• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Reversing the effects of Fabric Softener on Clothes

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricier21

Is it possible to get cotton clothes such as pyjama pants and boxers back to feeling the way that they were before using fabric softener on them? As well, will ironing them out make them softer, and or more strong and supported and not as loose?

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Ironing sometimes make the clothes more stiff but it really depends on the kind of fabric you use.
As for fabric softener, the effect mostly vanishes for me as soon as I wash the clothes again without softener.

Patricier21

Ironing sometimes make the clothes more stiff but it really depends on the kind of fabric you use.
As for fabric softener, the effect mostly vanishes for me as soon as I wash the clothes again without softener.

Thank you for your reply. :) They still feel fabric softened after a little over 5 months. The boxers and one of my pyjama pants are from Old Navy, 100% cotton, and two other pyjama pants are from Joe Fresh, 40% Cotton and 60% Polyester. Will ironing make any of them less loose and more supported? Is there any way at all to make them feel like they did before I used fabric softener on them?

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Thank you for your reply. :) They still feel fabric softened after a little over 5 months. The boxers and one of my pyjama pants are from Old Navy, 100% cotton, and two other pyjama pants are from Joe Fresh, 40% Cotton and 60% Polyester. Will ironing make any of them less loose and more supported? Is there any way at all to make them feel like they did before I used fabric softener on them?

Are you sure it's because of the fabric softener? Because that stuff usually only lasts until you wash the stuff again (that's why it's added lastly so it doesn't get washed out during the washing program). Might it be that the clothes got softer because you washed them multiple times?
If you're looking for a way to make the clothes harder for longer than five minutes, then simply ironing won't do the deal. But you may buy something called "spray starch" (I'm german so that's what google tells me what it's called). You put that on the clothes before ironing them, and THEN it should feel less soft.

Patricier21

Are you sure it's because of the fabric softener? Because that stuff usually only lasts until you wash the stuff again (that's why it's added lastly so it doesn't get washed out during the washing program). Might it be that the clothes got softer because you washed them multiple times?
If you're looking for a way to make the clothes harder for longer than five minutes, then simply ironing won't do the deal. But you may buy something called "spray starch" (I'm german so that's what google tells me what it's called). You put that on the clothes before ironing them, and THEN it should feel less soft.

I am pretty sure that it is the fabric softener, because my boxers and pyjama pants felt so much different than before. I used it on them in the first place to fix them after the boxers started feeling disjointed and not as supported on the right side, and getting the Old Navy jammy pants wet on the inside, which made them feel hard and stiff, even after washing them multiple times. In regards to the Joe Fresh jammy pants, I just wanted them to feel softer and less tight. In hindsight, I should have only tested one pair of boxers and two of the jammy pants out before using it on all of them at once just to have enough to have a worthwhile load :(

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
You want to buy starch and spray them on your clothes when you iron them. They will be much more stiff. You can also try hand washing your clothes and air-drying them.

Use less fabric softener in the wash.

Patricier21

Would washing them with just fabric softener and NOT detergent affect them differently in any way?

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
No.
Detergent is washed out thoroughly in the spin cycle, only the fabric softener lasts.
So basically the only thing that'd change would be the smell maybe, and the fact that they wouldn't be exactly "clean" then.

Patricier21

Also, is there anything that can get clothing back to feeling normal after getting them completely soaked in pee? One of my boxers and pyjama pants which I fabric softened got their insides completely soaked in pee, and even after washing them many, many times (including washing the boxers inside out), and getting them fabric softened, they still felt stiff. I recently ironed the jammy pants, and while it seemed to take away the effects of both the pee and the fabric softener, it made them overall looser than they were before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back