• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Question About Restoring Sora's Memories

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxas: Number 13

Hello all!

Okay, so I've been watching the new 358/2 Days cutscene movie from 1.5 remix and I had a question about the process of restoring Sora's memories. Now when Riku is talking to Namine about restoring Sora, (they're sitting in the White Room at the long table) she mentions that it would take a much longer time to fix Sora if Xion and Roxas's memories were completely weaved together with Sora's.

Now my question is: what was Riku's (or Diz's) big rush to bring Sora back to consciousness?

I know Riku is Sora's best friend and all, but it seems sort of selfish of him to want Roxas and Xion to completely just to disappear just so he can see Sora again, regardless of the fact that they're nobodies and supposedly don't really exist. And I know Diz wanted revenge on the Organization, but he could have waited, or he simply could have asked Riku for help with the task- Riku was already helping him out and he was more or less just as strong as Sora was at this point.

Hopefully there isn't some really obvious answer that I've missed and I hope this hasn't been asked already.
Thanks to anyone and everyone who responds.

VenTer

Awards
Though I haven't finished 358days/2days yet, in the DS, I'm not sure...... It really does sound unfair.................... Sora was 15 when Roxas merged back with him in KH2 and he is not unconcious anymore. He was in the pod for 1 year when Namine is fixing Sora's memories. Not sure why Diz wants to rush it.....:confused:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Simply speaking, the completion of Xemnas's Kingdom Hearts was nigh. Not to mention, The Organization was aware that the creation of Xion had caused Sora's awakening to be delayed and didn't want him to wake.

The Organization found Ansem's hideout, it was only a matter of time before they confronted him/Namine/and Sora. No matter which way you look at it, they did not have the time to lose.

As for why Ansem the Wise didn't use Riku to accomplish the same goals? Well, he makes it clear when talking to Roxas: he was only interested in having a champion from the realm of light. Riku was having too much of a battle with his own Darkness, didn't have a Keyblade of his own at that point and Ansem needed Sora. He mentions that he had many plans in store, but when Sora woke up he became an independent agent, and ruined Ansem's goals for the most part anyway.

VenTer

Awards
Simply speaking, the completion of Xemnas's Kingdom Hearts was nigh. Not to mention, The Organization was aware that the creation of Xion had caused Sora's awakening to be delayed and didn't want him to wake.

The Organization found Ansem's hideout, it was only a matter of time before they confronted him/Namine/and Sora. No matter which way you look at it, they did not have the time to lose.

As for why Ansem the Wise didn't use Riku to accomplish the same goals? Well, he makes it clear when talking to Roxas: he was only interested in having a champion from the realm of light. Riku was having too much of a battle with his own Darkness, didn't have a Keyblade of his own at that point and Ansem needed Sora. He mentions that he had many plans in store, but when Sora woke up he became an independent agent, and ruined Ansem's goals for the most part anyway.
What did you mean by Sora becoming an independent agent?

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Tinny's explained pretty much everything there is. Namine's tampering with Sora's memories already dragged Sora's restoration longer than they had expected, and there was also Xion thrown into the equation into whom some of the memories began to leak. As we can see in one of the cutscenes in Days, DiZ was clearly not pleased with this, and he even demanded that Namine leave out some memories to speed up the process.

In addition, while it seemed selfish of Riku, it's not that he had much choice on that matter either. He knows that for Sora to reawaken, both Roxas and Xion had to disappear, or in his words to Xion, return to the place where they belong. At least Riku wasn't all that cold-blooded; he gave permission to Xion to think for herself to come up with her own decision.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Funny I had exactly that same question in another thread, lol.

So I'm going to just for once to copy a post of mine:

After Naminé messed up Sora's memories, many of them were unlinked from his main chain of memories and some sank into Roxas through their connection. Then the Organisation created Xion who had the ability to sap Sora's memories using Roxas as a Conductor.
So more and more disconnected memories of Sora flowed into both Roxas and Xion, which eventually made it essential for both of them to return to Sora in order to gain back his memories.
It could have been done otherwise by having Naminé take apart and rearrange both Roxas' and Xion's memories to separate their own from those who belong to Sora, but that would have taken an unholy amount of time, time that was not available because Xemnas and Xigbar were already pushing forward their plans and Mickey and Riku alone were not enough to stop the Organisation.

Naminé even explains this in Days when meeting with Riku nearly word for word:
Days said:
Riku: What happened?

Naminé: Some of Sora's memories are missing.

Riku: How can that be?

Naminé: They're escaping through Sora's Nobody into a third person--
and now they're starting to become a part of her.

Riku: You can't get the memories back out.

Naminé: If they're still separate...then yes, I think so.

(She looks at the sketchbook on the table of the picture of Axel, Roxas,
and Xion)

Naminé: But if they join with her memories, things get a lot more complicated.
I would need to untangle her memory before I could finish Sora's... What was
supposed to take months might take years. DiZ would be furious.

Riku: So what's the solution?

Naminé: If I try to just jump in and rearrange her memory...then I risk Sora
waking up to find out that nobody remembers him anymore. I can't do that to
him. It's too late either way. His awakening will have to be delayed. I never
imagined Sora's Nobody and the other one would fight so hard to be their own
people. Unfortunately, the only real solution...is for them both to go away.

---

Combining this all together with the stuff already pointed out by Tinny and Solosis, the main reasons were in short form:

- Sora's restoration was already taking longer due to the Organisation interfering with Xion's memory-leech ability.
- The "good" guys were already running out of time and therefore Naminé and Riku relented to use the most drastic, but also most quickest method.
- DiZ/Ansem the Wise was just a revenge-obsessed dickhead who didn't see Roxas and Xion as individuals of their own anyways (and Naminé too), but while awful, it wasn't the main problem they had to deal with.

Looking at KH 2 then though there is an interesting parallel between Riku and Axel. I've often seen fans chewing out Axel for being "selfish" and trying to get Roxas (his own best friend) back at the expense of Sora, but Riku somehow always gets away scot-free despite doing the exact same thing only with Roxas' and Sora's roles switched.
To quote Sora: "you deserve as much as I do to be your own person."
Way to be a hypocrite in this particular area, parts of the fandom.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
This has nothing to do with the topic, but...

Looking at KH 2 then though there is an interesting parallel between Riku and Axel. I've often seen fans chewing out Axel for being "selfish" and trying to get Roxas (his own best friend) back at the expense of Sora, but Riku somehow always gets away scot-free despite doing the exact same thing only with Roxas' and Sora's roles switched.
To quote Sora: "you deserve as much as I do to be your own person."
Way to be a hypocrite in this particular area, parts of the fandom.

Probably that's because Riku is one of the good guys, while Axel was (or had been) with the Organization, which is the main antagonistic force of KH2. It can't be denied that many people tend to more readily justify the ways of the good guys than they do neutral or bad, even when it comes to acts of questionable nature.

Interesting parallel, nonetheless... I have never noticed it until just now.

Roxas: Number 13

Okay thanks, I had completely forgotten the threat of Xemnas completing Kingdom Hearts, so it makes sense that there was a rush.

But in regards to Tinny's comment: why does Ansem care whether or not his hero is from the realm of light or not? And I thought Riku's main battle with his darkness was over after Chain of Memories, right? Isn't that why he was able to control his actions while in his Ansem-form during the events of KH2, turn into his Ansem-form in the first place? And if Diz wanted a champion from the realm of light, why not use Mickey?

And for Sora becoming an independent agent:

How were Sora's actions different than what Diz had intended (How was he an independent agent?) Sora ended up defeating Xemnas and ruining the Organization's plans, which was Ansem's ultimate goal if I recall correctly (revenge).

Second, why did Ansem expect Sora to act differently?

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Okay thanks, I had completely forgotten the threat of Xemnas completing Kingdom Hearts, so it makes sense that there was a rush.

But in regards to Tinny's comment: why does Ansem care whether or not his hero is from the realm of light or not? And I thought Riku's main battle with his darkness was over after Chain of Memories, right? Isn't that why he was able to control his actions while in his Ansem-form during the events of KH2, turn into his Ansem-form in the first place? And if Diz wanted a champion from the realm of light, why not use Mickey?

And for Sora becoming an independent agent:

How were Sora's actions different than what Diz had intended (How was he an independent agent?) Sora ended up defeating Xemnas and ruining the Organization's plans, which was Ansem's ultimate goal if I recall correctly (revenge).

Second, why did Ansem expect Sora to act differently?

We don't really know exactly what Ansem wanted. All we know was that he had other plans, and when Sora woke up all those plans fell apart. He probably wanted Sora to be a bit more ruthless in his actions. "He's far too nice for his own good."

As for why he didn't ask Mickey, they talked about it. Ansem, was ashamed to face his old friend with the reality of his downfall, and he knew that Mickey wouldn't have helped Ansem if it was solely for revenge.
Riku's journey in CoM settled a lot of his issues with the Darkness, but Riku didn't accept it UNTIL his form resembled Xehanort entirely. If Riku had conquered and fully accepted his Darkness prior to that, his confrontation with Roxas wouldn't have been an issue at all.

Anyway, Ansem was a control freak, but he came to learn that hearts cannot be controlled. It's kind of his entire character arc.

fangsora

Hello all!

Okay, so I've been watching the new 358/2 Days cutscene movie from 1.5 remix and I had a question about the process of restoring Sora's memories. Now when Riku is talking to Namine about restoring Sora, (they're sitting in the White Room at the long table) she mentions that it would take a much longer time to fix Sora if Xion and Roxas's memories were completely weaved together with Sora's.

Now my question is: what was Riku's (or Diz's) big rush to bring Sora back to consciousness?

I know Riku is Sora's best friend and all, but it seems sort of selfish of him to want Roxas and Xion to completely just to disappear just so he can see Sora again, regardless of the fact that they're nobodies and supposedly don't really exist. And I know Diz wanted revenge on the Organization, but he could have waited, or he simply could have asked Riku for help with the task- Riku was already helping him out and he was more or less just as strong as Sora was at this point.

Hopefully there isn't some really obvious answer that I've missed and I hope this hasn't been asked already.
Thanks to anyone and everyone who responds.
well the organization had 1 mission on riku and diz seek and destroy riku cant take all of the members at once.He struggled just to fight roxas and roxas wasn't really the strongest member of the organization.

MyNameisAnsem

well the organization had 1 mission on riku and diz seek and destroy riku cant take all of the members at once.He struggled just to fight roxas and roxas wasn't really the strongest member of the organization.

Even though Riku probably can't take them all on at once, I don't think they'd all go anyway. I can't see the castle being left alone, dave for the lessers, and besides, Xemnas seems content to reside in his castle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back