• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

PS3, 360, And Wii's Library Of Games Rated

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight93

Bronze Member
Awards
Hotel In Traverse Town, Trying To Sneak Out Withou
graph.png

Nintendo’s latest entrant into the console war has no doubt been the company’s most successful entry since the original Nintendo Entertainment System in the 80s. The Wii has managed to continually sell out in stores since its release in November of 2006. In just a meager year and half, its already managed to outsell its predecessor, the Gamecube. It shattered the PS2’s record of selling 10 million consoles in the US by a near 4 months. It currently holds the most market share out of the next gen systems. Nintendo, without a doubt, must be extremely proud of Miyamoto’s latest brain child.

That being said, there is something seriously wrong with the Nintendo Wii. No, its not that it doesn’t have the graphical capabilities of the 360/PS3. Nor is it the lackluster online service Nintendo provides either. It isn’t the paltry amount of hard drive space, sometimes unresponsive accelerometers of the nunchuck, or even the chuckle-inspiring name of the console. Its the software library.

BY COMPARISON
Since its release in 2005, there have been some 374 games released for the XBox 360. Of the 374, 86 titles have received a ‘good’ rating(an average ranking of 80% or higher, as per GameRankings). 92 have received ‘poor’ ratings(an average of lower than 60%). That means about 26% of the games for the 360 are ‘good’, and about 24% are considered trash. The PS3 has seen 122 games released, with 40(33%) good games and 20(17%) poor games(ironic considering the most common argument against the PS3 is a lack of good games).

The Wii, released alongside the PS3 in November 2006, has seen a considerable 189 games released. Of these titles, a whoping 69, or 37% are complete trash. On the flipside, there are only 20 good games, making up a minuscule 11% - and of those 20, 4 of them are ports of last generation PS2/Gamecube games! What happened?

Wow, looks like things literally got flipped upside down. With the sales order from highest to lowest being Wii, 360, and Wii, now the highest rated games were switched to PS3, 360, and Wii. Ironic no?

Sources:
Daily GameFunk » Wii Exposed: The Secret that Nintendo Tries to Ignore
PS3 has the best rated library of games to date :: PlayStation Universe (PSU)

S

Shadow Soldier

Well here's my question, if the software is complete trash, why are people still buying the Wii? Is it because it's "innovative" ? No, I think the games are chosen by the people.

Example, say the majority of people hate Lego Star Wars, but I like it. But I didn't review the game, therefore, there is a statistic missing from the poll. You can't really count these polls or anything on gamerankings 100% absolute. It's the preference that makes the difference.

Twilight93

Bronze Member
Awards
Hotel In Traverse Town, Trying To Sneak Out Withou
^Agreed. But with that said, that would mean all reviews are in a sense wrong because the reviewer may not like the game that you might love, that's why almost all reviews differ. Then again, there might be a game that almost everyone dislikes or loves, maybe because of terrible controls or what not. This is basicly all opinion since it is possible someone could love all the games marked as "trash" and vice-versa.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Well, my take on this, is how important are percentages and ratios of good/bad games on a console to anyone at all, other then people who need material like this to fuel completely unecessary console war debates? If this was significant for anything other than a random factoid for some asshole to cite why their console is better for xyz reasons, then like, would the PS2 be the worst console of all time?

The difference here, and the reason why the PS2 is still a great system, is that no one really cares how much shit there is, so long as the top games for the system are still great. People, honestly, expect good things from the top 5% of the console's library, and from there it's just a bunch of games you're not going to spent your money on. So, how many Barbie Horse Adventures the 360 gets isn't going to change how awesome Mass Effect is, Ninjabread Man isn't going to ruin anyone's fun with Mario Galaxy, and Gundam Crossfire isn't going to make people stop caring about Metal Gear Solid 4.

Regardless, I'd say this is still a fault on Nintendo's part. Nintendo needs strict Quality Control on the Wii's Library, otherwise more shit is just going to run rampant. Nintendo needs to bring back the Nintendo Seal of Quality.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
Well, my take on this, is how important are percentages and ratios of good/bad games on a console to anyone at all, other then people who need material like this to fuel completely unecessary console war debates? If this was significant for anything other than a random factoid for some asshole to cite why their console is better for xyz reasons, then like, would the PS2 be the worst console of all time?

The difference here, and the reason why the PS2 is still a great system, is that no one really cares how much shit there is, so long as the top games for the system are still great. People, honestly, expect good things from the top 5% of the console's library, and from there it's just a bunch of games you're not going to spent your money on. So, how many Barbie Horse Adventures the 360 gets isn't going to change how awesome Mass Effect is, Ninjabread Man isn't going to ruin anyone's fun with Mario Galaxy, and Gundam Crossfire isn't going to make people stop caring about Metal Gear Solid 4.

Regardless, I'd say this is still a fault on Nintendo's part. Nintendo needs strict Quality Control on the Wii's Library, otherwise more shit is just going to run rampant. Nintendo needs to bring back the Nintendo Seal of Quality.

QFT.

In fact, more trash just means that the quality stuff shines more brightly. For example:

At the PS3's launch, what was the one game you heard the most about? Probably Resistance. If not, it was just complaints about how Gundam/Untold Legends/NBA 07 SUCKED!

Same with Wii launch. What do we hear about? Wii Sports. the only other Wii launch game i heard about was Excite Truck, which was apparently just "decent".

Conversely, having more quality stuff makes the bad stuff stick out like a sore thumb. Bullet Witch, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back