• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Recap: Road to KH3?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guernsey

Awards
Can anyone provide a quick recap on what took so long for KH3 to start development?

Muke

whatever
Awards
Development started 2013 iirc.
KH3 never got announced before E3 2013 or something, so it didn't take "long" in the way you mean it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Can anyone provide a quick recap on what took so long for KH3 to start development?

Are we assuming that they intended to make KH3 immediately after KH2 (which is untrue) or taking into consideration that they didn't have plans for it at all (this is true)?

But okay I get what you are asking.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

In short: Nomura kept losing his staff to other projects, poor upper management at SE allowed Versus XIII to sit untouched for years, Nomura was extremely ambitious.

Other IMPORTANT factors: Nomura had no plans to start development on KH3 until he was ready and was happy to create the handheld titles to expand on the story of Kingdom Hearts. Numerous times after KH2 did he say that he and his team had no plans to work on KH3.

2013 happened to be when Nomura was finally ready, but even he admits that it was a bit too early to announce KH3. It was obvious that the Osaka staff were way more than able to create KH3 and that he'd be working on FFXV for another who knows how many years.

Or something like that.

Last edited:
Awards
It didn't take long at all. Aside from some ideas rattling around in Nomura's head, KH3 didn't even exist. Development didn't start until mid-to-late 2013 after it was announced at E3, I believe.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
It didn't take long at all. Aside from some ideas rattling around in Nomura's head, KH3 didn't even exist. Development didn't start until mid-to-late 2013 after it was announced at E3, I believe.

It was already in development for a few months before the announcement. IIRC Nomura brought up Sora's mobility as 'already being far along' and 'well beyond KH2' during E3 2013, or shortly after.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Development started 2013 iirc.
KH3 never got announced before E3 2013 or something, so it didn't take "long" in the way you mean it.

While I am a staunch defender of Nomura and KH3's development cycle since it has only been 3 years and we got plenty of games between 2006 and now, the road to KH3 is one that most definitely exists and we shouldn't pretend it doesn't.

If Nomura had been able to release FF Versus XIII in 2012 like it was planned in 2009, KH3 would have most definitely come sooner rather than later.

Also development for KH3 started after KH3D was finished, which was around late 2012.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
While I am a staunch defender of Nomura and KH3's development cycle since it has only been 3 years and we got plenty of games between 2006 and now, the road to KH3 is one that most definitely exists and we shouldn't pretend it doesn't.

If Nomura had been able to release FF Versus XIII in 2012 like it was planned in 2009, KH3 would have most definitely come sooner rather than later.

Also development for KH3 started after KH3D was finished, which was around late 2012.

I think the general impatience for KH3 has a lot to do with what people want from their Kingdom Hearts game. The premise is everything--

Play as Sora, joined by Donald and Goofy, on an adventure combining the worlds of Disney and Square
VS
Play as Roxas, a Nobody boy, as he serves the enigmatic organization through episodic missions where you spy on Disney characters

Hell, I even think BBS strays too far from the formula that made 1 & 2 successful.

Guernsey

Awards
Are we assuming that they intended to make KH3 immediately after KH2 (which is untrue) or taking into consideration that they didn't have plans for it at all (this is true)?

But okay I get what you are asking.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

In short: Nomura kept losing his staff to other projects, poor upper management at SE allowed Versus XIII to sit untouched for years, Nomura was extremely ambitious.

Other IMPORTANT factors: Nomura had no plans to start development on KH3 until he was ready and was happy to create the handheld titles to expand on the story of Kingdom Hearts. Numerous times after KH2 did he say that he and his team had no plans to work on KH3.

2013 happened to be when Nomura was finally ready, but even he admits that it was a bit too early to announce KH3. It was obvious that the Osaka staff were way more than able to create KH3 and that he'd be working on FFXV for another who knows how many years.

Or something like that.

So Nomura was focusing on the Versus XIII project while he wasn't ready for the KH3 project right? Weren't management issues at Square Enix the time? It was so long ago.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
If I may interject, the added benefit of this "release delay" is the addition of Big Hero 6 as a world. That's gotta count for something positive right?

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't mind how long it's taken to get KH3. I don't think it would have looked as nice on a PS3 or had technology that is as interesting. I mean, it very well COULD have, but I think the possibilities of the PS4 was worth the wait

(I feel the same about The Last Guardian, but I'm quite worried about that game for some reason)

appleboy82791

Awards
If I may interject, the added benefit of this "release delay" is the addition of Big Hero 6 as a world. That's gotta count for something positive right?

I definitely agree. Big Hero 6 is awesome and I'm super happy to see that it's going to be in KH3.
(But Nomura has said that they've been given access to movies that haven't come out yet for consideration in KH3. So theoretically KH3 could have released shortly after Big hero 6 because both the movie and the game could've been in development concurrently.)

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I definitely agree. Big Hero 6 is awesome and I'm super happy to see that it's going to be in KH3.
(But Nomura has said that they've been given access to movies that haven't come out yet for consideration in KH3. So theoretically KH3 could have released shortly after Big hero 6 because both the movie and the game could've been in development concurrently.)

True, but the assets have to be created and finalised at Walt Disney Animation Studios internally before they get shown to Square Enix (or any outsider studio for that matter). Sure, Square Enix can see the Disney movie whilst it's in development (like Disney INFINITY used to do), hence the probable reason as to why the events of the game happen after the events of the movie, however, the characters have to be established, the world has to fit in a Kingdom Hearts context, and most importantly, the movie has to be released before Kingdom Hearts III drops. Amalgamating all those factors together, Big Hero 6 was able to fit the bill. As far as Zootopia and Moana go, it's honestly 50/50 with both of these properties inclusion at this point (in any capacity).

WastedPenguin

Awards
I guess, at least for me, that over the last 10 years the anticipation and hype for KH3 has just burned into our minds without realizing that the handheld titles were just made to make the KH universe bigger and laying the story that leads to KH3.
The story after KH2 is just way too big to fit it into one single game and theoretically they would have had to store KH3 on like 3 PS3 discs if they skipped the spin off titles.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
I think the general impatience for KH3 has a lot to do with what people want from their Kingdom Hearts game. The premise is everything--

Play as Sora, joined by Donald and Goofy, on an adventure combining the worlds of Disney and Square
VS
Play as Roxas, a Nobody boy, as he serves the enigmatic organization through episodic missions where you spy on Disney characters

Hell, I even think BBS strays too far from the formula that made 1 & 2 successful.

I think it has less to do with that (because KH2 is easily the more popular title. Every casual gamer that I meet at random places always say KH2 is the only one they've played) and more to do with the stigma that people had that handheld titles in franchises don't count. Because I remember when KH2's secret ending came out and everyone was super hyped for "KH3," and then it was announced it was actually for a prequel called BBS. So since KH2's release, it was obvious that KH3 was not going to be the next game if people looked into it. But most people didn't. And so everyone was thinking "Man, KH3 is gonna be so cool" without even realizing that the pre-rendered fight they were looking forward to in KH3 was actually already out and had been out since 2010. And by the time they do figure out, they don't care because "it's just a handheld title" or "it doesn't say KH3."

It's kind of like at this year's E3 watching it live and seeing all the comments when they posted a gameplay trailer of this brand new video game with space battles and everyone in the chat is getting so hyped and saying "This game looks so cool!" and then the moment the logo comes up and they realize it's Call of Duty, they immediately turn around and go, "CoD sucks! This game is garbage, it looks like crap!" It's the same kind of thing with KH3. General gamers refused to be hyped about any Kingdom Hearts game unless it was for a PS3/PS4 and said "Kingdom Hearts 3" on it, regardless of how good the game looked. To most people, they were simply "side games."

In all honesty, I'm expecting Kingdom Hearts 3 to be slammed with negative reviews when it finally does release just based on how many people will have no idea what the story is in any way, shape, or form. Yes, I know Nomura has said that he's trying to find a way to introduce new players to the series, but let's be honest here, we all know that in whatever way that happens it still won't be very helpful to those who haven't been consistently paying attention to the story of the series.

Awards
In all honesty, I'm expecting Kingdom Hearts 3 to be slammed with negative reviews when it finally does release just based on how many people will have no idea what the story is in any way, shape, or form.
I fear that this will actually happen....

Guernsey

Awards
I think it has less to do with that (because KH2 is easily the more popular title. Every casual gamer that I meet at random places always say KH2 is the only one they've played) and more to do with the stigma that people had that handheld titles in franchises don't count. Because I remember when KH2's secret ending came out and everyone was super hyped for "KH3," and then it was announced it was actually for a prequel called BBS. So since KH2's release, it was obvious that KH3 was not going to be the next game if people looked into it. But most people didn't. And so everyone was thinking "Man, KH3 is gonna be so cool" without even realizing that the pre-rendered fight they were looking forward to in KH3 was actually already out and had been out since 2010. And by the time they do figure out, they don't care because "it's just a handheld title" or "it doesn't say KH3."

It's kind of like at this year's E3 watching it live and seeing all the comments when they posted a gameplay trailer of this brand new video game with space battles and everyone in the chat is getting so hyped and saying "This game looks so cool!" and then the moment the logo comes up and they realize it's Call of Duty, they immediately turn around and go, "CoD sucks! This game is garbage, it looks like crap!" It's the same kind of thing with KH3. General gamers refused to be hyped about any Kingdom Hearts game unless it was for a PS3/PS4 and said "Kingdom Hearts 3" on it, regardless of how good the game looked. To most people, they were simply "side games."

I am not sure if I entirely agree but I see your point. I was so hyped for KH3 and I used to regard the other games as being spinoffs before learning about their place in the canon. I used to watch videos, read fanfics and other content for that elusive KH3 title however it was only until more news came out that I learned about the new games. I couldn't get a PSP until in 2012(?) so that I can play BBS and the 3DS so that I can play DDD myself. I wanted a KH3 but I realized that it was disappointed that the game wasn't gonna come out anytime soon. I think it also has to do with the fact that most fans had probably moved from KH and just assumed that the games were just spinoffs. The hype for Kh3 was so huge back then but ti deflated due tot he lack of content and the 'spinoffs' didn't really help matters.

In all honesty, I'm expecting Kingdom Hearts 3 to be slammed with negative reviews when it finally does release just based on how many people will have no idea what the story is in any way, shape, or form. Yes, I know Nomura has said that he's trying to find a way to introduce new players to the series, but let's be honest here, we all know that in whatever way that happens it still won't be very helpful to those who haven't been consistently paying attention to the story of the series.

This is sad especially when the story had expanded to new territory since ReCoded, DDD, BBS, 358/2 and Chi. I am not really too surprised as some fans hadn't followed the story since KH2 and they were so burned out by the lack of KH3 that they just moved on or didn't care anymore. I myself admit that the story became 'confusing' when I was getting further into the series and it didn't help most of the story was also told through the Ultimania and the 'spinoffs'. Hopefully, reviewers who were following the series can at elast give a fiar review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back