• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Random Short Story

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

<3

Call me Love, love.
It was cold, Julia reflected as she huddled beside the lit fire; shivering from the teasing chills that nipped at her skin and left her teeth chattering. She watched the flames flicker with a liveliness she could not remember sharing and her head dropped to rest on her crossed arms within the dark neglected room.

She wondered silently how much longer she would have to wait, how much longer would she have to wallow in her misery until she could be rescued and cured of the aching loneliness that plagued her. Julia hadn’t been herself for far too long. Not since her father took to beating his problems away on her. Not since her mother had made her rancour clear. She could not even find solace in the child that constantly cried in its basinet from hunger.

A lone tear streaked down Julia’s cheek and it splashed onto the hardwood floor; the room was so quiet she could have sworn she heard it land. The neurotic smile broke out across her face with ease and her humourless laugh pierced through the silence; echoing from wall to wall. She waited patiently, waited for the voice in her head that would sing to her of sin and whisper to her secrets not intended for the innocent. It was the only voice that could murmur to her the pleasures of a life she had been forbidden.

Julia raised her head with a sigh as she listened to her drunken father’s screams of abuse to her sobbing sibling reverberate through the house to reach her ears in hushed and angry tones. Something inside the pit of her stomach twinged as guilt began to fill her mind. Julia longed to care about her baby brother, she wanted to gaze down at him with eyes full of love an elder sister should have, but she prayed nightly to any God who would listen to keep his life short; she didn’t want this for him.

More tears seemed to wet her face now as she opened her palm to reveal the recently sharpened razor; she had held onto it so tightly that blood began to pool in her hand. A morbid smile teasingly played with her lips the longer she focused on the fresh wound and she toyed with the blade in her free hand between her bony fingers.

Not once could she recall a time that she felt wanted. She was always cast aside, forgotten and treated with cruelty. Love and care were foreign things to her. She had never experienced them; not once.

She heard her father stomp his way up the stairs with a stumble to his step and her breath caught in her throat. A whimper pushed its way past the lump that had quickly formed and her father tripped, cussing her name.

Her body shook with fear. She crawled furiously towards the darkest corner of the room, praying he would not find her, and she desperately pressed her knees against her chest to appear as small as possible in the little space available to her.

“Please,” she began to whisper to the empty air around her. “Please, not again.” Her head shook with her plead and the tears ran freely now as fear gripped her.

Julia winced from a sharp pinch in her palm and she remembered the razor, remembered the freedom she would feel each time she ripped into her skin and watch the blood succumb to gravity. Time seemed to slow around her the longer she thought about it; the world seemed to vanish and all that was left was her desperation to be elsewhere, anywhere than there.

She pushed the razor against her wrist, remembered the grisly saying she had discovered online and with a calming breath she whispered, “Down the road, not across the street.”

She dragged the razor down the inside of her wrist and a scream broke through her lips as the most horrendous pain spread through her like fire. As the blood began to spurt from her body she sagged back against the wall and laughed. Her jaw clenched tight and she told herself not to cry as her eyes began to struggle to remain open. She wanted to sleep. All of a sudden exhaustion claimed her and all she wanted was to sleep.

As her father pushed his way through the barricaded door, Julia let sleep take her with a smile; happy for the first, and last time.

-----------------

It's way over dramatic and it looks like I slept with a thesaurus, but I hate writing short stories and I had to do this for school. Thought I'd share it. The theme I had to go with was isolation and I tend to kill off a lot of my short story characters because I don't know what else to do with them.

Taokitty

A Chagrined Fool.
Awards
People's Fragile Dreams, Relinquished from Anixiet
Hello user named"<3"! I haz read it, and I shall do my best to give a constructive review!

Pros!

"...shivering from the teasing chills that nipped at her skin and left her teeth chattering."

I like the image that is portrayed, about the cold. How it is the only thing that may be playful to her, the only thing that tries to pay attention to her, however, because of its ministrations, it causes her body to react in an unpleasant way. Interestingly, I have found the word "nip" for whatever reason used in a lot of context from books I've read to signify affection, usually with non-humans. I wonder if that is the reason you chose "nip"? To signify that the cold is showing affection, because she has nothing else? I believe you can make this sentence more fantastic. ^-^

"Not since her father took to beating his problems away on her. Not since her mother had made her rancour clear."

Repetition is generally a risky move, but I believe you pulled this off well. It is nice to see it in an almost list format, so you can get a sense of the impact the two have left, how intertwined the two are to her problems, and how she can deduce the very things that have screwed her over.

"...she opened her palm to reveal the... razor; ... blood began to pool in her hand." I like this sentence, with her opening her palm, and blood pooling in her hand. The blood pooling in her hand by clutching it? Damn! She was holding on to it tight! And not to mention how sharp it is! The whole "blood pooling" worked nicely because you can imagine it staining her skin, and coating the blade. I picked certain things from the sentence above, and did not write the full sentence, because I wanted to show you which words really got me, that had a strong impact.

Your punctuation is pretty good too, and I only found a few mistakes, so good job! =D It is always useful to be able to do those basic things, so kudos -or kupos- to you! =D

Her thoughts about her sibling are a nice touch, too.

Potential things to work on?

"...wallow in her misery until she could be rescued and cured of the aching loneliness that plagued her."

Maybe it is just me, but I think it could have be more poignant if it was worded as,"... this aching loneliness." It is wonderful you are using a good vocabulary, and I view it as you had done well to colour this sentence to the best of your ability, that the,"that plagued her," bit seemed like a l'il bit too much icing on the cake. This is just my personal opinion because you word things well, and the point you were making, and trying to make us feel got across, I do believe. ^-^

It would also be nice to have been experienced to explicit details of what the parents had done to her, to feel a bit more sympathy and horror of what she experiences every day. For example,"... she listened to her drunken father’s screams of abuse..." what is he yelling? How is it abuse? It is good that you are painting the scene, just, I am curious about the actions that are occurring, so that I can feel the abuse she is going through a bit more.

Also, it would be fantastic if certain sentences were broken. For example,"
Julia raised her head with a sigh as she listened to her drunken father’s screams of abuse to her sobbing sibling reverberate through the house to reach her ears in hushed and angry tones," it is good with how she talks about how the sound travels, along with how her brother is reacting, and what not. Just for myself, personally, it sounds like the sentence could be split in two, so that way people can process the information better.

Maybe: "Julia raised her head with a sigh as she listened to her drunken father’s screams of abuse to her sobbing sibling. The sound reverberated through the house to reach her ears in hushed and angry tones." This way, what the father is doing, and how it gets to her is a bit easier to understand. This could be just me, of course, and I do like how you like to use words, just, I believe you are capable of making it more poignant yet.

It is good you are doing your best to portray the emotions. Pretty much, cut certain sentences, actions are always lovely, and mayhaps less adjectives. You chose some really nice verbs, and had some really nice imagery, and I am looking forward to you sharpening your words to get the best imagery. :)

So yeah! Good luck, and good job for a short story!

-Taokitty
PS Pardon me if some of this does not make sense; it is 1:00 AM in the morning for me. xox Anyhow, have a fantabolous morning-evening-afternoon-whereveryouare! And, huzzah for isolation! =D

<3

Call me Love, love.
Hello user named"<3"! I haz read it, and I shall do my best to give a constructive review!

Pros!

"...shivering from the teasing chills that nipped at her skin and left her teeth chattering."

I like the image that is portrayed, about the cold. How it is the only thing that may be playful to her, the only thing that tries to pay attention to her, however, because of its ministrations, it causes her body to react in an unpleasant way. Interestingly, I have found the word "nip" for whatever reason used in a lot of context from books I've read to signify affection, usually with non-humans. I wonder if that is the reason you chose "nip"? To signify that the cold is showing affection, because she has nothing else? I believe you can make this sentence more fantastic. ^-^

"Not since her father took to beating his problems away on her. Not since her mother had made her rancour clear."

Repetition is generally a risky move, but I believe you pulled this off well. It is nice to see it in an almost list format, so you can get a sense of the impact the two have left, how intertwined the two are to her problems, and how she can deduce the very things that have screwed her over.

"...she opened her palm to reveal the... razor; ... blood began to pool in her hand." I like this sentence, with her opening her palm, and blood pooling in her hand. The blood pooling in her hand by clutching it? Damn! She was holding on to it tight! And not to mention how sharp it is! The whole "blood pooling" worked nicely because you can imagine it staining her skin, and coating the blade. I picked certain things from the sentence above, and did not write the full sentence, because I wanted to show you which words really got me, that had a strong impact.

Your punctuation is pretty good too, and I only found a few mistakes, so good job! =D It is always useful to be able to do those basic things, so kudos -or kupos- to you! =D

Her thoughts about her sibling are a nice touch, too.

Potential things to work on?

"...wallow in her misery until she could be rescued and cured of the aching loneliness that plagued her."

Maybe it is just me, but I think it could have be more poignant if it was worded as,"... this aching loneliness." It is wonderful you are using a good vocabulary, and I view it as you had done well to colour this sentence to the best of your ability, that the,"that plagued her," bit seemed like a l'il bit too much icing on the cake. This is just my personal opinion because you word things well, and the point you were making, and trying to make us feel got across, I do believe. ^-^

It would also be nice to have been experienced to explicit details of what the parents had done to her, to feel a bit more sympathy and horror of what she experiences every day. For example,"... she listened to her drunken father’s screams of abuse..." what is he yelling? How is it abuse? It is good that you are painting the scene, just, I am curious about the actions that are occurring, so that I can feel the abuse she is going through a bit more.

Also, it would be fantastic if certain sentences were broken. For example,"
Julia raised her head with a sigh as she listened to her drunken father’s screams of abuse to her sobbing sibling reverberate through the house to reach her ears in hushed and angry tones," it is good with how she talks about how the sound travels, along with how her brother is reacting, and what not. Just for myself, personally, it sounds like the sentence could be split in two, so that way people can process the information better.

Maybe: "Julia raised her head with a sigh as she listened to her drunken father’s screams of abuse to her sobbing sibling. The sound reverberated through the house to reach her ears in hushed and angry tones." This way, what the father is doing, and how it gets to her is a bit easier to understand. This could be just me, of course, and I do like how you like to use words, just, I believe you are capable of making it more poignant yet.

It is good you are doing your best to portray the emotions. Pretty much, cut certain sentences, actions are always lovely, and mayhaps less adjectives. You chose some really nice verbs, and had some really nice imagery, and I am looking forward to you sharpening your words to get the best imagery. :)

So yeah! Good luck, and good job for a short story!

-Taokitty
PS Pardon me if some of this does not make sense; it is 1:00 AM in the morning for me. xox Anyhow, have a fantabolous morning-evening-afternoon-whereveryouare! And, huzzah for isolation! =D

Oh gosh! I only just saw this! I'm so sorry for not getting back to you sooner! It's a bit late where I am and brain is a bit fuzzy. I couldn't really delve deeper into anything as this was a limited word short story that I had to do for school. But I appreciate all of you critique and I understand fully. You did a fantastic job and thank you very much for taking the time to write this, it means a lot to me to get constructive feedback.

Taokitty

A Chagrined Fool.
Awards
People's Fragile Dreams, Relinquished from Anixiet
No problem! Aynd, yay! You get the feedback! =D And, that makes sense. If you do decide to rewrite this, I will be all ea-eyes? XDDDD

It is nice to give people one's opinion that will be productive and helpful. ^-^ One day, all of us will be the outsiders to the stories we ourselves have written. It makes sense to make it as polished as people so we can preen with pride, neh? (Or, so I personally want to do with my stories... minus the pride... and the preening xP).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back