• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Re:CoM Review - Re:Chain of Memories Triumphs Over Original Handheld Release

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 14th Order

Re:CoM Review - Re:Chain of Memories Triumphs Over Original Handheld Release

I finally got around to picking up the PS2 remake of Chain of Memories to help keep me sated until DDD comes out, and to help refresh my brain of the story. After playing it for a few days, I easily came to the realization on how much better this game is on the PS2 platform. I mean, wow, you have the 3D models, the voice actors, smoother gameplay, as well as a butt-ton of new sleights to pummel your enemies with. My personal favorites are Sonic Blade and Lethal Flame.

I really wish that Square had made this release on the PS2 in the first place. I find myself better understanding the story elements, and connecting with the characters much easier than I did in the text-heavy original release. Plus, the 3D rendering is much more aesthetically pleasing than the sprites. It actually feels like I'm playing a Kingdom Hearts game this time around! It has that KH1 gameplay feel, while having some KH2 game mechanics and doodads. The cutscenes between Sora and Riku are much more dramatic in this release (David Gallagher, hats off to you for phenomenal VAing). Larxene's VA is pretty good as well, the sadistic vibe comes off very well.

If you never knew exactly how to pronounce some of the Org. member's names, then fret no longer. Many of the dialogue between Org. Members are VA'd scenes. I was caught off guard at the phonetic pronunciation of Marluxia (I always thought of it as "Mar-lucks-ia," when it's actually "Mar-loo-sha." Go figure).

I always enjoyed the card system, even when others loathed it. I find it to provide an extra sense of strategy, where every swing of the key blade counts. It may sting in the beginning, but once you have an unbreakable deck, the card system becomes your best friend. I find myself always being on the offensive and barely ever taking damage since I can always break their cards.

I am plowing through Sora's story mode so I can play as Riku, for I don't recall finishing his story mode. I can't wait to start tearing up heartless as a rendered Dark Riku. :cool:

For anyone who either enjoyed, never played CoM, or is looking for something to do until KH3D, I highly recommend you pick up Re:CoM. It's a very well done remake, and it's how the game should have been the first time around. Granted you don't play at the speed that I do, you should be able to enjoy this game for about a month or so (For me, more like a week or two...).

The only thing wrong with Re:CoM is that there is absolutely no explanation of Premium Cards. You kinda just find out on your own that they make your card usable only once a fight, but at the cost of that lower the CP count as if it was a "1" of it's kind. So, don't go making your strongest cards premium, unless you're sure that they will be the lead of a sleight.

Feel free to share what you think about the game. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Re: CoM Review - Re:Chain of Memories Triumphs Over Original Handheld Release

I don't get why you've reviewing this now when the game is four years old

Riku/Sora-Rule

Jeez, he even said he just picked it up lol,

Well I do like RE:CoM but I also really like the original, a lot of people either do not like, or just constantly rip on the card system, but it was put in place for a reason, that being the GBA. It is the most "Primative" of all systems with a KH game on it. Due to lack of buttons, and not being able to create 3d graphics for gameplay (as it was already a huge order to make the 3d cutscenes that were in there) there was a lot that could not be done, so they couldn't implement any kind of ability system, so the cards were used to attack, use magic, call friends, and put together to make special attacks. It was a brilliant way to implement the KH combat onto the GBA. But taking it further, the Square team found a way to very cleverly put the cards as a major factor for the story of the games. I do like RE:CoM for adding to the game's gameplay, fully rendered cutscenes, voice acting, and of course my favorite Riku's duels haha. Btw I always HATED that his name was pronounced Mar-Loo-Sha. When I thought is was Marluxia, it sounded evil and awesome. But how many more gay jokes do you think people made about him when they realized that was how his name was pronounced? On top of having a pink Scythe, shooting Flower petals, having hair that makes him look like a girl, and being called the graceful assassin.....couldn't they give him one redeeming factor to avoid those jokes?? Hahhaha

The 14th Order

Allow me to spoon feed you. I am sharing my opinions on a video game. I wish to perhaps engage in discussion on this game. I want to encourage people who have or have not played the original to play the remake. Hell, I'm a devoted KH fan, and I only now just picked up the game. I could imagine others who wouldn't want to touch it after not enjoying the first one - or simply not getting around to it - to play this game. I thought I made myself clear in my OP on what this thread should be about, but I guess not, and I apologize. However, I would appreciate your thoughts on the game. I take it that you've played it - I mean, it has been out for four years now. I'd also appreciate a post that's at least somewhat relevant to the subject matter. After all, I went to the trouble to reach out to my fellow forum go-ers to talk about Re:CoM, and to give my own thoughts about it first. It at least deserves a decent reply instead of a knock-back.

Well I do like RE:CoM but I also really like the original, a lot of people either do not like, or just constantly rip on the card system, but it was put in place for a reason, that being the GBA. It is the most "Primative" of all systems with a KH game on it. Due to lack of buttons, and not being able to create 3d graphics for gameplay (as it was already a huge order to make the 3d cutscenes that were in there) there was a lot that could not be done, so they couldn't implement any kind of ability system, so the cards were used to attack, use magic, call friends, and put together to make special attacks. It was a brilliant way to implement the KH combat onto the GBA. But taking it further, the Square team found a way to very cleverly put the cards as a major factor for the story of the games. I do like RE:CoM for adding to the game's gameplay, fully rendered cutscenes, voice acting, and of course my favorite Riku's duels haha. Btw I always HATED that his name was pronounced Mar-Loo-Sha. When I thought is was Marluxia, it sounded evil and awesome. But how many more gay jokes do you think people made about him when they realized that was how his name was pronounced? On top of having a pink Scythe, shooting Flower petals, having hair that makes him look like a girl, and being called the graceful assassin.....couldn't they give him one redeeming factor to avoid those jokes?? Hahhaha

I was okay with the original. I thought it was fine, but I will say that it was kupoing hard if you didn't go at the game right. The thing that stinks is that you need to choose between getting HP, CP, or Sleights when you level up. The thing about the original was that it was hard to get decent cards for your deck, or at least it was very time consuming. It could still be difficult in the PS2 version, but I know better this time around to fight plenty of heartless in each world and not skimp through too many. It's a lot easier to get Moogle Points in the remake, especially with Aladdin in Agrabah.

The lack of buttons and somewhat awkward feel of the L,R buttons made it harder too, especially when trying to fire up a sleight, then to only get it blasted with a 0 card.

I love the card system, I think it's great. It's definitely different, and a lot more fun then KH2's battle system... *yawn buttonmash*

The thing I loved most about it was that you didn't have to rely on your brute strength alone, if you wanted a certain sleight or to pull off a certain move, you needed to sacrifice something, be it the first card in the sleight or simply just having a different selection of cards to keep your CP good. I do think it's ingenious, however to someone who just doesn't understand how it works it can be frustrating.

I think remaking Re:CoM was a great thing. I'm really glad they took the time to make the game be what it deserves to be. The original CoM just had a very different feel to it; it almost felt like it wasn't KH, you know? Maybe it's just me, idk.

lol Marloosha. Idk I always thought Marluxia was a badass. His persona is that cool killer. Yeah he has a pink scythe, what of it? Try making fun of him and he'd have your head rolling. He reminds me of one of the squad captains from Bleach, that guy with the cherry blossom pedals. Cool killer. Marluxia just has so much class, and dare I say it... swag... he's the Graceful Assassin. It's fitting. However, the hair is a bit much, but he makes it work. Not that anyone would object with that scythe of his.

Riku/Sora-Rule

Lol I never had a problem with the card system and sleights lol. But back to Marluxia, hahaha, I wasn't saying anything, I'm talking about ppl who made gay jokes about him based on the PINK everything lol. Also, why was he skipped on a cool name? Every other Org member had the X either sound like a Z or X. Xemnas (Zem-nas). Xigbar (Zig-Bar), Xaldin (Zal-Din). Vexen (VeX-en). Lexaeus (LeX-A-us). Zexion (ZeX-e-on) Saix, (Sai-iX). Axel (AX-el) Demyx (Dem-iX) Luxord (LuX-ord) Larxene (LarX-ene) Roxas (RoX-as). Even Xion (She-on) sounded more bad ass hahaha

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Allow me to spoon feed you. I am sharing my opinions on a video game. I wish to perhaps engage in discussion on this game. I want to encourage people who have or have not played the original to play the remake. Hell, I'm a devoted KH fan, and I only now just picked up the game.
Then you don't need to call it a review. You could just say "My opinions on this game: RE:COM triumps over original".
Call me old-fashion, but I like it when reviews are closer to the actual release date of an item.

However, I would appreciate your thoughts on the game. I take it that you've played it - I mean, it has been out for four years now.
Except that the game is not for sale in Europe/Australasia and other parts of the world.

I'd also appreciate a post that's at least somewhat relevant to the subject matter. After all, I went to the trouble to reach out to my fellow forum go-ers to talk about Re:CoM, and to give my own thoughts about it first. It at least deserves a decent reply instead of a knock-back.
Fine.
Re:CoM had a wonderful plot, gave some more mystery and backbone to the series, much like the original, but the game is dragged down because of the card system. The card system is the worst system the series has had. Because of that the game does suffer, however it is a nice little bridge game.

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex

Yeah it does lack because of the card system, however I do get why they used a card system, because of GBA. But still, it would have been better without it.I just feel like CoM had the potential to be another good game and installment, another cherish able title. But because of the card system, it just becomes tacky, and obscure, imo at least.

Riku/Sora-Rule

Yeah it does lack because of the card system, however I do get why they used a card system, because of GBA. But still, it would have been better without it.I just feel like CoM had the potential to be another good game and installment, another cherish able title. But because of the card system, it just becomes tacky, and obscure, imo at least.

Maybe if for the combat in RE:CoM they changed it, but kept the cards for opening doors and contains the memories of the worlds.

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex

Maybe if for the combat in RE:CoM they changed it, but kept the cards for opening doors and contains the memories of the worlds.
I get what your saying, because that part was kinda cool. But if the combat system is changed, how will the doors and cards work then? Because if the combat is changed, the game maps wouldn't make sense then. Keep it being rooms that are based off cards, but just have all the enemies in there then. Instead off having enemy icons that pop up who you bump into to have a fight scene.

Reika

"Together... always."
Awards
Website
blayzes.deviantart.com

I must be part of the - what, 1%? - fandom that actually LIKED the card system. Sure, it was frustrating at times, but the challenge made it interesting, and I always got such a thrill when buying card packs. xD

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

I must be part of the - what, 1%? - fandom that actually LIKED the card system. Sure, it was frustrating at times, but the challenge made it interesting, and I always got such a thrill when buying card packs. xD

You're not alone, missy. I welcomed it. Repeating the same combat structure over and over would stagnate the series. I like to return to both the Gameboy Color and PS2 renditions when I'm feeling up for a challenge. Though, it isn't too difficult when you arrange the decks to your liking.

The 14th Order

Then you don't need to call it a review. You could just say "My opinions on this game: RE:COM triumps over original".
Call me old-fashion, but I like it when reviews are closer to the actual release date of an item.

Semantics. I do see what you're saying, though. However, I think we are - more or less - reviewing the game when we talk about it in such a manner as this.

Fine.
Re:CoM had a wonderful plot, gave some more mystery and backbone to the series, much like the original, but the game is dragged down because of the card system. The card system is the worst system the series has had. Because of that the game does suffer, however it is a nice little bridge game.

I think the reason why it suffers is because it's discouraging at the beginning. It's a difficult concept to grasp at first. You really have to pay attention. It's very much unlike KH1 or 2 when it comes to combat. The player isn't used to that; they're just used to smashing away at the X button. It's not a bad system, it's just different. I like to think of it like the card game in FFVIII. It's hard at first, but once you get the hang of it and start collecting all of the good cards, it becomes easy and fun. If anything, it fails due to a lack of attention span of the player. They just give up because they get frustrated and quit.

Cosmic+Amarna said:

I feel like if they went with this, then people would complain about how there wasn't any sort of new fangled ways to improve the game. Sure, the plot and character development would continue, but it would essentially be the same game. Just look at what they did with BbS & Re:Coded. Both great games, but have different battle systems tagged along with other cool stuff to keep you playing.
Then with the anticipated 3DS release, they are putting in new concepts. They just want their players to have a new experience when they play each game.

Riku/Sora-Rule said:
Then for what reason would there be to have cards at all? They could use anything really.

Reika said:
C'mon Cloud card, Cloud card, Cloud card... DAMN!

Rydgea said:
You're not alone, missy. I welcomed it. Repeating the same combat structure over and over would stagnate the series. I like to return to both the Gameboy Color and PS2 renditions when I'm feeling up for a challenge. Though, it isn't too difficult when you arrange the decks to your liking.
^ Agree. Though can be stress relieving at times, my X button needs a break from all the abuse it got from KH 1 & 2.

I have my deck set up so I can spam the kupo out of Sonic Blade. I feel like it's payback for KH 1 Dark Riku when he would spam it on you.

Sora: See?! It's not so cool when you're the one getting stun locked is it?!
Riku Replica: No, wait! Please! I'm a fake! Uncle, UNCLE!
Sora: No.
Level Up!

Hillboy

MIA
Awards

I liked the card system, my deck consisted of the highest cards I had (spare a few cures) and I just spammed attack. It wasn't that hard of a game and it was nice to try something diffrent (although I wouldn't want this impletmented in further games)

Shinjuku

Entrapment

I'd have to agree with Chaser little late on that though, but the card system to me wasn't that bad and this game probably is to this day still the hardest in all the games to ever come out for the series.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards

Yeah, REcom was a great game, it's what got me back into KH(points at registration date)

I wouldn't have minded if the series kept the card battle system, but most of the fans would have cried and moaned about it.

-->IMO<---

Key Wielder

Awards

I play Re:CoM more than the GBA version anymore purely due to convenience and comfort--I prefer playing on the PS2 as opposed to having a smaller screen to focus on for that long period of time if given the choice. Also, the voice acting. I'll take that over word bubbles any day, not to mention that we now know the proper pronunciations of the names. Not that that ever helped the Tee-dus/Tie-dus argument, but that's neither here nor there. xD Otherwise, I like them about the same.

In terms of gameplay, it never bothered me in particular to have the card system but it was also by no means my favorite in the series. The cards made it more of a strategy-based gameplay style, which was good, but I was easily frustrated when I couldn't seem to get higher ranking cards as I progressed through the game. If there had been an option to level up your cards in the same way as with pins in TWEWY, I probably would have been a bit more into it. It was interesting and fun, but I'd rather not see it return; I like that they used the idea of having a "deck" more creatively to evolve the command system to what we have in BBS, Re:Coded, and 3D. It takes a similar level of creativity and foresight to think of what you should stock and what will be most/least effective, and you have more options to change up the deck according to your preferred style of play. I'm a sucker for the impressive moves, so having a reload time instead of using sleights and slowly depleting your card stock is far more ideal for me.

Then again, gameplay has never been the biggest draw for me. As long as it has a good story, which CoM/Re:CoM certainly does, I'm good with just about anything in terms of gameplay. ^_^

Riku/Sora-Rule

I play Re:CoM more than the GBA version anymore purely due to convenience and comfort--I prefer playing on the PS2 as opposed to having a smaller screen to focus on for that long period of time if given the choice. Also, the voice acting. I'll take that over word bubbles any day, not to mention that we now know the proper pronunciations of the names. Not that that ever helped the Tee-dus/Tie-dus argument, but that's neither here nor there. xD Otherwise, I like them about the same.

me personally, I prefer to play the GBA version more, only because of the nostalgia. What I mean by that is, I got into KH when I went over my old best friend's house. He had me play KH 1 and I really had fun (even though all I kept doing was losing to Riku on Destiny islands lol) anyway, I got the game soon after that and loved every minute of it. Then in winter/fall of 2004,I started seeing the TV spots which was the only way I knew about CoM. The commercial, sucked me in. My grandma took me to gamestop, and i got the game and couldnt put my GBA down for days lol. The fast moving frames of seconds of clips from the game, both cutscene and gameplay to Simple and Clean. Everytime I think about it, it gives me a rush of nostalgia, cuz I was 11 when that game came out, and I'm turning 19 next month....but I digress, I think in need to get a new copy of CoM cuz the other cartridge went through a flood hahaha,

Last edited:
Awards

I honestly dislike the fact that people are bashing the card system because it required skill, rather than just button mashing. To me, the game was perfect. The storyline, the gameplay, and the environment. It all fell into place and it didn't create any confusion. The deck system was ingenious in a way that they managed to implement it in both command system and storyline. The introduction of Organization XIII wasn't overwhelming and the concept of a group controlling elements made encountering them exciting and challenging. What caught my attention the most are the endless possibilities of making a deck. I was always attracted to card games like Yu-Gi-Oh! and saw this as an advanced form of bringing skill into the game (which also made me hate KH2).

Anyway, my favorite deck types in Re:Com include Aqua Splash Demyx and Mega Flare Xigbar. I just love seeing Heartlesses getting blown into smithereens xD

venquaerra

i llike the card system.im replaing rikus story in COM right now. in Destiny Islands

Riku/Sora-Rule

The introduction of Organization XIII wasn't overwhelming and the concept of a group controlling elements made encountering them exciting and challenging.

Though I have to admit, I hate that my favorite Org. Member , Lexaeus, was kinda pushed aside. Earth has always been my favorite element, when it's utalized as he uses it, meaning rocks, not plants and leaves and stuff lol. He was a lot more challenging in the original CoM, but still pretty easy. In Sora's story, you fight each org member he encounters at least 2 times. But Lexaeus only gets one fight, and in Re: CoM, his fight is WAY easier, and the new Zexion fight is pretty damn hard cuz he keeps taking your already crummy cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back