• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Reiligious Confession.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MosesMohs

So since the late of last year, I have converted to Atheism. It has been in secret, since my family is Christian. They believe God is the only way. They are somewhat narrow-minded. I asked my mom jokingly one day what she would say if I said I was Agnostic. She said I would be kicked out.

Lately, I've been talking about religion more often. Religion is very interesting to me, even though I don't believe in it. I've let it slip from time to time that I'm atheist. I kind of want them to know, but I'm so scared of the aftermath of telling them.

I don't know what to do. I love my family (at times) & it's like I'm hiding half of myself from them. That kills me inside. What should I do ?

Helion

Website
thefaintsmile.deviantart.com
When I converted from catholicism to neo-paganism(I wouldn't even call it that since I take beliefs from all religions) my freshman year in high school, I didn't tell anyone about it in my family. I was afraid to tell them because I didn't know how they would react. Turns out in the end, none of them gave a damn lol. My family is really a mixed bag when it comes to morals, religion and beliefs. However, I have never said a word outside of my immediate family. Since both sides of my family have issues towards each other and they all have their own problems, I don't see the point of randomly telling it to a stranger I've never met or will ever see again.

If your mom kicks you out, then seriously, she is not your mom at all. In fact, if they seriously would do that, it's time to move out or get a new family. If you're afraid to tell them, you might have to "hide" it a couple more years until you're out on your own(college, etc.). Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to tell you. My family isn't very religious at all so I had no problems with telling them over time. I can see you are in a completely different situation. Do you have any friends who are atheist/agnostic? If you do, I would definitely talk to one of them about it and ask for more advice.

But are you atheist or agnostic? Agnostic means you don't worship a deity but you don't deny the existence of one either. Atheist is someone who completely denies the existence of any deity.

M

Miss Murder

Wait until you can completely support yourself or have somewhere else to go, then tell them and see what happens.

=/

I really have no better advice, unfortunately. Sorry.

Sephiros_TH

Atheism is a hard thing to be, you must be completely devoid of any belief in religion god, and even most evidence for a god...such as unexplainable phenomenon and often laws of nature. I'm not saying atheism is bad or anything its just its hard to be atheistic because that means life in essence has no value as you have no value...on the other hand there are agnostics who say god or gods might exist...deists who believe that god or gods don't interact with the universe just created it, and then there are pagans. Now pagans doesn't necessarily mean that you worship many gods or sacrifice animals in the name of deity, no paganism is the worship of natures power in any manifestation. that could be that mother earth is the only power and humans are simply another animal living within her dominion, or you could worship the many gods of Norse, Slavic, Greek, Egyptian, Mesopotamian, or any other sect of gods or even a conglomeration of multiple religions. the idea behind religion is not to fear a deity or deities it is to find comfort and safety in the belief that they are powers greater then yourself and that they may be there to help you...I know a lot of information its just that every atheist that I have met isn't really atheistic just fed up with the Abrahamic religions that infest the world.

MosesMohs

Atheism is a hard thing to be, you must be completely devoid of any belief in religion god, and even most evidence for a god...such as unexplainable phenomenon and often laws of nature. I'm not saying atheism is bad or anything its just its hard to be atheistic because that means life in essence has no value as you have no value...on the other hand there are agnostics who say god or gods might exist...deists who believe that god or gods don't interact with the universe just created it, and then there are pagans. Now pagans doesn't necessarily mean that you worship many gods or sacrifice animals in the name of deity, no paganism is the worship of natures power in any manifestation. that could be that mother earth is the only power and humans are simply another animal living within her dominion, or you could worship the many gods of Norse, Slavic, Greek, Egyptian, Mesopotamian, or any other sect of gods or even a conglomeration of multiple religions. the idea behind religion is not to fear a deity or deities it is to find comfort and safety in the belief that they are powers greater then yourself and that they may be there to help you...I know a lot of information its just that every atheist that I have met isn't really atheistic just fed up with the Abrahamic religions that infest the world.

I'm not in question about my religion. I'm in question of should I tell my family.

gottaluvkh1992

Koudelka's Servant
i have grown up in an athiest family and i myself am athiest and there is no way i will turn to believe in God, but recently i became athiest/wiccan, i am wiccan in the whole spells and rituals but not the God parts. I havent told my family cuz they will think im a freak, firsty i tell them im bisexual then that im partly wiccan.

But i say tell them, and if they throw you out it shows how much they love you dont it, that they wont let you be yourself.

Fatal_Blade

がんばってね
This is hard, I'v grown up in a Christian family and I'm Christian. I would say wait until a good time, like when everything would be moving smoothy. Or when you are mad at your family...

Sephiros_TH

Thats all up to you, only you can know how they will react...I wouldn't worry though if they really are parent worth while, not saying anything, then they'll understand. Besides like 20% of the USA is atheist, hell my home nation the Czech Republic is like 70% atheist don't worry about it.

[√]Genuflect
Tell them the truth then, look at their reaction.

After that, tell them your joking. XDD

Anyways, What made you convert into an atheist?

MosesMohs

Tell them the truth then, look at their reaction.

After that, tell them your joking. XDD

Anyways, What made you convert into an atheist?

I've always been on the fence about God. When I got into the 9th grade, I met two guys. One who was atheist, and another who was agnostic. We talked about religion a lot and one day I told them that they had me convinced. There was no God. And ever since then I've been atheist.

T

The Marauder

First off let's have a few things cleared up.

Athiests - "There is no god. All logic points to the fact that we were not created by a big man in the sky."

Agnostics - "There could be a god, but there's no real proof either way in my opinion."

Now to your question. I would simply tell them. There's nothing worse than waking up every day having to live with a secret that there's no shame in. Tell them that you don't believe in a big invisible man who created the earth in 6 days. Tell them that you want to live your life the way you want without having to credit an imaginary man for all of your successes. Most importantly be sure to tell them that they can think what they want, but that they will not change what YOU think.

On a side note, I am very disappointed by several of the responses in this thread. Statements along the lines of "Just love god!" and "The life of an atheist is a life with no purpose!" are not only tasteless and rude, but are very much supportive of the stereotypical Christian extremist. People are free to choose their paths in life, and it is quite clear that she does not want anything to do with the Christian church or a god of any kind. Shame on you for your bigotry!

Last edited:

AkuRoku_Lover

in my opinion, it's alright if you switched your religion. It's your own choice and your own destiny, and no one, even your family can hinder you because it really is up to you! But honestly I don't believe that there's no god, but heck we're not talking about that right now. When you can support yourself, maybe you can start confessing to your family and explain them your choice and seek their understanding. Anyway, they're your family.

Trag

Bronze Member
I, though only 14, know exactly where your coming from. A few years ago I was hit hard with some harsh realities, I think around the age of 8, and I started questioning my belief in God. Being from an extreme-catholic family, I was not brought up in an open-minded environment. My cousin being a minister-in-training, and my uncle a Priest, I really never thought about mustering up enough confidence to tell them my disbelief. Eventually, it became so stressful to me, I assumed there was no God, because I couldn't discuss it with anyone (I come from a Christian community). But then, last year, I found out that my brother was agnostic, and it probably saved me. I told my parents, and my family that I didn't believe that there was a God, and faced what they had to say. But enough with my life story, here's my point: when it comes down to it, you've got to face your beliefs, no matter what could happen, because you'll be living your life as, well, a lie, for a lack of a better term. Tell your parents, but back up your beliefs with reason and logic, or else, you'll come off as an angst-ridden teenage cliche (not saying that you are).

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Her mum was joking, she's not really going to kick her out >.>

Just tell them, I'm sure nothing bad'll happen.

I wouldn't be so sure, I've seen this happen to friends.

Some people just take things way too seriously.

So, I'm sorry to say MosesMohs, don't say anything until you have somewhere [reliable] to fall back to.

one wing angel

that reminds me of the time my parents found out that i didn't believe in god anymore they flipped out and started yelling at me and forcing their religion down my throat. which of course i refused. then they said whether or not i believed it didn't matter as long as i lived under their roof i was gonna go to church so im thinking time to move out ya know?

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
So since the late of last year, I have converted to Atheism. It has been in secret, since my family is Christian. They believe God is the only way. They are somewhat narrow-minded. I asked my mom jokingly one day what she would say if I said I was Agnostic. She said I would be kicked out.

Lately, I've been talking about religion more often. Religion is very interesting to me, even though I don't believe in it. I've let it slip from time to time that I'm atheist. I kind of want them to know, but I'm so scared of the aftermath of telling them.

I don't know what to do. I love my family (at times) & it's like I'm hiding half of myself from them. That kills me inside. What should I do ?

I remember you professing to be a Christian when you first joined.
Guess you weren't.

I suggest either not letting your family know, or telling them and risking their reaction. Your choice.

Your parents SHOULDN'T mistreat you, regardless of your belief, and still love and pray for you anyway. They will probably freak out though, considering the last thing a Christian parent wants to know is that they're child doesn't believe in God.

Make sure you can support yourself and have somewhere to live, if you think your parents will kick you out, before you tell them, though.

I've always been on the fence about God. When I got into the 9th grade, I met two guys. One who was atheist, and another who was agnostic. We talked about religion a lot and one day I told them that they had me convinced. There was no God. And ever since then I've been atheist.

If high school boys convinced you there wasn't a God, then you never truly had a peace about believing God in the first place.

People shouldn't "convince" you into believing in God.
People shouldn't "convince" you into NOT believing in God.

God isn't a conditional statement that is true/or not true depending on who you're arguing with and has the stamina to argue back. The fact of God being true or not could be argued for AGES and see no rest.

It's always sorry to see people who lose their belief in their religion simply because they realize life is tough sht.

If He's real, he's an invisible deity. Oblivious high school boys can't prove to you that he doesn't exist.

Most importantly be sure to tell them that they can think what they want, but that they will not change what YOU think.

At this point I wouldn't make a drastic statement such as that.
Obviously two random high school boys convinced her out of her religion, who knows if other people could convince her into/out of others.

Last edited:

afrobutt

Silver Member
Hmmm... tricky. One one hand, your parents can't be that heartless (lol, KH). I doubt they would kick you out, just get really pissy and give you like 5'000 letures about why they disapprove of your actions.

On the other hand if they're really extreme about their religion, which I'm guessing they are, and you live in a small community there may be problems. They may feel embarrassed if other ppl found out (and if you have told ppl and live in a small community, u're prolly already screwed XD) and lose sight of their good judgement.

And btw, if a two high school kids convinced you to dump your religion, that tells me that you basically didn't know what to believe about your current religion and flopped over to the first one you found. My advise is to chill on the whole atheist thing till you're sure that u're not just looking for something else besides your old religion to believe in. Ppl do that stuff all the time, and usually give it up in a month or two.

If anyone cares, I think I'm agnostic (don't rlly like labeling my beliefs >.<)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back