• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Radical & Tumblr Feminists Disrupt MRA Meeting At University of Toronto

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
First off, I'm only linking the video TheAmazingAtheist posted because he did a good job of including multiple different clips from the incident. I don't entirely agree with all that he said.

Anyways, as others might have already heard, a group of radical feminists recently disrupted a Men's Rights Activist meeting run by the Canadian Association for Equality (C.A.F.E.), by first crowding the hallways just outside the room where the meeting was being held and loudly chanting, before eventually pulling the fire alarm and forcing them to end the meeting and deal with the protestors while waiting outside.

As TAA points out in the video, by pulling the fire alarm a number of fire fighters arrived at the scene to only have their time wasted. I'd also add on that had there been a real fire elsewhere at that same time, the protesters would be responsible for delaying the firefighters from doing their jobs elsewhere.

[video=youtube;M2KPeMcYsuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2KPeMcYsuc[/video]

The official website for CAFE: Canadian Association for Equality
The article on the incident from CAFE (includes video of the actual meeting): Canadian Association for Equality

Thoughts, KHInsider?

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Re: Radical Feminists Disrupt A MRA Meeting At The University of Toronto

>MRAs

AHAHAHAAHAHAHA

>TheAmazingAtheist

*laughter heightens*

i'm not sure if these folk are real radfem which are also scum for their attitudes towards women of colour and trans women as well as their icky thoughts about sex but while what they did was certainly asinine, mras should be certainly engaged with, even with mild belligerence, but this does nothing to further the cause of women.

like, yeah, a lot of mras can just be scary/oppressing-ass organizations (even to their own members) but please don't waste the firefighter's time with such hijinks. if you need attack them, attack them (not literally i mean) then do so in a way that attacks their arguments.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

Freedom of speech is more important than Equality. Or rather, it's more necessary. Without freedom of speech, equality between genders and races probably would have never happened.

So yeah, whether an opinion is shit or not, you cannot take away freedom of speech. Protesting is okay, as long as it doesn't directly affect the event. Saying it is okay for them to pull that fire alarm is like saying it'd be okay for Westboro Baptist to actually march into a funeral they are protesting. And it's even worse because now the fire department's time got wasted.

And then when they are talking after the fire alarm is pulled, all they are pretty much doing is going "you are scum you are scum, SHUT UP AND LET ME TALK, you are scum". If you can't act in a civilized manner, there's no value in listening to you.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards

diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum diddlying scum fucking scum

Theart

Awards

i'm not sure if these folk are real radfem which are also scum for their attitudes towards women of colour and trans women as well as their icky thoughts about sex but while what they did was certainly asinine, mras should be certainly engaged with, even with mild belligerence, but this does nothing to further the cause of women.

like, yeah, a lot of mras can just be scary/oppressing-ass organizations (even to their own members) but please don't waste the firefighter's time with such hijinks. if you need attack them, attack them (not literally i mean) then do so in a way that attacks their arguments.

Here's the article on CAFE's website.

The University of Toronto Men’s Issues Awareness Society and the Canadian Association for Equality hosted “From Misogyny and Misandry to Intersexual Dialogue” at the University of Toronto and April 4, 2013

<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 23.09375px; background-color: rgb(253, 253, 253);">[video=youtube;jQzQBTkQZWU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jQzQBTkQZWU[/video]

This dialogue exploring how sexism against either women or men robs all of us of value and worth was protested by a loose coalition of groups. In this Video of Part 1 you can hear Dr. katherine Young discussing the importance of empathy and communication, then Dr. Paul Nathanson courageously shares the story of how his being gay as a youth gave him insights into the constraints imposed by gender roles.
All of this is meanwhile being loudly protested by groups outside the hall, including the University of Toronto Students Union, CUPE (Canadian Union of Public Employees), and the University-sanctioned and funded OPIRG (Ontario Public Interest Research Group).
Video Part 2 and the Q & A will be posted as soon as possible. They do not contain distractions from protests outside, as protestors forced their own evacuation from the building by pulling the first alarm at the end of this video.
For more information:
Media Advisory & Statement: Groups Promise “Militant” Response to Thursday’s Building Dialogue on Sexism Event at U of T
The New Hegemony: CAFE Responds Against Student Union Oppression, Harassment, and Policy Breaking

Now, I agree with you on the matter that many MRAs are big problems. However, from what I've seen in various videos from this incident, it seems that the protesters were just causing a ruckus for the hell of it. Now, there could have been protesters present that argued with the people from CAFE in a mature manner and offered sources and evidence for their statements, but all I've seen is just a bunch of women shouting and swearing at everyone else, including at least one woman that appeared to have either attended the meeting or went to the scene afterwards and appeared to be a reporter. Could be wrong on that, but I know there was at least one woman in the antagonized crowd, and another woman that spoke during the meeting itself.

And I completely agree with you that these women did nothing to help the cause they claim to support. By all means, I want my mother, my sister, my eventual wife (whoever she may be) to have every single right I have, and if I have a daughter, I most certainly want her to have the same rights as my own. Had all the women protesting been able to maturely debate with CAFE in a calm manner and bring facts and evidence supporting their claims that they could provide to the crowd, then I would have more respect for them, even if I think they were being flat-out idiots for pulling the fire alarm.

Theart

Awards

did someone just say that the regret of sex can count as rape ?

diddly this gay earth

EDIT: i am referring to the original video, not the one in the OP

You mean the one that CAFE posted? I don't know. I'm kinda multitasking at the moment, so all I've been hearing is the protesters chanting over everyone. Like I said earlier, many MRAs are problems, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were controversial/downright stupid things said in the meeting. However, in the videos that I've seen where I -can- hear anyone else besides the protesters clearly, there was at least a few people trying to talk to the protesters in an appropriate manner.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

Infinite lols at sex-negative Tumblr feminists. The red-haired chick has her own Tumblog where she can receive all the private comments she likes and only shows the ones she can respond to with a quick word or shot to be a troll. When she wasn't in an environment she wasn't in total control of she just goes ballistic. It's fantastic to watch. These women do more harm for the feminist cause than any countering viewpoints or statistics could ever do. The MRA movement happened because feminists like these got a soapbox and despise everything male, masculine, and so on, and have reduced their worldview to a with-us-or-against-us mentality.

Can I also ask where people are seeing MRA's as an actual problem? I could understand if you think them misguided or self-victimising, but actually problematic?

Last edited:

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
People are dumb. Some women thing every problem stems from The Patriarchy (tm); some men think that the most oppressed class on Earth are straight, white men.

Reality, as always, lies between the extremes.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

Infinite lols at sex-negative Tumblr feminists. The red-haired chick has her own Tumblog where she can receive all the private comments she likes and only shows the ones she can respond to with a quick word or shot to be a troll. When she wasn't in an environment she wasn't in total control of she just goes ballistic. It's fantastic to watch. These women do more harm for the feminist cause than any countering viewpoints or statistics could ever do. The MRA movement happened because feminists like these got a soapbox and despise everything male, masculine, and so on, and have reduced their worldview to a with-us-or-against-us mentality.

Can I also ask where people are seeing MRA's as an actual problem? I could understand if you think them misguided or self-victimising, but actually problematic?

radfems who think all piv sex is rape though--fricking hilarious (also a huge middle finger to their fellow women and understanding of sexuality, but i digress). to attempt to answer your query:

Misunderstanding/anger stemming from not being on top of the world as opposed to actual sexism (a problem with some feminists as well) as well as how some MRAs can get about gender theory (re: not educated) or roles (re: thinking in binaries). There's also incidents, some reported, some anecdotal, where a male will step up in an MRA group and recount experiences of rape and sexual assault, and this is utilized for MRA discourse/propaganda, but then private harassed or mocked within the group, discarded. Really, Phoenix, as always, summed up the key points.

Also, there needs to be discourse on who speaks for MRAs/what they are. I admit I'm dismissive of the phrase "Men's Rights" due to the historic connection and weight of the Women's Rights Movement and how it was cemented/revolved around, you know, actual rights to labour, voting, etc where MRAs deal more with gender relations/perception; it seems to feel like talking OVER women and women's rights and freedoms still have a long way to go/are developing, while consequently, some advancements are actually quite recent so while certainly there are valid critiques against iterations of the movement and its effects, as well as how men have been and are being socialized, some hurts heal slowly and I think many MRA groups should have some respect towards that and not turn into their counterparts (i.e. man-hating intrinsically, wanting supremacy, etc). But like feminism itself, it can't be simplified or quantified into one thing. For example, I don't regard Radfem or Liberal/White Feminism as really feminism, though as a man, I guess it's not really up to me to decide anyway. Also there is the issue of diction and communication; while a man might derisively dismiss statements like "trust no man" as misandry when said by a woman (many of whom have male partners and friends and so on), it's more of a sentiment embodying years of shitty experiences and internalized survival culture (direct example is behaviour influenced by dealing with rape culture and history. Like when my parents or grandparents say they don't trust white people, despite having many close friends of the same sort, they say it because the shit my grandparents dealt with (colonialist issues) happened in their lifetime and because 9/11 and the subsequent xenophobia they dealt with is also a recent pain of their's. So why people say what they say and what it actually means should not be discarded because of the how.

Also notions of safe spaces relating to these experiences.

tl;dr more honest discourse is good but it's source, especially emotionally, should be kept in mind of b/c to be honest some feminists are bitchs and some mra dudes are bastards and they use social causes as vehicle for their own problems/hate, sadly

consequently, wouldn't ya know it, social oppression can bring out the worst in people and as such needs to be eliminated and reduced

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards

Misunderstanding/anger stemming from not being on top of the world as opposed to actual sexism
i think that's a really bullshit thing to say. "white men are just angry cos they don't rule the world no more" it's about as ignorant as saying that women love to be victims.

I admit I'm dismissive of the phrase "Men's Rights" due to the historic connection and weight of the Women's Rights Movement and how it was cemented/revolved around, you know, actual rights to labour, voting, etc where MRAs deal more with gender relations/perception;
it also deals with the power imbalance in the family court system. that's a matter of rights.

it seems to feel like talking OVER women and women's rights and freedoms still have a long way to go/are developing
aside from the socially backward Christian influenced public policies that are sporadic, what exactly is an American woman in the 21st century not free to do?

i really, really diddlying hate tumblr feminism. i hate these social justice warriors that keep popping up everywhere. this is the second time a feminist group has crossed the line protesting a talk centred around men's issues at the University of Toronto. i think it's downright disgusting and shameful on their part.

this is the first time they did it

[video=youtube;iARHCxAMAO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iARHCxAMAO0[/video]

i just don't understand why these feminists, these people who say they're fighting for equality, are so scared of a few men sitting down and asking "why suicide rates highest among men?" "why are men at larger risk of violence?" "why do men perpetrate violence?" etc. do they think these talks are some kind of patriarchy meeting?

Last edited:

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
As a female, IMO... There's a limit between wanting for equality for women (me) and just being annoying and disrupting people that are not doing anything to them. I think it's idiotic to disrupt a peaceful meeting that doesn't even have anything to do with Men's equality, but more for ALL gender equality. Not only that, but rude as hell...

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
Shit like this doesn't expedite progress, it hinders it. It's not like this group sat down and said, "Okay, men have lost the power battle, let's see how we can get back on top." They're trying to have a legitimate discussion and they're having to deal with some bullshit radical feminists who can only manage to tell people to shut the diddly up and call them scum. If this radfem group wants to sit down and have a real discussion sometime, then I'm sure everyone would be willing to do so for the sake of progress. Until then, there is literally zero point in taking anything they say seriously. And I say that not as a man, but as a pro-choice and pro-equality human being.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
i really, really diddlying hate tumblr feminism. i hate these social justice warriors that keep popping up everywhere. this is the second time a feminist group has crossed the line protesting a talk centred around men's issues at the University of Toronto. i think it's downright disgusting and shameful on their part.

Couldn't agree more. Most of the time it's impossible to have a real discussion with one without them disregarding what you're saying because you're a "cissexual privileged white male who oppresses women through microagressions taught to them by their own gender". I never want to see the word "privilege" being used in this way again. There's a difference being super-pro women and just hating everyone that isn't a minority so you can have some false moral high ground to stand on.

That aside, there was zero reason to disrupt the meeting in this manner. Pulling the fire alarm just wastes a bunch of people's time.

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
"Yeah, We pulled a fire alarm! Yeah! Equality! Yeah, Fucking scum! Yeah!"

I just hate anyone who believes in any type "extreme" whether it be equality, politics, religion. Being really radical usually isn't the best way to make progress or change. People really need to learn to think logically and approach their resolve with balance and common sense

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
It's ironic that Big Red says feminists care about the same stuff MRA's supposedly do, and they're on the same side. If that's is truly, genuinely the case, where is her anger at the injustice that men are suffering in parts of society? Gee, it's like she's not even going to pretend about it until every possibly little inequality and microagression against women is remedied.

Instead of addressing (or at least acknowledging a concern for) inequalities where they exist or when they pop up, it's "Let's make a ridiculous, bloated anti-harrassment policy for all these conventions because a woman was made uncomfortable in one," or "Rather than getting recognition and equal treatment by our works, let's just storm into the boy's club and assert that our sensitivities should be catered to."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36435

QPUNOyG.png

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

i think that's a really bullshit thing to say. "white men are just angry cos they don't rule the world no more" it's about as ignorant as saying that women love to be victims.

a) if you honestly don't think that that kind of thinking crosses any dude who attends mra meetings or their tone/discourse then you're either delusional/very optimistic or flat-out lying--in what world do people, even decent people, not adjust well to the loss of power, subconciously or otherwise?

b) hahahahahah ok

c) i'm not one to speak as much as a woman is but consequently to me patriarchy does not exist in a vacuum so it's one big heterogeneous mass of issues that intersect with class and sex/gender and history and race (itt tumblr sj warriors do not understand class issues or intersectionality i.e. pragmatic social theory). for example, i think in canada indigenous women have it generally shittier than rich white men but this is of course not solely due to their gender/the fault of the contrasting, more powerful group (gov'ts and corporations loooove the latter, the rest becomes fodder) i mean:

It's ironic that Big Red says feminists care about the same stuff MRA's supposedly do, and they're on the same side. If that's is truly, genuinely the case, where is her anger at the injustice that men are suffering in parts of society? Gee, it's like she's not even going to pretend about it until every possibly little inequality and microagression against women is remedied.

when women consider the militarization of their sisters on-shore as they kill women (and men and children) off-shore as empowerment or fricking thatcher as an icon of women power (which is funny b/c she hated feminism) then that's an issue. of course such support is convenient for THE MAN (c wat i did thar), so.

tl;dr i don't think it's easy to quantify

D

Deleted member 36435

a) if you honestly don't think that that kind of thinking crosses any dude who attends mra meetings or their tone/discourse then you're either delusional/very optimistic or flat-out lying--in what world do people, even decent people, not adjust well to the loss of power, subconciously or otherwise?
I don't think man men alive were at a position where they had this power over woman we had in the past and then suddenly lost it once they received equal rights. I don't think these meetings comprise of men who are 90 years old and have their panties in a twist because that woman he was legally allowed to beat can now vote. I don't have the sense that I've lost power at all, I never experienced that power over woman and I doubt many people in 'MURICA have.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

I don't think man men alive were at a position where they had this power over woman we had in the past and then suddenly lost it once they received equal rights. I don't think these meetings comprise of men who are 90 years old and have their panties in a twist because that woman he was legally allowed to beat can now vote.

Sorry, let me clarify: I think as gender roles become less obvious and operating in black-and-white, people have had trouble adjusting, especially when raised by people who were alive for days when such were more stark, and developing new ideas of masculinity have lead to a sort of displacement? In any case I have literally met dudes who wish it was the '60s again for really assholish reasons regarding women so I think that's a bit idealistic to say that none of the men there think like that; and in fact it is a progression of losing power, gaining some, gaining a new place, which has resulted in some negative feelings among some people. To think otherwise seems silly to me: people like easy-to-follow roles that benefit them, people like power, and so on. Perhaps I'm pessimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back