• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

religious or not

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Religious or not?

• Religious

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • atheist/agnostic

Votes: 30 51.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

angelbabe74006

I'd say I'm religious; I'm a Christian.
I do respect other religions and people who aren't religious, though. I speak my beliefs sometimes, but I don't try and force others to share these beliefs. People can believe whatever they want, and nothing anyone says can change that. When it comes to things like religion it's a good idea to live and let live.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
Aetheus said:
By the time she did, I was already sick of religion and all the strings attached to it. It only ever complicates matters, in my case. Heck, I knew a fellow when I was a kid who told me I'd "burn in the fiery pit of hell" if I din't believe in God - and he was seven years old! Seven years old!

The more I read about reasons why people aren't religious, the more I'm convinced that bigots are ruining Christianity for the rest of us. Spirituality is a personal thing, in my opinion, and not something to be forced on people. What's worse is when people think all Christians are like that. >>;

The entire point is to be Christ-like, to love your neighbor as yourself, not to be a pretentious ass.

But still, people have different interpretations of the Bible, it's a huge field of study and I guess we have to accept that, or we'd all be hypocrites.
I digress.

Trag

Bronze Member
I went to confession. I told the priest all my sins, and that I masturbated, and I cried in the box thing. I still felt guilty and hated every second of being in the box thing, and I did not feel as if the god i believed in had forgiven me. Then my friend told me he was an atheist, and I asked him what it was and it seemed to make much more sense to me than the Catholic-Christian lifestyle I had my entire life. I was pissed that I was sheltered from such a style and immediately gave up my faith in God. Every time someone says that it was someones time to die I myself feel me dying inside. My cousin had a little 5 year old cousin, her name was Sapphire. Her and her grandmother drowned trying to make it to her car. The little girls grandmother died trying to save her. This was a total mindfuck to me. How could such tragedies be happening in the real world. I saw this little girl not half a year ago standing in my camp's kitchen, I played legoes with her. I spoke with her grandmother. I couldn't see how people would put their faith in God, he couldn't even manage to save a little girl. I've witnessed the death of my grandmother and grandfather, both times my dad cried like a little kid. It's truly heartbreaking. How holy his this God that he could put someone through that. I see that as an act of something terrible. Maybe i'm not making sense, but I've put up with so much more death in my families than this and all this other bullshit that's gone on in my life that I have a hard time believing that there's a God looking out for me up there, or even a God period.
I know I rambled that time. Also, another big reason that I stopped believing was the fact that I grew up in a catholic extremist environment. I was always bored with religion and it all felt like a chore, and that's a big reason; I never felt like I had a spiritual connection with anything. I had more of a sleeping connection, church was boring as shit.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
I have never been to confession but would like to go.

It's nothing big. You tell the priest you lie, he tells you to say 5 Hail Marys, you say them, and that's it.

angelbabe74006

My religious practice is praying by myself and living with my faith. It's a really simple thing, for me. I prefer worshipping alone, because for me it makes my relationship wtih God more interpersonal. It's not something I'm crazy about sharing with other people.

Trag

Bronze Member
Nope. You tell the guy your sins, you both say a prayer and then you leave. It's nothing special at all.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
While you may see it as a moving experience, the event itself is nothing more than what I described. The priest asks you to tell him your sins, you tell him your sins, he tells you how many prayers you must utter and that's it. If you're moved by the probably bored tone of voice on the other end, then yes, it's moving. But it's a bit tedious for both of you unless you're confessing you killed someone and ate their liver.

C

Colours

Not all religions allow or have repents.
I believe it was budissim.
Phenoix, correct me, if I'm wrong.
My religious practice is praying by myself and living with my faith. It's a really simple thing, for me. I prefer worshipping alone, because for me it makes my relationship wtih God more interpersonal. It's not something I'm crazy about sharing with other people.

Then I would believe that, that is christianity then.
I don't think that you have to pray among other ppl to just get intouch with the Lord.
You can pray by yourself, if all means.

frisson

Silver Member
Poll needs more options.

I'm not religious, but that doesn't mean I do not believe in anything.

Dant?s de Divinity

Bronze Member
On a hill in a white dress waiting for my dearest
I can be called religious. I guess I'm Catholic but I read othe holy books and practice their beliefs too. They hold endless wisdom and tell of how to overcome suffering. I believe in God (First Father) but don't let my belief in him or fear of him dictate my actions or personal beliefs. The free will and thinking of an atheist but the belief of a faithful. Science is my tool and God is my light.

Andillexe

I was raised Catholic, and I still practice it, but I don't really believe in God. I don't get how something so powerful and so holy and magnificent and blah blah blah could be out there and expect us to believe in him when there's so much bad shit in this world. It just doesn't make sense to me. I think that there might be something out there, but I don't see the point in worshipping something I can't see or feel that makes me feel small and insignificant. To me, personally, it's a waste of time, but that's just my opinion.

Also, when I went to Steubenville with my youth group, I tried to believe in him and be all faitful and stuff, but I just started crying and felt like crap instead of uplifted and stuff, which I thought I should feel like. So, that was kind of the push that had me independant of faith.

very differentiable
Awards
It surprised me that the thread still goes on, i might have been gone for a few days but i always get back.

D

Deleted member 70496

I think I believed in God when I was a little kid, but it was about the same thing as Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny to me... eventually my belief just went away I guess.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
Some would say I'm atheist, and believe it or not, I could convincingly seem Christian.

However I am not an agnostic.

I have no affiliation, because I simply do not care. :3

Dant?s de Divinity

Bronze Member
On a hill in a white dress waiting for my dearest
A mistake that stupid people often make is that you can't believe in evolution or be scientific if you are religious. I can't tell you how many times that has be brought up in discussion. I seriously don't see how the two are connected at all.

Most atheists I know who I'm friends with have told me that they stopped believing in God after they looked into the theory of evolution. I mean I believe in evolution, abortion, gay rights/marriage, and stem cell research and I believe in God. Faithful aren't just a bunch of idiots who just believe in some mythical sky fairy. Some great inventors and scientists in history were faithful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back