What's new

Welcome to Kingdom Hearts Insider

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Ask question

Ask Questions and Get Answers from Our Community

Ask a Mod

Ask Questions from your staff

Contact Staff

If you need additional information or have a concern please contact us.

• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Question about the 7 guardians of light

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

UsagiChan

Reaction score
Awards
Hi, so because I’m dumb i just realized now that the dark seeker saga had 7 playable keyblade wielders, also they were shown in DDD opening, and they were

sora
Riku
Mickey (was briefly playable in kh2)
Roxas
Terra
Ventus
AquaFDB088F6-74D0-4176-A0A5-5BADACAF9CD1.jpeg

I don’t count the playable characters in 358/2days because the canon is only the story mode with Roxas, also I’m only counting dark seeker saga from kh1 to kh3 so no re:mind or dark road or MoM, but my question is are those 7 meant as the original guardians before Kairi and Axel replaced Roxas and Terra? Or were they just used in the opening of DDD because they were the only 7 playable in the dark seeker saga?.

edit: not sure if I can count the player but they were also playable and khx is a weird case of being related to both the dark seeker saga and the next new Saga.

Last edited:

AR829038

Reaction score
Awards
So first, I think Kairi and Lea only count as reserve members the same way that Vexen and Demyx were to the Xehanorts. Second, I've always considered KHX/UX as part of the second phase and NOT the Dark Seeker saga despite it beginning technically before KH3's release.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Reaction score
Awards
Pretty much. The story seemed to make clear that this was the lineup they were aiming for, and Kairi and Axel served as seat fillers until they could get their intended wielders.

Vulpes XIII

Reaction score
Awards
Even though this is meant to be the line up I never really liked that it included Mickey as a Guardian of Light as I think it would of been better if all the Guardians were original KH characters since they could of replaced Mickey with Kairi and give her a bigger role .I know that she did end up fighting In the Keyblade Graveyard but perhaps she could of got more screen time and development if she was in the intended line up

Although I know Disney has to make sure their mascot has a important role in the series but I always thought it would be better if he wasn’t a Guardian

Last edited:

KeyToDestiny

Reaction score
Awards
Lol. Kairi's a weak amateur while Mickey is a keyblade master with plenty of experience. Would have made absolutely zero sense for Kairi to take Mickey's spot. I'm of the opinion that she had no business being there to begin with. The 7 vs 13 fights showed as much.

Besides the original characters are technically Disney characters just like Mickey.

Reaction score
Awards
I think the roles will switch in phase 2. This time, Roxas, Xion, and, Lea are the reserve keyblade wielders. It'd make sense since they aren't heroes nor have they ever aspired to be. They fight for their own reasons and do whatever they see is right.

On the bright side, they're a breath of fresh air from the "morally just noble heroes" everyone else aspires to be. A cast of 13 main characters and 75% of them are so same-y....

So in the end, they aren't bench warmers because they're weak. They're bench warmers because they're different.

Namine.... is somewhere in-between I think.

Vulpes XIII

Reaction score
Awards
Lol. Kairi's a weak amateur while Mickey is a keyblade master with plenty of experience. Would have made absolutely zero sense for Kairi to take Mickey's spot. I'm of the opinion that she had no business being there to begin with. The 7 vs 13 fights showed as much.

Besides the original characters are technically Disney characters just like Mickey.
Kairi lacks experience but I don’t believe that makes her weak since that playable segment in Re:Mind shows that she certainly has power as well as potential.Since of course she going to appear weaker because she lacks experience on the battlefield compared to everyone else and was thrown on the battlefield last minute with little training. So she probably is the weakest of the Guardians of Light and of course Mickey would be stronger but what I’m saying is she isn’t exactly powerless either.

Anyway what I was trying to say in my last post was that of course it wouldn’t make sense for her to take Mickey’s place given the way the intended line up was planned. However what I was suggesting that perhaps if in an alternative set of events if Nomura gave her more screen time and focused on training her earlier on in the series then perhaps she would of been strong enough to take Mickey’s place in the intended line up which is honestly a set of events I would of preferred because then the Guardians of Light would be all original Square Enix characters who were created specifically for the KH series. Plus it would of meant more screen time for Kairi which could of really helped her character.

Somnus cealum

Reaction score
Awards
ONE THING THAT CONFUSES ME is that Kairi is not even a master and she is hella strong!!! Like she has double jump and barrier and a GOD SENT SHOTLOCK!!! And She WARP STRIKE!!!!!!!!!!!! Shes not a master but she can fight!

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Reaction score
Awards
ONE THING THAT CONFUSES ME is that Kairi is not even a master and she is hella strong!!! Like she has double jump and barrier and a GOD SENT SHOTLOCK!!! And She WARP STRIKE!!!!!!!!!!!! Shes not a master but she can fight!
Gameplay is not an accurate representation of canon strength.

SweetYetSalty

Reaction score
Awards
Since this is a topic of the Guardians of Light, I've always been puzzled at what counts as a Guardian of Light. Like the Seekers of Darkness at least have the Xehanort heart piece as a crutch for their darkness. Do Guardians of Light have pure lights in them? Riku uses dark attacks while a light. Would the Keyblade War rules register that as a light side move or a darkness move? If they had dropped by Radiant Garden before the Keyblade War they could have gotten Roxas, which would have benched either Kairi or Lea, making the training equally as pointless as them losing.

Then there's the reserve/true Guardian of Light thing where sources go against the game, which is a common theme in the entire series. According to Nomura Roxas replaces Lea and Terra replaces Kairi as Guardians of Light. According to the games Roxas replaces Lea and Xion replaces Kairi as Guardians of Light at least in the Saix fight. Xion at least fought briefly on the light side. Terra doesn't fight at all for the Guardians of Light before ReMind. So why he gets Kairi's spot and Xion doesn't count feels wrong. When the Guardians of Light fight the Xehanort Replicas is she still a darkness? It would just be easier to call the characters that join late additional Guardians of Light rather then pure replacements to keep that seven number.

The rules of the Guardians, Seekers, and the Keyblade War in general needed more explaining.

Last edited:

Somnus cealum

Reaction score
Awards
Gameplay is not an accurate representation of canon strength.
still in kh1 when sora first got the keyblade and like in every game when u start u dont have alot of power. kairi shouldnt, same goes with axel.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Reaction score
Awards
still in kh1 when sora first got the keyblade and like in every game when u start u dont have alot of power. kairi shouldnt, same goes with axel.
It's really not that big a deal.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Reaction score
Awards
Since this is a topic of the Guardians of Light, I've always been puzzled at what counts as a Guardian of Light. Like the Seekers of Darkness at least have the Xehanort heart piece as a crutch for their darkness. Do Guardians of Light have pure lights in them? Riku uses dark attacks while a light. Would the Keyblade War rules register that as a light side move or a darkness move? If they had dropped by Radiant Garden before the Keyblade War they could have gotten Roxas, which would have benched either Kairi or Lea, making the training equally as pointless as them losing.

Then there's the reserve/true Guardian of Light thing where sources go against the game, which is a common theme in the entire series. According to Nomura Roxas replaces Lea and Terra replaces Kairi as Guardians of Light. According to the games Roxas replaces Lea and Xion replaces Kairi as Guardians of Light at least in the Saix fight. Xion at least fought briefly on the light side. Terra doesn't fight at all for the Guardians of Light before ReMind. So why he gets Kairi's spot and Xion doesn't count feels wrong. When the Guardians of Light fight the Xehanort Replicas is she still a darkness? It would just be easier to call the characters that join late additional Guardians of Light rather then pure replacements to keep that seven number.

The rules of the Guardians, Seekers, and the Keyblade War in general needed more explaining.
Technically Nomura didn't say anything; it was just among the information listed in the Ultimania: one column showing the initial lineup with Kairi and Lea, and then another showing the final with Terra and Roxas. There's also a footnote about Xion's contributions to the guardians despite not ranking among the official 7 at any point.

Terra getting the spot could be for a number of reasons. TAV in general taking precedence due to their experience and importance in the battle against Geezernort, Terra being the most powerful Keyblade wielder on the guardian side... Hell, it might even just be timing; if Terra is canonically saved before Roxas and Xion then it'd make sense for him to get the first opening. Then Roxas being Roxas would get dibs on the next available spot.

I do agree that sticking to specific numbers is just silly. They should just come in with an army; strength in number and all that.

god sent shotlock is kinda a big deal lol. like... do u not think she shouldn't have that shotlock even at this stage when she just started training.
It's. Just. Gameplay.

This type of thinking is the reason why they need to make up an reason for Sora to be reset back to level 1 in each game. It's unnecessary. Things can happen purely for the player's enjoyment and have no bearing on what's going on in the story.

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Reaction score
Awards
Technically Nomura didn't say anything; it was just among the information listed in the Ultimania: one column showing the initial lineup with Kairi and Lea, and then another showing the final with Terra and Roxas. There's also a footnote about Xion's contributions to the guardians despite not ranking among the official 7 at any point.

Terra getting the spot could be for a number of reasons. TAV in general taking precedence due to their experience and importance in the battle against Geezernort, Terra being the most powerful Keyblade wielder on the guardian side... Hell, it might even just be timing; if Terra is canonically saved before Roxas and Xion then it'd make sense for him to get the first opening. Then Roxas being Roxas would get dibs on the next available spot.

I do agree that sticking to specific numbers is just silly. They should just come in with an army; strength in number and all that.

It's. Just. Gameplay.

This type of thinking is the reason why they need to make up an reason for Sora to be reset back to level 1 in each game. It's unnecessary. Things can happen purely for the player's enjoyment and have no bearing on what's going on in the story.
Thanks for clearing that up Sign. I mean it makes sense Terra is a Guardian of Light, it's just kind of weird they still insistent that only seven of them count when we had a bunch of characters by the end of the Keyblade War fighting on the light side way beyond just seven. Even characters like Riku Replica, Namine, and Yen Sid contributed in some shape or form in the war. The Guardians of Light was a faction by the end of KH3 lol.

Willow A113

Reaction score
Awards
I say there are twelve. Sora, Riku, Kairi, Roxas, Axel, Xion, Terra, Ventus, Aqua, Mickey, Donald, and Goofy (yes I'm counting the keybladeless sidekicks). I think in the next saga there might be 13 lights and 7 darknesses. 12 light means we're almost there. Course, that's just me.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Reaction score
Awards
Honestly I think it's kind of ridiculous how they don't count Donald and Goofy among the Guardians and replace/swap out members. Like there's nothing really special about the guardians, it's not like they were chosen by 7 special keyblades of light and have to defeat 13 special keyblades of Darkness. The Darkness side doesn't even purely consist of keyblade wielders even if they all hold the heart of one in them.

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6