, it appeared for Riku when he was thinking of home.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
DiZ himself says that Riku was weak-hearted at times, and that the darkness exploited that weakness. Just because Riku said he wasn't afraid of the darkness, doesn't really mean he was strong hearted.

Grey

Just...regarding Destiny's Embrace, that's not Aqua's Keyblade. It's (laugh with me) Apprentice Xehanort's, whose heart Riku was harboring at the time. Aqua's Keyblade remains in the Chamber of Repose, to which Riku nor Aqua know the existence of or have access to. According to the novels, it appeared for Riku when he was thinking of home.

I phrased that poorly. I meant that Kairi was wielding a type of Keyblade that Aqua had at one point also used. Kairi's using Xehanort's Keyblade, but it took the form of Destiny's Embrace, which was a keychain used by Aqua created from Kairi's memories (assuming keychains are manifested memories, anyway).

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Yes he did. He states, "I'm not afraid of the darkness!" He's looking darkness in the face and he's ready to jump right in, because he's not afraid. That's strength of heart. If his heart was weak, he probably would have tried to run away from something so scary as darkness.

Having a weak Heart doesn't mean you're scared. It was most likely a bravado. Riku had his issues going for him already at the very start of KH1 and was obsessed with leaving his world. He was basically running away from a life he couldn't stand anymore and falling into something that as far as we know makes you emotionally numb or twists your thought process. That's not showing a lot of personal strength.

I think that, despite the Keyblade not being affected by darkness, it still went to Sora because his Heart still resisted the darkness after Riku allowed it (the darkness) to swallow him. I don't know if that means that Riku's Heart was weakened when he was taken by the darkness, or if the Keyblade couldn't go to someone who was just swallowed by the darkness.

Sora more or less Physically reached into Riku's Heart and snatched the Keyblade in Riku's moment of weakness. I think that had the Darkness really been an issue, that it wouldn't go back to him in Hollow Bastion.

Kairi used a Keyblade that Aqua owned but it took the form of Destiny's Embrace because that Keyblade represents Kairi's ties to Aqua. I think it's safer to assume that Riku intentionally transferred a Keyblade to Kairi, and when he began transfer, it took the shape of Aqua's Keyblade, which relates to Aqua's blessing on Kairi.

You're confusing KeyBLADE with KeyCHAIN. As said before, that Keyblade is most likely Terranort's, and Riku got access to it. As the one who caused that Keyblade to appear, Kairi is the one the KeyCHAIN on the KeyBLADE was based on.
The only reason Aqua had that KeyCHAIN is because she ran into Kairi and felt a connection to her.

Fallen Prince

So then, by that reasoning, Riku cannot now? Or would Riku be able to dual-wield with Terra's keyblade? I'd rather not see him with that exact keyblade, but a second would still be cool.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
It seems that in order to Duel Wield, one must have two Hearts inside him. One Heart Wielding one Keyblade, but the dominant figure's the one using them both.
Way I see it, with Terranoart's Heartless being purged from Riku's Vessel, we'll only see that other Keyblade with a different Keychain in Terranoart/Xehanort/Terra's hands. But time will tell.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
dual weilding isnt so important people are just to hung up on it
t just a differnt fight style to use sora and riku have there own styles to use there weapons so mabey they can but they proably would not

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
t just a differnt fight style to use sora and riku have there own styles to use there weapons so mabey they can but they proably would not

Nomura gave enough importance to Duel Wielding ever since it was first introduced into the series. It basically means you have another Wielder's Heart inside your vessel.
And I'd hardly call what Riku did fighting style as he let Kairi use his other Keyblade.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Since I'm a strong believer in the idea of a part of Terra residing in Riku even after AtW encoder exploded, hypothetically speaking, Riku should still be able to dual wield, no?

the fact that dual wielding means that you have the heart of two keyblade wielders in one body and seeing how there are few keyblade wielders, it is quite important mind you.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards

You obviously have not payed attention to the information regarding keyblades. Keyblades don't care if someone is alligned with the darkness or the light. All they care about is if someone has a strong heart and if they have been chosen by a Keyblade Master.

MX uses a keyblade yet he obviously is full of darkness, and Vanitas who wields a keyblade has a heart of pure darkness. The reason Riku could steal KK from Sora at Hollow Bastion is because he was it's original wielder and his heart was stronger. But Sora was later able to take it back because Sora's heart became stronger.

Now when Riku got The Way to Dawn in KH2 it was because Riku learned to control his darkness and this strengthened his heart to where he could be chosen to wield a keyblade again.
----------------------------
Using Darkness does not = a weak heart.
-------------------------------------

Now when Terra performed the Keyblade Inheritance ceremony on Riku, it didn't give Riku a keyblade. What it did was make Riku a chosen wielder, meaning he had the ability to wield a keyblade but a keyblade just hadn't chosen him yet. It would not be until later that a keyblade itself would choose him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back