• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

'Retro Video Game'-inspired Short Film (Live Action Side-Scroller)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight93

Bronze Member
Awards
Hotel In Traverse Town, Trying To Sneak Out Withou
Hey guys,

Just finished my newest short film that takes the style of a video game side-scroller and is filled with classic video game references. I hope you enjoy it and let me know what you guys think!

[video=youtube;MgkKhGyFiVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgkKhGyFiVg[/video]

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Love it, same as the last one (I actually went back and rewatched Imagined Warfare just the other day). Act 2 is the standout act for me, with the side-scrolling camera, dialogue/writing ("I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM!"), and great retro video effects (done in After Effects I assume?). Act 3 also had a pretty impressively choreographed and filmed fight scene, wonderfully costumed boss battle, and the KO screen was great. Act 1 showed that I could still learn some things about jump cuts and pans from you.

Imagined Warfare is still my favorite (that one blew me away), but this one is a lot of fun to watch!

Edit: I also like how it took me until the fourth or fifth viewing to realize it suddenly starts snowing in the scene where the protagonist finally reaches his girlfriend. Hooray for filming outside in the elements!

Last edited:

Twilight93

Bronze Member
Awards
Hotel In Traverse Town, Trying To Sneak Out Withou
Thank you so much Hidden! You're notes are always great!

I'm really glad Act 2 stood out well, it was definitely the section I was the most stressed out about to film. All the effects and graphics were done on After Effects. A lot of those are different shots stitched together, sometimes two shots in one. The text box coming down essentially gives me a cut, really nifty trick.

Really happy to hear the fight choreography came out well. It was a combination of the three of us throwing out ideas. I had also just seen The Raid movies (HIGHLY recommend, some the best action movies ever in my opinion) so my mind was very tied to that while shooting. From Act 1, whip pans and jump cuts are what I love (clearly). They're definitely a lot of fun and are such a clever way to get easy one shots by letting you cut in between whip pans (a lot of that in Act 3 for the fight, ensured we got some very pretty shots).

Sorry I took so long to reply, I'm doing a bunch of video game-themed short films for a class and I'm just working on them back to back. Next up is going to be a Metal Gear Solid short, which I think you'll love since it has similar cinematography to Imagined Warfare :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back