• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Re:CoM Review - Re:Chain of Memories Triumphs Over Original Handheld Release

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
Re: CoM Review - Re:Chain of Memories Triumphs Over Original Handheld Release

Key Wielder I'll say this much in regards to voice acting vs. bubble talk(I call it that lol) sometimes it will work and others it doesn't, but the thing about the bubble dialogue is you can give it your own flavor almost all the time. There was many of times I wished for bubble dialogue in KH2(anytime Areith Talked).

I liked the balance they had with it in KH1 is what I can say even BBS to an extent.

Riku/Sora-Rule

Key Wielder I'll say this much in regards to voice acting vs. bubble talk(I call it that lol) sometimes it will work and others it doesn't, but the thing about the bubble dialogue is you can give it your own flavor almost all the time. There was many of times I wished for bubble dialogue in KH2(anytime Areith Talked).

I liked the balance they had with it in KH1 is what I can say even BBS to an extent.

Oh yeah, and can't forget, I loved it when axel said "hell" in the original : P

Shinjuku

Entrapment

Probably will forever be the most epic moment in the kh series sadly.

The 14th Order

There is something to letting the gamer interpret the emotions of the characters through the text. I can't say I prefer one or the other, but why not just write a book if you wanted the audience to read everything? Not that I am throwing reading books under the rug, but the standard for games nowadays, on console at least, is for everything to speak that can have a voice. Sure, you can let the reader interpret everything, but having a creator that can effectively execute what they see in their mind as if experiencing it first hand; now that is genius.

I felt more from the Dark Riku in Re:CoM when he verbally abused Sora than in CoM just because I perhaps didn't take it in the same way as if I would witnessing the scene, or I was younger at the time, any number of things. You can gather more information if all of the senses are being utilized. The nuances in speech don't exist in written text. It's harder to pick up sarcasm or subtleties. Yet, it leaves less to the imagination. It's really give and take, but if it's pulled off, either one could be monumentally more successful than the other.

I personally enjoyed The cutscenes in Re:CoM more than I did in the GBA release for I just thought it was better at portraying the story than all dat text... Sometimes it was strenuous to read everything, and sometimes it disturbed the flow of the game. That can negatively affect the player's experience and no matter how good the story is, if the player doesn't want to bother with it, the story won't be told.

Shinjuku

Entrapment

To tell you the truth depending on how you do a game like Re:COM and COM you can mess things up.

One example I liked Larexene(may have misspelled) character a good bit, but her voice acting just didn't do it for me.

Plus sometimes some people don't need to talk games that have good voice acting like God of War and say Uncharted are few and far between.

Key Wielder

Awards

I can definitely appreciate your standpoint. That's something I enjoy as well, being able to interpret for myself and put my own mental voice if you will behind the words the characters are saying. At the same time, though, I feel like so much more emotion can be felt when you actually get the context from hearing the words. For example, in the original game when Axel says he's actually enjoying the situation, you really don't know what to think. Is he surprised, confused, happy, sad, nostalgic? When we hear Quinton Flynn ( <3 ) say it, though, we can definitely tell what Axel is feeling. It's just kind of nice, to me anyway, to have that confirmation. And the Aerith thing.......I won't disagree lol.

Although for BBS, the entire game was voiced, with the exception of speaking to NPCs for the purposes of buying things. Other than that, I believe there are no important or really story-relevant conversations left to speech bubbles in that game. That was something I loved about it; it made the emotions far more tangible, which is definitely a plus with such an emotional game like BBS.

The 14th Order said:
There is something to letting the gamer interpret the emotions of the characters through the text. I can't say I prefer one or the other, but why not just write a book if you wanted the audience to read everything? Not that I am throwing reading books under the rug, but the standard for games nowadays, on console at least, is for everything to speak that can have a voice. Sure, you can let the reader interpret everything, but having a creator that can effectively execute what they see in their mind as if experiencing it first hand; now that is genius.

I felt more from the Dark Riku in Re:CoM when he verbally abused Sora than in CoM just because I perhaps didn't take it in the same way as if I would witnessing the scene, or I was younger at the time, any number of things. You can gather more information if all of the senses are being utilized. The nuances in speech don't exist in written text. It's harder to pick up sarcasm or subtleties. Yet, it leaves less to the imagination. It's really give and take, but if it's pulled off, either one could be monumentally more successful than the other.

I personally enjoyed The cutscenes in Re:CoM more than I did in the GBA release for I just thought it was better at portraying the story than all dat text... Sometimes it was strenuous to read everything, and sometimes it disturbed the flow of the game. That can negatively affect the player's experience and no matter how good the story is, if the player doesn't want to bother with it, the story won't be told.

I agree on all of this, especially about Repliku. It's one thing to see what he is saying to Sora and know it's cruel, but to actually hear the words? That plucks on the heartstrings, especially after everything that happened in KH1. It's one thing to have exclamation points for emphasis, but the cruelty David Gallagher put into the character in Re:CoM was brilliant; it completely put the scenes with Repliku on another level for me emotionally.

I never found it strenuous to do the reading, to be honest, mainly because I'm a very fast reader, but that has its own problems--the words didn't pop up fast enough, which was frustrating. xD More seriously, though, it's just more wearing on the buttons. It may sound stupid but if I can avoid some wear and tear on a system by having cutscenes instead of speech bubbles, I'll take it.

Shinjuku said:
Plus sometimes some people don't need to talk games that have good voice acting like God of War and say Uncharted are few and far between.

There are some games with really shoddy VA work, I agree, and Uncharted (never played GoW) has absolutely fantastic VAing like you said. I've always rather liked the voices they have chosen for KH (it took a while to get used to Terra and Aqua, but I'd watched the Japanese trailers FAR too often lol), so I guess that just depends on individual preferences.

Last edited:

The 14th Order

I thought Larxene's VA did a great job pulling out her character's sadistic nature. Very fitting.

Vəntus

Awards
Website
the-gapra-whitewood.tumblr.com

I didn't like Re:CoM, I had trouble using the cards properly... I basically did what I do with every other game... button mash. But I enjoyed the story, the boss fights and the whole exploring rooms instead of set maps.

Superschlock

Don't you step out of line
Awards

Fucking hated Re:CoM, the voice acting was terrible and the lip syncing was completely off. Ruined the game for me every time I watched a cutscene. Personally, I prefer orginal CoM.

The 14th Order

Vəntus;5804037 said:
I didn't like Re:CoM, I had trouble using the cards properly... I basically did what I do with every other game... button mash. But I enjoyed the story, the boss fights and the whole exploring rooms instead of set maps.

That's the thing about CoM. It's not a button mashing game; it put a lot more strategy in the battle system. Every move you made counted. Even with a deck full of 9's, spamming away at the attack cards would take forever to kill a boss. Using sleights makes leveling much faster and killing bosses a lot easier.

keyblade13

I had it for gameboy and actually liked it but never got around to picking it up. Now that I have a ps2 again I might just do that

flurryflames

I kinda liked the card system as well though it was annoying when the bosses would cancel out your zeros. I also liked exploring around CO which is something you can ony do in this game. The music was nice and the Neo shadow heartless were quite an challenge. Why couldn't they have been included in KH 2? Axel was epecially harder in KH Re: COM than he is in KH 2. All of the bosses were harder for that matter and it was interesting playing in two different stories as Sora and Riku.

NocturnalMelody

I enjoyed this game! I had bought the original CoM first, and quickly got frustrated...it just feels like the bosses don't give you enough breathing room on the screen when you're trying to fight them. The graphics weren't so great, but it was an older system so it's not too surprising.

But once it was moved to the PS2, everything just seemed to come to life. I love that the Castle Oblivion members were finally given voices and high quality cutscenes. The cutscenes were well worth trudging around Monstro world :biggrin:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

For the longest time, I always wonder why Com wasn't put on the ps2 to begin with. I mean I know why now, but at the time I felt disappointed, I mean I like Com on the GBA but I always thought Square Enix and Disney could have made it on the ps2. Instead of leaving a gap and jumping to kh2. That's why I was so excited that day when it was finally annouced for the ps2.

I never completed Com, sadly. Was close but the final fight with Replica Riku was difficult and I lost interest.

Which is another reason why I love Re:Com. Because I was able to complete both Sora's and Riku's story on Re:Com. It felt more alive as NocturnalMelody had put it. Seeing it come to life, like the other games before it, made it feel magical again. Making the series feel more complete now that the missing piece has been put in its rightful place. And reviving the love I have for the series.

Of course the boss fights in Re:Com were somewhat frustrating but I enjoyed it more compare to Com. The cutscenes made it worth going through the trouble of completeing the game. The card system didn't bother me as much as it did in Com, felt more easier somehow when it came to leveling. I don't miss Com much, except maybe the more original dialog. (been awhile since I've played it but was told some of it was changed from a friend). On the other hand, I still play Com whenever I'm out somewhere, so that way someday I will complete it.

Overall I'm happy with Re:Com. I'm glad Square Enix and Disney finally put it on the ps2.

Hillboy

MIA
Awards

It was pretty sick for GBA though
[video=youtube;x9IYGRkYplM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9IYGRkYplM&feature=g-vrec[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back