• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

PSP being brought back?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allister Rose

French Lover
well for those SE fans or PSP fans, do you think the PSP is going to be brought back into popularity? i know kh3d is pretty close to coming out and most of assume that once it does PSP will die qiockly.

but considering all these new games coming out from SE and from other game companies like God Eater, S4 league portable, and Tron evolution, do you think the PSP is going to end with a good fight?

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Dunno. Wouldn't be the first time there's a fantastic line up for PSP planned after which things went down again. I'm kind of interested of what's going to happen when 3DS comes out. One of the things that were cited against the PSP was it's high price (even now it's still a bit more expensive than the DS). When 3DS comes out it looks like that situation'll get reversed.

I do think they'll need to go for a new PSP though. The hardware's being pushed to it's limit now.

Allister Rose

French Lover
not so sure..if they do go for next gen, then that would be great. and they could make hardware to resemble their previous ones.

still i can see why the PSP cost more than DS. but if #ds is even cheaper then i guess thats even better. still, no use throwing away a perfectly good system that stilll gives satisfaction.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
It will not be brought back into popularity. There is hardly any support from the west, excluding first-party titles from Sony, despite some recent promise to have more developers working on it. When you look at the release of games that may come into the future for the PSP such as this: IGN Advertisement then I would laugh if the PSP is 'being brought back'.

For KH fans here, they want to believe it will be brought back into popularity. The thing is, they have yet to realise that Kingdom Hearts does not sell a console. In the west, Home Consoles are still the top dog whilst the handhelds such as the DS and iPhone are usual casual-gaming titles with the PSP just desperately trying to be the 'core gamer's console'.

Edit: Huzzah, I love you, guys. I got an Infraction! A shame i get these on the other website that it's almost like a gift.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
"Back into popularity"

Haha, like it ever was popular in North America anyway.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Yeah, especially due to the UMD formatting, the PSP was never really popular for the west with developers and thus didn't get that much support. It still is pretty hot in Japan though at least. Hopefully with the (still in development) PSP2, that will change. Sony is pushing for a jump in PSP sales now though. What with all these new games and bundles coming out of the woodwork and finally bringing the PSP camera over to the west.

The PSP has great potential. Always has. Thus the reason people hack and custom firmware it all the time. In addition to that it does have a pretty large selection of downloadable games. The one niche that I see with SCE though is, there are so many great apps and games worldwide for the PSP, if they were universal and not limited only to certain regions, there would be a lot more support for the system. And that goes for the PS3 as well.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
The problem was that it was advertised as something that can play music, video, and hold pictures. It wasn't really advertised as much of a gaming system, so developers weren't interested.

So it is probably too late for it here.

Allister Rose

French Lover
Yeah, especially due to the UMD formatting, the PSP was never really popular for the west with developers and thus didn't get that much support. It still is pretty hot in Japan though at least. Hopefully with the (still in development) PSP2, that will change. Sony is pushing for a jump in PSP sales now though. What with all these new games and bundles coming out of the woodwork and finally bringing the PSP camera over to the west.

The PSP has great potential. Always has. Thus the reason people hack and custom firmware it all the time. In addition to that it does have a pretty large selection of downloadable games. The one niche that I see with SCE though is, there are so many great apps and games worldwide for the PSP, if they were universal and not limited only to certain regions, there would be a lot more support for the system. And that goes for the PS3 as well.

what do you mean? the games aren't region locked on PSP. still i agree. i think they're still trying to advertise it more and for me, when i buy a random PSP game it usually turns out good. unfortunately it's just not advertised the same way the DS is. still i tihnk they're doing it now with the whole amrcus thing (not a big fan fo the comercial) and hopefully sales get bett

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
what do you mean? the games aren't region locked on PSP. still i agree. i think they're still trying to advertise it more and for me, when i buy a random PSP game it usually turns out good. unfortunately it's just not advertised the same way the DS is. still i tihnk they're doing it now with the whole amrcus thing (not a big fan fo the comercial) and hopefully sales get bett

Though there is no region lock, a lot of people are still on the fence to order something from overseas. That can play a part too.

Allister Rose

French Lover
Though there is no region lock, a lot of people are still on the fence to order something from overseas. That can play a part too.
that's true...but for me it always easy for me to get a PSP rather than a ds because not everygame satisfied me and was hard to choose some, but wheni got a PSP any random game was satisfying (except sports and cars).

so i guess i'm a bit bias on it

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
that's true...but for me it always easy for me to get a PSP rather than a ds because not everygame satisfied me and was hard to choose some, but wheni got a PSP any random game was satisfying (except sports and cars).

Wow, I wonder if the graphical processor play a part in it. I'm the opposite of you, I believe there are more quality games on the DS [The World Ends with You, Dragon Quest, Phoenix Wright, a lot of point-and-click games, some RTS and good RPGs] than there were on the PSP. In my experience, there are far more rubbish on the PSP than the DS, which makes me dislike the platform.

Allister Rose

French Lover
yeah i thought some of the games were pretty dumb at first and dind't even bother to pick one up but when i bought it for BBS all those years ago and was really bored, i bought a random game and turned out really good.

then i tried expirementing on it. plus i hate dragon quest and pheonix wright and ihave those games on my DS

Hayley Williams

Personally I've liked the PSP more for the things it can do other than gaming; camera, mp3, video, internet, etc. The only games I've really liked where Yu-gi-oh Tag Force 1 &2 (back in the day), Final Fantasy Tactics, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Crisis Core, and, of course, Birth By Sleep.

That being said, the DSi pretty much nailed the PSP in it's coffin. I think it will really depends on what the 3DS and the PSP2 bring to the table.

Allister Rose

French Lover
i honestly don't know why they came up with DSi if they were going to make a 3DS. though even though i have a DSi, it depends on if the person likes those features or not. for me, i dont take pictures and basically use it for drawing only, but very rarely considering they don't look as good as they do on paper.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
I feel that the PSP is underrated as it is and has probably expired its useful lifespan. Introducing a 'PSP2' would probably be a better investment than trying to repopularize the PSP.

Allister Rose

French Lover
I feel that the PSP is underrated as it is and has probably expired its useful lifespan. Introducing a 'PSP2' would probably be a better investment than trying to repopularize the PSP.
i gues that's true, hopefully (if they ever do make one) the PSP2 will be backward compatible.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
I've got both, and it's about equal for me. I have stuff I like on both and both have a lot of crappy games. In my opinion the DS has more shovelware, but then again there are probably a whole lot more DS games in total anyway.

Short story: satisfied with both since day one.

Allister Rose

French Lover
but anyways, PSP series probably will be brought back, if sony decides to further advertize the games more than the system, though the system is still pretty good. and probably lower prices

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
i gues that's true, hopefully (if they ever do make one) the PSP2 will be backward compatible.

I heard a rumor a long time back that they were planning one for Christmas this year, and in fact, my sister is waiting on it. Though because the rumor mill has been fairly stagnant on this issue, I am now quickly turning doubtful.

Allister Rose

French Lover
same here, but then i saw some rumors about it here too that seem credible, but hoepfully we get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back