• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Riku, Gay or not.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

dejah

:|
if riku were gay, they wouldnt say so. it's a game for kids anyways. -_-.

us delusional people can think what we want. =|

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
HAH! A company like Disney would prefer to take no stance in the issue. Including a gay character defines their stand, so it won't happen in this century.
I really think otherwise. By supporting homosexuality, they would be continuing Walt Disney's legacy of radicalism. Even if not explictly stated, there is a chance that Riku's homosexuality could be another subversive message, as has been seen in other Disney films.

Xiao said:
When Riku has been your all time favorite fictional character for five years, and then someone comes in with a stupid idea like this, yeah it kinda does x.x.
The truth hurts.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
By supporting a controversial matter, they lose paying people. It won't have homosexuality anymore than it'll have abortion or pedophilia. People don't want to think of that stuff when they watch or play Disney.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
By supporting a controversial matter, they lose paying people.
And gain paying people.
It won't have homosexuality anymore than it'll have abortion or pedophilia.
You bracket homosexuality in the same category as abortion and paedophilia? LOL WUT?
People don't want to think of that stuff when they watch or play Disney.
True, Disney has a very 'wholesome' image, but the target audience isn't always children. As I said, not so many people have unfavourable views on homosexuality, and therefore a same-sex romance would be akin to any other romance story that Disney might use. You know, Disney made anti-Nazi Propaganda cartoons in the past, so I'm suggesting that they wouldn't do something totally dissimilar today, in asserting a bold stance on a controversialish issue. Besides, it would add another dimension to any storyline.

...slightly off topic I know. >>

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
And gain paying people.

Wrong. Nobody stops buying Disney merchandise for not including gay characters. And since homosexuals are a minority anyway, they stand to lose more money.

You bracket homosexuality in the same category as abortion and paedophilia? LOL WUT?

Why must you take the worst meaning? I meant that Disney does not deal with controversial issues.

True, Disney has a very 'wholesome' image, but the target audience isn't always children. As I said, not so many people have unfavourable views on homosexuality, and therefore a same-sex romance would be akin to any other romance story that Disney might use. You know, Disney made anti-Nazi Propaganda cartoons in the past, so I'm suggesting that they wouldn't do something totally dissimilar today, in asserting a bold stance on a controversialish issue. Besides, it would add another dimension to any storyline.

Nazisim was a black and white issue. Homosexuality isn't. Anti-nazisim things brought money. Anything related to homosexuality in their works in this day and age will only drive people away. People turn to Disney to get away from reality, to simplicity. Adding homosexuality in forces them to think.

Skinwalker

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Nazisim was a black and white issue. Homosexuality isn't. Anti-nazisim things brought money. Anything related to homosexuality in their works in this day and age will only drive people away. People turn to Disney to get away from reality, to simplicity. Adding homosexuality in forces them to think.

Or it shows them that there's no need to think more of it because the only thing different about the romance is their gender, not the fact that two people are in true love and going to live happily ever after.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
And bully for you for understanding it, Skin, but the majority don't, and the majority are the ones who buy their merchandise.

I

The Show Must Go On
IMO, riku's not gay. there's really nothing that really says that he is gay, just people who go and make soriku yaoi and other people who just happen to take it too seriously.

pheonix is right, alot of people dun think about it that way, and as long as they are the majority, then nothing's going to change.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
Wrong. Nobody stops buying Disney merchandise for not including gay characters. And since homosexuals are a minority anyway, they stand to lose more money.
Wrong on two accounts. Some people would start buying Disney merchandise purely for including gay characters and some would desist buying Disney merchandise for not including gay characters. The balance is that so Disney would stand to gain money for including gay characters. Homosexuals are a minority, but those who openly oppose homosexuality are an even smaller minority.

Why must you take the worst meaning? I meant that Disney does not deal with controversial issues.
In an obvious way. There are subtle messages in Disney films. Just like Riku's homosexuality could easily be one.

Nazisim was a black and white issue. Homosexuality isn't. Anti-nazisim things brought money.
Nazism wasn't a black and white issue in the 1940's. By openly denouncing Germany's regime, they could have stood to loose all their German market, and that of Germany's conquered territories.
Anything related to homosexuality in their works in this day and age will only drive people away. People turn to Disney to get away from reality, to simplicity. Adding homosexuality in forces them to think.
I don't think Disney is always a form of escapism. Neither is it a simple as it may appear; I know this is a bad example, but in Disney's adaption of Pocohontas, they made it into a debate on the morality of colonization, having a much deeper meaning than at first glance.

Ok, the point here is that there is no reason why Riku couldn't be gay.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Wrong on two accounts. Some people would start buying Disney merchandise purely for including gay characters and some would desist buying Disney merchandise for not including gay characters. The balance is that so Disney would stand to gain money for including gay characters. Homosexuals are a minority, but those who openly oppose homosexuality are an even smaller minority.

There is a difference between openly opposing homosexuality and just being uncomfortable with it. Considering that Kingdom Hearts is aimed at a young audience, the parents are often the ones that purchase the game for the audience. If the parents (doing their job for once and keeping an eye on what their children play) are uncomfortable to the point where they don't want their children to play the game, they won't buy it.

In an obvious way. There are subtle messages in Disney films. Just like Riku's homosexuality could easily be one.

Obvious subtilty? There's a new one.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards

You're being naive. Why is it only the ones that openly oppose it counted? Everyone who gets bothered by it in the smallest degree, openly or not, would stop buying Disney products. The number of people who'd start buying Disney just because they included a gay character wouldn't even make a percent.

That's called over-analyzing.

Nazism wasn't a black and white issue in the 1940's. By openly denouncing Germany's regime, they could have stood to loose all their German market, and that of Germany's conquered territories.

ER, on what side did the ***goverment*** stand?

I don't think Disney is always a form of escapism. Neither is it a simple as it may appear; I know this is a bad example, but in Disney's adaption of Pocohontas, they made it into a debate on the morality of colonization, having a much deeper meaning than at first glance.

Ok, the point here is that there is no reason why Riku couldn't be gay.

That wasn't such a hot issue at the time. Homosexuality is.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
Obvious subtilty? There's a new one.
>>I meant that Disney does not deal with controversial issues in an obvious way, choosing the subtler approach instead.

That's called over-analyzing.
These films are made with the intention that at least SOMEONE will take more from it than face value, a reason why Disney is so popular and so loved. Moreover, those involved in the production of Disney films do add idiosyncratic touches – private jokes and so on. I'm sure the production team thought long and hard about the way in which Riku's sexuality was being portrayed.

You're being naive. Why is it only the ones that openly oppose it counted? Everyone who gets bothered by it in the smallest degree, openly or not, would stop buying Disney products. The number of people who'd start buying Disney just because they included a gay character wouldn't even make a percent.

Disney still wouldn’t lose a significant amount of revenue from the inclusion of gay characters alone. Those bothered by homosexuality enough to abstain from buying any Disney products would most certainly be frowned upon by most people, as people tend to sympathise with supporters of homosexuality.

ER, on what side did the ***goverment*** stand?

It just isn’t the case that Disney adopted an anti-Nazi stance for financial motives.
How did anti-nazi things bring money? To suggest that they did would disregard the fact that the timespan where people opposed Nazism was incredibly short, and in America, Nazism wasn’t strongly disliked enough to the point where Disney could be playing up to popular demand for financial motives. There is a greater likelihood that openly declaring an anti-Nazi stance was simply a result of candour, hence Disney could likewise expose a pro-homosexuality stance, with little concern for the repercussions.

That wasn't such a hot issue at the time. Homosexuality is.

Was. 20 years ago.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
>>I meant that Disney does not deal with controversial issues in an obvious way, choosing the subtler approach instead.

Woman, do you see Disney subtly talking about abortion? No. They don't involve themselves in contrversial topics.

These films are made with the intention that at least SOMEONE will take more from it than face value, a reason why Disney is so popular and so loved. Moreover, those involved in the production of Disney films do add idiosyncratic touches – private jokes and so on. I'm sure the production team thought long and hard about the way in which Riku's sexuality was being portrayed.

Actually, Disney is clear-cut in its romances.

Disney still wouldn’t lose a significant amount of revenue from the inclusion of gay characters alone. Those bothered by homosexuality enough to abstain from buying any Disney products would most certainly be frowned upon by most people, as people tend to sympathise with supporters of homosexuality.

Oh yes they would. Like SN said, most of their products are targeted as children, if parents see *anything* amiss, they boycott and protest. Disney doesn't involve itself in these matters.

It just isn’t the case that Disney adopted an anti-Nazi stance for financial motives.
How did anti-nazi things bring money? To suggest that they did would disregard the fact that the timespan where people opposed Nazism was incredibly short, and in America, Nazism wasn’t strongly disliked enough to the point where Disney could be playing up to popular demand for financial motives. There is a greater likelihood that openly declaring an anti-Nazi stance was simply a result of candour, hence Disney could likewise expose a pro-homosexuality stance, with little concern for the repercussions.

Wrong. There was no doubt where USA stood. And even less doubt where the goverment stood. But when you have a 50-50 population, taking a side is bad for your economy.

Was. 20 years ago.

Not like this. Being pro-homosexuality is being anti-Bible (any honest man knows this).

Skinwalker

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Not like this. Being pro-homosexuality is being anti-Bible (any honest man knows this).

No, it isn't. Being pro-homosexuality is being anti-homophobic, homophobia being negative prejudice, which the bible says is wrong.

I think the game should have a choice though, i.e. different conversations, scenes, endings, based on the choices you make in the game, how you treat the characters. There could be the standard three just good friends one, a Sora and Kairi one, a Sora and Riku one. Perhaps more, such as certain characters dying. This way, lots of people would be happy with the added replayability and depth, the morons would be happy avoiding the Sora-Riku path, and the fangirls and Sora-Riku supporters would be happy.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
You're being naive. Regardless of how you interpret the Bible, homosexuality is seen as anti-christianity by a great deal of people. Disney is not going to take a stand in a controversial topic like this. It's not rocket science.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
negative prejudice, which the bible says is wrong.

Negative prejudice is nowhere stated to be a sin....lol, but I wouldn't do it.

However homosexuality is condemned in the Bible. But leave religion out of it, and whether gay is wrong or not. This is simply to get to the root of the problem.

Is Riku gay? Or is he not?

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
You apparently missed the point. The very point is that religion has nothing to do with it, and homosexuality does, which is why Disney won't mess with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back