• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Rate Their Chances: Back on Hiatus

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Re: Rate the World's Chances: Day 2: Treasure Planet (Treasure Planet)

Chance: 45%

Treasure Planet to me is one of those worlds that if they were gonna put it in KH, they would have done so already. As large of a setting it has a chance of being, there just isn't enough story or impact to pull from it this late in the game (series). Although heartwarming at times, there isn't much for them to do if they don't craft their own story or significantly alter the original story to fit Sora and co. into. It's a decent universe that would make very amazing visuals and game mechanics (imagine the free falling!), but I don't see anything aside from stunning visuals.

Want: 70%

Treasure Planet was not a bad movie, I recently rewatched it with my brother and we loved it. The animation is great, the character designs are fun and the dialogue was alright. There is potential to turn this movie into a really memorable world and I can see myself revisiting it just for fun (the urge to revisit a world is important to me as well as the story that took place there of course). But the amount of significant changes that would need to be taken are, imo, to great for the team to attempt. So either the world would be really hollow or it won't be in the game at all. I'd prefer its absence.

Nominations
Nottingham - Robin Hood
Hawaii & Deep Space - Lilo & Stitch (the first half of the movie is not enough for me!)
Atlantis - Atlantis The Lost Empire
Andy's Room/Al's Toy Barn/Sunnyside Daycare - Toy Story (take your pick. maybe doing more in the game unlocks the next story, maybe they choose just one. idk)
The Bayou - Princess and the Frog

Great thread btw, I definitely want to be able to put in my thoughts about each movie you got up your sleeve. Trying not to cause the KH hype in me to rise

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

Interesting nomination with Spirited Away, but is Studio Ghibli owned by Disney? Should I count this guys?

Disney is a distributor of the localized dubs, but they don't own any of it no.

It's 1 of the remaining Renaissance era films but they do seem to focusing on recent films now.

Treasure Planet isn't from the Disney Renaissance, that ended in the 2000s. Treasure Planet was in the middle of something called the Disney Experimental Era that lasted from 2000 to 2009. Disney lost a lot of its reputation, and pumped out an entire list of films that were critical or commercial flops. Treasure Planet's failure actually caused the studio to reconsider 2d animation, and Brother Bear and Home on the Range's failures were the final nails. The fact that Disney basically ignores films from this era, mixed with how lackluster they are or are regarded as is why the new era that started with the Princess and the Frog is considered the Disney "Revival"

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Interesting nomination with Spirited Away, but is Studio Ghibli owned by Disney? Should I count this guys?

Studio Ghibli is not owned by Disney. They distribute some of their works in the United States and some European countries but beyond that they have no control over Ghibli properties.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

Studio Ghibli is not owned by Disney. They distribute some of their works in the United States and some European countries but beyond that they have no control over Ghibli properties.

Couldn't they ask for permission like they did with TARZAN?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Couldn't they ask for permission like they did with TARZAN?

No, because Disney actually made Tarzan the animated film so they have some control over the property. The need to ask for permission is because the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate retains rights to the IP and there have to be paid whenever Tarzan is used.

Disney does not make Ghibli films, so they are not Disney property.

BluePikmin11

Awards

Treasure Planet Chance:
60% It is one of Roy Conli's films, so I would not be surprised if he asked Square Enix to use his film for KH3.
There's enough imagination put in the film to make for an interesting world.

Treasure Planet Want:
80%
I recently watched the film, and the world has so much potential. Would love to see it in.

x5 Axiom

Day Over!

Treasure Planet (Treasure Planet)

Chance Average:
66.815%

Want Average:
70.222%

Treasure Planet did pretty decent in terms of rating. Didn't surpass Frozen, but that is to be expected.
Today we are rating Atlantis, a world from the film Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

640px-Atlantis-the-lost-empire-logo.png

Rosebudx

Awards

Atlantis

Chance: 40%

I know many people want this, but honestly, Atlantis was...well, not as much of a bomb as Treasure Planet, but it didn't do too well at the box office. It has become a cult favorite, sure, but I don't see Disney really pushing for its inclusion.

Want: 65%

I enjoyed the film when I first saw it, and this would be a neat underwater world (hopefully to replace Atlantica, and with better controls to boot). However, I would not be heartbroken if we didn't see it.

Nominations:

Jamestown (Pocahontas)
The Big Easy (Princess and the Frog)
Hawaii (Lilo and Stitch)

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Re: Rate the World's Chances: Day 3: Atlantis (Atlantis: The Lost Empire)

Atlantis

Chance: 25%
This movie probably less fondly remembered by both Disney fans & Disney themselves than even Treasure Planet. Didn't particularly resonate that well with me either at the time.

Want: 40%
Eh, I guess there's another opportunity for a keyblade glider section but other than that I'm not remembering much of anything to make it interesting as a world.

Noms:
Toy Story
Incredibles
Robin Hood
Dead Man's Chest
A New Hope

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

Atlantis

Another blacklisted film from the Experimental Era. The only reason I'm putting this in the middle is because Nomura tried putting it in the first game. The fact that he's had multiple chances since then don't bode well for it.

Want: 40%

Again, it would be beautiful but it's not my cup of tea.

Nominations:

Andy's Room (Toy Story)
Game Central (Wreck-It Ralph)
Nottingham (Robin Hood)
The Big Easy (Princess and the Frog)
Neverland (Peter Pan)

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

Atlantis

Chance-80%: They could easily tie in Atlantis into the series given it`s themes of Hearts and magic. The art and animation is gorgeous and the city of Atlantis would be a fun location to explore. Yeah the movie bombed, but popularity doesn't always determine the chances of a movie appearing as a world.

Want-100%: Yes I definitely want this movie as a world. Seeing SDG interact with the quirky cast would just be hilarious. Plus we would get to ride those Atlantean flying fish motorcycles

Nominations:
1. Hawaii(Lilo and Stitch)
2. Agrabah-King of Thieves
3. Manahattan-Gargoyles

BluePikmin11

Awards

Atlantis

Another blacklisted film from the Experimental Era. The only reason I'm putting this in the middle is because Nomura tried putting it in the first game. The fact that he's had multiple chances since then don't bode well for it.
He did? Could I have a source?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I've never heard of Atlantis being one of the world's Nomura wanted in KH1, especially since the film released less than a year before KH1.

The Dark Mamba

Awards

Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Chance: 23%

Admittedly I haven't seen this movie in over a decade(barely remember it) but from what I remember it would have some coolish environments and themes that would tie in decently to the story. However Treasure Planet seems more likely to happen and I don't think they'll put two box office flops from the Disney experimental era front and center in KH3. Not only were both movies flops but they have similar stories and offer the same dynamics as well. If they had to go with one, I'd definitely say Treasure Planet is way more likely due to our pal Royanort.

Want: 10%

I hate to put such an outlier into the percentages but I really don't want or care for this world to appear. I enjoyed some stuff from that Disney era but Atlantis just didn't do it for me. Didn't have the Disney magic or characters and the animation style reminded me of a low quality dreamworks film from that era.

nominations
Wreck-It Ralph
Toy Story
Pocahontas
Pirates of the Caribbean
Cinderella III

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

I've never heard of Atlantis being one of the world's Nomura wanted in KH1, especially since the film released less than a year before KH1.

It's something I remember being talked about a long, long time ago so unfortunately it may have been a faked interview because I can't seem to find it now. I recall that they were working on it and had issues with the hover crafts, similar to how Nomura couldn't make Lion Sora work in KH1. But, I'd say that there's an equally good chance I'm remembering a hoax from ten years ago.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards

It certainly wasn't a bad film by any means, but it definitely wasn't a commercial success either. This was the kind of film that you watched as a kid and probably never saw again not from lack of interest but due to simply not remembering that this movie was a thing for so many years. If this film gets into the game, I will be legitimately surprised.

Want: 100%

If the fact that I had an entire post centered around a world visit on Sdog's Create a Boss thread wasn't enough to tell you that I want a visit to this world, the setting and the potential for this world in the game most certainly will. With that PS4 technology, we should be able to go to a luminescent world with future-past vehicles and such. The story can either be a somewhat copy and paste scenario of the film (I say somewhat because even in the scenario that I concocted, several Organization members and Seymour Guado featured prominently within the plot and can appear again in other worlds) or perhaps something new akin to Space Paranoids in Kingdom Hearts II or something like in San Fransokyo in Kingdom Hearts III. The possibilities are limited only with your imagination for this kind of world, so have at it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

As others have said, the film was not a financial success. It is considered a cult classic in certain circles, though, and although it came out in that weird transition period of Disney it was probably one of the more well received of the bunch. Also, the producer and director team who worked on Beauty and the Beast (and I believe the directors worked on HoND) made this film and they are still alive so I see it as possible. (I should note I saw more Kida cosplays at D23 Expo than I did for any other older Disney films)

Want: 100%
Atlantis is honestly one of my favorite Disney films of all time. People say it didn't have that magic or "Disney" feel that other Disney films did, but I really can't see it. I was 10 when I first saw it and it captivated me more than previous Disney films that came out just before the transition period. Watching Kida being chosen by the Crystal was truly a magical moment to me. Beyond my love of it, the lore of the film just works so well with Kingdom Hearts. We have the "Heart of Atlantis", a mysterious crystal of light that gives life to the residents of Atlantis that came from the sky, people seeking the Crystal out for its power, themes of friendship.

Directly from my copy of Atlantis: The Lost Empire Essentials Guide:

Tens of thousands of years ago, a comet like Crystal fell to the earth in the Empire of Atlantis. It possessed extraordinary powers, which the people soon learned to harness. But the king misjudged this power and used the Crystal as a weapon of war. The Crystal's power proved too great to control. It overwhelmed and destroyed Atlantis. After the catastrophe the king kept the Crystal hidden, and over the centuries he allowed his people to forget it ever existed. Despite this, the Crystal continued to protect and nourish Atlantis. It is the Atlanteans' life force. Without it they will die.

Do a little rewriting and they could easily make the Crystal a lost fragment of the original Light lost during the Keyblade War. And the King is practically a reverse Xehanort (both including and ignoring the fact they were both voiced by Leonard Nimoy). In his failure, he rejected knowledge and power whereas Xehanort seeks both desperately. The two could create a fascinating juxtaposition in the game, especially since the plan is to weave the lore and plot of the series to the Disney worlds included. It is mentioned in the film that there have been previous unwanted visitors to Atlantis in the past. Why not make Xehanort one of them, having sought out the knowledge of a time before the Keyblade War and being met with nothing but rejection and the realization that nobody in Atlantis remembers it well. (He would have blended in as an Atlantean except his eyes would give him away). Later he catches wind of the existence of the Heart of Atlantis and uses Rourke to get it.

...I AM VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT ATLANTIS. I THINK ABOUT IT A LOT.

Nomination:
Castle of Dreams (Cinderella III)
Manhattan (Gargoyles)
Andy's House (Toy Story)

Last edited:

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

Why: I think it's been said, but as this is yet another Disney film from that much-maligned decade of animation sans song and dance numbers, it fights an uphill battle against a number of more viable (read: popular and recent) properties. However, that only speaks to a marketing perspective: from a storytelling angle, Atantis provides a change of pace from the abundant Princess Musicals and Energizer Bunny antics of the CGI Renaissance. It's not a world the audience would be given to anticipate, which makes it a candidate for one of those "surprise" worlds Nomura et al. like to toss in now and again.

Want: 85%
Why: I haven't seen the film recently enough to recollect its plot too well, but I remember liking it well enough that I watched it multiple times and even owned it on VHS. Certain scenes stand out to me, such as the struggle with the Leviathan, as being heavily cinematic, and I believed in the central conflict. I think the main reason I'd like to see this make the cut is because of the way the film blends themes of magic and science, of Old Knowledge buried for the greater good and an encroaching curiosity by those who don't know better than to look, which I think could speak volumes to the greater issues at stake in Kingdom Hearts. I expect we'll find that Xehanort's plan, no matter how well-conceived in theory, is foolhardy in practice; the knowledge and power he seeks are not meant to be bestowed upon any one individual. Atlantis could serve as poignant foreshadowing. Moreover, it is aesthetically cohesive with the game's world at large, converging fantasy and science fiction elements in equal parts. Also, superficially, I'd love to see Kairi and Kida team up and kick some Heartless butt.

My only reservation is that the story is somewhat multi-faceted from what I recall, and it may be hard to do it justice as one small piece of the larger journey Sora & Company are on. Its effectiveness as a thematic device would be dependent upon when in the game its story is told, and that kind of thing can be hard to get right.

Nominations:
Monsters, Inc.
Happy Valley (Mickey & The Beanstalk)
The Jungle? (The Jungle Book)
Paris (The Aristocats)
The Hundred-Acre Woods (Winnie the Pooh)

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards

chance: 50%

Not a popular film, a high grossing one, or from a popular decade in the company's history. It's not necessarily something Disney is flaunting around, is all I'm saying.

Want: 80%

I want this film because of its incredible imagination, possibilities with Kingdom Hearts, and animation. However, the Clayton clone #3 character that's the main villain is so bland and uninteresting that it almost ruined the 3rd act for me. If he's replaced with a 'Nort Court member, I would prefer the world a lot more.

Nominations:

The Jungle Book
Black Cauldron
Hundred Acre Wood
Monsters, Inc.
Wall-E

Awards

chance: 5%

It was a gamble that Disney took, and it didn't pay off. It was disappointing in the box office and doesn't have a lot of popularity on a wide scale. It's not something that would catch a lot of people's attention, even though it's a cult classic. I doubt they want it revisited.

Want: 90%

It was another film I saw when I was really small. I remember seeing it, I don't remember much more than that. But the characters are lively and it's an interesting story, so it'd be fun. I reeeeally doubt it'll happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back