• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Riku's ability to smell the Darkness

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muke

whatever
Awards
I have the vague suspicion that the "smelling" is to be taken literally…
subconscious olfactory stimuli.

It provides a quite realistic explanation as to how Riku is experiencing such (more or less) "shock" conditions in the presence of people who use the darkness. Such unconscious olfactory stimuli are also present in real life and although they have hardly been explored as of yet, interesting discoveries have already come to light, like how they can trigger deja-vus whose origins aren't clear because nothing is being… "consciously smelled".

I dunno. It's most probably not the actual explanation, but it seems like the only scientific solution to the whole scent of darkness and the whole smelling, sooo..
Thoughts?

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I always just took it as something creatures that use the power of darkness have. That is why I assume evil peeps are able to sense another evil person is coming before Sora & company could.

Soldier

Awards
I just thought of it as an actual smell that comes off of them, like mildew or chlorine. Something strong that would give away their location no matter what.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I always took it to be another word for "sensing" the darkness. Sense it/smell it, kind of has the same purpose to me.

I don't think it's that odd although the KH fandom makes fun of the dialogue all the time. It really isn't different to me than someone who uses drugs having a certain smell.

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com
Like everyone else, I thought it was just "sensing" the darkness. BBS kind of took it in that way anyway when you think about all the times Aqua sensed someone's light/darkness, so I assumed they just evolved it because they didn't want another game with characters... smelling each other.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Sensing darkness is nothing new, I always thought it was a kind of cool and different that they were talking about something more tangible, an actual smell. I like it. But I guess it could also be symbolic, who knows.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I go back and forth on whether it's meant to be taken literally or if it's like "sensing" it.

However, Riku actually does sniff himself when figuring out what he's smelling!

j2Xo5z.gif

r0jzqW.gif

Smelling is literal confirmed?

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
My take is that they tried adding some spin and originality to the "sensing presences" trope, but wisely realized they lacked the ability of not making it look silly.
Imagine if this carried over in later games.

"I have to remove this headband to beat you, Roxas. Even if... it'll make me smell bad forever."

"This looks like Ansem, but he's Riku, Sora! Here, have a sniff!"

"His musk couldn't lie."

"Terra, you failed to keep your odor under control. Remember, you must not be afraid of showering."

"We originally had our sights set on you, but you developed a certain... deodorant against Darkness."

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
My take is that they tried adding some spin and originality to the "sensing presences" trope, but wisely realized they lacked the ability of not making it look silly.

"I have to remove this headband to beat you, Roxas. Even if... it'll make me smell bad forever."

"His musk couldn't lie."

"Terra, you failed to keep your odor under control. Remember, you must not be afraid of showering."

"We originally had our sights set on you, but you developed a certain... deodorant against Darkness."
This would improve KH in all honesty.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards

"His musk couldn't lie."

Just wait for when Sora and Riku split to go on their own adventure and then Sora with the biggest shit eating grin tells Riku, "Smell you Later"

Then the game just goes black and the ending credits roll.

D

Deleted member 246005

Sonetimes you notice a smell first when you enter a new area or meet someone so that's what i thought when he sats he smelled Ansem.

Like a literal stench of evil.

You could always wolves symbolize Riku like how Lions symbolize Sora and wolves have a better sense of smell than humans (dogs do but you get what i mean).

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Just wait for when Sora and Riku split to go on their own adventure and then Sora with the biggest shit eating grin tells Riku, "Smell you Later"

Then the game just goes black and the ending credits roll.

"Kingdom Hearts is Pokémon Red's prequel" by Game Theory.

He also says "you and Kairi smell the same" to Namine.

Riku must either have a really powerful sense of smell or no one in KH showers.

See, this is what prevents me from trying to do any kind of pseudo-scientific explanation regarding Darkness and such: Kairi doesn't have Darkness.
They literally just tried to turn Riku's nose into a scouter.

Not Ienzo

Website
www.fanfiction.net
"Kingdom Hearts is Pokémon Red's prequel" by Game Theory.

See, this is what prevents me from trying to do any kind of pseudo-scientific explanation regarding Darkness and such: Kairi doesn't have Darkness.
They literally just tried to turn Riku's nose into a scouter.

And then the scouter is never brought up again.

redcrown

Awards
You could always wolves symbolize Riku like how Lions symbolize Sora and wolves have a better sense of smell than humans (dogs do but you get what i mean).

Never thought of this but animal motifs in KH would a good idea; bring in new themes without inventing more mind twisting mythos.

I never interpreted any obvious symbolism for Sora being a lion, unless you're going off his early character design?

Edit: forgot chi/back cover/x existed

Last edited:

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
headcanon: castle oblivion is so sterile that everyone's BO is super noticeable. aqua guarded ven's room with febreeze, boy must be rank after 12 years.

Hirokey123

Awards
So the reason people of darkness typically don't look good is because they don't bathe then? What does that make Riku currently.... a man who knows how to use his musk but also has proper grooming habits? o.o

D

Deleted member 246005

Never thought of this but animal motifs in KH would a good idea; bring in new themes without inventing more mind twisting mythos.

I never interpreted any obvious symbolism for Sora being a lion, unless you're going off his early character design?

Edit: forgot chi/back cover/x existed

Well he is lazy and cats are known to be lazy :cool: . Yeah I am going off of the initial design but sora seems connected to lions. He became a lion in the pride land and nomura supposedly likes lions so it fits.

Riku feels like a dog guy but I was wrong about him being able to talk to girls confidently so I can be wrong about him being a dog guy too. Watch him have a hamster or a gerbil or something:confused:.

Kairi seems like a bird person but i like connecting her to foxes. Ava better her great grandma nomura that is a gold mine:mad:.

So yeah I'm going with Riku being a dog guy so he develops a super sense of smell. In my RWBY AU his semblane is gonna be SuperSenses :rolleyes:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back