• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Reflections of the Soul [Concept Draft V.2]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malus

The following concept draft is actually the second of its kind. After realizing that the events of the first variation wouldn't be possible to fit into mainstream mythos, I changed parts around so that it could properly serve as an original side-story. If anyone is interested in seeing how this was originally written, please don't hestitate to ask and I'll post that as well. Also, this is NOT a story; it is simply the compiled ideas of an ambitious and unfinished project.

-------

KINGDOM HEARTS: REFLECTIONS OF THE SOUL
((Set after Kingdom Hearts Final Mix but before ReChain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+))

Our story begins in Fate City, a society that vaguely resembles post-Final Fantasy VII’s Midgar. Here enters Malus, the neighborhood mischief maker. Today is Malus’ fifteenth birthday, and it’s promised to be one he’ll always remember. As Malus and his friends Zidane, Laguna and Dagger enjoy a night on the town, a lone member from Organization XIII infiltrates the city, disguised in trademark black robes. “I can’t remember the last time we were together like this.” Malus tells his friends with an odd frown on his face. Laguna decides to ignore Malus and change the subject, commenting on how many stars seem to be missing from the night sky. Shortly afterward a freak rainstorm hits the city, forcing the kids to abandon the festivities and return home.

After Malus bids his friends farewell and thanks for the wonderful evening, he races back towards his home in the city slums. It is here that he literally runs into a member of Organization XIII after rounding a corner. Malus stands, apologizing to the person as he dusts himself off. His words falter as he looks up into the person’s hood, not being able to distinguish a face amidst the darkness. After a long silence, a police officer shows up at the scene to investigate the disturbance. Malus makes his escape while Unknown continues to stand there silently. Smart into thinking that something is amiss; the officer exits his vehicle and makes to question the Unknown.

A wicked looking sword with glowing red symbols flowing across the blade flashes into the Unknown’s hand. Gunshots ring out, masked by thunder, but it is the cop that lies defeated, trying to crawl towards his discarded firearm. The Unknown approaches and steal the officer’s heart and it is with this sacrifice that Fate City’s keyhole is unlocked. His mission accomplished the Unknown fades away.

Malus arrives home to a surprise party thrown by his parents. Bestowed upon him is an unusual gift; a gold & silver wristband that has the symbol of Kingdom Hearts etched into the metal. Malus falls happily asleep in his bed afterward, his present latched securely onto his right wrist. He dreams of Organization XIII holding a meeting in the area of Hallow Bastion where Sora battled the Black Dragon and whose ten present members are in the middle of discussion their plans that will soon come to fruition. The members also welcome Nexrum - the Unknown who’d infiltrated Fate City. When Nexrum mentions his encounter with Malus, Xemnas’ detached voice asks the gathered “So, you’ve found one of the lost two?”

…Malus is jostled out of the dream by his mother shaking him awake at the break of dawn, looking and sounding frantic. The storm had stopped and the sun was breaking through the clouds over the horizon. Screams, gunfire, explosions and a continuous klaxon could be heard outside in the distance. Confused but not wanting to argue, Malus dresses quickly and joins his parents in the living room, who are watching a report on the television about the appearance of Heartless invading the city. Military forces and law enforcement are putting up a strong resistance but are quickly failing as the Heartless adapt their powers.

Malus can't help but worry about his friends as he watches the carnage on TV, trying to ignore the fact that the sounds of fighting have been getting closer to his neighborhood with each passing minute. A mighty roar shakes the foundations of the building and draws the attention of Malus and his parents to the window and there, outside looking back at them, are the eyes of a massive Darkside Heartless, who smashes its fist into the apartment to grab hold of Malus’ mother and father. Malus’ mother yells for him to save himself, not wanting her son to suffer the same fate she and her husband are dealt with moments later when the Darkside literally turns them into shadows of their former selves.

As Malus tears out of his apartment at top speed hoping to escape to the streets below, the concussion of a missile impact rockets Malus out the nearest window, sending him falling several stories into a river that runs behind their housing development…

…Our new hero comes too hours later, finding himself upon the outskirts outside of Traverse Town with no recollection of how he got there. While unarmed, he is not alone. The town’s residents have gathered around him, having setup a makeshift encampment along the main road leading into town. It seems that Malus’ appearance has coincided with the unlocking of the world’s keyhole. Cid, Aeris, Merlin and an injured Yuffie keep watch over the villagers as they witness Traverse Town burn from a distance.

After some initial exploring and conversation with the grim townsfolk, it reaches Malus’ ears that Cloud & Leon are inside trying to contain the situation. Malus begs to be allowed to help. Merlin, sensing that the boy’s valor & courage were just, bestows upon him the Hero’s Blade and a few healing items that would surely soon come in handy.

Pushing open the large doors into the residential district, Malus is greeted with the sight of a Leon in the middle of fending off an endless horde of Neo Shadow, who becomes aware of his presence as soon as the doors close. Immediately a large portion of the Heartless force detaches itself from the sortie to focus their attention on Malus, desperate to claim his heart. Driven by the simple desire to stay alive, Malus manages to fend off the seemingly endless waves of Neo Shadow attacks for several minutes until Leon can help successfully vanquish them.

During the following respite Leon informs Malus that Cloud was in possible need of aid, and they were to split up and search the other districts while at the same time clearing out the remainder of any Heartless still present. Malus eventually encounters the "would-be ex-SOLDIER" finishing off his share of Heartless in the shambled Third District. At first things seem under control, but the appearance of a large and equally menacing armored Nobody resembling Bahamut Sin only makes to complicate matters further as it rampages around the area where Merlin’s house once nestled. Despite their efforts to stop the Nobody, “Sundered Heart” tosses Cloud and Leon aside like rag dolls and makes straight for the newcomer Malus. The monster throws a powerful attack at Malus, but it is miraculously deflected as, with a flash of light in which time appears to slow to a crawl, the Fenrir Keyblade mysteriously materializes into the boy’s grasp at the last possible second in place of the Hero’s Blade. Caught completely off-guard, the Nobody roars in pain and staggers backward as the light momentarily blinds it.

Leon, quick to recognize this youth as one of the Chosen, urges Malus to join the battle. Malus nods to Leon and together with Cloud the three make short work of Sundered Heart.

The author has found trouble in trying to describe some of the following events in accurate detail, so the following is a brief scene written in script-fic format to give the readers a better idea of what happened next:

[In-game action dissolves into a post-battle cutscene: Sundered Heart writhes and screams as purple flames engulf it. With a death rattle, Sundered Heart reaches a claw to the sky before collapsing into a smoldering heap. Cut to Cloud, Leon and Malus, who let out sighs of relief and lower their weapons.]

[Cloud lets out a ‘tch’ and makes for the exit while Leon ruffles Malus’ hair in a distinctly older-brother fashion. Malus smirks a bit, sweeping back his hair to try and look more impressive.]

[Cut back to Sundered Heart. Dissolve to a close up of the outstretched hand as the fingers twitch then slowly curl inward. Cloud turns around to tell the other two to get the lead out, but as he turns to look at the camera he only has time to widen his eyes and open his mouth in surprise. The audience catches a glimpse of a giant fist soaring at the camera before the scene goes black upon impact. BAM! Leon is hurled bodily Cloud.]

[The camera and focuses on the Fenrir as it shoots up into the air, spinning end-over-end like a prop. With a mixture klang-thud, the ragged Keyblade embeds itself into the cobble point down. Panning to the right and upward a bit, the still burning Nobody lets out a mighty roar. It flexes dramatically and the armor covering its body shatters, left to burn into nothingness in mid-air so it may stand towering over the group in its true form.]

[Focus falls back on Malus. He groans, getting to his knees and rubbing his head. He shakes it twice then looks over his shoulder at his friends, then at the incoming Nobody. Grimacing, he leaps to his feet and starts sprinting towards his weapon.]

[The action is slowed briefly into bullet-time as the massive foot of Sundered Heart crashes down upon him with such force that the stone around him cracks and sinks in an inch or two. As Malus rebounds, Sundered Heart slams its fist into the back of the boy, prompting the action to return to normal speed as Malus is sent flying. He bounces once then rolls to a stop a few yards away from his Keyblade.]

LEON: Malus! Use this!

[Malus looks up at the sound of his name. Cut back once again to Cloud & Leon, who’s just thrown some sort of green orb the size of a baseball towards Malus and which flashes a bright blue once it reaches its zenith.]

[Insert the Earthshine Summon sequence from the original Kingdom Hearts.]

[Switch abruptly to show Simba’s paws racing wildly across the boss arena. A more detailed glimpse of him -taken from over his right shoulder- has him hurrying towards Malus at top speed. Finally, after he leaps, lands, then skids gracefully into an impressive looking pose in front of Malus, he throws his head back and issues Proud Roar; the camera pulling away from him to bring more of the scene into prominence as the lances of blue and golden light that shoot up from the ground around Simba shatter Sundered Heart’s left arm like glass.]

[Simba looks over his shoulder, back at Malus, with a deeply concerned look. This is the first chance the audience gets to truly lay their eyes upon the handsome lion.]

SIMBA: Are you alright?

[Malus looks up at the lion, who nods in return and then looks back at the quickly recovering Nobody. Malus struggles to his feet as the Nobody erects a shield of purple flame around the arena that prevents Leon & Cloud from helping their friends. A close up of Malus’ hand shows it clasping the handle of the Fenrir tight. The camera zooms out as he yanks the Keyblade out of the ground and steps up next to Simba. Simba throws the kid a wry smirk, which Malus is quick to return as he hefts his sword. The two brace for a moment then run forward, the action going into bullet-time once again as they leap into the air to engage in Malus’ second boss battle. Dissolve to white.]

With the town in ruin, Leon rallies the others to migrate to Hallow Bastion and it is there for several weeks that Malus chooses to stay before disembarking with Simba on a journey that would take them to places beyond imagination...

Here is a list of the locations Malus will find himself visiting: Hallow Bastion, Pride Lands (Lion King), Sherwood Forest (Robin Hood), Manhattan (Gargoyles), Atlantis (Atlantis: The Lost Empire), Treasure Planet and Sunset Horizons. The author would also like to mention that he has ‘disowned’ the worlds of Timeless River, Port Royal and Monstro, preferring to pretend they never existed or are anyway associated with the Kingdom Hearts legacy. It should be noted that during Malus’ following adventures he will run afoul an older boy named Jake who wields the powerful Guardian Soul Keyblade.

Even more notes of importance: Gate Jumping has replaced the need for Gummi Ships. Each world has specific points that act as Gates, which resemble miniaturized World Keyholes. Gates cannot be normally seen by the naked eye or encountered by initial touch, only someone like a member of Organization XIII or a powerful Heartless like Xehanort can to use them. Other changes will be the world sizes. Instead of being made up of a single town or large expanse, they are now full worlds that the characters of the original games have simply explored certain areas of. Because of this (and ‘cause it’s official) the worlds of Aladdin & Hercules are now one in the same.

Last edited:

NeoTwilight

*sigh* wow…. I’m speechless…
Oh, wait…. No I’m not.
Okay, if you wondering why there are 450 frickin views and only two posts, that’s because you write too much in one post!
Most people see a lot of words and think “ugh! That’s boring!”, but the thing is this isn’t boring, just long. If other people here realized that, then this would be very popular. You have a lot of potential, in fact, probably more potential then a couple of the professional fan-fickers here on these forums… just condense your posts….

Btw, you are very descriptive and that is a good quality for a writer to have. Great job. I’ll be looking forward to more work.

Q

Banned
*sigh* wow…. I’m speechless…
Oh, wait…. No I’m not.
Okay, if you wondering why there are 450 frickin views and only two posts, that’s because you write too much in one post!
Most people see a lot of words and think “ugh! That’s boring!”, but the thing is this isn’t boring, just long. If other people here realized that, then this would be very popular. You have a lot of potential, in fact, probably more potential then a couple of the professional fan-fickers here on these forums… just condense your posts….

Btw, you are very descriptive and that is a good quality for a writer to have. Great job. I’ll be looking forward to more work.

lol'd. Hard.
No, do not listen to him. Write as much as you can. Always.

Contact some of the REALLY good people here - GuardianOfHearts is an example - and give them a run-through of your ideas. Or post a link to it in your signature to the fanfiction. Don't spam-advertise it, but if it is in your signature someone HAS to read it. Many of the fans of fanfics here are...well, how can I say this...dumb. D: They like crap. If you have a flair or a unique style, then attempt it. But if no one comes, simply try again and again. Eventually, the smart ones will come.

Malus

Hah, unfortunately I either write long or not at all. It's a bit of a flaw of mine in this case it seems. But to help promo my work I've started this. Anyone's allowed to participate, even admins!

NeoTwilight

oh, ok. well it doesn't really matter how long it is because you know i'll still be your (first) fan for... a long time... i guess!! :3

(according to Mr. Redux, i'm one of the smart ones! yay me!)

Malus

Whoa, I have a fan? I don't think I've ever actually been told that before... I'm honored. And, just for that, you (and everyone else) gets a taste of what's in store during the later chapters.

-------

JAKE: Malus, now!

[The two armored figures look at each other and then nod before exiting stage right at a run. Together the two dash toward their target at breakneck speed, their feet a machinegun of footfalls upon the craggy ground. Cut back to the critically injured Dark Soldier, who's just barely managed to pull himself upright by using his Keyblade as support. Using the last of his strength he grasps the hilt with both hands and swings at Jake with all his might, but the action blinks into bullet-time as Jake half-cartwheels half-flips over the traitor before landing behind him on bended knee. D.S. only has time to let out a small sound of surprise and confusion before Malus darts into the opening left behind and he, along with Jake, take this rare opportunity to plunge their own Keyblades into D.S. from either side. The camera cuts to Jake and then pans slowly across the scene, lowering and then raising accordingly to drink in the details of the characters and the fact that D.S. was effectively doubly impaled even though the tips of the two other Keyblades had not exited the armored black hide. All three warriors simply stand there, barely moving, hardly breathing until D.S.'s Keyblade falls from his grasp with a clatter.]

D.S.: N-No…

[D.S.' helmet begins to crack and fall away as he speaks.]

D.S.: I'm not supposed to fall here… The one who's supposed to defeat me is…

[The camera focuses on D.S.'s mouth, the only part of his face revealed, as it wordlessly mouths the name "Sora." At this, the camera zooms away from the three combatants at high speed. At roughly half a mile's distance, after stopping and waiting several seconds in complete silence, a lightning bolt the color of a rainbow rips the heavens asunder and the Dark Soldier explodes in a miniature multicolored mushroom cloud.]

Malus

*laughs* I'm working on it, slowly but surely. Homework and family unfortunately comes first these days.

NeoTwilight

Ack!
Ficcy fell to the 2nd page!!
Nizzo!!!!
Ugh!
Keep writing you idiot!
And hurry!!!!

Last edited:

NeoTwilight

You've read it AF? ... wow.... *cough*liar*cough*... jk xDD
anyways, if you don't hurry Malus, this is gonna die. so post!

Haku

<3
I also really want to know what happens next in the storyline the story is very interesting so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back