• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Purpose of the Dark Shards

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Master Xehanort said:
χ: a most ancient letter. Some say kye, but the meaning is the same: death. A letter that spells endings.
So, χ means death. Literally, the χ-blade is the death-blade. It was a weapon that coexisted alongside Kingdom Hearts, protecting it. Soon, darkness entered peoples hearts and the Keyblade War began, with warriors fashioning keyblades in imitation of the χ-blade to seize control of the light.
Master Xehanort said:
In that great clash, the χ-blade was shattered into twenty peices. Seven of light, and thirteen of darkness. And the only real Kingdom Hearts was swallowed by the darkness, never to surface again.
So, the χ-blade broke into 20 shards. 7 of these were light, to protect the 7 Princesses of Heart, and the other 13 shards were darkness. For what purpose? And why are there more shards of darkness then light?
Also intriguing is the name of the weapon in conjunction with its purpose. The death-blade is the only key to the real Kingdom Hearts, the source of life. This seems strange, to say the least.

I think the name χ-blade popped up AFTER the Keyblade War, when the World was recreated by children. It would be understandable to fear such a weapon, and to change it's name after it almost destroyed everything. It probably had a different name beforehand, one synonymous with life, to match its purpose.
As for the shards, it is probably safe to assume that the χ-blade was equal parts light and darkness. The light half split in 7, because there were 7 pure hearts of light that had essentially become a replacement for Kingdom Hearts. These shards manifest themselves as or choose Guardians of Light to protect the Princesses.

The 13 Darknesses, however, seek solely for the reconstruction of the χ-blade and the return of Kingdom Hearts to the Realm of Light. However, that does not benefit the Realm of Darkness in any way that we know of. I have an idea though. Maybe Kingdom Hearts being in the Realm of Darkness has repurcussions on the denizens of the dark as well as the light. People must have lived in the RoD just like Sora and Co. lived in the Realm of Light, because there are keyblades of the dark as well. In fact, Mickey found and used one: the Kingdom Key D.

Perhaps, since people who lived in the Realm of Darkness have more darkness within them, being closer to Kingdom Hearts caused them to turn into Pureblood Heartless. What happened to their bodies remain a mystery: did they become Nobodies like those of the Realm of Light, or did something else happen to them that will have emphasis in the next saga?

Anyways, back to the χ-blade. The shards of Darkness are probably made to protect the denizens of the dark. However, Xehanort has no love for anyone other than himself. He just wants to forge the χ-blade to sate his own curiosity about the "light" discovered in the War. Maybe, if his plans begin to threaten the denizens of the dark as well, the Shards will chose others to protect the dark. It would be funny if the shards chose the people he has turned into vessels, but their hearts, not his. Then, someone else gets his, and Lights and Darknesses team up to defeat him. And because they fight, even if it isn't each other, the χ-blade is forged. I think it would be a fitting end to the series if Xehanort is finally defeated by being stabbed through the chest with the χ-blade, the weapon he sought so long to create. Kingdom Hearts then opens, and Xehanort dies seeing that the "light" spoken of in the legends turns out to be something like love.

So what do you think? Could the purpose of the Dark shards be to protect the denizens of the dark, like the Light shards protect the Princesses? Also, how do you like my ending?

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
I think everything you proposed and considered seems in line with the series at this point. Heck, even you cliche ending would fit. Though they aren't giving KH a set emotion, such as love. They just personify the light and then kind of make into its own emotion. I'm sure Xehanort lost somebody dear to him, or else he would have ZERO motivation to find the X-blade. More than likely he is trying to find KH to release that somebody's heart.

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
I'm sure Xehanort lost somebody dear to him, or else he would have ZERO motivation to find the X-blade. More than likely he is trying to find KH to release that somebody's heart.
Why do you say that? We don't really have any reason to think that at all. Besides, we already know his motivation behind wanting the X-blade.

Xblade13

Awards
I think everything you proposed and considered seems in line with the series at this point. Heck, even you cliche ending would fit. Though they aren't giving KH a set emotion, such as love. They just personify the light and then kind of make into its own emotion. I'm sure Xehanort lost somebody dear to him, or else he would have ZERO motivation to find the X-blade. More than likely he is trying to find KH to release that somebody's heart.
Xehanort's ambition to get the χ-blade was spelled out in BBS.
BBS said:
ERAQUS: Wait, Xehanort. There is a reason why the precepts bar us from such knowledge. Why do you seek the χ-blade? Would you blanket the worlds in darkness, reduce them to nothing?
XEHANORT: But darkness did cover the World once, in legend. We know so little about the Keyblade War, only that amidst that battle, a precious light was found.
They say ruin brings about creation, so what then would another Keyblade War bring? ...would we be found worthy of the precious light the legend speaks of? I must have these answers! The χ-blade needs to be forged, and with it, the door to the Keyblade War unlocked.
ERAQUS: You would risk an apocalypse out of sheer curiosity? I will never allow it, Xehanort. Not while I live!
Xehanort is willing to dive into the deepest darkness, start the Keyblade War, and risk the anihilation of everything just to see what this "light" is. That is his motivation: curiosity.

Xehanort is a deranged, intelligent, and infinitely dangerous man. Needless to say, I will enjoy beating him to smithereens in KH3!

Dawn Rebirth

Can you say vacay on Radiant Isle, and I'm growing

Xehanort Report IIOur Master instructed us to don armor while traveling between worlds, so that we might shield ourselves from the darkness. But there, in the Lanes Between, I could feel the force of it—the power—and from then on, I forwent my armor's "protection." I had been told the darkness would devour me, but what terrors could it possibly hold, so long as I found the strength to control it?The World is vast—and the worlds within the greater World, uncountable. Like little islands, they dot a great Ocean Between which keeps them ignorant of each other, uncorrupted.Each world had its own order. Unlike us, they could not know of the World in its entirety, and we were never to enlighten them.

This implies why Xehanort is so evil and lacks consideration towards others. YMX's time in the future only ingrained the knowledge that other worlds exist, or at the very least some belief of that being so. Even though darkness can be used for good, as Riku has shown, there are elements within darkness that are dangerous to both the heart and the mind. We've seen too many examples of this being so, Xehanort is the closest individual to darkness, and similar to fear, curiousity has led Xehanort to obsession, which has beckoned the darkness. Xehanort is doing all of this for himself, it's one of the things that motivates the player to want to stop him, if in the end he was doing this for someone other than himself I won't know what to think(Esp seeing as I've yet to see any hints for this being so, but I have seen quite a lot of evidence to the contrary).

Xblade13

Awards
This implies why Xehanort is so evil and lacks consideration towards others. YMX's time in the future only ingrained the knowledge that other worlds exist, or at the very least some belief of that being so. Even though darkness can be used for good, as Riku has shown, there are elements within darkness that are dangerous to both the heart and the mind. We've seen too many examples of this being so, Xehanort is the closest individual to darkness, and similar to fear, curiousity has led Xehanort to obsession, which has beckoned the darkness. Xehanort is doing all of this for himself, it's one of the things that motivates the player to want to stop him, if in the end he was doing this for someone other than himself I won't know what to think(Esp seeing as I've yet to see any hints for this being so, but I have seen quite a lot of evidence to the contrary).

Very well said! Xehanort is an example of Darkness when evil, and Riku is an example of Darkness when good.

Also, the idea of Xehanort opening himself to the Darkness intrigues me. One of the common confusions about Xehanort's Vessels is how they represent the Dark Shards of the χ-blade.

Xehanort is filling these vessels with his own heart. It seems arrogant for him to believe that by putting his heart in others, they would be chosen by a Shard, like he was.

Now that you brought up the fact that he forwent his armor and embraced the darkness, I have another theory, that compliments my original one.

Xehanort opened himself to the darkness. He loves it, embraces it, speaks highly of it. He seems to be the only one living who truly does so. Maleficent loved darkness, but never left her home world until Xehanort met her in BBS. Also, she might not have been born yet in her world when Xehanort was young (assuming she's not really old.)

It is possible that Xehanort recieved his Shard of the χ-blade when he forwent his armor and embraced darkness. Because he opened himself up to darkness, possibly the first one to do so since the Keyblade War, it chose him as a Seeker of Darkness. But, my theory is that he recieved all thirteen Shards. So, whenever Xehanort placed his heart in a vessel, they recieved a Shard. Thus, all the Darknesses can have Shards of their own, but Xehanort was the only one chosen.

So, according to my original post, it is possible for the Shards to change allegiance, and choose others to represent them if the one they chose, Xehanort, threatens the denizens of the Realm of Darkness. Some of these chosen ones may be vessels, like Terra or Isa. It would chose their heart, not Xehanort's, giving them the power to reassert control. Some may move to others, such as Maleficent.

What do you think. I like how this theory can expand or be revised with new information. Anything else we're missing?

I love connecting things back to the subject! :D

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
The problem with this is that the citizens of the Realm of Darkness are the Heartless (Purebloods mostly). The Realm of Darkness seems to be the great darkness that had nearly consumed the Realm of Light during the Keyblade War. When the children who survived the war used their light to forge the 7 hearts of pure light, they used the power of those 7 hearts to banish the darkness that was consuming the realm of light. To keep that darkness away the 7 pure hearts were used to create the door to darkness. That banished darkness is what became the Realm of Darkness.

Therefore the X-Blade existed long before the Realm of Darkness ever came into existence. The X-Blade is comprised of two halves: Darkness and Light. The Light half was divided into 7 fragments to protect the 7 pure hearts which act as substitutes for the True Kingdom Hearts. The Darkness half was divided into 13 fragments and I believe the 13 fragments desire to bring the True Kingdom Hearts back to the Realm of Light and so the 13 dark fragments will choose people who are absolutely committed to the goal of bringing all the fragments together and forging the X-Blade which would return Kingdom Hearts to the Realm of Light.

Both the Fragments of Darkness and the Fragments of Light seek to do what is best for the worlds, but they have two different ideas of what exactly is best. The Fragments of Light see protecting the princesses as the best thing for the worlds. The Fragments of Darkness see returning the True Kingdom Hearts to its proper place as the best thing.

It is Xehanort who has evil desires and intentions.

Xblade13

Awards
Thanks for the feedback! :) This is how theories are rewritten or elaborated upon!

Now, onto the subject. It was my belief that the World was equal parts Light and Darkness as well. In other words, there are worlds of light, situated in the Realm of Light, and worlds of darkness, situated in the Realm of Darkness. When the World was whole, these were interconnected to each other.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "But Darkness tried to devour the Light!" To this, I'll remind you that Darkness can be used for either good or evil. The part of the World that dealt with Darkness, and whose citizens used it, were clean, good Darkness. My hypothesis is that the Darkness that swallowed the World was the outbreak of the first Evil Darkness, corrupting people of both Light and Dark with greed for the power of Kingdom Hearts.

It is possible that this Evil Darkness was spearheaded by a group of 13 people from the Dark part of the World. They were jealous of the Light half of the World worshiping the Light. It is my belief that the Seven Hearts of Pure Light preexisted the war, and that when the children rebuilt the World, they based their new World around them. Anyway, these hypothetical 13 didn't like that people prized these hearts of Light so much, so they started to spread their Evil Darkness to corrupt people's hearts. The Keyblade War began, and the 13 targeted the Pure Lights.

The χ-blade, sensing the danger to the people of the World, shattered itself to combat the 13 Evil Ones: 7 Shards of Light to protect the Seven Pure Hearts, and 13 Shards of Darkness to protect the Dark citizens from corruption. However, we all know the power of Evil Darkness, and without pure hearts of Good Darkness to empower, the Dark Shards fell under the control of the 13.

Then the War escalated, and Kingdom Hearts itself fell to Evil Darkness. Then the World was ripped apart, and the Evil Ones won. But, the light in the hearts of children brought back the 7 Pure Lights, and sealed ALL Darkness, good or bad, behind the door, and locked it. Then the World became two: the Realm of Light recreated by the children, and the Realm of Darkness under the control of Evil Darkness. The 13 are destroyed and lose their Shards of the χ-blade, and Kingdom Hearts fell into the Darkness as well.

Sealed in the Realm of Darkness, the Evil Darkness of Kingdom Hearts corrupted all the citizens of Darkness who remained. Eventually, all of the citizens of Darkness were so corrupted in their hearts that the Darkness took over, destroying their humanity and turning them all into Pureblood Heartless.

Hundreds (or thousands) of years later, Xehanort opens himself to the Darkness, and since he is the first person to welcome Darkness of any kind since the War, he acquires all 13 Shards of Darkness. The Shards help him, for they know he seeks to bring Kingdom Hearts back to the Realm of Light, saving the Dark citizens. It may be possible for the citizens of Darkness to return to their original forms if KH leaves the RoD.

Xehanort, however, only cares for himself. He's not doing this for the people of the Dark, but only to sate his curiosity. He wants to start the War again, and if he is successful in bringing KH to the RoL, then it WILL begin anew, for the Evil Darkness of KH will begin to corrupt people of the Light.

If Xehanort succeeds, and he is defeated, the Guardians of Light, chosen by the Shards to protect the Princesses, will have to make a choice: Put KH back in the RoD, preventing the War but dooming the Dark citizens, or try to find a way to destroy the Evil Darkness for good. Repeat history, and have a chance someone else will try again to start the Keyblade War, or seek to change the future and bring peace.

Then the next saga could be about Evil Light. :D jk.

I think I covered my theory nicely. Any thoughts?

Xblade13

Awards
Just a suggestion, try using that enter key and make that paragraph easier on the eyes
It's fixed now. For some reason when I type out a comment, then post it, it doesn't seem to care if I made seperate paragraphs or not. So, I have to edit the post to "fix" it. Sorry for the mess before. :(

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
So, χ means death. Literally, the χ-blade is the death-blade. It was a weapon that coexisted alongside Kingdom Hearts, protecting it. Soon, darkness entered peoples hearts and the Keyblade War began, with warriors fashioning keyblades in imitation of the χ-blade to seize control of the light.

"Death" seems more like a matter of MX's perspective, which could be interpreted as "chaos," or the clashing of two forces.

Also intriguing is the name of the weapon in conjunction with its purpose. The death-blade is the only key to the real Kingdom Hearts, the source of life. This seems strange, to say the least.
The X-Blade summons KH. The Keyblade of Peoples' Heart opens the door to KH (in other words, it leads you to it).

I think the name χ-blade popped up AFTER the Keyblade War, when the World was recreated by children. It would be understandable to fear such a weapon, and to change it's name after it almost destroyed everything. It probably had a different name beforehand, one synonymous with life, to match its purpose.
The concept of the X-Blade having a different name in that fashion seems irrelevant to the themes of the series, so I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

The 13 Darknesses, however, seek solely for the reconstruction of the χ-blade and the return of Kingdom Hearts to the Realm of Light. However, that does not benefit the Realm of Darkness in any way that we know of. I have an idea though. Maybe Kingdom Hearts being in the Realm of Darkness has repurcussions on the denizens of the dark as well as the light. People must have lived in the RoD just like Sora and Co. lived in the Realm of Light, because there are keyblades of the dark as well. In fact, Mickey found and used one: the Kingdom Key D.
Keyblades from the RoD are supposedly reciprocals to their RoL counterparts.

Perhaps, since people who lived in the Realm of Darkness have more darkness within them, being closer to Kingdom Hearts caused them to turn into Pureblood Heartless.
Uh...That makes no sense at all :x

Being closer to an entity of light makes you fall to darkness?

Anyways, back to the χ-blade. The shards of Darkness are probably made to protect the denizens of the dark. However, Xehanort has no love for anyone other than himself. He just wants to forge the χ-blade to sate his own curiosity about the "light" discovered in the War. Maybe, if his plans begin to threaten the denizens of the dark as well, the Shards will chose others to protect the dark.
The 7 keybladers of light correspond with the 7 PoH because they're meant to protect them from those who wish to forge the Keyblade of Peoples' Heart (IIRC; correct me if I'm wrong). The purpose of the 13 darknesses doesn't seem to be distinguishable from that perspective.

So what do you think? Could the purpose of the Dark shards be to protect the denizens of the dark, like the Light shards protect the Princesses? Also, how do you like my ending?

If anything, I would try to correlate the nature of chaos between light and dark to the summoning of the X-Blade and, by extension, KH. Also, it'd be more iconic if MX wielded the X-Blade, but had it destroyed in the same manner that the first one was. That would go to show how indestructible the bond between friendships are in comparison the X-Blade's seemingly god-like powers.

Theta

That's an interesting theory. Concerning the idea of good darkness, I'd have to disagree. This is my basic belief: Darkness breeds negative emotion, and that negative emotion breeds more darkness; the only salvation from this torment is light; and the darkness is left no choice but to feed off of it. Essentially, it is evil, but not by direct virtue. The bbs novel chapters with Vanitas expand on this topic. I guess then you'd have to say that darkness has a tendency for evil. With this in mind, so long as light sates its hunger, it is simply darkness. With this in mind, it makes sense that darkness alongside light is the natural mechanism to protect Kingdom Hearts. This same darkness without the endless supply of light would however not be satisfied and ultimately seek to recreate the x-blade. Hmm, I guess I just got back to what Memory Master said.

The idea that there were citizens of darkness just doesn't sit right with me. If they are just good instead of bad beings of pure darkness then I have already explained why I don't think that would work but if they are dark being sated by light then the situation degenerates into people like Riku in kh2. Well, that's how I see it anyway. Aside from the citizens bit, the theory still intrigues me. I guess your "Evil Ones" would be analogous to the darkness that is currently not sated by the light. I thought about this a lot actually with why Vanitas has such a fate of torment. His only salvation would be to either disapear or join with Ventus.

Edit:
The X-Blade summons KH. The Keyblade of Peoples' Heart opens the door to KH (in other words, it leads you to it).

Doesn't the Keyblade of People's Heart open the door to darkness? which by the way does that lead to kh? I always thought it was kh, a form of it that is. If not how did light go shining through the dtd if only darkness can pass? Also, why would heartless be right next to kh then? Sorry to get off topic, this is just an issue that has been bothering me.

Nayru's Love

Awards
That's an interesting theory. Concerning the idea of good darkness, I'd have to disagree. This is my basic belief: Darkness breeds negative emotion, and that negative emotion breeds more darkness; the only salvation from this torment is light; and the darkness is left no choice but to feed off of it. Essentially, it is evil, but not by direct virtue. The bbs novel chapters with Vanitas expand on this topic. I guess then you'd have to say that darkness has a tendency for evil. With this in mind, so long as light sates its hunger, it is simply darkness. With this in mind, it makes sense that darkness alongside light is the natural mechanism to protect Kingdom Hearts. This same darkness without the endless supply of light would however not be satisfied and ultimately seek to recreate the x-blade. Hmm, I guess I just got back to what Memory Master said.

The idea that there were citizens of darkness just doesn't sit right with me. If they are just good instead of bad beings of pure darkness then I have already explained why I don't think that would work but if they are dark being sated by light then the situation degenerates into people like Riku in kh2. Well, that's how I see it anyway. Aside from the citizens bit, the theory still intrigues me. I guess your "Evil Ones" would be analogous to the darkness that is currently not sated by the light. I thought about this a lot actually with why Vanitas has such a fate of torment. His only salvation would be to either disapear or join with Ventus.
I wouldn't necessarily classify darkness as inherently bad. I like to think of it this way: Light focuses on traits of codependence and connection, whereas darkness focuses on traits that may seem more detrimental than helpful, such as fear and sadness. Controlling your darkness would be a matter of transforming those traits into something useful. i.e., your fear for the safety of your loved ones becomes your drive to protect them. Or, the sadness you feel right now becomes your drive to change your future for the better.

It's a matter of perspective.

Xblade13

Awards
["Death" seems more like a matter of MX's perspective, which could be interpreted as "chaos," or the clashing of two forces.]

No real arguments here.

[The X-Blade summons KH. The Keyblade of Peoples' Heart opens the door to KH (in other words, it leads you to it).]

I meant it is the only key that opens Kingdom Hearts itself. The Keyblade of Peoples Hearts is merely a key that opens the door between the Realm of Light and KH. One that Xehanort will have to acquire first (unless Riku-Ansem is a Vessel...o_O)

[The concept of the X-Blade having a different name in that fashion seems irrelevant to the themes of the series, so I wouldn't put too much thought into it.]

I know, but this whole theory is more a way to flesh out the backstory of the War. Take a look at my other posts to see it fleshed out better.

[Keyblades from the RoD are supposedly reciprocals to their RoL counterparts.]

That doesn't mean someone didn't wield it at one point, but I see what you mean.

[Uh...That makes no sense at all :xBeing closer to an entity of light makes you fall to darkness?]

Another post of mine explained that Kingdom Hearts succumbed to the Darkness at the end of the War, trapping the "light" within darkness. Basically, it turned into a giant Heartless. Thus, anybody close to it could also become Heartless.

[The 7 keybladers of light correspond with the 7 PoH because they're meant to protect them from those who wish to forge the Keyblade of Peoples' Heart (IIRC; correct me if I'm wrong). The purpose of the 13 darknesses doesn't seem to be distinguishable from that perspective.]

That is correct. However, since the χ-blade is the companion to Kingdom Hearts, the Heart of all Worlds and People, its main purpose (besides opening KH) would be to protect those hearts. If someone evil, like Xehanort, were to acquire the KoPH, they could reach Kingdom Hearts and reek havok on any heart they chose. So, naturally, the 7 Shards protect the 7 Princesses. As for the Dark Shards, read my other posts for more refined information. Basically, they tried to protect the people of the dark, but failed.

[If anything, I would try to correlate the nature of chaos between light and dark to the summoning of the X-Blade and, by extension, KH. Also, it'd be more iconic if MX wielded the X-Blade, but had it destroyed in the same manner that the first one was. That would go to show how indestructible the bond between friendships are in comparison the X-Blade's seemingly god-like powers.]

That could happen too. Mine was just one example. Many endings are still possible.

All in all, that was a good argument you presented. And I answered all your rebuttals nicely, I think.

Thanks for replying! I always welcome conversation! :D

Nayru's Love

Awards
Protip: I think you'll find it easier if you use the "reply with quote" button on the bottom right of posts. Looks cleaner that way. :p

I meant it is the only key that opens Kingdom Hearts itself. The Keyblade of Peoples Hearts is merely a key that opens the door between the Realm of Light and KH. One that Xehanort will have to acquire first (unless Riku-Ansem is a Vessel...o_O)
Opening the DtD gives someone some form of access to KH's powers/effects, as seen with XH.

I know, but this whole theory is more a way to flesh out the backstory of the War. Take a look at my other posts to see it fleshed out better.
Point still stands. "Fleshing out a backstory" is only useful if it can give us some insight of the series. Likewise, a clear sense of correlation is essential to a credible insight.

Another post of mine explained that Kingdom Hearts succumbed to the Darkness at the end of the War, trapping the "light" within darkness. Basically, it turned into a giant Heartless. Thus, anybody close to it could also become Heartless.
KH can't really be compared to a heart in that sense. While it is the heart of all worlds, KH is different from almost all other hearts in that it's purely light. If PoH's can't become Heartless, neither can KH. Granted, I do find a lot of merit in your visualization of KH as a Heartless (the light hidden within the darkness, just like how Heartless are hearts with light that are trapped within the darkness).

No really, I doubt even some of the KHI veterans with decent expertise in KH lore could have come up with that.

That being said, your point's still faulty, as seen when XH, a being of darkness (I don't like calling him a Heartless), was defeated as a result of KH.

That is correct. However, since the χ-blade is the companion to Kingdom Hearts, the Heart of all Worlds and People, its main purpose (besides opening KH) would be to protect those hearts. If someone evil, like Xehanort, were to acquire the KoPH, they could reach Kingdom Hearts and reek havok on any heart they chose. So, naturally, the 7 Shards protect the 7 Princesses. As for the Dark Shards, read my other posts for more refined information. Basically, they tried to protect the people of the dark, but failed.
You can't exactly compare the purpose of the 13 darknesses with that of the 7 lights, at least not in that sense. With the latter, their purpose is rooted to the protection of KH. If the 13 darknesses were to protect inhabitants of the RoD, it'd probably be related to protecting KH. However, at the moment, there doesn't seem to be a "dark" reciprocal to the Keyblade of Peoples' Heart.

Thanks for replying! I always welcome conversation! :D
lol, that's such awkward courtesy. ;)

There's no need to reiterate that; I think it's fair to assume that no one here intends to sound like an ass. If someone did, it'd be obvious. Soooo go ahead and make yourself more casual, it's more fun that way.

Xblade13

Awards
Protip: I think you'll find it easier if you use the "reply with quote" button on the bottom right of posts. Looks cleaner that way. :p

I'll do that. :)

Opening the DtD gives someone some form of access to KH's powers/effects, as seen with XH.

True. But that only proves that Kingdom Hearts is controlled by Darkness, since "Ansem" gained more power as he got closer to it.

Point still stands. "Fleshing out a backstory" is only useful if it can give us some insight of the series. Likewise, a clear sense of correlation is essential to a credible insight.

You sounded just like Vexen during that mission in Days. XD
But, this theory does fill in blanks rather nicely. It's the type of thing others can base their theories from.

KH can't really be compared to a heart in that sense. While it is the heart of all worlds, KH is different from almost all other hearts in that it's purely light. If PoH's can't become Heartless, neither can KH. Granted, I do find a lot of merit in your visualization of KH as a Heartless (the light hidden within the darkness, just like how Heartless are hearts with light that are trapped within the darkness).
No really, I doubt even some of the KHI veterans with decent expertise in KH lore could have come up with that.
That being said, your point's still faulty, as seen when XH, a being of darkness (I don't like calling him a Heartless), was defeated as a result of KH.

I agree that "Ansem" isn't a Heartless. He's an Essence of the Heart, which I will explain in detail in another thread.

"Ansem" gained power from the Dark outer shell (coughHeartlesscough) of Kingdom Hearts. He was defeated as a result of the Light within Kingdom Hearts. It reacted to the Shard(s) of Light Sora has. (He has Ventus', but we're unsure if he has one of his own yet.) The Light rushed out to meet him, and "Ansem" was destroyed. However, he continued to live on in Riku, until the Kingdom Hearts Encoder blew up.

You can't exactly compare the purpose of the 13 darknesses with that of the 7 lights, at least not in that sense. With the latter, their purpose is rooted to the protection of KH. If the 13 darknesses were to protect inhabitants of the RoD, it'd probably be related to protecting KH. However, at the moment, there doesn't seem to be a "dark" reciprocal to the Keyblade of Peoples' Heart.

The Dark Shards tried to protect the dark citizens, but since there were no Hearts of Pure Darkness to channel their energy to, they failed. And remember: the KoPH wasn't made until after the Evil Darkness took over, though the Pure Hearts preexisted it. The χ-blade shattered during the War, so the Shard's purpose was not to protect the KoPH. The Light Shards protected and gave power to the Pure Hearts, helping them seal the Darkness and recreate the World. The Dark Shards then waited for someone to come along who wants to bring Kingdom Hearts out of the Realm of Darkness, to atone for their losing the War, and return the Dark citizens to their original state. Enter Xehanort.

lol, that's such awkward courtesy. ;)
There's no need to reiterate that; I think it's fair to assume that no one here intends to sound like an ass. If someone did, it'd be obvious. Soooo go ahead and make yourself more casual, it's more fun that way.

Sorry, I'm used to trolls on other sites. o_O You would not believe how bad some of them are. They're like Xehanort, only stupider. XD

So, did any of this help?

Nayru's Love

Awards
True. But that only proves that Kingdom Hearts is controlled by Darkness, since "Ansem" gained more power as he got closer to it.

Keep in mind that XH didn't actually experience KH until the DtD opened at the very end, to which that obviously ended with him being obliterated.

But, this theory does fill in blanks rather nicely. It's the type of thing others can base their theories from.
Filling in the blanks is one thing, but making sure your answers don't have blanks themselves is another. The more material supporting a particular answer/theory, the more credible the latter becomes, the more probable it also becomes.

Example: Theory of the original name of the X-Blade being "Death Blade." Why was its name changed? What was achieved in changing its name? Does whatever achievement reflect any particular theme or plot device of the series? Has a similar case happened before? How relevant would such a name change be to the progress of the series?

"Ansem" gained power from the Dark outer shell (coughHeartlesscough) of Kingdom Hearts. He was defeated as a result of the Light within Kingdom Hearts. It reacted to the Shard(s) of Light Sora has. (He has Ventus', but we're unsure if he has one of his own yet.) The Light rushed out to meet him, and "Ansem" was destroyed. However, he continued to live on in Riku, until the Kingdom Hearts Encoder blew up.

Given how the 7/13 concept probably wasn't thought of during KH1 development and how there's no clear evidence of any type of correlation between the 7/13 shards and KH as it is in the RoD, it's a lot easier to just say that KH did its own thing.

The Dark Shards tried to protect the dark citizens, but since there were no Hearts of Pure Darkness to channel their energy to, they failed.
It's more of a question of why they're meant to protect RoD inhabitants.

And remember: the KoPH wasn't made until after the Evil Darkness took over, though the Pure Hearts preexisted it. The χ-blade shattered during the War, so the Shard's purpose was not to protect the KoPH. The Light Shards protected and gave power to the Pure Hearts, helping them seal the Darkness and recreate the World. The Dark Shards then waited for someone to come along who wants to bring Kingdom Hearts out of the Realm of Darkness, to atone for their losing the War, and return the Dark citizens to their original state. Enter Xehanort.
The destruction of the X-Blade symbolizes the departure of KH, therefore the end of the Keyblade War. The purpose of the 7 lights wasn't in relation to anyone except those related to KH in certain form/s. Specifically, the 7 PoH. In other words, nothing suggests a correlation between the 7 lights and almost everyone else.

Sorry, I'm used to trolls on other sites. o_O You would not believe how bad some of them are.
Given my experience with trolls on this site, you'll find it easy to distinguish them from everyone else.

So, did any of this help?
Well, you rely toooo much on speculation. While having theories/arguments that make sense is important, it's arguably more important that they seem probable, which is usually achieved through finding patterns in the series material that would support those arguments.

Xblade13

Awards
Keep in mind that XH didn't actually experience KH until the DtD opened at the very end, to which that obviously ended with him being obliterated.
Well,
Ansem Seeker of Darkness said:
Take a look around you. Within this dark abyss lies the heart of all worlds. Kingdom Hearts! Look as hard as you are able. You will not find even the smallest glimmer of Light. From these dark depths, are all hearts born. Even yours.
From this, I thought he meant the dark abyss WAS Kingdom Hearts, or in my example, the dark Heartless-esque shell around the True Kingdom Hearts, which is Light. The Door there is the Door that the KoPH unlocks. However, since Kingdom Hearts is more powerful even in it's battered form than half the χ-blade and the PoH, then it can still force the Door open to attempt to communicate, like it tried to contact Sora's Shard(s). That is what I believe.
Filling in the blanks is one thing, but making sure your answers don't have blanks themselves is another. The more material supporting a particular answer/theory, the more credible the latter becomes, the more probable it also becomes.Example: Theory of the original name of the X-Blade being "Death Blade." Why was its name changed? What was achieved in changing its name? Does whatever achievement reflect any particular theme or plot device of the series? Has a similar case happened before? How relevant would such a name change be to the progress of the series?
The χ-blade isn't the only example of a name change in the series. Terranort changed his name from Xehanort to Ansem, the name his Essence of the Heart would use as well. His Nobody used that name, but added an X and scrambled the letters to make Xemnas. Xemnas then used this same method to rename all the Organization XIII members. Also, Ansem the Wise changed his name to DiZ to hide his identity. It is this example that best fits the χ-blade's renaming.Before the War, when all was peaceful, the weapon's name may have been the Life-blade, on account it protected the source of life, Kingdom Hearts. After the War, the children decided to rename it using the letter χ, which means death. This name change could have been an attempt to limit the desire for the weapon, so that the Keyblade War would not happen again. They banked on everyone fearing such a weapon and having no desire to get it. And it worked for a while. But Xehanort does not fear Darkness, so the name χ-blade didn't stop him from seeking it. If anything, having the name of Death-blade probably enthralled him greater.As for how the name change is relevant to the future: it is probably possible that Xehanort thinks the "Death-blade" will allow him to defeat anyone who tries to fight him. If the χ-blade's purpose is to actually protect life, it may not work at all for him, leading to his downfall.
Given how the 7/13 concept probably wasn't thought of during KH1 development and how there's no clear evidence of any type of correlation between the 7/13 shards and KH as it is in the RoD, it's a lot easier to just say that KH did its own thing.
Adding to past events to reveal a plot device is not a stranger to the series. See: Xion in 358/2 Days, the entirety of BBS (especially the Terra-Xehanort business), multiple keyblade wielders throughout the series, and time travel in DDD.Also, they at least knew 13 was going to be an important number back then. There are 13 explorable worlds in KH1: Destiny Islands, Traverse Town, Wonderland, Olympus Colliseum, Deep Jungle, Agrabah, Hundred Acre Wood, Monstro, Atlantica, Halloween Town. Neverland, Hollow Bastion, and The End of the World. Plus, I think there were 13 Ansem Reports in the game (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, obviously, the 7 PoH. Then in CoM: 13 floors for Sora, 13 floors for Riku. 7 Nobodies in the castle during the game (Naminé, Vexen, Lexeaus, Zexion, Axel, Larxene, and Marluxia).It seems like they knew that both 7 and 13 were going to be important throughout the series.
It's more of a question of why they're meant to protect RoD inhabitants.
They could very well be protecting all of the people. I just felt that Shards of Darkness would focus more on the dark citizens. Maybe the theory could be changed to them protecting the general people. People of both Light and Darkness were consumed by hatred and greed (ie, Evil Darkness), so people from both would now be Pureblood Heartless in the RoD.As for why Shards would protect common people, all hearts are connected to Kingdom Hearts. If all hearts are overun by Darkness, Kingdom Hearts will be too. Which is exactly what hapened.
The destruction of the X-Blade symbolizes the departure of KH, therefore the end of the Keyblade War. The purpose of the 7 lights wasn't in relation to anyone except those related to KH in certain form/s. Specifically, the 7 PoH. In other words, nothing suggests a correlation between the 7 lights and almost everyone else.
Yes, the χ-blade shattering led to the Darkness corrupting Kingdom Hearts, destroying the World. But, it is possible the War continued for a short time over the Shards, resulting in Darkness entering everyone's hearts, which are connected to Kingdom Hearts. Since they fell to Darkness, KH did the same.Otherwise, how would anyone, including Xehanort, know the number of Shards, especially the Dark ones? If the χ-blade shattered and the World instantly fell to Darkness, how would anyone know the number of Shards? You could argue that Xehanort was told about it by the Dark Shards themselves (if they can be said to speak), but then how would Eraqus and Yen Sid know?It's more likely that the last leg of the War was over the Shards. Thus, by the end of it, everyone knew about them, including the surviving children. These children kept the information in case it was needed, but kept it relatively secret (ie, told only Keyblade Masters).
Well, you rely toooo much on speculation. While having theories/arguments that make sense is important, it's arguably more important that they seem probable, which is usually achieved through finding patterns in the series material that would support those arguments.
The more we discuss it, the more patterns we can find that fit the theory. Now, let's narrow it down some more. :D (If you can't tell, I love to theorize.)Also, as you can see by me changing the Shards of Darkness' purpose from specifically protecting the dark citizens to protecting all the people, I am willing to change the theory to reflect new info. This thread will act like a large-sized puzzle. Place the pieces together, then if they fit better somewhere else, move them. Or if they don't go to the same puzzle, remove them.Happy theorizing! :)

Nayru's Love

Awards
Well,From this, I thought he meant the dark abyss WAS Kingdom Hearts, or in my example, the dark Heartless-esque shell around the True Kingdom Hearts, which is Light. The Door there is the Door that the KoPH unlocks. However, since Kingdom Hearts is more powerful even in it's battered form than half the χ-blade and the PoH, then it can still force the Door open to attempt to communicate, like it tried to contact Sora's Shard(s). That is what I believe.
Keep in mind that your source is XH, the character with undeniably the most disturbing darkness fetish in the series. His bias makes him more unreliable than even KHwiki. Given how the 7 PoH act as substitutes in the RoL for KH, it seems fair to conclude that KH, as an entity, is purely light. I'd go so far as to say that the reason why there are (assumedly) no natural hearts of pure darkness is because all natural hearts have at least some level of light within them, constituting KH's nature as the heart of all worlds.

(off-topic: I might develop a theory involving a pseudo-KH of sorts for cases such as Vanitas.)

The χ-blade isn't the only example of a name change in the series. Terranort changed his name from Xehanort to Ansem, the name his Essence of the Heart would use as well. His Nobody used that name, but added an X and scrambled the letters to make Xemnas. Xemnas then used this same method to rename all the Organization XIII members. Also, Ansem the Wise changed his name to DiZ to hide his identity. It is this example that best fits the χ-blade's renaming.Before the War, when all was peaceful, the weapon's name may have been the Life-blade, on account it protected the source of life, Kingdom Hearts. After the War, the children decided to rename it using the letter χ, which means death. This name change could have been an attempt to limit the desire for the weapon, so that the Keyblade War would not happen again. They banked on everyone fearing such a weapon and having no desire to get it. And it worked for a while. But Xehanort does not fear Darkness, so the name χ-blade didn't stop him from seeking it. If anything, having the name of Death-blade probably enthralled him greater.As for how the name change is relevant to the future: it is probably possible that Xehanort thinks the "Death-blade" will allow him to defeat anyone who tries to fight him. If the χ-blade's purpose is to actually protect life, it may not work at all for him, leading to his downfall.
In the KH universe, a special name reflects that person's purpose and nature. In that sense, you have credibility. However, I would argue that the concept goes deeper. In regards to purpose and nature, those traits usually reflect the central themes of the series in some form or another.

Braig to Xigbar:
1. Represents the difference in nature between the two, specifically how Braig feels emotions. That, by extension, reflects how emotions (and, by extension, hearts) define who someone is.
2. Represents Xehanort's influence over Braig. In turn, that reflects the theme of losing yourself.

AtW to DiZ: Given that he lost his identity, "Darkness in Zero" reflects how his anger and hatred are all that's left of him that defines who he is. And that he's in the Realm of In-between.

Xehanort to Ansem: Gonna be honest. Even though I still feel like there's still some unknown meaning, I don't know how to elaborate on this one.

Well, a minimum of 3/4 is good enough for me to call "meanings relevant to established themes" an established pattern.

Adding to past events to reveal a plot device is not a stranger to the series. See: Xion in 358/2 Days, the entirety of BBS (especially the Terra-Xehanort business), multiple keyblade wielders throughout the series, and time travel in DDD.Also, they at least knew 13 was going to be an important number back then. There are 13 explorable worlds in KH1: Destiny Islands, Traverse Town, Wonderland, Olympus Colliseum, Deep Jungle, Agrabah, Hundred Acre Wood, Monstro, Atlantica, Halloween Town. Neverland, Hollow Bastion, and The End of the World. Plus, I think there were 13 Ansem Reports in the game (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, obviously, the 7 PoH. Then in CoM: 13 floors for Sora, 13 floors for Riku. 7 Nobodies in the castle during the game (Naminé, Vexen, Lexeaus, Zexion, Axel, Larxene, and Marluxia).It seems like they knew that both 7 and 13 were going to be important throughout the series.
Accidental additions to the canon universe do indeed happen. Case in point, Riku passing his keyblade to Roxas. However, the key word is accidental. Meaning, it's essentially useless to predict them happening if such concepts haven't probably even been elaborated upon. Given how KH1 clearly revolved around KH lore's early and undeveloped days, it's even more unlikely that a correlation between KH and the shards in that manner could be safely established, given the integrity of that example (as in, it could potentially relate to/affect several natural laws in the KH universe).

Also, I was talking more so about the "7 lights/13 darknesses" concept rather than the numbers in general.

They could very well be protecting all of the people. I just felt that Shards of Darkness would focus more on the dark citizens. Maybe the theory could be changed to them protecting the general people.
The question isn't so much "what is the reason" as it is "why would the reason even relate to such and such in the first place."

.As for why Shards would protect common people, all hearts are connected to Kingdom Hearts. If all hearts are overun by Darkness, Kingdom Hearts will be too. Which is exactly what hapened.
Yes and no. KH resides in the RoD because of the birth of darkness in peoples' hearts. However, even though KH is the heart of everything, that does not mean that it's a literal reflection.

Here's a clearer example. I may not know your religious beliefs, but I'm sure you have fair knowledge over the Christian God (mainly that he's both all-knowing and all-powerful). "God" knows what it's like to be imperfect and to have weaknesses, because he understands through humans. However, given that he's all-powerful, he isn't imperfect or have any weaknesses, even though he knows what it is like.

Paradox. Contradiction. Incomprehensible. Call it whatever you want. Case in point, it's a fair comparison, if I may say so myself.

Yes, the χ-blade shattering led to the Darkness corrupting Kingdom Hearts, destroying the World. But, it is possible the War continued for a short time over the Shards, resulting in Darkness entering everyone's hearts, which are connected to Kingdom Hearts. Since they fell to Darkness, KH did the same.Otherwise, how would anyone, including Xehanort, know the number of Shards, especially the Dark ones? If the χ-blade shattered and the World instantly fell to Darkness, how would anyone know the number of Shards? You could argue that Xehanort was told about it by the Dark Shards themselves (if they can be said to speak), but then how would Eraqus and Yen Sid know?It's more likely that the last leg of the War was over the Shards. Thus, by the end of it, everyone knew about them, including the surviving children. These children kept the information in case it was needed, but kept it relatively secret (ie, told only Keyblade Masters).

If KH being summoned results in the reunion of all worlds, it's fair to say that KH's absence altogether results in the separation of all worlds, as well. Furthermore, the entire reason behind the separation of worlds was to prevent the chaos that resulted from the clashing of forces of all kinds. Taking those two points into consideration, we can reason that the destruction of the X-Blade, the separation of worlds, and the departure of KH are all codependent effects (for lack of better wording) that happened at the same time.

In regards to knowledge, well. We can argue why at least some people know of the existence of the Keyblade of Peoples' Heart, the existence of the X-Blade itself, etc. Moral of the story, it's pretty rare to find a case where the fact that someone/people having knowledge over a certain subject actually means something.

Also, as you can see by me changing the Shards of Darkness' purpose from specifically protecting the dark citizens to protecting all the people, I am willing to change the theory to reflect new info. This thread will act like a large-sized puzzle. Place the pieces together, then if they fit better somewhere else, move them. Or if they don't go to the same puzzle, remove them.Happy theorizing! :)

BITCH, I've been theorizing for a few years now, if it wasn't obvious in the first place. Clearly, I'm going to be familiar with the nature of theorizing, lolol

Not saying that I'm offended or anything, of course. You'll just find that I'm one of the last people you'll have to remind the joys of theorizing, given how I've given my fair share of theories and critique on this site (and still continuing <33). Given the decent quality of your current knowledge over KH lore, and assuming you can walk your talk over your love for theorizing, I'm open to the idea of you earning some rep in the future.

Xblade13

Awards
Keep in mind that your source is XH, the character with undeniably the most disturbing darkness fetish in the series. His bias makes him more unreliable than even KHwiki.
I guess I was taking the "he is Master Xehanort's Heart" thing a little too seriously. Oh well.
Given how the 7 PoH act as substitutes in the RoL for KH, it seems fair to conclude that KH, as an entity, is purely light.
Well, I did state KH itself was Light, although it is now trapped in Darkness. Theory or no theory, that's the truth.
(off-topic: I might develop a theory involving a pseudo-KH of sorts for cases such as Vanitas.)
I look forward to reading it. I have a few random theories in the pipelines myself. This one, I admit, was a spur-of-the-moment idea. The other ones have been longer thought-out. My next thread might be an attempt at identifying all 13 Darknesses. I'll do a countdown approach: list all the possibilities, then figure out the likelihood of each. It will also include info on Essences of the Heart, which are basically Hearts who are not Heartless (I think I mentioned them earlier).
In the KH universe, a special name reflects that person's purpose and nature. In that sense, you have credibility. However, I would argue that the concept goes deeper. In regards to purpose and nature, those traits usually reflect the central themes of the series in some form or another.Braig to Xigbar: 1. Represents the difference in nature between the two, specifically how Braig feels emotions. That, by extension, reflects how emotions (and, by extension, hearts) define who someone is.2. Represents Xehanort's influence over Braig. In turn, that reflects the theme of losing yourself.AtW to DiZ: Given that he lost his identity, "Darkness in Zero" reflects how his anger and hatred are all that's left of him that defines who he is. And that he's in the Realm of In-betweenXehanort to Ansem: Gonna be honest. Even though I still feel like there's still some unknown meaning, I don't know how to elaborate on this one.Well, a minimum of 3/4 is good enough for me to call "meanings relevant to established themes" an established pattern.
I agree on all. I kind of went more boring historian on the χ-blade's name rather than looking into the philosophical meanings of names in the series. Also, Terra-Xehanort changing his name to Ansem confuses us all. I can kind of understand the idea of it: ruin the name of the man who tried to stop you from conducting your beloved experiments. Why it should really matter to either Terra or Xehanort remains a mystery, though. *scratches head*
Accidental additions to the canon universe do indeed happen. Case in point, Riku passing his keyblade to Roxas.
Wait, WHAT? I thought Roxas' 2 keyblades were Sora's and Xion's-which may in fact be Ven's. Or do you mean that since Sora's is the one Riku was originally meant to have, that Roxas got it through Sora? Because that wasn't really an addition; it was present in the first game. Tell me, I'm curious.
Yes and no. KH resides in the RoD because of the birth of darkness in peoples' hearts. However, even though KH is the heart of everything, that does not mean that it's a literal reflection.Here's a clearer example. I may not know your religious beliefs, but I'm sure you have fair knowledge over the Christian God (mainly that he's both all-knowing and all-powerful). "God" knows what it's like to be imperfect and to have weaknesses, because he understands through humans. However, given that he's all-powerful, he isn't imperfect or have any weaknesses, even though he knows what it is like.Paradox. Contradiction. Incomprehensible. Call it whatever you want. Case in point, it's a fair comparison, if I may say so myself.
Hmm, never really thought of it that way. But if Kingdom Hearts was all-powerful like the Christian God, then how is it trapped in the Realm of Darkness? Couldn't it just free itself?
If KH being summoned results in the reunion of all worlds, it's fair to say that KH's absence altogether results in the separation of all worlds, as well. Furthermore, the entire reason behind the separation of worlds was to prevent the chaos that resulted from the clashing of forces of all kinds. Taking those two points into consideration, we can reason that the destruction of the X-Blade, the separation of worlds, and the departure of KH are all codependent effects (for lack of better wording) that happened at the same time.In regards to knowledge, well. We can argue why at least some people know of the existence of the Keyblade of Peoples' Heart, the existence of the X-Blade itself, etc. Moral of the story, it's pretty rare to find a case where the fact that someone/people having knowledge over a certain subject actually means something.
Fair enough. I relent.
BITCH, I've been theorizing for a few years now, if it wasn't obvious in the first place. Clearly, I'm going to be familiar with the nature of theorizing, lololNot saying that I'm offended or anything, of course. You'll just find that I'm one of the last people you'll have to remind the joys of theorizing, given how I've given my fair share of theories and critique on this site (and still continuing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back