• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

R.E.M. - Reality, Existence, Mentality [Sign-up/OOC]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Argenteus

Yes, he needs to be touching an organism to alter it. In theory, he could later learn to program a bacteria to do it for him (on a massive scale even, he could alter an entire city's genetics with the right trait). But no organism I know of alters the host's genetics, and thus none he knows of.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Yes, he needs to be touching an organism to alter it. In theory, he could later learn to program a bacteria to do it for him (on a massive scale even, he could alter an entire city's genetics with the right trait). But no organism I know of alters the host's genetics, and thus none he knows of.
Retroviruses can alter the genetic makeup within host cells, but so far as I know it doesn't affect the nucleus. The original blueprint is always retained, even if the bits around it get altered.

Argenteus

OK. I guess it's probably for the best for now, don't want him getting TOO overpowered.

Ashes Remnant

It's All Crazy! It's All False!
Alrighty, I already have one character who won't be so active, but I'd like to have a character in the fray as well. SINCE you totally said we could have two, I'mma make an active one as well. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. :D

Reality is but a prison

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
We'll be starting the roleplay tomorrow, to give everyone—myself included—one more day to finish up your templates.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
I don't think so. I was part of my high school's photo stuff, but I didn't really feel like I was part of the staff or anything. It might be different for Devon, but he's still part of the student body.

Chromatic

Become
Awards
I know my recent track record around here is sketchy as far as activity, but I'm honestly looking to get back into the mix. Is this remaining for new players?

FairSovereign

Oh NO!!! You reopened it and I was unprepared!!! I shall have my Profile up in Five Seconds.

1!

"Reality is but a prison."

Name:
Dorethea Bolton

Abilities:The Reaper

It began with a simple intuition. An awareness of mortality that strayed beyond that of any normal human being. Dorethea could sense when people were going to die. It began when she felt the life flowing out of a sickly young girl during her time working in the town hospital. After that, she became capable of detecting the deaths of all terminally ill patients long before the doctors could. It then evolved to the point where she could detect a person’s life span simply by standing near them. Eventually she even gained the ability to be aware of all living things. No one could sneak up on her anymore. It was as if she could sense the life within a person. The source of this phenomenon is unknown to her, but what is clear is that this awareness is actually a small piece of something far greater.

What Dorethea doesn’t know is that she was born with a tremendous power. Dorethea is capable of manipulating the very forces that allow life to exist, the energy source that is the origin of all living things. Her body is a conduit for raw life force energy, being capable of drawing it from and granting it to all living things. The effects of life force manipulation are barely understood, but some abilities that will become available to her are Energy Projection and Solidification, Physical Enhancements, Enhanced Lifespan, Healing (Self and Others), Life Drain(Most effective via touch), and Life Detection (As is currently being used, though without any control.) In theory, she could even bring those who are dead back to life, though it is uncertain whether she will ever achieve such control over her powers.

Appearance:
Dorethea is not a beauty by any typical respect, but neither is she unattractive. Her physical flaws are charmingly balanced by her positive features, suggesting a unique and natural splendor. Her hair is rather thin and wispy; taking on a seemingly ethereal quality when the wind blows it about; it is silver and shiny like threads of starlight. Her skin is remarkably pale, almost to a degree that might seem off putting, and yet, combined with her hair it serves to grant her an eerie sort of allure. Her most remarkable features are her eyes, which are a shade of sea green so bright, as to almost seem luminescent. At the same time, she isn’t very curvaceous, retaining the body of a young girl, though admittedly, quite a bit taller. Standing at 5’2, she appears to be very frail, giving off an air of delicacy. In actuality, she is very flexible and agile, having spent much of her youth tumbling and running about in her parent’s gardens, and practicing gymnastics with private instructors (though eventually she was forced to stop her lessons). In a way, her thin and streamlined frame makes her more capable of preforming these feats of acrobatics.

Personality:
Dorethea Bolton is not well liked by the people of Pleasington due to her family background. As the daughter of one of the richest families in city, she is often regarded with a great deal of scorn borne out of the people’s intense dislike for her parents, who are immensely vain, regarding most other citizens of the city with contempt. Dorethea on the other hand, is quite the opposite, wishing she could be more like the people of the town. Most of the time, she is privately tutored at home, and very rarely does she interact with other people her age. At most, her exchanges with the other towns folk equate to receiving insults and jibes, of which she has long since stopped taking to heart. The girl doesn’t begrudge their insults, for she believes they are justified. Though she keeps it hidden, she too holds within her a powerful hatred for her parents; especially her father who keeps her cloistered within his large grim manor like a miser does with his money. It took a great deal of pleading to convince her father to allow her to work at the hospital, and even then it is under supervision.

Dorethea can often be found in her parents gardens. It is the only place where she truly feels at home. She feels a deep connection to the earth midst the many plants and small creatures that feed off of the planet’s energy source. There is a certain chain of life that she now is more in tune with than ever, and it almost seems that in the center of that garden she is more aware of the life force of the world than anywhere else.

Dorethea is very inexperienced with social interaction. As a result, the young lady is rather refined and taken aback by bawdy language, though she can occasionally be bawdy herself. The girl is quiet, and timid, which is often mistaken for shyness, though in truth, she feels perfectly comfortable around other people on the few occasions she manages to engage in public activities. When one is teased on a regular basis they either curl up and cry about it, or they callous up, and of course, Dorethea did the latter.

Dorethea is a caregiver. Ever since she was very little, Dorethea has had a great deal of compassion for all living things, and feels great loss even when those she doesn't know are harmed or killed by twists of fate. This trait has propelled her to take up nursing and hospital care practices, under the supervision of her mother who is a surgeon. Though, Dorethea's mother often chides her on wasting time catering to the wants and feelings of the ill, when the doctors know what is best of their patients.

Biography:
Dorethea was born not in the town hospital, but in Bolton Manor. She was delivered by a midwife whom the Boltons called in from out of town. Dorethea was born prematurely, and the midwife assumed that she would be too weak to survive as she appeared very feeble. Against the odds however, and much to the astonishment of the midwife, she eventually grew healthy.

During her youth, Dorethea had frequent brushes with death. It began during her fourth year of life when she was nearly taken by an asthma attack. The doctors feared that she would suffer brain damage from the time she went without proper oxygen flow, but the girl seemed fine once the proper procedures were administered. The physicians who resuscitated Dorethea marveled at her physical resilience despite appearing so fragile. Since that day, she met with other near accidents, such as nearly drowning in a lake, nearly being hit by a car, and a couple other similar instances.

Not all of her run ins with mortality were personal. Through her mother, a surgeon, Dorethea was frequently exposed to reports of fatally ill patients, and of failed attempts to save an injured individual. Death became a very personal and intimate part of her life. To Dorethea, this familiarity and understanding of death served to enlighten her and to help her develop compassion for living things, but for her parents it made them paranoid and overly controlling. They kept their daughter more or less imprisoned within their large manor, preventing her from endangering herself and from enjoying life.

For years, she left the manor only in the company of her parents, and even then it was rare. Other people her age viewed her as pampered, but in truth, she hated her life, finding solace in only her small freedoms within the grounds. Eventually, she became fed up with her entrapment, so she argued with her parents to let her out of the house. Though she didn't attain true freedom, she managed to convince her mother to let her work at the hospital under light supervision. It was soon after she began working there that she began to feel her manifest in their earliest forms. To this day she works a the hospital, training her senses, knowing little where they come from.

Last edited:

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
I'm a little hesitant with the aspect of drawing actual life out of someone, but as long as you use it responsibly (and perhaps limit the ability to touch), then I think you'll be fine.

Otherwise, you'll have to take a quick peak at the rules and edit your template accordingly before I can accept you.

FairSovereign

Alterations have been made Omni! :) Also, when drawing life out of things, how about that she has to touch humans to do it, but when it comes to plants and non-sentient being she can pull it out via willpower.

Argenteus

Why should humans be treated any differently than animals? If anything, something like a bear or elephant would be far harder to sap the life out of than a smaller human. Or if smaller is better, then insects and small animals would be far harder.

FairSovereign

I mainly meant plants, insects and etc. when I referred to non-sentient beings lol~. Size would indeed matter and you are correct in assuming that a large creature would be harder to drain than a large human~. I simply implied meant to imply that insects and plants were easy enough to drain that touch was not a necessity, where as humans and animals would be difficult and only drainable via touch. I misused the word sentient in this case~

Argenteus

Conscious would have been a better word, as that applies to both humans and animals. Even that is tenuous, as some recent research suggests that plants have a basic form of consciousness, and even bacteria have a little. But humans are basically the most conscious beings we know of yet, so if consciousness is the issue I can see where your going. Also, your character should make a very interesting counterbalance to mine. Crate weaves and alters life by manipulating biology, yours heals and hurts it with what sounds a bit like Chi. I can sense epicness coming.

Last edited:

FairSovereign

That is very true! We both pretty much make up to sides of the same coin. You also operate from a more scientific perspective, while Dorethea works from the Mysticism side of mortality. Our powers would also fortify each others very nicely. Also, yes consciousness is what I was going for. I almost want to say willpower is the key aspect. In DnD terms, *laughs*, the enemy makes a will save against draining. If they succeed, they take half damage, if they fail, they take full damage. Animals have less of a chance of success, and plant have no will to speak of, thus have no saving throw. And that is my nerdy explanation for the day. XD

Taim

Hi, its been a while since I've roleplayed but I want to get back into it and I hope you will have me.

"reality is but a prison"

Name: Joey Graves

Ability: Memories
It started small. Joey just knew things he shouldn't have. He stopped failing tests because the answers just came to him. These changes kinda freaked him out but he couldn't really complain because they were helping him. One day some kids from school cornered joey and started shoving him. One of the kids said "He won't fight back he will just run away... just like his dad." Right then something came over Joey and the next thing he knew the kids were lying on the ground unconscious. Without even realizing it Joey had preformed advanced martial arts techniques and subdued the bullies. His new powers were starting to worry and confuse him but so far nothing bad had really come from them. Then the memories came. Joey began to have flashbacks of other men's lives. These men were all Military of some kind be it modern soldiers or ancient warriors. Most of them seemed to be important or high ranked. Lately Joey has been having a hard time telling these memories from his own...

Appearance: Joey is a 6'4" 200 pound kid. He has dark brown hair cut fairly short with his bangs spiked. He has deep green eyes and a very slight tan. There are signs of facial hair occasionally depending on if He shaved that day. There is very little fat and very toned muscles on his body. His facial expressions often come across like he is unsure of himself. He is most often seen wearing dark blue jeans and a black collared shirt unbuttoned over a white tee.

I will work on the template more later. Thanks.

Last edited:

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Consider me still following the roleplay, I just see no reason currently to post unless I were to do something that might wildly overstep the plans or expectations for start-of-roleplay actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back