• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Resident Evil, has unintelligible plot points now...

• Thread starter Deleted member 32967
  • Start date

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
D

Deleted member 32967

So a few months ago, I finished RE8 (AKA Village) and while I did not one hundred percent hate it, I still think it's a pretty stupid game. Not so much due to the gameplay itself, but the story in general is incredibly lame, and if you played it yourself, perhaps you will agree that there's a lot that does not add up at all.

For years now, I don't think RE as a whole has had an amazing track record with the plot and themes it presents to you, the gamer, and how Capcom has basically muddled up the lore, and stuff. It is rather annoying because the arc just feels quite confusing, I guess you could say. You may start to think that some games don't really feel like they should belong in this particular franchise.

But this game? God strewth. Does it make no sense whatsoever!?

So basically, the game has this silly, chip pan into the fire vibe to it, because the (faceless) hero of RE7 called Ethan Winters has moved across to Europe with Mia and their baby daughter, named Rosemary, after surviving the Baker incident that involved Eveline and her Molded offspring. But the odd thing is, they end being relocated to the actual source of the Molded, so I assume that Chris can get close to the origins of this bioweapons creating thing. So um, what actually happened here? Was Ethan purposefully set up by his buddy?

Even RE7 was quite dumb in terms of it not feeling like a RE game any more, and Chris looked weird, but they had a new, kind of forced-feeling, but still interesting enough story going with this blue Umbrella, and the Connections being the alleged bad guys. But RE8 does not reference this stuff in any real capacity. They bring up the Bakers and how the Molded was overcome, yes. But nothing about blue Umbrella is stated at all, as far as I remember.

Anyway, Chris basically appears early into the game as you are playing the happy family man role, and it's not even explained what the hell is really going on with him and his team, who have seemingly resigned from the BSAA to like, illegally chase after this Miranda tart in Romania. We just see that he [Chris] shoots Ethan's "wife" as he lays on the floor, behaving like a wuss. There's a dumb twist later on by the way, but you have ages to go until it is even confirmed. When it finally is playing out in front of you, it's quite a head scratcher. Chris doesn't even seem like the same man from RE, CVX, RE5, RE6 and whatnot any longer either, which soon becomes apparent as he just says really corny things that feels out of character.

But my Lord. The many bosses you run into!? I swear, each one is ****ing dumb, and it's all made into like 4 to 5 stages where you have to gain a yellow container by killing each boss, which contains a part of your kid, and it's like.... WHAT!? Not to mention, you come across robots, a plump vendor, living dolls, and vampires as well. Like, I am not even kidding here. This has absolutely nothing to do with the legacy of RE in the slightest bit, yet they throw in another twist near the last boss fight, to link it to past RE games. It's so silly, and you can just tell they made this crap up for the sake of carrying on the franchise in a dumb manner.

After they killed off the original Umbrella as RE4 started, you can tell that every subsequent game has had no villains of note, besides maybe Alex Wesker and the Bakers. The rest are just one and done type enemies that no one cares for. You even had that one dude who was infatuated with Ada Wong in RE6, turning into a dinosaur. Like, for real. RE has just gotten to be so cheesy, milked to death, and is utter tripe.

The original RE2 is a classic, and it's the game that made me fall in love with the genre around the year 2000, and this was some 19 years before that worthless remake arrived. The 2002 remake is still the most terrifying one, I'd say, but RE2 is just gold to me personally, and no doubt other fans hold it in high regards too. And RE4 is bizarre and also very overrated, but still vastly fun. And RE8 tried so hard to be like RE4, but it kind of slipped up in some noticeable capacity.

And the timeline in the saga is a mess overall. The new animated Netflix show was just more pedestrian, disposable nonsense. And that RE: Verse DLC looks flipping awful too. So Capcom needs to actually get a grip. The franchise is just making no sense anymore. But knowing Capcom, they will remake RE4 next as that's the game that fanboys generally keep on praising the most.

Before anybody says anything, I know that RE has always meant to be a 'B' movie like saga. But even so. Capcom has been bending their own rules, way too often...

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Now that I've played the game, I feel this is being over dramatic. This series has always had goofy plots & nonsense pesudo-science. It's origins are in cheesy b-movie slock. So the notion that the new absurd fake-science horrors is somehow worse than the old fake-science horrors doesn't gel with me. Is a guy mutating into a zombie dinosaur really anymore weird than a virus that animates corpses but also the same virus for some reason causes animals to grow larger & more violent? How about the dude made of leeches in RE0? The complete BS retcon to make Wesker into the big bad of the franchise instead of dumbass that killed by a tyrant?

Anyway, Chris basically appears early into the game as you are playing the happy family man role, and it's not even explained what the hell is really going on with him and his team, who have seemingly resigned from the BSAA to like, illegally chase after this Miranda tart in Romania. We just see that he [Chris] shoots Ethan's "wife" as he lays on the floor, behaving like a wuss. There's a dumb twist later on by the way, but you have ages to go until it is even confirmed. When it finally is playing out in front of you, it's quite a head scratcher. Chris doesn't even seem like the same man from RE, CVX, RE5, RE6 and whatnot any longer either, which soon becomes apparent as he just says really corny things that feels out of character.
It's a bit forced I'll admit, the series has been teasing Chris vs. Jill/Leon/Ethan/whatever other protag clashes & then never really following them through for a while now. That said, Miranda's too powerful & anything that would tip her off that her cover's blown would've sabotaged the mission. Frankly, it's a bit admirable that Chris even opted for the straight forward quick kill without wasting time monologuing or posturing as is so often the cliche.

But my Lord. The many bosses you run into!? I swear, each one is ****ing dumb, and it's all made into like 4 to 5 stages where you have to gain a yellow container by killing each boss, which contains a part of your kid, and it's like.... WHAT!? Not to mention, you come across robots, a plump vendor, living dolls, and vampires as well. Like, I am not even kidding here. This has absolutely nothing to do with the legacy of RE in the slightest bit, yet they throw in another twist near the last boss fight, to link it to past RE games. It's so silly, and you can just tell they made this crap up for the sake of carrying on the franchise in a dumb manner.

Would you rather they drag the Umbrella plotline for decades past the point of anyone caring anymore instead? Hell they already do that with games like Operation Raccoon City & Umbrella Corps. I like that franchise is willing to move on, that's basically RE4's whole point, shedding the past that's holding the series back.

Also, The dolls were hallucinations, vampires are no worse than zombies, the vendor is intentional weird & ill-explained to give a sense of mystique to his existence, & those aren't robots, they're cyborgs, the regular lycan enemies with some tech upgrades.

shivaa

Awards
Not a huge RE fan but I like some of the opus. This one really hooked me, a good script, Ethan is more captivating, very good antagonists, a lifespan of around 10 hours depending on the difficulty, I really had a great time on it.

Last edited:
Back