• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Rethinking Cell Phones in Schools

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Article (here)

So after browsing MSN and reading this article, I think that it raises a fairly valid point. Cell phone bans in schools, whichever side you agree with, are definitely not working.

Is there a more constructive use for this, then? And if so, what is it?

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Well, it is pretty simple.

You agree to go to a school.

You agree to the terms in order to go to said school.

The terms prohibit cell phones on the premises.

Seems pretty simple to me, lol

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
Eh... doesn't stop people from bringing them.

And to be honest, they can come in handy during the rare emergency.

Like those times when a bus driver goes wacko and decides to dump all the kids on his route in the middle of a different district during a blizzard. /true story. *and I didn't have mah frickin' phone D<*

Zeagal

Lick It Good
Those bans help more than you think even though they don't stop people from bringing cell phones.
I agree though that severe bans like the one in that article should be stopped because people need cellphones in case of emergencies.
With looser bans like the one my school has where you are just not allowed to 'use' your phone during school hours, cell phone use at least becomes more subtle so that to those that really care cell phones pose no problem.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
I don't know if anyone actually read the article, (you probably should), but they listed a few other options that could be more constructive. What do you think the viability of these ideas is?

And yes, you're not supposed to have them in school, but nothing is going to change the fact that kids will bring them. It's a question of how better to incorporate them into school.

Optimus Rhyme

Better than Ken at LoL
Not having them at all is B.S.

You should be allowed to have them with you, but if you're caught using them during class, it should be teacher's preference on what to do.

T

The Spoiler

Just last week the school decided that we can use our cell phones in the hallways and in study halls, but not during instructions/work.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Even if they try to incorporate them into the lesson plan, it'll just be abused, like texting or playing games in class and saying that they're doing research -.-"

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
I agree, there will be those that abuse it. But that's going to be true of any sort of cell phone regulation, kids not willing to learn will always exist.

Then there are the other ones, who would actually be able to use it for beneficial purposes. Doesn't that outweigh the ones who won't, especially if those people are going to exist regardless of policies?

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
I really think cell phone bans are stupid.
I noticed this when I started college. Phones aren't banned at all (except during tests, obviously).
People get phone calls they need to answer. Regardless, some people use their phones as a research or educational tool.

If people are misusing it and texting during class and not paying attention, they should be able to deal with those consequences. Nobody has to police or baby them. It's their decision, and if they fail the test, that's their fault.

One of the most useful things ever is being able to take pictures with my cell phone of labs during Biology.

Weeaboo

Kawaii Queen
Awards
Website
www.subeta.net
At my school, our policy is that we keep them in our lockers. Thing is, you only got 5 minutes to get to your locker, grab the phone and homework material, then RUN to your bus. Which I think is bad. I mean, I know about 10 kids a day don't get to ride the bus home and gotta wait till 5pm for their parents.

This happened to me before my mom decided to start driving to and home from school.

I think we should just ahve them. If teachers paid more attention to their class they'd be able to see if the kids are using their phones :/

iSeeYOU

At my old high school one of my teachers said the major reason why they ban cellphones nowadays is because EVERY cellphone has a camera and they don't want professors or anything else getting filmed.

Lumen et ignem

Bronze Member
What they do at my school is if you have a cell phone at school keep it in your locker turned off. If you get caught with it you get detention. This makes more sense than banning them completly.

Ventus Air-Man

Wanderer
Awards
At my school, you are allowed to have cellphones, whether it be in your locker or pocket. They do have to be turned off though. In my opinion, this is the best way to go. Students could call their parents in emergencies, get a ride home, etc.

Camilo101

My school just has a simple "keep them off and if we see it we take it" deal, but a lot of kids just use them anyways and more than half the time the teachers aren't even paying attention to notice. It's kinda annoying, because the kids are just blatantly ignoring the rules, but then again even though it's irritating I know it's just a minor thing overall. Schools can't really do much about it without looking totalitarian.

Aria

braver by the minute
At my school, you are allowed to have cellphones, whether it be in your locker or pocket. They do have to be turned off though. In my opinion, this is the best way to go. Students could call their parents in emergencies, get a ride home, etc.

This is what my school does too.

I think that no matter what you do, there's always going to be someone who doesn't listen to the ban. It's just a matter of choosing the one that benefits the most people. I don't agree with a full out ban on cell phones. They're really useful for after school activities, if it gets canceled, or is in a different location, you need a ride etc...

Divine Rose

It's quite funny that in my school cell phones are taken by security in the entrance, but students manage to sneak them in or security don't bother checking the "good" students. In other words, the cell phone ban may be pointless on some schools that apply it.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

It was the same at the high school I used to go to, and the middle school before that, andIMO that's the way it should be. Sometimes shit happens and a student needs to call his folks or someone else, or vice versa. If they get caught misusing it, have it taken away and have the student/their parents pick it up later. If the behavior continues, take further action. It's that simple. Severe bans on them are ridiculous and unnecessary.

KingBlade

by sinspire^
Lol, my teacher would text in class back at my high school. It was good to know that teachers were like us.

I say have them turned off in lockers. If your caught using it, take it away from the student until the end of the day or have the parents of the student pick it up. Thats what my school did.

Sora'sProtector

My high school allowed students to have them, but if a teacher ever heard the phone or saw somebody using it, they'd take it away. Simple as that. Didn't stop people from texting under the table, but most of my teachers were smart and aware enough to catch them.

In college almost no professor cares. :/ As long as you don't disturb anyone. If you decided to not pay attention, there was almost no point of coming to class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back