• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Rank the Disney Canon

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokie

Rank the Disney Animated Canon movies ( that you have seen ) if you haven't seen a certain Disney film, just ignore it.

Golden Era- ( Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi )

Snow White. Maybe it's just nostalgia speaking because I ADORED this movie when I was little. Grumpy is pretty cute.
Fantasia. Any movie that has male ostriches in tutus dancing ballet is fantastic.
Dumbo. Cute movie, but that racism lowers it. Hoping the upcoming remake fixes this.
Bambi. Again, cute movie. Shows difference between childhood and adulthood pretty strongly.
Pinocchio. Too much nightmare fuel for me personally. Not a bad movie, just too grim.

Wartime Era- ( Saludos Amigos, Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, Fun and Fancy Free, Melody Time, Ichabod and Mr Toad )

Ichabod and Mr Toad. Ichabod is a fun short-story and same with Toad.
Fun and Fancy Free. From memory this is one about the circus bear ? Loved that one as a kid.
Three Caballeros. Okay movie, great fan of Donald Duck.

Sliver Era- ( Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, Sword in the Stone, Jungle Book )

Cinderella. love the art style of this movie done by Mary Blair I believe ? Also love how mentally strong poor Cinders is.
Lady and the Tramp. SUCH. CUTE. DOGS. EVERYWHERE.
Sleeping Beauty. Phillip is great and same with the three fairies. I feel like Maleficent is overrated though, but that's just my view.
Jungle Book. Love Baloo, and Shere Khan is one of my most favourite Disney villains.
Peter Pan. Entertaining movie. I love Captain Hook as a villian, though same issue as Dumbo.
Alice in Wonderland. Crazy wild ride.
101 Dalmatians. Okay movie, feels a bit sluggish in points though.
Sword in the Stone. This is one of my least favourite Disney movies. It just feels blah, like Disney didn't even try.

The Dark Era -( The Aristocats, Robin Hood, Winnie the Pooh, The Rescuers, Fox and the Hound, The Black Cauldron, The Great Mouse Detective, Oliver and Company )

Robin Hood. Not the strongest movie Disney has done and the movie suffers from animation reuse, but the movie is light-hearted fun, so it feels forgivable. ( imo )
The Great Mouse Detective. One of the movies where the villian makes everything work.
The Black Cauldron. Not as bad as everybody says, imo Sword in the Stone is much, much, much weaker than this movie. Plus Eilonwy is badass.
Winnie the Pooh. Cute ! Had this on tape as a kid and would watch it over and over again lmao.
Fox and the Hound. Not a awful movie, but a bit 2 sad 4 me.
The Rescuers. Love Bianca as a character, but the rest of the movie feels a bit bland. Eh. Would love to see Bianca and her friend in Kingdom Hearts though !
Oliver and Company. Okay movie, worth a watch at least once. Feels VERY 80's.
The Aristocats. It exists..... ? Yay ?

The Renaissance- ( Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Rescuers Down Under, Aladdin, Lion King, Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan )

Aladdin. Loved it as a child, loved it as a teenager, love it now.
Little Mermaid. Again like Snow White, maybe it's nostalgia speaking, but I adore this movie. I love Ursula as a villian and Ariel as a hero. She feels like a real character.
Hunchback of Notre Dame. One of the most beautiful movies Disney has ever done !
Mulan. Mulan is one of the best Disney Princesses ever made.
Hercules. So much fun. Meg is the best.
Beauty and the Beast. Such a clever movie. Though Beast and Belle's relationship does make me feel personally a bit uncomfortable.
Lion King. Wow, here comes the tomato throwing. I don't really like the first halt of the movie. Simba is annoying. I don't think he deserves what happens to him though. Scar is a great and frightening villian. Not a fan of the soundtrack, I only like To Be Prepared.
Tarzan. A bit underrated, loved how it attempted to be a bit unique and refreshing.
Down Under. It's okay.
Pocahontas. I hate this movie, it makes me want to cry and not in the good way. Talk about romanticizing.....that. I find Peter Pan, Dumbo etc a bit forgivable because they came out like, 60-70 years ago, but Pocahontas came out in the 90's.

The Experimental Era ( Fantasia 2000, Dinosaur, Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, Lilo and Stitch, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt )

Lilo and Stitch. I love this movie. Truly heartwarming and great.
Emperors New Groove. A underated treasure.
Meet the Robinsons. Love the message of this movie. Move on, keep on moving forward, explore things. Don't let troubles of the past consume you.
Atlantis. One word- Kida !
Brother Bear. Loved this movie when I was younger, but as a adult ? Eh, it's okay.
Treasure Planet. I feel like you either wish that this movie got more love or you don't. I'm in the middle. It's fine.
Fantasia 2000. Great introduction to classical music. Not as great as the original though.
Bolt. It's ok.
Home on the Range. It has one good song, about the rain ? The rest isn't any achievement. There's a theory out there that Disney made this movie bad on purpose lol. Yeah, I believe it.
Dinosaur. Saw this as a kid in the cinema- went to sleep.
Chicken Little. Probably, my least favourite Disney movie ever. It's so cold-hearted and abusive.

The Revival. ( Princess and the Frog, Winnie 2011, Tangled, Wreck-It- Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana )

Princess and the Frog. Great hero, great prince, great villian. The story could be stronger, but it's still a good movie.
Moana. Great, love the soundtrack. Love how they didn't force a romance on a teenager.
Tangled. Rapunzel is cute, Gothel is up there with Frollo with one of the most disturbing Disney villains.
Zootopia. Love Judy. Love the messages it tries to send to the audience and love how it doesn't treat it's aimed audience ( kids ) like idiots.
Big Hero 6. Great superhero movie.
Winnie the Pooh ( 2011 ). Adorable. Though it's not the deepest movie ever for those over the age of about 6.
Ralph. It's okay. I find the characters too annoying though. I only liked the soldier girl.
Frozen. " I'm a fan of the original story, and I felt like Disney ruined it " syndrome.

What about you ?

ImVentus

Awards
Ok here I go!

Golden Era -
Snow White & The Seven Dwarves. This one is a true achievement in animation and storytelling. That being said it's a little too basic for my taste.
Pinocchio. A massive improvement on Snow White. The characters while still not too complex have more realistic traits to them. It's a very edgy and sometimes creepy film. I still loathe the Pranksters Island part.
Fantasia. (Prepare for pitchforks and ranting) cause I do not like this movie very much
:eek:. I fall asleep every single time this one's playing. The only part that hold my interest is The Sorcerer's Apprentice (Gee! that says a lot). It's so old fashioned, forced couples romance everywhere and some of the most un-appealing character designs I've seen in animation. Sorry but this is not my cup of tea.
Dumbo. At the very heart of it, it's pretty touching and I do have some admiration to the simple art style. The Pink Elephants is my favourite part though. Dumbo is adorable and as for Timothy, he's not the best example but I do like that he stands up for Dumbo. I never saw the english dub of Dumbo so I didn't pay any attention to the bias. And at the end of the day the crows are loving and supportive towards Dumbo, being seen as true heroes. It would have been even worse if they were just mocking Dumbo and portrayed as evil with little to no context. So I think it's a sweet little classic.
Bambi. It's very much like watching a documentary in the forest. The characters are cute but the story itself doesn't really hold my attention for that long.

Wartime-
Fun And Fancy Free.
I don't really remember this one too well. Except for the Mickey & The Beanstalk part. I didn't like it too much.

Silver Era -
Cinderella. It's a pretty looking film, with a pretty good moral.
Alice. I like to watch this film when I feel for tripping.
Peter Pan. Eh it's ok. Love the animation though.
Lady & The Tramp. Very cute film and it's beautifully drawn.
Sleeping Beauty. A nice basic fairytale. The fairies were the best part of the film.
101 Dalmatians. Unique art style, funny villain and lots of puppies.
The Sword in The Stone. I like it! I love Merlin & Archimedes. It's pretty funny. Is it only me that found it hilarious, that they kept changing Arthur's voice throughout?
The Jungle Book.
I love all the characters, the animation is pretty enough, the songs are catchy and the villain is best. I love Shere Khan.

Bronze Age -
Aristocats. Kawaii, love the kittens and I have a blast with the humour of the film.
Robin Hood. Funny as heck. Pretty good cast of characters ... although the animation is not the best.
Winnie The Pooh. Cute and sweet.
The Rescuers. Story wise, I prefer this one over Down Under. Bernard & Bianca are awesome.
The Fox & The Hound. I really like this one for some reason. I love Todd & Copper so I guess there's that.

Dark Age -
The Black Cauldron. Ok let's be honest, the film isn't that bad. However it does suffer from it's presentation and lore. there are so many questions I want answers to. It feels way too basic for it's own good.
The Great Mouse Detective. I don't mind it, but Ive never adored it as much as others do.
Oliver & Company. It has some very obvious flaws but it's rather charming. And rock that 80s soundtrack babe!

The Disney Renaissance -
The Little Mermaid. It's a classic. The characters are memorable and the soundtrack is pretty great.
The Rescuers Down Under.
Suffers from execution problems leaving the presentation very un-satisfying. Bernard & Bianca are thrown into an already interesting enough concept of a boy and his eagle story. That being said, this film has my favourite animation style/ art style.
Beauty & The Beast. Belle exclaims that she wants adventure in the great wide somewhere, yet she ends up in a isolated castle. Beast on the other hand is given a real arc and is the best written character. I don't know, I like it a lot, but I can't love it.
Aladdin. I mean it's really good and funny, but it's sorta starting to feel a little too 90s.
The Lion King. I'm one in the minority that loved cub Simba and just saw him as a michevious kid. I still really love Simba's journey and I do like the supporting cast. It's very much also good because of the nostalgia. Ive met the one artist that animated cub Simba in real-life. So I always hold that dear to my heart.
Pocahontas. I'm gonna be honest, I don't mind this film. I actually do like this character of Pocahontas. I like how she has interactions with her grandmother in the willow tree. The romance I don't buy, but I don't mind the interactions they had in colours of the wind. Meeko is my favourite character so I guess that's saying much. Also as cliché as it is, I really like the message at the end.
The Hunchback Of Notre Dame. Eh! it's pretty good. However I will say that I do love the scene where Esmeralda stands up for Quasimodo and inspires the message of having a voice for justice. The film is pretty good but I do have some issues with it.
Hercules. I do like the animation style, the characters are pretty funny as well. I love Hercules and I find him to be very adorkable. The music is also so...typical 90s.
Mulan. Mulan features some pretty likeable characters and both pretty looking animation and stellar soundtrack.
Tarzan.
This is the the only exception where I found relationship believable from Disney. Tarzan & Jane are very realistic human characters with a lot of depth to them. Jane is not only an artist, she's a woman discovering new parts of her life. Tarzan faces new discovery for the unknown and becomes aware of his history The writing in this film is fantastic. It's also very serious at times, while remain the fun and beauty. And the animation! the animation is gorgeous, while the score and soundtrack is one heck of an emotional ride. Ok I'm done.

Fantasia 2000. Pretty looking animation and some interesting segments.
Dinosaur. Very early childhood favourite. Yes it's very basic and a little bland, but it's also rather exciting. Dependant on your taste.
The Emperor's New Groove. This is a comedy masterpiece.
Atlantis The Lost Empire. Love the cast, Pretty neat art style. Milo Thatch is a very relatable character.
Lilo & Stitch. It was at this stage that my real childhood would kick in. Very nostalgic film with a great story and likeable characters.
Treasure Planet. This film got better with the years. It's not perfect, but I do admire the scenes with Jim & Silver.
Brother Bear.
Surprise, surprise but this film is getting better. It inspired me to become a writer. To tackle themes such as loss, growth & redemption. It's a personal favourite of mine. One I'll always keep close to my heart.
Home On The Range. (Sigh) It could have been pretty good, but they just had to make it as mediocre as possible. And ... Roseanne Barr (puke)
Chicken Little. Is it really that bad? it's hard tp sit through with all the mean spirited characters.
Although, Chicken Little and his trio of friends aren't too bad.
Meet The Robinsons. What a surprise! Very deep and well though out story.

Bolt. I like this one a lot. It feels very different from the rest.
The Princess & The Frog
. Pretty good film. I do like the characters and the music is also pretty good.
Tangled. Tangled is very well thought out and it carries a very powerful message towards abuse. The Lantern scene is magical.
Winnie The Pooh. (Sigh) why is this considered canon? Tigger Movie or Search For Christopher Robin, were geared towards a wider audience with powerful morals. Oh well, I consider them canon over this.
Wreck It Ralph.
Pretty good film, Love the animation, decent characters ... but what else really is there to it.
Frozen. Nah, It's decent with a pretty good female cast, but that's all I can give it. The snow effects are pretty but they'e nowhere near as impressive as in HTTYD2. And I loathe the male characters in this film.
Big Hero 6. This film plays a very predictable formula ... but it's the way that it's executed that makes it work. The film can stand on it's own, thanks to the more realistic portrayal of grief and loss. The characters are likeable, especially the two leads Hiro & Baymax. The animation is great and the voice work is also really good.

Zootopia
It's funny and it's vibrant with lots of likeable characters and world building. The whole political aspect is rather overused after giving this the 3rd watch. The film does however cleverly add in a little explanatory about bullying that many can relate to as well as shitty workplace bosses (i'm looking at you Chief Bogo)
Moana. Honestly the film really isn't that great as I used to think. It's a bunch of re-used tropes from earlier films and Disney is back at making fun of themselves
(It's not funny anymore) Moana is a pretty likeable lead I would say ... but as for Maui (oh I've got something to say to that hypocrite) Why on earth would I want to feel bad for someone who literally is obsessed with himself, tries to kill a innocent girl and not give a damn about other's well being. He's very obnoxious and I couldn't stand him. He's worse than that chicken. I mean outside of the beautiful animation, decent voice work, nice score and relationship between Tala & Moana .... what else is there that works with this film?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back