• Hello KHInsider Forum Members! Please hide all spoilers and discussion for Final Fantasy VII Remake in a spoiler tag, keep all titles spoiler-free, and do not share any videos/streams/images prior to April 9th 9pm Pacific Time. Anybody who fails to comply will be banned immediately for a week.

Retcons might (potentially) ruin the Game for many

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Foxycian

Awards
What ya’ll opinion on this? I’m not the biggest fan of the retcon and I’m starting to think Nomura is getting overboard, there are retcons that I wouldn’t mind but there are also retcons that i don’t like.

Retcons That I’m not big fan of

1. birth by sleep 0.2:
Imo this game didn’t need to happen, it Felt like a filer, I enjoyed the journey in the realm of darkness but what ruined it for me is... I really didn’t like how Mickey spoiled everything to Aqua About Sora and the gang, that really ruined blank points for me, please don’t defend it that cutscene lost its worth, also Mickey and Aqua didn’t need to run into Sora and riku, that was a terrible retcon, you seriously telling me aqua was there the whole time fighting and riku didn’t notice her? are you Deaf riku? Plus Mickey never mentioned Aqua when he was with riku the whole time after they escaped the Realm of darkness, heck riku had enough darkness power (in kh2) to open a darkness portal he had the power to bring aqua back

2. Vanitas could potentially be his own person:
That would be one of the worst retcon... like seriously Nomura... throughout birth by sleep Vanitas kept calling Ventus “My other half” and in kh3 he kept calling him brother, don’t try to fool me now that Vanitas is supposed to be his own person, I really hope Hope this retcon doesn’t happen

Retcon that I don’t mind see happening

1. Xehanort could be kairi’s grandfather:
i don’t mind seeing this twist I like it Now this was an old and unpopular theory, but if it happened then I will accept it since there are two small hints that could potentially make this theory (or retcon?) Happen and they are

1. Xehanort and kairi grandma existed in the same time Period and both very old, they could be married couple for all we know

2. the xehanort and kairi Quotes, these two share one quote “there’s one sky one destiny” If this ever becomes real I would probably (maybe?) accept it, In general I don’t accept retcon but just like the Ventus one I guess I would let this one slide since it’s an interesting twist

Edit: I won’t count Ventus last as Retcons since we never knew anything of his past, and Ofc There is a long list of all the terrible Retcons of kingdom hearts which I won’t list... but do you guys get my point? If these Retcons keep happening then I can see it affect the franchise, so are you ok with with this? or do you wish that Nomura would take a new approach and start creating a new unique ideas instead of the Retcons?

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
  • Ninja'd
  • In the Grid
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX
  • Ever Gentle and Kind
  • Fairest of them All
  • Jiminy's Journal
An important thing is knowing the difference between information that fills in blanks and works with the existing canon, and actual retcons.

Foxycian

Awards
An important thing is knowing the difference between information that fills in blanks and works with the existing canon, and actual retcons.
Was there anything I said flawed? You can correct me if i did^^

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Isn't the only true retcon in the KH series that nobodies can grow hearts? Everything else seems to be information that was added on later to connect story elements (like Ventus being from the Age of Fairytales).

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Isn't the only true retcon in the KH series that nobodies can grow hearts? Everything else seems to be information that was added on later to connect story elements (like Ventus being from the Age of Fairytales).
Even that's debatable at this point about the Nobodies and their hearts. Regardless none of the changes ruin the series for me. I poke fun of them in the "nitpicks" thread but simply getting new info on old events doesn't necessarily make it a retcon...does it? I may need to double check.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Even that's debatable at this point about the Nobodies and their hearts. Regardless none of the changes ruin the series for me. I poke fun of them in the "nitpicks" thread but simply getting new info on old events doesn't necessarily make it a retcon...does it? I may need to double check.
I looked up the definition of retcon and this is what I got:
  • To accommodate desired aspects of sequels or derivative works which would otherwise be ruled out.
  • In response to negative fan reception of previous stories.
  • To correct and overcome errors or problems identified in the prior work since its publication.
  • To change how the prior work should be interpreted.
  • To match reality, when assumptions or projections of the future are later proven wrong.
I would have said that Ven being from the Age of Fairytales would have fallen into the first category, but the part about "otherwise be ruled out" exempts that fact. Ven's history was always a mystery, we just knew that he was special and chosen by Xehanort, which to me says that we wouldn't rule out that Xehanort chose Ven because he was from the Age of Fairytales. If we had more history on Ven and then it was forced in a way to fit him into the Age of Fairytales, then I would call it a retcon.

I think the revelation that nobodies can grow hearts may fall under the same "to accommodate desired aspects of sequels". But again, there's the "otherwise ruled out" portion. Many people speculated that nobodies had hearts in KH2 days, so I don't think many fans were "ruling out" that nobodies can grow hearts. Also, I'm not sure what "desired aspects" nobodies growing hearts really affects. All it really does is explain Roxas, Axel, and others behaviours; and my actual favourite usage is making Master Xehanort into an even more devious villain because he knew they would grow hearts and didn't care. But in terms of the plot, it doesn't really do anything.

Aqua being there at the end of KH1 doesn't scream "retcon" either, if you follow the criteria I posted. I mean, if anything, 0.2 basically retconned itself by "correcting and overcoming errors or problems identified in the prior work" because it had to explain Mickey going from clothed to shirtless in its own game lol. Aside from that, I don't see how Aqua knowing about Sora/Riku before meeting Ansem The Wise ruins Blank Points. I can't remember if Mickey gave Aqua Sora or Riku's names, didn't he just say "job's taken"? Either way, I think 0.2 made Blank Points more emotional to me. Aqua was aware of danger going on out in the worlds, thanks to Mickey, then accepted her fate as trapped in the Realm of Darkness. She wandered around for about a year and meets Ansem The Wise who tells her things are better and it's thanks to Sora - the boy she got the glimmer of hope from Mickey. In my eyes, Aqua was holding on to what Mickey told her about Sora/Riku for hope, then Ansem The Wise's information confirmed to her that things were getting better out there.

An example of a retcon would be Darth Vader being revealed as Luke's father. It was established in Episode IV that Darth Vader killed Luke's father. There are also no hints of Darth Vader being Luke's father at all in Episode IV. I believe that would fall under the "to accommodate desired aspects of sequels or derivative works which would otherwise be ruled out" point. From the information given in Episode IV, we would rule out Darth Vader being Luke's father. Compared to nobodies growing hearts, we're told this, but we see several examples that would prove otherwise. Which makes it not really able to be ruled out.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
  • Ninja'd
  • In the Grid
  • Ever Gentle and Kind
  • Fairest of them All
  • Jiminy's Journal
Was there anything I said flawed? You can correct me if i did^^
Something is a retcon if it alters previously established information. For example:

Old: Sora is from Destiny Islands.
New: Sora is from Radiant Garden.

That is a retcon.

Here's another example, from your list:

Ven being from the Age of Fairy Tales. This is not a retcon. He has a big gap missing in his history so there was room to flesh out that backstory.

Zettaflare

Prince of Shinjuku
Awards
  • Anguis Union
  • Nothing's Like Before
The less retcons the better. Especially ones such as Donald and Goofy being at Yen Sid's tower in BBS when Donald was surprised the wizard lived there in KH2

I'm all for filling in gaps but don't alter established history

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
  • Ninja'd
  • In the Grid
  • Ever Gentle and Kind
  • Fairest of them All
  • Jiminy's Journal
The less retcons the better. Especially ones such as Donald and Goofy being at Yen Sid's tower in BBS when Donald was surprised the wizard lived there in KH2

I'm all for filling in gaps but don't alter established history
At least they eventually acknowledged it in-game. There's a Kingstagram post of Mickey talking about how Yen Sid likes to change the location from time to time, hence Donald being surprised by the tower being so close to Twilight Town.

Or could just use the easier excuse: he doesn't remember every single detail from a decade ago. It's Donald, it doesn't require a huge stretch of the imagination.

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
Yeah, I kind of agree with most of the above points that the examples you initially listed were not really retcons.

1) Vens true past was never explained before, so giving him one doesn't rewrite anything.

2) 0.2: Mickey didn't really spoil anything--he never mentioned Sora by name, so Aqua having the realization that the boy she tried to spare the fate of a Keyblade ended up getting one anyway is still emotionally impactful to her. So even if we ignore everything about Riku I still think Blank Points works. Also, they specifically gave a reason (albeit a crap one) for why Mickey didn't mention Aqua to Riku sooner. If anything, it just is another example of a time Mickey is actually pretty horrible at letting people know important things when he needs to. (Including the time he let Sora down by not warning him about what happened in the Data world and the "hurt" before he went into the realm of sleep for his exam.) Mickey gets passed the idiot ball quite frequently in this series, but it isn't a retcon.

3) Obviously we don't know everything about Vanitas' situation yet, but Vanitas having some other "older entity" of sorts inside of him secretly this whole time is basically the same thing that was going on with Sora for like...the entire series. So I feel like if you have issue with beings hitching rides undetected inside other people and only just revealing themselves later down the line then I think you would have FAR more "retcons" to have issue with in this series than this one in particular. It's kind of a series staple at this point.

4) I don't believe that one--the reasoning is weak and basically just boils down to "they were two old people of the opposite gender who could have interacted once maybe". I have a feeling that Kairi's true lineage may be a future plot point, but I'm not entirely sure it would make sense to tie her to Xehanort. If anything wouldn't it be more interesting if she was somehow a decedent of the same "blue blood" line that Eraqus was from? I mean what would her being related to Xehanort do for the narrative? I can't see that impacting much. It would just be like "oh...okay. Well he's already dead, so...."
But her being somehow tied to some currently unknown Keyblade lineage would be directly related to current plot stuff that is no doubt going to get stirred up in the following games and would possibly give her a connection to TAV.

To answer your question overall: ignoring semantics of "retcon", I suppose your question really comes down to "do you enjoy this style of storytelling or not?" With Nomura's "style" defined as being one which has many, many convoluted interconnecting parts where not all information is revealed at one time but slowly filled in over the years.
To this, I'd say yeah, I enjoy it. I wouldn't be here if I didn't.

As much as people scream and wail about KH being complicated and having plot holes, I've never really found too many issues with the narrative, personally. Most things ARE explained if you look for it, or at least if they aren't at the time, they are explained in future installments. I don't think that is a bad thing. That's kinda what I like about it. I have faith that things will make sense eventually. They always have. And when they are mysterious I have a chance to theory craft and think about it.

I can't think of too many plot holes or actual retcons that seriously impact the story to a significant degree or bother me. (Someone earlier mentioned Yen Sid's tower--while I think the "excuse" for why they didn't recognize it is absolutely silly, Disney characters operate on very strange logic sometimes so I just let that one go.)

The only other one I could think of off the top of my head was how Sora didn't know how to fist-bump in Big Hero 6 despite doing it himself in a previous game (KH2 limit with Riku), but this could easily be dismissed as "it isn't called that from where he's from". And again, something as silly as that isn't really going to bother me that much.

Nomura loves to hide things in plain sight almost--giving us scenarios where we just sort of make our own assumptions, or dismiss something as irrelevant and keep going only to have it reappear later as surprisingly significant. For a quick example: we saw in BBS that Lea and Isa were planning on sneaking into the castle. It seemed like they were doing it on purpose, and had been for a while. We were not told the reason, only had to assume. Later in 3 of course, we learn EXACTLY why they were doing that. While it could have been written to be any reason, the existence of mystery girl X does not retcon anything we saw of their characters in BBS and, if anything, it fills in details that were previously missing that people probably glossed over the first time thinking it wasn't too relevant. If you go back and rewatch that scene with them now, too, it also makes a lot more sense and is almost sadder (if mystery girl X is indeed someone who Ven knows and could have saved had he known about her as well).

While you might say this is a retcon and it's annoying, I think it constantly deepens my appreciation of previous games and gives me reason to go back and replay them with new information.

OneDandelion

Awards
There are no real retcons yet. Most of what you think are retcons were misdirections or subversions but whether or not they were always intentional is up for debate I guess; but if there were some retcons I wouldn't mind if it actually improves the story. I've been following this story since KH1 first came out - that was 18 years ago. Realistically no one can expect a writer to perfectly execute a story across multiple games and consoles over such a long period of time without more than a few failures. It's too huge a task for anyone. Even manga authors fall into this trap over time and at least they have consistency in the medium of what they're writing.

It's somewhat impressive to me that the series has developed as well as it has and kept my interest for so long but the gaps in between the games has really been getting to me lately. And if I feel it I can't imagine how it feels for Nomura. Hopefully he writes more amazing stories for this series but I can't blame him much if the story takes a dip or two here and there.

Foxycian

Awards
I see Thx for correcting me guys, altho I still don’t like those two things

0.2 and vanitas potentially be his own person, guess I should have said I don’t like how they come up with the story is they go, clearly majority of stuff are not planned but made up as they move on

either way thx now I understand retcon.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Yeah, I kind of agree with most of the above points that the examples you initially listed were not really retcons.

1) Vens true past was never explained before, so giving him one doesn't rewrite anything.

2) 0.2: Mickey didn't really spoil anything--he never mentioned Sora by name, so Aqua having the realization that the boy she tried to spare the fate of a Keyblade ended up getting one anyway is still emotionally impactful to her. So even if we ignore everything about Riku I still think Blank Points works. Also, they specifically gave a reason (albeit a crap one) for why Mickey didn't mention Aqua to Riku sooner. If anything, it just is another example of a time Mickey is actually pretty horrible at letting people know important things when he needs to. (Including the time he let Sora down by not warning him about what happened in the Data world and the "hurt" before he went into the realm of sleep for his exam.) Mickey gets passed the idiot ball quite frequently in this series, but it isn't a retcon.

3) Obviously we don't know everything about Vanitas' situation yet, but Vanitas having some other "older entity" of sorts inside of him secretly this whole time is basically the same thing that was going on with Sora for like...the entire series. So I feel like if you have issue with beings hitching rides undetected inside other people and only just revealing themselves later down the line then I think you would have FAR more "retcons" to have issue with in this series than this one in particular. It's kind of a series staple at this point.

4) I don't believe that one--the reasoning is weak and basically just boils down to "they were two old people of the opposite gender who could have interacted once maybe". I have a feeling that Kairi's true lineage may be a future plot point, but I'm not entirely sure it would make sense to tie her to Xehanort. If anything wouldn't it be more interesting if she was somehow a decedent of the same "blue blood" line that Eraqus was from? I mean what would her being related to Xehanort do for the narrative? I can't see that impacting much. It would just be like "oh...okay. Well he's already dead, so...."
But her being somehow tied to some currently unknown Keyblade lineage would be directly related to current plot stuff that is no doubt going to get stirred up in the following games and would possibly give her a connection to TAV.

To answer your question overall: ignoring semantics of "retcon", I suppose your question really comes down to "do you enjoy this style of storytelling or not?" With Nomura's "style" defined as being one which has many, many convoluted interconnecting parts where not all information is revealed at one time but slowly filled in over the years.
To this, I'd say yeah, I enjoy it. I wouldn't be here if I didn't.

As much as people scream and wail about KH being complicated and having plot holes, I've never really found too many issues with the narrative, personally. Most things ARE explained if you look for it, or at least if they aren't at the time, they are explained in future installments. I don't think that is a bad thing. That's kinda what I like about it. I have faith that things will make sense eventually. They always have. And when they are mysterious I have a chance to theory craft and think about it.

I can't think of too many plot holes or actual retcons that seriously impact the story to a significant degree or bother me. (Someone earlier mentioned Yen Sid's tower--while I think the "excuse" for why they didn't recognize it is absolutely silly, Disney characters operate on very strange logic sometimes so I just let that one go.)

The only other one I could think of off the top of my head was how Sora didn't know how to fist-bump in Big Hero 6 despite doing it himself in a previous game (KH2 limit with Riku), but this could easily be dismissed as "it isn't called that from where he's from". And again, something as silly as that isn't really going to bother me that much.

Nomura loves to hide things in plain sight almost--giving us scenarios where we just sort of make our own assumptions, or dismiss something as irrelevant and keep going only to have it reappear later as surprisingly significant. For a quick example: we saw in BBS that Lea and Isa were planning on sneaking into the castle. It seemed like they were doing it on purpose, and had been for a while. We were not told the reason, only had to assume. Later in 3 of course, we learn EXACTLY why they were doing that. While it could have been written to be any reason, the existence of mystery girl X does not retcon anything we saw of their characters in BBS and, if anything, it fills in details that were previously missing that people probably glossed over the first time thinking it wasn't too relevant. If you go back and rewatch that scene with them now, too, it also makes a lot more sense and is almost sadder (if mystery girl X is indeed someone who Ven knows and could have saved had he known about her as well).

While you might say this is a retcon and it's annoying, I think it constantly deepens my appreciation of previous games and gives me reason to go back and replay them with new information.
This was a really nice detailed read. It ReMinds me (lol) how much I love this insane series.

Zetsumei

Awards
  • Keyblade Master
  • Vulpes Union
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
  • NieR: Automata
Idk if this really counts as a retcon or not, but something I really didn't like is how trivial they made keyblades seem in KH3.

Riku and Mickey's Keyblades broke and they were easily able to get new ones from Yen Sid.

Axel's keyblade just materialized for some reason, and then Xemnas was able to break it with his bare hands.

It's like they are saying a keyblade can form from the strength of a person's heart, but then in the same sentence saying that Keyblades can be weak and expendible. So how you can have a strong heart, but a weak keyblade ? It just doesn't really make much sense imo.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
  • Ninja'd
  • In the Grid
  • Ever Gentle and Kind
  • Fairest of them All
  • Jiminy's Journal
Idk if this really counts as a retcon or not, but something I really didn't like is how trivial they made keyblades seem in KH3.

Riku and Mickey's Keyblades broke and they were easily able to get new ones from Yen Sid.

Axel's keyblade just materialized for some reason, and then Xemnas was able to break it with his bare hands.

It's like they are saying a keyblade can form from the strength of a person's heart, but then in the same sentence saying that Keyblades can be weak and expendible. So how you can have a strong heart, but a weak keyblade ? It just doesn't really make much sense imo.
If you damage a Keyblade enough, you can force it to dissipate temporarily. That's what Xemnas did; he didn't straight up break it to the same degree of Riku and Mickey's. But I agree with your point; if they just wanted those two to get new Keyblades, this was not the way to go.

Hirokey123

Awards
  • Keyblade Master
  • Master of Monologues
Keyblades are kinda trivial that was like one of the main plot points in KH1, yes they are powerful weapons but they are at the end of the day just weapons. The game opens up with being told you hold the most powerful weapon of all but being cut off before we can hear what that weapon is, this leads you into assuming that it is talking about the keyblade...but it's not. The entire HB segment and then the final words before you enter the last door at the EotW tell you that the strongest weapon in the series is the heart. "I don't need the keyblade my friends are my power!"

That doesn't mean the keyblade isn't special and doesn't grant opportunities but it does mean that what actually matters are the wielders, the people who the blade is held by and their hearts. Sora's keyblade was special only because he was one of the few wielders around, by the time of BBS that had been firmly dispelled which is why then DDD focused on showing us what Sora and Riku FEEL about being wielders, what the keyblade personally means to them as people, and what they want to do with it.

I also never got why people could willingly accept that hearts can be broken, taken, apart, and fused together despite having only a tenuous physical presence what with being just a manifestation of a bunch of ethereal concepts like emotions, memories, and the connection between people none of which have mass....but the idea of a real actual physical object that acts as an extension of the heart breaking is just...unappealable?

Riku gets every single one of is weapons off screen that's just his thing. In KH1 he showed up in Traverse Town suddenly with Soul Eater in hand. In KH2 he showed up in TWTNW suddenly with WttD in hand. In KH3 he suddenly showed up in the RoD with Braveheart in hand. None of these are shown to us because the point isn't in the obtainment it's the message behind it. When he shows up with soul eater this dark ominous evil looking sword you can understand immediately Riku has been interacting with bad people, he's been getting power from bad people, and he is going down a dark dangerous path playing with forces he shouldn't. When he shows up with a soul eater transformed into a keyblade we can understand the symbolism there that both on screen and off screen he's endured a lot of growth and now he is being true to his heart and that's why he finally had re-obtained the keyblade.
BBS and DDD then recontextualized Riku and the keyblade's meaning to him, and having WttD break and be left behind without a fuss showed immensely how much Riku had grown. He isn't trying to make his way back to the light, he's already there, and he's starting anew with a new path that begins by leaving behind symbol of his struggles. He obtains a new one off screen because it's well established at this point wielders can spawn new blades, and it happens with no real flair because Riku himself was already strong, true, and worthy as anyone so there was no real need to wait no dark tunnel to go through. What is more important is riku leaving that blade behind for Riku replica, he's symbolically leaving Repliku a way out of the darkness and back to the light, just as he is aware that he himself is now acting as a vessel for Repliku and carrying his heart out of the darkness and back to the realm of light with him. It also functions as a double foreshadowing because it's left the same way other keyblades are left to mark a grave of a fallen wielder, foreshadowing that repliku will be perishing for real at the end of this.

Axel's keyblade didn't just materialize for some reason, it materialized the same way everyone who isn't Sora's did. He got the ceremony and then his heart finally burned strong enough to manifest it. The game doesn't show the ceremony on screen since that would spoil the twist, but his entire story before that heavily alludes to him going to Yensid to learn how to become a wielder and Yensid agreeing to it, and then later on in that same game Lea confirms it. Yensid even said that Lea's heart need only burn strong enough for him to manifest his blade. Which it takes no jump in logics to understand hearing Xehanort's plan and seeing Isa, one of the people he wants back, under Xehanort's command reinforced Lea's desire to save his friends.

Tartarus

Villain by Necessity
Awards
  • Fairest of them All
  • Nothing's Like Before
Story changes--not sure if retcons or not--already made me lose interest in paying attention to the story all the way back in KH2. KH2 smashed most of KH1's rules, like Heartless still being present in the world and SDG being able to travel between worlds, both even with the walls in place. The walls were supposed to block both of those things.

Ansem SoD turning out not to have been the ruler of HB who screwed everyone over was partly interesting, partly bizarre. How could the world's leader get thrown out and replaced without people like Cid (who was old enough when RG went under) to know that? And how could a traitor have ruled long enough to do his experiments and destroy the world before the people stopped it really?

Foxycian

Awards
There are no real retcons yet. Most of what you think are retcons were misdirections or subversions but whether or not they were always intentional is up for debate I guess; but if there were some retcons I wouldn't mind if it actually improves the story. I've been following this story since KH1 first came out - that was 18 years ago. Realistically no one can expect a writer to perfectly execute a story across multiple games and consoles over such a long period of time without more than a few failures. It's too huge a task for anyone. Even manga authors fall into this trap over time and at least they have consistency in the medium of what they're writing.

It's somewhat impressive to me that the series has developed as well as it has and kept my interest for so long but the gaps in between the games has really been getting to me lately. And if I feel it I can't imagine how it feels for Nomura. Hopefully he writes more amazing stories for this series but I can't blame him much if the story takes a dip or two here and there.
Well yea I’m aware but the problem is this is one saga, if it was multiple arcs or saga like anime then the author can make up as many Retcons as he wants cause each saga (ark is different) but kingdom hearts soo far had one saga and that’s xehanort saga and they keep changing stuff to suit the narrative or better say to connect it to the next saga, imo they don’t need to try connect everything, they can create new stuff in the xehanort saga and connect it to the new saga (I’m aware they did that already) without rewriting stuff from the old games.

edit: I also agree with you Tartarus, tbh I liked the idea of how simple kh1 story is, Ansem SoD was studying the darkness and that caused him to fall and become corrupted from it, then kh2 came and made us believe he was just an imposter, I won’t deny it didn’t ruin my experience I enjoyed that twist (or better say rewriting that part) but still there are many stuff I wish they would stop changing, I love kingdom hearts the way it is, next thing we know they will tell us both terra and aqua are originally from the age of fairy tails... I hope that doesn’t happen.

OneDandelion

Awards
Well yea I’m aware but the problem is this is one saga, if it was multiple arcs or saga like anime then the author can make up as many Retcons as he wants cause each saga (ark is different) but kingdom hearts soo far had one saga and that’s xehanort saga and they keep changing stuff to suit the narrative or better say to connect it to the next saga, imo they don’t need to try connect everything, they can create new stuff in the xehanort saga and connect it to the new saga (I’m aware they did that already) without rewriting stuff from the old games.
The saga is made up of multiple arcs; and it doesn't matter if retcons occur within a single arc or multiple ones within the same story. They also haven't been "changing stuff" to suit the narrative. Say what you want about Nomura's ability to write a story but the changes that you've mentioned have been the result of either characters deceiving each other or acting without complete knowledge which are both perfectly reasonable literary devices.