• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ratchet and Resistance creators going multiplatform

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macabre

Gold Member
Insomniac Games, makers of Ratchet and Clank and Resistance have made a deal with EA to develop a brand new game for the PS3 and Xbox 360.
Xbox 360 fans, rejoice. They are brilliant developers and none of the games they've made are bad.
PS3 fans, don't worry, they'll still focus on the Ratchet and Clank and Resistance like usual.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1092483p1.html

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Ratchet and Resistance are IPs owned by Sony. In fact, most everything Insomniac has previously made is owned by Sony. It's this new IP that will finally be the first IP Insomniac owns and EA publishes.

I await a crappy multiplatform IP with discrepancy in quality between two ports.

Though the longer dev cycles is nice news.

Macabre

Gold Member
I await a crappy multiplatform IP with discrepancy in quality between two ports.
crappy? Insomniac has never made crappy games, and never will.

Macabre

Gold Member
Uh no, he most definitely meant that the game would be crappy along with being vastly different in visual quality on both consoles.

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
We all know as soon as they make games for 360, they won't give a shit about it. So muti games will look crappy.

I mean lets forget they care about their work. He probably forget these guys aren't Bungie and have better track of good games, lol.

They said they wanted to make games muti for awhile now and they will still make PS3 only titles, i think Sony siad they have title by them coming up. SO we may see two IPs at E3. Sony IP and the 360/PC/PS3 IP.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
crappy? Insomniac has never made crappy games, and never will.

All it takes is a drastic panic to make two game versions run similarly to screw up an entire development schedule, cut content, and usually end up with a worse-off game.

Lost Planet 2....Bioshock 2.....Assassin's Creed 2....Final Fantasy XIII..

I just usually don't trust multiplatform games because the attention is divided and the focus isn't there.

Red Dead Redemption is the very first mulitplatform game I can say has met the quality of a triple-A exclusive game, and that's because it's been in the cooker since what? 2005? And it has a Rockstar budget. Even then, there is a significant discrepancy between the two versions in graphical quality.

Macabre

Gold Member
All it takes is a drastic panic to make two game versions run similarly to screw up an entire development schedule, cut content, and usually end up with a worse-off game.

Lost Planet 2....Bioshock 2.....Assassin's Creed 2....Final Fantasy XIII..
Remove Assassin's Creed 2 from that part and I'll agree with you fully.
Assassin's Creed 2 is awesome and IMO one of the best multiplatform games this generation.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Assassin's Creed 2 ran like ass on the PS3, the PC version was delayed (and riddled with DLC), the final game ended up cutting a significant amount of content and promises from what was originally announced earlier that year, and there were plot/pacing holes all around, along with numerous glitches.

It suffered from trying to develop on 3 platforms at once in a 2-year development cycle.

JohnnyLegend

Macabre.

Assassin's Creed gets a little boring after the first bit. It's awesome for the... I dunno, until about the halfway point. Sure, it's not BAD--but I personally prefer the first much more than the second. You don't really feel motivated to explore, because everything is presented on the map. Fights are far too easy. Eventually, it just doesn't hold my attention. Maybe the third will change that (UbiSoft has lost their edge over the years--looks at the Prince of Persia series).

BioShock 2 was a joke. Don't even get me started on that game. The first was awesome. How they screwed it up, I don't know.

If I recall correctly, RDR had a final cost of $10 million. There's no way that every developer has this kind of cash, so going multiplatform almost hurts the developers a little more if they don't have the finances to support themselves. Stick with one platform for a while, THEN move to others when a long dev time can be kept.

JohnnyLegend

It's online isn't even notable. How the game ever scored 8's and 9's from reviewers, I don't know. The graphics... good god, the graphics... V__V

Macabre

Gold Member
Assassin's Creed 2 ran like ass on the PS3, the PC version was delayed (and riddled with DLC), the final game ended up cutting a significant amount of content and promises from what was originally announced earlier that year, and there were plot/pacing holes all around, along with numerous glitches.

It suffered from trying to develop on 3 platforms at once in a 2-year development cycle.
Besides the screen tearing and slightly less sharper image, it ran pretty similar to the 360 version, unlike the first game.

Content cuts? Unbelievable. It's a pretty lengthy game as it is but if there was even more content then I have to give kudos to the developers at Ubisoft. I spent more than 30 hours doing everything there was to do in the game. Found all feathers, did all the puzzles, completed all side missions, got all weapons, armor and capes and got the Platinum trophy. Even after doing all those I'm still willing to play it again on a new save file.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Besides the screen tearing and slightly less sharper image, it ran pretty similar to the 360 version, unlike the first game.

And less stable/lower framerate, and the shitty QAA anti-aliasing that smeared vaseline all over the game.

Content cuts? Unbelievable. It's a pretty lengthy game as it but if there was even more content then I have to give kudos to the developers at Ubisoft. I spent more than 30 hours doing everything there was to do in the game. Found all feathers, did all the puzzles, completed all side missions, got all weapons, armor and capes and got the Platinum trophy. Even after doing all those I'm still willing to play it again on a new save file.

Yeah the GameInformer back in May 2009 that revealed the game with a 9-page article confirmed all sorts of events straight from the developers mouth that ended up being paid-DLC DNA sequences that were missing from the launch version of the game.

But even those cuts don't explain bad plot inconsistencies like where Da Vinci disappears halfway through Venice and your "brotherhood" is important for about 30 seconds before you kill the final boss and end the game.

Or like how your family doesn't matter after the first hour of the game....your sister's just slaved away as an accountant and your mother cries on her bed for 30 years. Lmao.

Macabre

Gold Member
and the shitty QAA anti-aliasing that smeared vaseline all over the game.
Ah yes, that's the reason for the slightly less sharper visuals.
But it's not a big deal.

JohnnyLegend

Content cuts? Unbelievable. It's a pretty lengthy game as it is but if there was even more content then I have to give kudos to the developers at Ubisoft. I spent more than 30 hours doing everything there was to do in the game. Found all feathers, did all the puzzles, completed all side missions, got all weapons, armor and capes and got the Platinum trophy. Even after doing all those I'm still willing to play it again on a new save file.

I give kudos to you, my friend, for having the attention span to keep focused on all those goals. See, here's my problem--you don't NEED to get the new armor or weapons because the game stays fairly easy throughout. There's no real incentive to finding all the feathers, and any collectibles are far too easy to find due to the mini-map. The side-missions are fun for the first little bit, but they feel like a chore afterward, regardless that they're not mandatory. Buying everything for your Villa is pointless because not even mid-game will you have enough money to purchase everything (or at least have enough coin to keep you supplied with all you need or want). Those platforming puzzles were a nice touch, but given the linearity, it wasn't all that great. Platforming in the First felt much more satisfying--it was far too damn easy, and every single path was basically laid out for you. No real exploration. The battle system is too easy, though it has a lot of potential.

Here's hoping that UbiSoft picks up their game (again, it's a good game, but far from perfect).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back