• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Question about the Trinity

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I know Christians have varying views on the matter and some reject this concept entirely, so I have to ask something on the topic.

1) Do you believe in three seperate, different entities, all co-related in some way that make up the 'God' of Christianity?

or

2) Do you believe these three beings are essentially differement manifestations of the something of your God all at one time, akin to Hinduism for example?

Because I always thought it was the latter but apparently I'm wrong?

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
Atheist but raised in a Catholicism-saturated environment.

I always thought it was the former.

Superschlock

Don't you step out of line
Awards
I believe they're all different forms of the same God. i.e. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I believe they're all different forms of the same God. i.e. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit

Hrm yes most Western Christians accept the belief that there is God, then his Son, and that one Holy Spirit fella. The Trinity, and so on.

However, this belief also depends on your Christian denomination, if my assumption is correct.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
The Trinity is difficult to explain. Christians believe in one God but there are different parts that make up God.

Like humans are made of a body, mind, and soul. God is made of the father, son (Sometimes refered to as the word), and holy ghost. I think this is what God meant when he said "Let us make man in our image"

When the trinity sent God sent the son/word into Marry's womb and it became flesh and was born as Jesus, this made him the son of God but also since he was the word he was also God at the same time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another interesting way I thought of describing it is Xehanort, XH, and Xemnas.

You have Xehanort and then his heart is XH and his body and soul became Xemnas. Now these 3 beings are seperate but they are still all part of one being, they are still all Xehanort. Xemnas is Xehanort's body and XH is his heart, thus they are 3 in one, one in 3.

XD kinda odd to think of it like that but yeah.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
The Trinity is difficult to explain. Christians believe in one God but there are different parts that make up God.

Like humans are made of a body, mind, and soul. God is made of the father, son (Sometimes refered to as the word), and holy ghost. I think this is what God meant when he said "Let us make man in our image"

When the trinity sent God sent the son/word into Marry's womb and it became flesh and was born as Jesus, this made him the son of God but also since he was the word he was also God at the same time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another interesting way I thought of describing it is Xehanort, XH, and Xemnas.

You have Xehanort and then his heart is XH and his body and soul became Xemnas. Now these 3 beings are seperate but they are still all part of one being, they are still all Xehanort. Xemnas is Xehanort's body and XH is his heart, thus they are 3 in one, one in 3.

XD kinda odd to think of it like that but yeah.

So what you're saying is that Xehanort is Square Enix's attempt at simulating Jesus. How torrid.
They certainly are so sneaky in their hidden meanings.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
★;5496724 said:
I know Christians have varying views on the matter and some reject this concept entirely, so I have to ask something on the topic.

1) Do you believe in three seperate, different entities, all co-related in some way that make up the 'God' of Christianity?

or

2) Do you believe these three beings are essentially differement manifestations of the something of your God all at one time, akin to Hinduism for example?

Because I always thought it was the latter but apparently I'm wrong?

I do not believe in the Trinity doctrine and at the same time I do not believe that the three components are all individual entities either.

To keep it simple this is what I believe: God (Jehovah) and Jesus Christ are two separate individuals. Yes. Jehovah God is the most high being in all the universe, Jesus who was created by God is under Him. As for the Holy Spirit (or Holy "ghost" as some call it) I believe it is not an actual being or individual but God's active force which is used to accomplish God's will such as creation.

If you want something more detailed, you can check this out: Should You Believe in the Trinity?

Last edited:

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
In a simple analogy, the Trinity (as taught in Catholicism) is like the three states of matter that water can take. While all three are distinct from one another, they are all of the same substance, H₂0. They don't combine to fully form God, nor is one any more divine than the other. The Catholic Church's reasoning behind this teaching is basically as follows:

Since God is love, they reason that His love must have had an object when all else was nonexistent. That object of love is believed to be the Son, for in order for Jesus to have forgiven others, he must have been of the same substance as God. The force of that love is so great that it supposedly manifested as a person in and of itself, the Holy Spirit. (This is a tad vague, but I'm sure that a theological scholar would be able to elaborate on the Holy Spirit more than I can.)

Being agnostic, I hardly accept that we as humans can claim to know that much about the divine--but as far as Sunny's question is concerned, that is the official Catholic teaching on the Trinity, summarized.

Pirates

In a simple analogy, the Trinity (as taught in Catholicism) is like the three states of matter that water can take. While all three are distinct from one another, they are all of the same substance, H₂0. They don't combine to fully form God, nor is one any more divine than the other. The Catholic Church's reasoning behind this teaching is basically as follows:

I've heard that analogy used before and I dont really understand it.
H20 may have the 3 forms, but it can only exist in one form at a time. I know that sounds like I am taking the analogy too seriously but I think it is valid to say. There really is nothing we know which is 1 thing that has 3 forms coexisting at the same time.

To that, many people have replied saying "yeah but we cant understand how god works so there is no point trying." Another valid point to make, until you realise that they are the ones promoting that they can comprehend how the trinity functions a second ago.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
★;5498560 said:
(Not to be offensive but this still sounds like polytheism to me)
Don't worry, I see it as that way too. So far as 'monotheism' goes, I think the Holy Trinity is specifically designed to be both contradictory and confusing - keeps people from being able to genuinely question a tenet of the church, and it's very hard to genuinely question something when logic and sense can't be properly applied to it.

metrifyx

It depends on how you look at it, really. I think of the Trinity as a shamrock. A shamrock has three leaves, but each leaf is part of one shamrock. If you ripped off the leaves and scattered them about, you wouldn't look at only one piece and say that it is its own shamrock separate from the others, would you? Each leaf can be described as a shamrock, but only because they are part of a bigger shamrock. I see the Trinity as one God, but each "leaf" has its own function, thus seeing them not as Gods but as parts of the same God.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
Wow, there has been some very interesting analogies about the trinity posted here. Some of which I never would have thought of before. This thread has been a very enjoyable read.

Pirates

It depends on how you look at it, really. I think of the Trinity as a shamrock. A shamrock has three leaves, but each leaf is part of one shamrock. If you ripped off the leaves and scattered them about, you wouldn't look at only one piece and say that it is its own shamrock separate from the others, would you? Each leaf can be described as a shamrock, but only because they are part of a bigger shamrock. I see the Trinity as one God, but each "leaf" has its own function, thus seeing them not as Gods but as parts of the same God.

I wouldnt call a shamrock leaf a shamrock. It would be a struggle to call a leafless shamrock a proper shamrock too.

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
Its amazing this Trinity. I've never come across it in the Bible and never did Jesus (PBUH) ever come up with such a statement or theory. He only professed that there is one God. Time and time again the old and new testament have clear statements about One God. I can quote countless. But I better keep my posts short lol, I tend to overdo it.
As far as the Trinity goes, Christian scholars themselves have stated that it was fabricated three centuries after the death of Jesus (PBUH). The first definition was four centuries after. This in itself speaks volumes.
I suggest reading about this if you truly want to know more. We have to reserach and not believe blindly.
This book gives great insight and has many references for proof, which is important. Its called 'What did Jesus really say?' What Did Jesus Really Say by Misha' al ibn Abdullah Al Kadhi
(Go to page 35 about the Trinity)

Amazingly the Qura'n speaks about the Trinity and specifically mentions it (in arabic its salasa, which can be translated as 1 in 3 or 3 in 1 which is the Trinitarian view.)

Chapter 5 Verse 73:
They do blaspheme who say: Allah is one of three in a Trinity: for there is no god except One Allah. If they desist not from their word (of blasphemy), verily a grievous penalty will befall the blasphemers among them.

Chapter 4 Verse 171:
O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) an apostle of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His apostles. Say not "Trinity" : desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is one Allah. Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.​

Pirates

I havnt read the link you posted but it seems like the trinity idea ( a pretty huge one in the orthadox christian faith) is purely man made.

That is very amazing and I am very suprised that this hasnt come out before.
Thanks.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
I havnt read the link you posted but it seems like the trinity idea ( a pretty huge one in the orthadox christian faith) is purely man made.

That is very amazing and I am very suprised that this hasnt come out before.
Thanks.

Guessing you didn't read the comment or link that I posted before and you replied to as well, because it's pretty much the same thing I was saying. :/

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I've always thought of the Trinity as how I look at the three states of matter.
God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost each have different names, different appearances, and do different things, but they are still one in the same.
If you have Water, Steam, and Ice, you each have different names, different appearances, adn do different things, but they are still one in the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back