• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

R.E.M. - Reality, Existence, Mentality [Sign-up/OOC]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
REMBanner.png

R.E.M.
{Reality, Existence, Mentality}

(Special thanks to Orion and Ordeith for letting me bounce ideas off them and to Superbia for the wonderful banners.)

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubtful, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before." - Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven"

| 🌻 |

Sunflowers. Vast fields of them. Far as the eye can see, and further still. A sea of bright yellow and the greenest of greens, flowing gently under a bright blue sky lined with fluffy, white clouds. A heavenly light washed down upon them, breaking the clouds with an aura of brilliance paralleled by nought. And among them, swaying to the gentle breeze of a cool, spring wind, I stood.

Though I stood, I stood not as one of them. I stood taller, much taller, where as the flowers tickled between my toes. A giant among their empty, brown faces, teetering like a thin tree grown too high, my senses grew wide and short, flirting with the total loss of control. Upon my head sat a great crown, one of the brightests of reds.

"Isn't he a LOVELY sight?" a voice rang out, coming from nowhere and everywhere at once. It was as if all the flowers had cried in unison. "Fit to snore his head off!"

Then I fell, dropping, twirling through the sea of yellow and green. The world grew large--or I grew small--and my crown became as a cherry. I fell and fell, shapes, colors, and feelings all giving way to darkness. Deep, empty, darkness. Then I woke up.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
{ About }

RealityBannerSmall.png

Welcome to Pleasington, a small community roughly thirty-five miles outside the greater Albany area of New York. The small town of roughly four thousand has only one school district, one hospital, and one jail, the latter of which is rarely used. The town is praised for its beautiful scenery that hugs the edge of the town.

More importantly than the town itself, is eighteen year old Chris Russell, a high school senior not much unlike any other boy his age. Except, that is, for one important fact: Chris has the power to warp and manipulate the threads of reality around him. Unbeknownst to him, reality shifts upon the boy's whim or wish. None of the citizens of Pleasington notice the shifts in reality, at least, they weren't supposed to.

Among the students and staff at Jefferson High School, a few have begun noticing small, subtle changes around campus, all of which point back to Chris in some way or form. Thought to be nothing more than mere coincidence at first, the evidence countinues to pile up one after the other. Furthermore, none of the other students or staff are able to notice these changes that are occurring around them. Whether they can see what others cannot or if they are simply crazy has yet to be seen.

Stranger still are the sudden influx of reports of men being spotted around town dressed from head to toe in black. These men have reportedly been seen standing near the high school, unmoving, for hours upon end. However, whenever an officer goes to investigate, the men are gone.

With all these events gathering together and threatening to push the small town of Pleasington past its boiling point, the world is about to be thrown into chaos as everything changes.

| �� |​

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
{ Affiliations }

ExistenceBannerSmall.png

• Jefferson High - Among the students and staff of the school, there are those who have noticed strange occurrences connected to senior Chris Russell. What was thought to be pure coincidence soon turned to knowing as the occurrences continued and those who see the changes decide to gather, wondering what to do next.

• "The Agents" - The men in black spotted around town, these strangers, referred to as "agents" by some, have suddenly appeared with the increase of reality shifts. No one knows who they are or what they want, but everyone agrees that these men's sudden appearance can bring nothing but problems.

| �� |

{ Cast }

Character Name | Roleplayer | Age | Gender
Christopher Russell | OmniChaos | 18 | Male
Thyme "Sage" Braddock | Ordeith | 23 | Female

| �� |​

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
{ Information }

MentalityBannerSmall.png

• 1. Powers & Abilities
    In the roleplay, your characters will begin to develope powers to help in the battles to come. These powers, set on by a shift in reality, begin subtly at first, but will grow with time. Put thought into these abilities, because simplistic, elemental abilities such as "fire" or "electricity" will be rejected unless they can be incorporated originally.

| 🌻 |

{ Rules }

1. God-modding and powerplaying are prohibited.

2. Romance is allowed, but keep it within forum standards.

3. The roleplay will be mature in nature, so keep that in mind when making a template.

4. Keep all discovered powers, abilities, and skills within a reasonable range.

5. I reserve the right to deny any template or person and may remove any roleplayer from the roleplay if deemed necessary.

6. Post "Reality is but a prison" above your template if you have read and agree to follow the listed rules.

| 🌻 |

{ Template }

Name:
(Self-explanatory)

Abilities:
(See the information section)

Appearance:
(More than just a picture)

Personality:
(Put more than minimum effort into this)

Biography:
(Two paragraph minimum)

Extra:
(Anything else)

| 🌻 |​

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
Unless a flood of posting follows, I'll be editing this post with my character templates.

To all those looking at this thread: Join, you sillies! I can vouch for this roleplay's quality.
You'll just need to watch it unfold at the same rate that your characters do...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: My first template may need a bit of trimming before I continue, but is still looking good in the meantime.
I don't think I've ever created and developed a proper female character before. A shame, I say!

"Reality is but a prison."

Name: Thyme “Sage” Braddock

Abilities: Sage entertains herself through drawing, painting, and playing the piano; the last is only a hobby, but she is very skilled at all three. Sometimes, she gets so lost in her work/play that it seems hours have ticked by—yet when she checks the clock, only about twenty minutes have passed. Though she does not realize it, Sage has the tendency to produce small "time pockets" around her person, in which time flows faster than her surroundings.

Usually it happens at home in her apartment, when nobody else is affected. In the presence of others, however, she would appear to move like a video in fast-forward—while she would perceive everything as being slow. Sage has no control over this phenomenon; at the moment, it is totally random.

Appearance: Sage stands at about 5’5”, with a short torso, and relatively long limbs and fingers (the latter from being a pianist). Her face has a definitely impish quality about it—round, with a delicately pointed chin; large green-brown eyes; a wide, talkative mouth; a smallish, upturned nose. Her brown, wavy hair reaches a ways past shoulder length, in a messier, freer version of the "Zooey Deschenel haircut". She can easily be called “pretty” or “cute”, but never “sexy” or “beautiful”—and Sage is perfectly fine with that. She likes to present a clean, attractive image, but would rather her appearance be a non-factor than a dominating factor.

In terms of attire, Sage prefers to dress casually—but dress well. Flowing, blouse-y garments give her a free range of movement, while sweaters are comfortable and warm. Despite being a natural fit for skinny jeans (and despite owning a few pairs), Sage favors jeans with a wide flared leg, in colors including but not limited to navy blue. Her chosen footwear is either flat, comfortable shoes—or boots that offer easy support.

Personality: Sage is a young woman forever caught between fact and fancy; called to be an artist, she uses drawing and music as a channel for both.

Sympathizing with fact is her commercial work, most of which is laden with social commentary. In reaction to her parents’ strange Victorian ways, Sage has become quite the outspoken liberal, using humor and wit to effectively spread ideas. She loves to allow her mind to roam through images and words, finding all the clever ways they can be juxtaposed. The public artist—Sage Braddock—is known equally for drawing, humor, and a kind of social activism. (She adores her Internet following.)

Engaged in debate with someone, she can sometimes push too hard, and use too much of an edge with her words. Whereas her parents taught her only to be content with silence, college made her feel comfortable with being outspoken—but didn’t teach her any sort of moderation. Sometimes, the persona of Sage Braddock gets out of hand, taking a while to reel back in . . .

Then she steps away from wit, humor, and reason—and sympathizes only with the heart for a while.
For a while, she simply lets herself feel. Sage takes a rest, and Thyme can stretch her limbs.

Alone in her apartment, Thyme will wander across a canvas or the keys of a piano, loosing whatever emotion has a hold of her. Insecurity, dissatisfaction, loneliness, homesickness, anger . . . Each is given a piece of its own. Thyme believes that regular emotional outpouring is the best thing for a healthy psyche, but hates to involve others in it. Instead of risking embarrassment in front of another person, she “speaks” to her art. With this personal art and music, Thyme can express the contents of her heart without saying a single word.

It’s important to note that both “Sage” and “Thyme” are genuine expressions of the same person; each just expresses a different part, seemingly incompatible with the other.

Biography: Sage is the unfortunate daughter of Basil and Rosemary Braddock, known as one of the oddest couples in Pleasington. For whatever reason, the two speak and behave like Victorian gentlefolk, with Victorian ideals. This is no exaggeration. Their dialect is completely archaic, and both feel scandalized at little more than an ankle’s worth of exposed skin. Basil and Rosemary are, therefore, in a perpetual state of feeling offended—not the best environment for a budding child.

Little Thyme was a very well-spoken child for her age, partly because her parents preached grammar from nineteenth-century handbooks. She was taught politeness, decorum, and modesty, and wore the closest modern equivalent to a child’s frock. Rosemary taught her to play Chopin on the piano. The house’s lone television was strictly forbidden, so she received little exposure to any world beyond her parents’ Victorian fantasy. Thyme was home-schooled until about third grade, until her mother fell ill for a long stretch of time, eventually forcing her to be enrolled in public school . . .

There, Thyme experienced the rude awakening expected by her parents. She was struck by classrooms packed full of children her age—dressed in unfamiliar clothes, making references to unfamiliar things, using unfamiliar words, and learning unfamiliar concepts. The teachers tried to be receptive, but most of the other children just snubbed the strange, pale girl who “talked weird”.

Despite numerous episodes requiring Thyme be taken home, Rosemary was not well enough to care for her—and Basil suddenly felt confident in his decision to place Thyme in public school. It would do her some benefit, he thought, to be around other children. So Thyme stayed, even after her mother’s episode had passed.

And, bit by bit, she came to learn the real world . . .
By the time she had arrived at Jefferson High School, Thyme had reached a crossroads in her development.

Her parents thought that college was an unnecessary step for a young woman—but art had given Thyme a path to a scholarship. Through some careful bending of the truth, she convinced them to send her to study art in college. There, she experienced a sudden awakening—thrust into the current of diverse opinions that was life on campus. Her first year was a rush of excitement and learning, in which she adopted the name “Sage”; her second year was a hedonistic splurge that taught her some moderation; and her remaining two years helped solidify her identity.

Rather than return home, Sage moved into an Albany apartment, and began a career as an artist.
Since then, she hasn’t looked back . . . until a letter from her parents convinced Sage to visit Pleasington for a few days, and hopefully smoothen the rough patches in their relationship. She can only hope, at this point...

Extra: Sage's Theme / Basil & Rosemary's Theme

FairSovereign

I will be joining this for sure! Will post my profile soon~

EDIT:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards

Name:
Christopher Russell​

Abilities:
  • Reality, Existence, Mentality: Everything that has ever been, everything that will ever be; everything that is, that has shape and form; every thought, urge, or incentive; all of it, everything, can be changed by Chris's simple wish. Past, present, and future gives way to his word. Those which are not are given life, while those who are are snuffed from ever being by a simple thought. Kingdoms rise and empires fall by a simple wave of his wrist. Chris is a human god whose playground is the world, if, that is, he knew his own power.

Appearance:
Standing at an even six foot, Chris sports a large-framed body kept in good shape from general exercise. Atop his head sits a crown of dirty-blond hair, which reaches down and covers his ears, curling forward at the ends, with bangs that hang just above his eyes. From beneath his hair, a pair of brown--so dark, they're almost black--eyes stare out at the world around him. A slight stubble runs along his chin.​

Personality:
(Put more than minimum effort into this)

Biography:
(Two paragraph minimum)

Extra:

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Urbane

Who in face are you?!
This post will be edited at a later date.

*hinthint* I'm very interested. *hinthint*

megatron532

Website
www.youtube.com
"Reality is but a prison"

Name: Micah Brady

Abilities: Micah has the curious ability to alter other people's sensory perception, as well as his own. Micah doesn't know how long he's had this ability, but he first noticed when he was twelve. He was climbing a tree, chasing after his friend Ryan, when the branch he reached for had broken and he fell seven feet to the ground, landing on his leg. At first, it hurt the way it would for anyone else, but soon the pain was numbed. Not completely gone, he could stil feel it there, but it had become significantly more bearable. At the hospital, he overheard the doctor call it an anomaly that he couldn't feel it, because the arm was certainly broken. While there, he tested his newfound ability, discovering he could turn it on or off. Over the past four years, he has discovered he can numb pain, as well as magnify it in himself and others. He can also extend his ability to the other four senses, changing the taste of tuna to chocolate, the smell of school bathrooms to that of a scented candle, create illusions, generate sounds that aren't really there, as well as cut off any of the five senses entirely. His powers have recently started evolving in ways that allow Micah to alter people's perception of time or space, which he uses to make waiting an hour feel like minutes. Note that he isn't actually changing anything, just the way it's perceived. For example, with the tuna thing, while to him it tastes like chocolate, it would still taste like tuna to someone else unless he actively altered their perception, as well.

Appearance: Micah stands at 5' 10" and weighs 159 lbs. He has a lean-muscular build, and his body is covered in various cuts, scrapes, scars, and bruises. His most noticeable scar is a knife mark across the bridge of his nose he got while trying to juggle knives. Micah's skin is pale, as it is very difficult for him to tan due to his Irish heritage, which also gifts him with a face full of freckles and reddish-brown hair, which usually rests at about mid-neck height and typically brushed out of his eyes. His eyes are a green-blue color and seem to glow wildly with energy. Micah's usual outfit consists of faded balck jeans, converse high-top sneakers, and a white t-shirt that fits his body perfectly, making this his favorite t-shirt which also means it is covered in small tears and sewn up holes. In the colder months, he wears a gray plaid flannel jacket with a hood.

Personality: Micah, despite pulling a GPA above 4 and taking many honors classes, makes many life-threatening decisions. His friends, family, and teachers, as well as people who know him only by name, can tell you that he is a wild, fun-loving daredevil. For Micah's sixteenth birthday, his parents took him skydiving, and he loved every second of it. His hobbies include things like skateboarding, rockclimbing, swimming, biking, and playing physical sports such as american football, hockey, and lacrosse. Micah is one who enjoys being outside and physical activity, and only partakes in activities such as video games or watching TV after many hours of exercise. Micah can be described as a fearless individual, to the point that he is incredibly reckless. In fact, the only thing that frightens Micah is emotional pain, because he can't turn that kind of pain off. Micah is a strong-willed individual and hot-headed, arguments quickly turn into fistfights with him, and he hates losing a fight. Truthfully, Micah hates losing overall, and he'll often throw a game of chess or checkers across the rooms if he sees he can't win. Despite this, he is a generally light-hearted individual who is fun to be around.

Biography: Micah was born to Nicole and Kenneth Brady on a warm April afternoon in Princeton, New Jersey. His family lived on the Jersey Shore until he was thirteen, when they moved to where they currently reside. Before the discovery of his ability, Micah was a quiet boy who wore thick-rimmed glasses and combed his hair neatly. But upon the realization of his powers, he tossed aside his glasses, instead using his abilities to see better, and started taking part in risky behaviors and becoming more wild. Wherever he goes in town, his reputation precedes him. The quiet boy who liked to read and study is still in him, though, which he benefits from by being prone to work hard and study a lot in school.
Micah has two sisters: his older sister Ariel, is eighteen and loves the fine arts, she is redheaded and short, and is a very calm, peaceful person. When Micah was fourteen Ariel was in a car accident and was in critical condition. Micah was in the crash with her and blamed himself for distracting her. Though she pulled through, Micah had never been so afraid in his life. His younger sister, Phoebe, is fourteen, she is a few inches shorter than Micah, taller than Ariel by a few inches. She has dark brown hair and is afraid of almost everything. Phoebe isn't as smart as her older siblings and very heavily relies on them for help and support. Micah feels responsible for both his sisters, and would do anything for them. He would even die for them if it came down to it.

Extra:
-His favorite movie is Chronicle
-His favorite Tv show is Supernatural
-His favorite band is Linkin Park

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Just popping in to apologize on the delay on my end. I've been somewhat busy. However, I'm going to get the ball rolling again.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
I hope this hasn't been overshadowed by other RP happenings, because R.E.M. has the potential to be one of the section's major events.

Awards
If it is still alive, I was thinking of joining actually. I'll have a Template up soon.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
If it is still alive, I was thinking of joining actually. I'll have a Template up soon.

Knowing OmniChaos, it's most definitely alive.
Besides, he has resuscitated plenty of my roleplays; it's only fair that I return the favor.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Again, I apologize. I've over stretched myself a bit with projects, and it seems R.E.M. was the one to suffer. Anyways, I plan to direct more attention here, so everyone get back to your templates.

FairSovereign

I'm also still here, but I've been on vacation, and I only had time to finish up my story fragment for Fables. I shall now finish this dear character~~

Endless Strategy

I finally figured out which direction I want to take my character template, so might you answer a few questions I have?

1: How far exactly are our characters in the progression of our powers? Have they even begun to manifest yet?

2: You mentioned something about the students taking note of the distortions around Chris. Does that mean any of them are aware that he is causing them? What are these distortions like exactly?

3: If the distortions are subtle and mostly invisible, I can see how it could escape people's notice. However, what of the abilities? It seems rather impossible to cover up something like a time bubble, and you think people would want to share word on something like that.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
1: How far exactly are our characters in the progression of our powers? Have they even begun to manifest yet?

Apart from those with whom I have discussed, the character's abilities should just bearly be manifesting.

2: You mentioned something about the students taking note of the distortions around Chris. Does that mean any of them are aware that he is causing them? What are these distortions like exactly?

Some might, others might not. Depends if they are able to put the pieces together.

Depends on the size of the reality shift. Some could be subtle, like color changes and whatnot, while others could go to the extreme, such as rewriting the past, and others even further, some completely changing everything.

3: If the distortions are subtle and mostly invisible, I can see how it could escape people's notice. However, what of the abilities? It seems rather impossible to cover up something like a time bubble, and you think people would want to share word on something like that.

Except they aren't all subtle. Anyways, apart from those with abilities, everyone else's perception of reality shifts whenever Chris alters it, meaning whenever Chris erases something from existence, it'll have never existed in the minds of anyone apart from those who are special.

As for most of the abilities, they'd rarely be used in public, and if they were, Chris could always end up altering it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back