• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

PS4 or PS4 Pro

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
This is the first time I've made a thread in here. xD

I'd like to know if I'd be better invested with a PS4 Pro instead of the PS4? I know it's a bit more expensive, but is there that much of a difference between the two? I just wanna know, cause I want to be able to play KH2.8, Persona 5, World of FF, and FFXV without a problem. But I hear that the PS4 doesn't have a lot of GB or space? Anyways, I'm planning to buy it next year. In the meantime, any thoughts from current PS4 users would be greatly appreciated! C:

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
The PS4 Slim is your best option in my opinion. It's far more price efficient than the Pro, and it's easy to find one with a game already bundled in, such as Uncharted 4 or FFXV. The slim has 1 TB of memory, which in my opinion is more than enough. I've been running with an original PS4 since Day 1 and the 500GB it comes with has only been annoying a couple of time. The PS4 Pro really is only a decent option if you have a 4K TV. The extra $100 is a bit much for features that your eye can barely physically notice. Games will run just fine on the normal PS4/Slim. I haven't a problem to date with mine :smile:.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Good question. I'm on the fence and seriously considering updating, my PS4 (original) has seen a decent amount of wear since launch. I couldn't really see myself buying another one until bare minimum mid 2017. Same with a 4k TV lol. Being hindered by the flimsy 500G (which was gone shortly after Second Son released) is easily the only complaint I really have because I have a stack of games, both disc and digital that I can only play sparingly due to space issues...ffs.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Unless you have a 4K TV, there's not much of a point in getting the Pro. So I'd just stick with the cheaper version, you still get the HDR update on all versions of the PS4, so if you have a solid 1080p television, that'll make things look nice.

And if you're worried about hard drive storage, this is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8O6OQ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And then I replaced the 500 gig one from the PS4 and put it in my PS3, since I had an 80 gig launch model. It's a great way to reuse hard drives.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
The slim is the way to go. Unless you like triple decker sandwiches...then PS4P.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
The Pro seems like it'll have notable improvements for 1080p TV's.For only 100$ more i get a better system.If the slim was at least a major improvement to the original maybe it would have been worth it.

Of course if you just don't care for visual/stable improvements than get the slim.

Last edited:

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
The Pro seems like it'll have notable improvements for 1080p TV's.For only 100$ more i get a better system.If the slim was at least a major improvement to the original maybe it would have been worth it.

Of course if you just don't care for visual/stable improvements than get the slim.

No it doesn't actually. Not to intentionally disagree or anything, but while it does come with HDR enabled (if your TV supports that), both the original PS4 and the Slim have been upgraded to do that. The 4K benefits on the Pro are some of the only guaranteed benefits it'll have out of the box (minus storage and whatnot), and that feature is only visible on 4K TVs, not a normal 1080p-supporting television.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
No it doesn't actually. Not to intentionally disagree or anything, but while it does come with HDR enabled (if your TV supports that), both the original PS4 and the Slim have been upgraded to do that. The 4K benefits on the Pro are some of the only guaranteed benefits it'll have out of the box (minus storage and whatnot), and that feature is only visible on 4K TVs, not a normal 1080p-supporting television.
It actually does.

This shows how bad PR has been for the Pro.People seem to think it'll only benefit 4K TV's when it won't.

1080p TV's get just any many benefits with stuff like downsampling/supersampling.In the end it's still up to the developers on what do want to do be it improved visuals/stability or something like Tomb raider where there's multiple graphical modes to choose from.

Just look at what they plan on doing with Pro mode of FFXV.It's already been confirmed by Tabata that FFXV will have better graphics on the Pro and later down the road they plan on releasing more patches to take advantage of the hardware even more.

You also got Titanfall Devs saying this
“It’s a PS4 that’s faster. We’re able to increase the resolution, we have high-res shadows, and maybe higher particle counts. The frame rate is more stable; we have dynamic resolution scaling on all consoles, but it scales down less often on PS4 Pro to maintain 60 frames-per-second.”

The pro has great benefits whether you have a 1080p or a 4kTV.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
If you already have a PS4 and don't have a 4K TV, there aren't many reasons to give up your current PS4 and upgrade. If you don't have a PS4, Pro is the better, faster, more powerful machine even if you don't have a 4K TV. Even on 1080p as a few above have said, there are benefits.

I wouldn't say it's worth it to upgrade right now if you already own a PS4 but if it's your first PS4 system, go for it. The original PS4 launched at $399. You're getting a better machine for the same price.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The PS4Pro absolutely benefits TV's that aren't 4K.

Quite a few of the reveals for PS4Pro patches have revealed there's options for 1080p with visual effects turned right up and AA on.

Games are also downsampled and look better than regular PS4 games. Here's a thread with Titanfall comparisons and here's one with Ratchet and Clank. Rise of the Tomb Raider also detailed their Pro updates with a video:

[video=youtube;zIm27wrT4jo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIm27wrT4jo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

And here's information about Hitman:

Offering the latest visual and technical enhancements, on the PS4 Pro, HITMAN has had a whole new layer of detail added to it; the overall resolution has been increased, aliasing reduced, reflective surfaces improved and we get more detailed lighting effects, all without compromising the frame rate or the overall gaming experience. A clean and crisp UI rendered natively in 4K, furthermore it uses the extra memory of the PS4 Pro to stream in higher quality textures, yielding more details. Agent 47 has never looked so good.

“With HITMAN we made a live game which is constantly improving and the PS4 Pro aligns perfectly with that vision of constant improvement, we’re proud to support it,” said Hannes Seifert, Studio Head, Io-Interactive.

Players without 4K will also benefit from the increased resolution as the image will be downsampled to 1080p to benefit from higher quality shading and less flickering highlights.

Moving forward, 4K TV or not, I would recommend the Pro.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Personally, I am completely fine with the resolution of my normal PS4. I'd say get the PS4 and save yourself some money.~

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
This is the first time I've made a thread in here. xD

I'd like to know if I'd be better invested with a PS4 Pro instead of the PS4? I know it's a bit more expensive, but is there that much of a difference between the two? I just wanna know, cause I want to be able to play KH2.8, Persona 5, World of FF, and FFXV without a problem. But I hear that the PS4 doesn't have a lot of GB or space? Anyways, I'm planning to buy it next year. In the meantime, any thoughts from current PS4 users would be greatly appreciated! C:

If you don't have a PS4, get the Pro between release and the release of 2.8. Find a good deal around the holidays and snatch it.

That's what I am doing as well. ;)

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
The PS4Pro absolutely benefits TV's that aren't 4K.

Quite a few of the reveals for PS4Pro patches have revealed there's options for 1080p with visual effects turned right up and AA on.

Games are also downsampled and look better than regular PS4 games. Here's a thread with Titanfall comparisons and here's one with Ratchet and Clank. Rise of the Tomb Raider also detailed their Pro updates with a video:

[video=youtube;zIm27wrT4jo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIm27wrT4jo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

And here's information about Hitman:

Moving forward, 4K TV or not, I would recommend the Pro.

Yeah, but the differences are very minimal at best. And all this support is nothing more than PR talk to try and sell the Pro. I'd rather have a slim with 2 quality games than a pro with a singular quality game because of the £100 price difference. And at the end of the day, if you want "fidelity faithful" graphics, game on a PC.

Get yourself a slim. It's a cheaper investment and 4K is still in a transitional stage with the general public.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
You have FFXV aiming for 60fps on the pro now,that isn't minimal at all.

That's just an alternate way of experiencing Final Fantasy XV. And even so, what guarantee that the framerate will be consistently 60FPS on the PS4 Pro? People want consistent framerates not the highest framerates just for the sake of it.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I'd guess just going with the Pro if it is your first PS4. If you already have one don't waste money to upgrade unless you're a graphics junky.

I honestly don't see what's wrong with 30FPS. Uncharted 4 was that and it looked beautiful and real. I honestly thought the 60FPS multi-player was jarring. It always looks "faker" to me. Maybe that's just me.

At the end of the day I would rather have 1080p 30FPS stable than possible dips from a much more expensive Pro+4KTV 4K ~60FPS. Sure it can reach that but can it keep that? Constantly fluctuating would be awful. And I doubt we'll get truly stable 60FPS 4K until next gen.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
the pro is a pretty solid way to get swindled out of money by sony.

there is virtually no reason, 4k tv or not, to purchase a pro. this is coming from someone who owns a 4k tv and was very eager to learn more about the pro. i ended up buying a slim because i think the pro is a shameless cash grab. please save yourself some $$$.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Real quick, does anybody know if the PS4 slim can play Blu-ray or not? I've been searching online and haven't gotten a solid answer. :3 And thank you everyone for telling me the PS4 slim is way better than the pro.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Real quick, does anybody know if the PS4 slim can play Blu-ray or not? I've been searching online and haven't gotten a solid answer. :3 And thank you everyone for telling me the PS4 slim is way better than the pro.
PS4 games are all blu ray format, the slim does everything the OG pa4 does, I believe the only noticeable differences are the console size and controller light bat locations.

To answer your question; yes it does.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
PS4 games are all blu ray format, the slim does everything the OG pa4 does, I believe the only noticeable differences are the console size and controller light bat locations.

To answer your question; yes it does.

That's awesome to hear. Thank you, Chuman! Much appreciated! C:

And on that final note, I'm a proud owner of a PS4 Slim. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back