• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Questions about time travel/dreams and whatnot

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeyril

I have a few questions about DDD. (Who doesn't lol)
I'm hoping someone will know some of the answers to them or at least be able to come up with something that makes sense.

1) They say it over and over: "in order to travel through time, you must first leave your body behind." So how do Sora and Riku travel back to Destiny Islands?

2) I'm assuming they both look younger because at the very beginning, they're not in the real Destiny Islands, but in the RoS. But why is Rikus hair shorter than it was in KH1?

3) When Sora first gets to TWTNW, is he in the real world or in his own dream of it? I assume Riku ends up in Soras dream of TWTNW before ending up I'm the real one, but does sora start off in the real one? And if he does, why does he still look younger?

4) Basically I'm completely lost about Soras progression in TWTNW. As he goes through and experiences the "dreams" (Destiny islands, traverse town, meeting Roxas and others) and ends up fighting Xemnas, what later of sleep is he in, and when? Is there ever a point where he could've run into Riku in his own dream?

5) what causes them to look older again once they get to the mysterious tower?

6) when Riku dives and fights Ventus armor, is that considered to be in soras heart or in his dream?

i love the plot of this game, it's one of my favorites cuz it's so interesting, but I'd really like to sort these points out

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I think I might be able to answer some of your questions.

When Sora first gets to TWTNW, is he in the real world or in his own dream of it? I assume Riku ends up in Soras dream of TWTNW before ending up I'm the real one, but does sora start off in the real one? And if he does, why does he still look younger?

When Sora enters to The World That Never Was for the first time, he is in the real world. Nomura said in interview that when the worlds logo appears in TWTNW, it is a sign that the character is in the real world. If I remember correctly Sora`s(and Rikus partly) appearance is due to Yen Sids magic, and it wears off when they return to Mysterious Tower. That is why they look old again.

4) Basically I'm completely lost about Soras progression in TWTNW. As he goes through and experiences the "dreams" (Destiny islands, traverse town, meeting Roxas and others) and ends up fighting Xemnas, what later of sleep is he in, and when? Is there ever a point where he could've run into Riku in his own dream?

I think Sora goes trough a different layer of sleep, falling deeper and deeper to an abyss like Riku says. The first layer of sleep is the same where Riku is, so I think that is way Riku sees Sora there, trapped inside of a bubble. Sora goes deeper and deeper until he is even close to darkness in some sense. Also because he is so deep in the dream world, he can interact with his subconscious(a.k.a the deep memories buried in his heart), so that is why he sees people like Xion and Roxas there.
KHInsider once had a thread were they presented an marvelous diagram about the layers of Sora`s sleep. I try to find it later.
I think it is more about the layers sleep, or that is how I understood it.

6) when Riku dives and fights Ventus armor, is that considered to be in soras heart or in his dream?
I think since Sora`s heart station is there, it is Soras heart.

i love the plot of this game, it's one of my favorites cuz it's so interesting, but I'd really like to sort these points out

Yeah. DDD can be a little confusing, but it is my second favorite KH game of all time. :) To get a more better answer for the time travel stuff, I highly suggest watching KHInsiders Gaming Mysteries video about it. You can find it from the front page.
Hope I managed to answer even some of your questions. :)

Last edited:

Xeyril

I saw the video lol
i was really hoping they would address sora and Riku going to destiny islands WITH their bodies, but I guess not :(
Yeah, I would think that sora went through several layers of sleep, but Xigbar says specifically "a second sleep" so idk.
And I would also think the same thing as you since Riku saw sora in the bubble, but as sora went through the dreams, he was in destiny islands or traverse town, and whenever he was in TWTNW, it was either the real world, or the lowest layer where he fought Xemnas, while Riku had to be somewhere between those two layers. (Unless sora doesn't start out in the real WTNW, but in his own dream on the same level as Riku. But I'm really thinking it WAS the real one)
That chart sounds amazing omg. I hope you can find it, I'll look for it too.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I have a few questions about DDD. (Who doesn't lol)
I'm hoping someone will know some of the answers to them or at least be able to come up with something that makes sense.

1) They say it over and over: "in order to travel through time, you must first leave your body behind." So how do Sora and Riku travel back to Destiny Islands?

2) I'm assuming they both look younger because at the very beginning, they're not in the real Destiny Islands, but in the RoS. But why is Rikus hair shorter than it was in KH1?

3) When Sora first gets to TWTNW, is he in the real world or in his own dream of it? I assume Riku ends up in Soras dream of TWTNW before ending up I'm the real one, but does sora start off in the real one? And if he does, why does he still look younger?

5) what causes them to look older again once they get to the mysterious tower?

Ok, let's tackle this. ;)

1)
Sora and Riku do not travel by themselves or use their own time travel powers.
They were send through time by Yen Sid and Yen Sid stayed in the present. it is also shown with Merlin in KH 2 that powerful wizards like him and Yen Sid can use a different method of time travel.
The discarding your body-rule applies if you want to time-travel by yourself, which is exactly what Xehanort (or more specifically, Ansem SoD as the Robed Figure and Young Xehanort) are doing.

2)
They look younger because Yen Sid reverted their forms back to how they were when they first came into contact with the Keyblade. It's in order for them to start "with a clean slate" as Yen Sid puts it in order to learn Keyblade Wielding the correct way.
As for why Riku's hair is shorter, when you watch the cutscenes where Riku is in his older, KH 2-form he has the short hair too. The simple answer is that Riku decided to get a haircut.

3)
Indeed, in TWTNW, Sora starts out in the real world where he talks with Xigbar. Once Young Xehanort does his "come with me"-statement it turns into a dream world again. Riku is the opposite, he starts out in the dream version and enters the real one after he defeats Ansem SoD. Everything afterwards with the gathering of the Xehanorts etc. takes place in the real world.
Riku and Sora do not look younger because of the dream worlds, as mentioned in answer 2) it is Yen Sid's magic that makes them look like that and it won't change until the requirements of the MoM-exam are met.

4) It's just like in the film "Inception". Sora was made to fall asleep again inside his dream to go into a deeper layer (that happens in the dream Traverse down when he reaches that door). Riku remained in the first layer all the time, that's why he eventually finds Sora floating in that bubble and can see the "dreams" he has, which also counts as "meeting him" technically. Riku never entered the second layer and instead tried to goad Sora into waking up.

5) As mentioned in 3), it has to do with the goals of the exam. The goals Yen Sid set was to open seven sleeping Keyholes and then return to the Mysterious Tower. Once these conditions are met, Yen Sids magic wears off and they return to their true forms.

6) It's sort of both. The whole scenario takes place in Sora's heart as is seen earlier with his heart station and Ven's heart being there to lend Sora his armor, but since Sora's heart is trapped in a very strong nightmare (the same one that possessed Ven's armor and fought against Riku) it is also a dream of sorts.

Xeyril

Okay, thank you, that makes a lot of sense. My only remaining "complaint" would be rikus hair lol. Sure he cut it in the real world, but why would yen Sid change rikus KH1 form but not soras?
i realize it's probably just cuz SE wanted him to have shorter hair, but it bothers me a bit lol.

And about the scene where sora falls asleep in traverse town, does that imply that he falls asleep EVERY time he drops? And the TWEWY characters make it even more confusing. Were there really 2 sides of traverse town? I was assuming they just didn't know what they were talking about and the "other side" was just soras dream, where Riku was. Also, how is sora dreaming while seemingly awake?

which also makes me wonder what Xigbar meant "if you finished your test then why are you still wearing those clothes? You are not gonna wake up, okay?" But sora WAS awake, right? While... Dreaming?

Anagram

Banned
which also makes me wonder what Xigbar meant "if you finished your test then why are you still wearing those clothes? You are not gonna wake up, okay?" But sora WAS awake, right? While... Dreaming?

I think it would be more like lucid dreaming maybe?

Xeyril

Also, if they were using the same method of time travel as in KH2, then why would Xigbar say "you were able to travel back in time only because a past version of you already existed there"?
in kh2 I that might be true for Donald and goofy, but I assume sora wasn't born during the time of timeless river

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back