• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Question about Ice Cream...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

GothBug

Umm... dang it. Why'd that happen? Well, if you put "Sea Salt Ice Cream Recipe" in your search, then you'll see one from "Recipezaar"... that would be it. I can't fix the link for some reason. Darn computer...
Sorry 'bout that... >.<

DarkeTiger

Website
www.kevan.org
Sea Salt Ice Cream is actually really good. I'm not sure where the recipe is on this site but I found it here-

http://http://www.recipezaar.com/177919

It's pretty easy too. The Sea Salt that you should get is just like regular salt (not in BIG crystals... although you can get it that way... it's just easier to use the smaller salt crystals.)

But I have to say... it's extremely yummy. My whole family loves it... and really, it's salty... but sweet. Just like they say! ^.^

If you've noticed, you've got http twice, and in the link, you are missing a colon : for the second one

Sea-Salt Ice-Cream

DaisyDuck

This is the recipe that I think gave the best overall results. It's a modified version of Alton Brown's Serious Vanilla Ice Cream. This weekend I'm going to try the "standard" recipe posted on this site so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

2 cups half-and-half
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup of sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, or a tablespoon of vanilla extract.
sea salt to taste
1-2 drops of blue food coloring.

Combine all ingredients (including the bean and its pulp) in a large saucepan and place over medium heat. Attach a frying or candy thermometer to inside of pan. (see note below) Stirring occasionally, bring the mixture to 170 degrees F.

Add the salt to the warm base, be careful not to overdo it. You want just enough salt to taste along with the sweet vanilla.

Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Remove the hull of the vanilla bean, and add the food coloring to the desired hue. Pour mixture into lidded container and refrigerate mixture overnight to mellow flavors and texture.
Freeze mixture in ice cream freezer according to unit's instructions. The mixture will not freeze hard in the machine. Once the volume has increased by 1/2 to 3/4 times, and reached a soft serve consistency, spoon the mixture back into a lidded container, or into popsicle molds and harden in the freezer at least 1 hour before serving.
If using molds give them a quick dip in hot water to make it easier to remove.
NOTE: If you do not have a thermometer, bring the mixture just barely to a simmer. As soon as you see a bubble hit the surface, remove it from the heat. Do not let it boil

DaisyDuck

Okay, After having tried three different methods, including the one posted on this site, I have to say that the one that does not contain eggs works the best for me. It is by far the simplest and gives a nice flavor and smooth texture as long as it freezes quickly.

I may try the standars recipe again with pasturized eggs and a lighter whipping cream to see if it gives a better mouth feel. Once I eat up this batch of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back