• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Resident Evil 2 | January 25th for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
The main game will most likely have a different protagonist. It would be pretty cool if his or her identity remained a secret until the very end of the game and then you found out you'd been playing as Elza Walker!

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
So, then it is not a ghost, in the truest sense of the word. Considering it only showed up on the VHS tape, it is somehow connected to whatever virus this turns out to be. Maybe something that gives off electromagnetic waves that will mess with electric devices.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
The main game will most likely have a different protagonist. It would be pretty cool if his or her identity remained a secret until the very end of the game and then you found out you'd been playing as Elza Walker!

It'll be interesting how they choose to identify the protagonist. I hope they don't stay silent the whole game, Isaac Clark was fine without a voice in Dead Space, but Dead Space 2 giving him a voice was one of the best things from last gen to me. I love those games.

So, then it is not a ghost, in the truest sense of the word. Considering it only showed up on the VHS tape, it is somehow connected to whatever virus this turns out to be. Maybe something that gives off electromagnetic waves that will mess with electric devices.

Maybe it could be some sort of hallucinogenic strain too? Could've made Jack see things that made him go crazy. I'm just so reassured they said what they did.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I was just telling a friend how I really hope our protagonist isn't silent.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
Maybe it could be some sort of hallucinogenic strain too? Could've made Jack see things that made him go crazy. I'm just so reassured they said what they did.

Nothing really screams "drug abuse" from the demo and trailer. I am going with electronic disturbances because the VHS was a design choice for a reason. We associate that with ghosts as well so it is a neat little red herring.

"I shall dash them against the stones" is a reference I am deeply interested in.

"Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks!" Psalm 137:9

I am getting a "parents dislike their child" sort of vibe from this.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Nothing really screams "drug abuse" from the demo and trailer. I am going with electronic disturbances because the VHS was a design choice for a reason. We associate that with ghosts as well so it is a neat little red herring.

"I shall dash them against the stones" is a reference I am deeply interested in.

"Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks!" Psalm 137:9

I am getting a "parents dislike their child" sort of vibe from this.

Whatever they have in store for us, I'm game. Just so glad it's not gonna be your typical ghost story or too much like Silent Hill.

And yeah, that's what the guy in the analysis video I posted thought as well. Not sure how deep that note would be though, or if it really means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
And yeah, that's what the guy in the analysis video I posted thought as well. Not sure how deep that note would be though, or if it really means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Lucas was described as a "bad seed" so maybe he left/ran away from home. Clearly, the house is set up like only two people were regularly living there. If he is going to be the protag with his parents being antag, they have to be at least on unfriendly terms.

Now, there is still the possibility that we are not Lucas. We can still go down "investigator" route. In that case, Lucas would most likely end up being antagonistic, possibly the "big bad". The line "welcome to the family, son" bugs me a bit. Normally, how does an adult join another family? Marriage is the first option in my head. We know "Ghost" Girl is flesh and blood and is somehow connected to the Baker family. The song in the trailer alludes to a woman calling for a man, "the one". So, far reaching theory, that the Baker family wants to breed someone with her. We actually still need a motivation for the Baker family and this sooooort of covers it? As long as every single victim is male, it holds water.

For all we know, there can be two protags. Demo means shit since it isn't involved in the actual game.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
mtEikGX.png

well that was fun

Max

Staff member
Awards
mtEikGX.png

well that was fun

Congrats dude, I don't think I would ever even be interested in going for that (I'd just get way too frustrated). Maybe 5 years ago I might've tried, I've tamed down on the hunt since then.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
It's not that bad outside of the constant reloading you'll have to do to pull this off. There were only about 3 instances where I got pissed off, but it was all of my own making, just bad decisions I made and couldn't go back to fix because I had saved already after making them.

At this point I'm only dreading Leech Hunter; I'm not too keen on it. I'm slightly tempted to beat the game on Easy so I can just do all the Leech Hunter stuff on that save file instead. But I suppose I ought to give it a few shots on Normal before giving up.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
mtEikGX.png

well that was fun

Shit, dude, nice job. I thought about tackling at least one of those trophies before summer ended but didn't have the time. I did all the leech hunter ones though and basically got every other trophy beside those, so good enough for me haha. Funny enough, REmake and RE0 both ended up getting the same percentage on my trophy card haha, kind of a funny coincidence. I guess I'll just live with RE6 being my only platinum in the series, and honestly I enjoyed that game the most aside from the two in the origins collection.

Meanwhile I just bought RE4 for the fourth time on PS4, just finished it last night. And damn have the controls aged terribly, I barely made it through without ripping my hair out. They were pretty solid on the Wii version though I remember. Oh well. Just waiting on RE7 and Vendetta now.

Max

Staff member
Awards
RE4 is still fucking solid on Wii. I was looking forward to playing it on PS4, but I wish it was move compatible.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Yeah I was flipping my shit on trying to get all the bottle caps from the shooting range. Took me hours to get the last set, that crap is annoying without the motion controller to aim. I started Separate Ways and sped ran through the first three chapters but I kept dying on four so I've had enough haha. Screw professional mode too. I got BioShock to look forward to this week anyway, this was just something to keep me busy and on a horror vibe.

Also it's pretty garbage they didn't make a new trophy list for the re-release of RE4, or even give it a platinum. Really disappointed about that but oh well.

Last edited:

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
RE4 is still diddlying solid on Wii. I was looking forward to playing it on PS4, but I wish it was move compatible.

It's only solid if you play and NTSC copy in 4:3 fullscreen. The PAL copies have frameskip issues that ruin the PAL60 mode and the 50 Hz mode is obviously not worth. All copies use "pan and scan" to create its widescreen mode, meaning you see less of the game and it's blurrier. Also, the Wii controls kinda break the game :p

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
It's only solid if you play and NTSC copy in 4:3 fullscreen. The PAL copies have frameskip issues that ruin the PAL60 mode and the 50 Hz mode is obviously not worth. All copies use "pan and scan" to create its widescreen mode, meaning you see less of the game and it's blurrier. Also, the Wii controls kinda break the game :p

Well the PAL copies also had an easy mode, so there's that haha. But that's how the cutscenes in Separate Ways looked in the PS4/Xbone port; absolute shit, took me back to a decade ago. Almost forgot how unclear graphics used to look.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Those cutscenes look the same in every version since they're sourced from the PS2 version, where they first featured. That port featured several downgrades from the GameCube version, most notably the lightning and lack of detail in certain textures but also having every single cutscene turned into a pre-recorded video as opposed to rendered in real-time. If this had originally been a PS2 game, I'm sure they could have made them work in real-time but for a port that was probably just too much work so they took a shortcut. The problem is they've since lost the original assets, so they cannot re-render those scenes in HD. In other words, we're forever stuck with compressed video files during cutscenes for Separate Ways. Unless Capcom decides to remake the entire game, that is.

The PS4 port is by far the definitive console version, but the best version out there is the Ultimate HD Edition for PC (especially if you apply the mindblowingly good RE4HD mod).

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Those cutscenes look the same in every version since they're sourced from the PS2 version, where they first featured. That port featured several downgrades from the GameCube version, most notably the lightning and lack of detail in certain textures but also having every single cutscene turned into a pre-recorded video as opposed to rendered in real-time. If this had originally been a PS2 game, I'm sure they could have made them work in real-time but for a port that was probably just too much work so they took a shortcut. The problem is they've since lost the original assets, so they cannot re-render those scenes in HD. In other words, we're forever stuck with compressed video files during cutscenes for Separate Ways. Unless Capcom decides to remake the entire game, that is.

The PS4 port is by far the definitive console version, but the best version out there is the Ultimate HD Edition for PC (especially if you apply the mindblowingly good RE4HD mod).

It's just a shame they seemingly gave no fucks on porting this to current consoles (I'm sure it's probably the most ported game yet besides Tetris lol), yet it's very clear they actually put in effort for the Origins Collection, what with updating the entire control scheme and adding in new modes and costumes in RE0. The cutscenes in the main game were cleaned up though, and losing the code for Separate Ways but not the main game? So I just find it odd.

And yes, that graphics mod for PC looks absolutely gorgeous. Shame they didn't use that as a base for this latest port ha.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
It's not odd when you think about it. Separate Ways was originally intended to be a PS2 exclusive so they stored the assets unique to that port separately. It's funny because if you dig in to the game code of the Chronicles collection for PS3, you will find copyright information from the Wii versions. And of course, just like Square they lost the high-res pre-rendered backgrounds from the PS1 era.

I think what's the most shameful about Origins is that they clearly put a lot more effort into RE0, which is by far the better looking game in the package despite being from around the same time. Not that they did a bad job with RE1, but it seems they were unsure on whether it would sell well or not so they didn't go all out. I wish it had been the other way around. RE0 doesn't deserve to look that much more polished than RE1.

RE4-6 on current consoles were made by Capcom USA, just like Mega Man Legacy Collection, no? I mean, that would explain why they've only been released physically in the US and Hong Kong. They are all the same as the PS3 versions with boosted performance. RE4 has a few minor tweaks (aiming with the right analogue stick being the most important one), but other than that they all have the same trophy lists and everything.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
It's not odd when you think about it. Separate Ways was originally intended to be a PS2 exclusive so they stored the assets unique to that port separately. It's funny because if you dig in to the game code of the Chronicles collection for PS3, you will find copyright information from the Wii versions. And of course, just like Square they lost the high-res pre-rendered backgrounds from the PS1 era.

Oh, you're right. That does totally make sense now. Shame they couldn't have done more, but I guess it wasn't worth the effort to them.

I think what's the most shameful about Origins is that they clearly put a lot more effort into RE0, which is by far the better looking game in the package despite being from around the same time. Not that they did a bad job with RE1, but it seems they were unsure on whether it would sell well or not so they didn't go all out. I wish it had been the other way around. RE0 doesn't deserve to look that much more polished than RE1.

Yeah I did notice that too while playing.

RE4-6 on current consoles were made by Capcom USA, just like Mega Man Legacy Collection, no? I mean, that would explain why they've only been released physically in the US and Hong Kong. They are all the same as the PS3 versions with boosted performance. RE4 has a few minor tweaks (aiming with the right analogue stick being the most important one), but other than that they all have the same trophy lists and everything.

That seems plausible, couldn't imagine Capcom Japan dealing with the remasters while working on REmake 2 and RE7. They weren't released physically in PAL regions? That's kinda odd, considering they emphasized the fact they made the Origins Collection to give it a physical release.

[video=youtube;RRLQtgdG8Zs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRLQtgdG8Zs[/video]

This seems like a solid video to me comparing the graphics throughout RE4's life

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Meanwhile I just bought RE4 for the fourth time on PS4, just finished it last night. And damn have the controls aged terribly, I barely made it through without ripping my hair out. They were pretty solid on the Wii version though I remember.

The only thing that took some getting use to for me is aiming with the left analog stick. It feels weird af because no other game does this. But eventually I got used to it since you always have to stop to aim and shoot anyway.

Also it's pretty garbage they didn't make a new trophy list for the re-release of RE4, or even give it a platinum. Really disappointed about that but oh well.

Why should they? It's a decent list all things considered. At best they could've added a few ones like shooting all the blue medallions, beating Separate Ways (which is already a requirement for getting all the costumes), some Mercenaries stuff, and maybe doing a no heal/no damage run ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Not enough to add to make the list big enough for a plat. It's better this way anyway because the only other option would be adding those filler trophies like suplex 20 parasite worshipping butthols or get eaten by Del Lago... oh wait, that is a trophy.

Back