• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Relationships

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Mirashade

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show
What's funny about this is we had the reverse happen near the end of KH1 where Kairi had no interest in helping Sora rescue Riku.

.:Mega:.

Awards
I mean, personally, I doubt the intent was that Kairi didn't care about Riku. My guess is that she was just of the opinion that Riku was strong.

I can see how it came across that way? I just doubt that's what they were going for.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
If Nomura was really worried about how it depicts their feelings (like he doesn't understand the material he himself writes) then why didn't he just include Riku in the moment. TAV has their Wayfinders, RAX as their ice cream, paopu should be the DI trio's symbol. Nothing about the scene has to change other than Sora and Kairi calling him over to be with them, and it would have made everything about the scene 1000000000x better because they could have positioned all three of them in front of the paopu tree exactly like they were in KH1 before beginning their first journey. So it doubles as a bookend and a new start.

Nope, can't be done. Nomura just doesn't get it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
If Nomura was really worried about how it depicts their feelings (like he doesn't understand the material he himself writes) then why didn't he just include Riku in the moment. TAV has their Wayfinders, RAX as their ice cream, paopu should be the DI trio's symbol. Nothing about the scene has to change other than Sora and Kairi calling him over to be with them, and it would have made everything about the scene 1000000000x better because they could have positioned all three of them in front of the paopu tree exactly like they were in KH1 before beginning their first journey. So it doubles as a bookend and a new start.

Nope, can't be done. Nomura just doesn't get it.

He’s too in love with the visuals he has in his mind for these moments. I think he genuinely just wanted to get those moments out of the way and to leave no question to the fact that they fulfilled what was set up in the past. By inserting Riku there, it would still leave many wondering “well when are Sora and Kairi going to have THEIR moment?”

And I think KH3 was that. That was their moment, and now Nomura can actually build the story he wants to make now.

I don’t agree with the idea of it. I have the same opinion as you on this, but Nomura is a man who loves his visuals.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
He’s too in love with the visuals he has in his mind for these moments. I think he genuinely just wanted to get those moments out of the way and to leave no question to the fact that they fulfilled what was set up in the past. By inserting Riku there, it would still leave many wondering “well when are Sora and Kairi going to have THEIR moment?”

And I think KH3 was that. That was their moment, and now Nomura can actually build the story he wants to make now.

I don’t agree with the idea of it. I have the same opinion as you on this, but Nomura is a man who loves his visuals.
The visuals could have communicated everything just fine. He already has the two shots of the drawing with Kairi and Sora, all he had to do was to add a third with Riku, and then finish the scene on a shot of the completed cave wall as a revelation that it had been revised to include Riku, completing the trio motif. It would have only strengthened the message by adding depth and meaning to an existing symbol, while also fulfilling its original intent, and prefacing the lead-up to the battle on a moment that resonates through to one of the very first and most iconic images in the series.

Again, I'm saying this because of the assertion that Nomura worried about the moment coming across as romantic. I think we all assumed that was at least partially his intent, but if it's true that he had not only not considered it, but actively wanted it not to read that way-- I mean he's actually worse at this than I thought, lol.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
What's funny about this is we had the reverse happen near the end of KH1 where Kairi had no interest in helping Sora rescue Riku.

Um... I feel like you played a different version of KH1 then me. Yes, she had a moment where she questioned, if it could ever be the same between them, noting how he's lost his heart/self, but she was also quick to say "Let's go" implying she wanted to join Sora on the last bit of the journey to get Riku back. Whenever you talk to her afterwards she notes that Riku is strong in a text dialog, I read it as her encouraging Sora not to lose faith in saving Riku.

When she was sent back to the Island, Sora had already made it clear he though her tagging a long would be too dangerous and that she'd just get in the way.

Again, I'm saying this because of the assertion that Nomura worried about the moment coming across as romantic. I think we all assumed that was at least partially his intent, but if it's true that he had not only not considered it, but actively wanted it not to read that way-- I mean he's actually worse at this than I thought, lol.

Yeah this really surprised me to hear, because so much of that shot was framed in a way lots of western stuff does to frame moments as romantic.
This also makes me wonder about the scene with them flying in that space and the end where they are holding hands before Sora fades away, in most western shows and products those scenes coding would be seen as romantic but, if Nomura actively didn't want to frame the Papou fruit scene that way, than those farmings might have been accidental.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Sora's first mistake in the series was turning down Namine for Kairi in KH ReCom

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I mean, personally, I doubt the intent was that Kairi didn't care about Riku. My guess is that she was just of the opinion that Riku was strong.

I can see how it came across that way? I just doubt that's what they were going for.
lol It wasn't, but I always felt like Kairi should have fought Sora more if she really wanted to help.

I think sora's jp VA officially dismissed sokai
https://twitter.com/jugglepup/status/1101695963822022657
*points to nearly every scene involving Sora and Kairi being romantic*

Nomura being worried it'd be seen as romantic is hard to believe considering all their scenes before and after. XD

Um... I feel like you played a different version of KH1 then me. Yes, she had a moment where she questioned, if it could ever be the same between them, noting how he's lost his heart/self, but she was also quick to say "Let's go" implying she wanted to join Sora on the last bit of the journey to get Riku back. Whenever you talk to her afterwards she notes that Riku is strong in a text dialog, I read it as her encouraging Sora not to lose faith in saving Riku.

When she was sent back to the Island, Sora had already made it clear he though her tagging a long would be too dangerous and that she'd just get in the way.
Oh I know, it was more a joke than anything.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I just don't think Nomura wants to commit to romance. Not because he thinks it's a bad idea but rather he does want to say they are a couple and then change his mind 4 months later.

LostArtist

Awards
*points to nearly every scene involving Sora and Kairi being romantic*

Nomura being worried it'd be seen as romantic is hard to believe considering all their scenes before and after. XD

honestly I don't know about overall xD, but I think that paopu scene in particular wasn't meant to be romantic.

Veevee

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

This was so weird. Also, when she was
Spoiler Spoiler Show
,he didn't show much emotion. If Nomura wasn't trying so hard to hammer this trio thing into our heads, I wouldn't even believe they actually liked each other.

Back