• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Riku, Gay or not.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
i know that but if a character is not cannon as `straight` or `gay` is there something wrong with fans who draw them being gay or not?

Not at all. They should acknowledge, though, that the character has more of a chance of being straight.

my quistion is how can you see/view a character being gay or not? does a character have to be partnerd up with the same sex be a crossdresser act like a typcail steoryo type homosexual like you see on tv have female intress? does the character must mention his own sexualty in a movie/series/comic to be `Gay cannon`?

In order to be canon? Yes, he must show it, or the writer/director must say it. But the same applies to heterosexual characters. The difference being that a heterosexual will usually be portrayed as such somewhere, even if it's something minor, whereas characters who are possibly gay have a reduced chance of being portrayed as such, unless it's a plot point.

PaygeVidette

Kingdom Hearts is a complex game with many layers. I think intitially Riku's sexuality was quite ambigous as there where hints at both the Riku/Kairi relationship and the Riku/Sora relationship (eg, their entwined destinies, Riku asking Sora alone to leave the Island with him).

However, due to the strong response fans had for the Sora/Kairi pairing or the Riku/Sora pairing, Square-Enix and Disney decided to satisfy the most popular pairings by making Riku entirely gay (his Sora obsession and dress sense alone stress this). There were so many moments between Riku and Sora throughout the game that it is difficult to deny that their is an implied relationship their for those who wish to see it. The same can be said for Sora and Kairi.

Bottom line, square-enix wants to make money, and by leaving the story line open to interpretation by fans they make a ton of cash. Their will probably never be a cannon couple in KH as Tutsuya Nomura (the game's director) stated "the fans can still have fun with the underplots... and make their own speculations" in an interview; he wants fans to make up their own minds about the characters relationships.

GIIIIIIIIIRLZ :D

Website
xephelyn.deviantart.com
Personally, I just overlook sexuality. I simply settle the issue with how one's attracted to another for who they merely are, regardless gender.

Ah, but the thing is, 95% of all characters in any work are heterosexual. So, when judging someone's sexuality in fiction, if there's no reason to believe he or she is homosexual, there's a very high chance the character's heterosexual. So, to an extent, "no reason" is reason for heterosexuality. A game maker won't go out of his way to prove Sora is gay because he'd see no reason to.
For your "no reason" is reason to heterosexuality, I would condone this point for Sora and Kairi since some interest is shown between the two.

However, if there is "no proof" of homosexuality, that certainly does not always jump to the conclusion that the character is heterosexual; that's if there is "no proof" of heterosexuality either.

Bottom line, square-enix wants to make money, and by leaving the story line open to interpretation by fans they make a ton of cash. Their will probably never be a cannon couple in KH as Tutsuya Nomura (the game's director) stated "the fans can still have fun with the underplots... and make their own speculations" in an interview; he wants fans to make up their own minds about the characters relationships.
Precisely. Sora/Kairi isn't any more canon than Sora/Riku, for neither are set on stone and Nomura himself said that "no pairing in KH is canon, everything is left for fan interpretation".

The interesting thing with Sora/Kairi is how hints towards their love is mostly just 'heavily implied' rather than 'shown/developed'. You're just reminded with bits of flashbacks, elements/events which make Sora think back on Kairi or whatever. Riku and Sora on the other hand, while it may be a more platonic relationship, clearly shows more profound interaction and development.

Massive Attack

Dial 'M' for 'Motherfucker'
Awards
Who cares? Just play the games, enjoy it/don't enjoy it.
The whole "let's think deeply about the characters in this game" is in my opinion a waste of time.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
However, if there is "no proof" of homosexuality, that certainly does not always jump to the conclusion that the character is heterosexual; that's if there is "no proof" of heterosexuality either.

No, but it is assumed so. It is the "default" sexuality.

There were so many moments between Riku and Sora throughout the game that it is difficult to deny that their is an implied relationship their for those who wish to see it.

Talk about one not taken out of context, please.

unluckylink13

Website
www.myspace.com
Personally, I don't think Riku's gay, but you never know. It's his own personality.
For example, if you've read the Harry Potter series, it doesn't hint throughout the entire books that Dumbledore was gay, but it turns out he was :eek:. Didn't even play a part in the plot, but he is.
Here's some info about gays in video games (as well as lesbians, transgenders, and such.

It just goes to show you that it's not out of the question. Also, I believe if in an E-10+ game a male can kiss a female, a male should be able to kiss a male without a rating increase. The same goes for females :)

risingfalls

Disjoin Remorse From Power
I don't think that he is gay. Nothing really points toward it...except for the ending of KH2, and even after that, Sora is still with Kairi. If Sora can get a girl, I don't see why Riku can't.And why does it matter? It has nothing to do with the plot..well, at least not now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back