• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Pronunciation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allister Rose

French Lover
ExBlade sounds far too camp.
ChiBlade, on the other hand, is meant to be ironic and already encompasses any meaning that would have come across through pronouncing it as "ExBlade."

The X-Blade is meant to sound like "Keyblade," as said in the Xehanort reports. To change the pronunciation is to, in effect, alter the canon as well. While pronunciation normally isn't that big of a deal, in this case, it is since it's for a specific purpose.
like i've said before, it only changes the situation slightly. Exblade and keyblade blade do sound similar.

it's like saying Roxas looksl ike sora, in our eyes it doesn't until someone in the story does say it (xemnas)

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I clearly mentioned that its that age group (7 to 12 year olds) that the series is aimed at is who wont understand it.

7-12 year old Japanese children seemed to handle it just fine. Man, even I have more faith in American children than that. Should I not?

This argument was done anyways.

....That part wasn't arguing with you? It was wondering about greek phonology as part of this topic, which wasn't even directed at you, since I could already see that you don't give a shit about understanding languages or cultures other than your own.

Buuuut if people really don't trust wiki...

Chi
22nd letter of the Gk. alphabet, representing a -kh- sound; shaped like an X, it was used to signify such a shape or arrangement.
Online Etymology Dictionary
^My linguistics professors use this site to show us things during lectures, so I'm pretty sure it's trustworthy.

It's more of a 'k' sound rather than a 'ch' sound, it seems.

It's also pretty obvious anyway. For example, the 'chimera' is a monster from Ancient Greek mythology, right? And how do you pronounce that? 'Kai-mee-rah'. So even if it was transliterated as Chi-blade it could be pronounced 'Kai-blade'.

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me
Which is exactly what HeartSeams has been arguing all this time. :C

Awards
like i've said before, it only changes the situation slightly. Exblade and keyblade blade do sound similar.

it's like saying Roxas looksl ike sora, in our eyes it doesn't until someone in the story does say it (xemnas)

What? No.
If you pronounce it as ExBlade, you lose part of the intended meaning of its name. Period.

i think Kai-blade sounds better than both Exblade and chiblade.

You know when we're writing it out as "Chi-Blade," we're not actually saying it's pronounced as "Chee-Blade." That's a different kind of "chi," the one found in taoism. Here we're referring to the Greek letter Chi (as it is written out). However, in terms of pronunciation, it is often said as "kī" (Kai) or kē (Kee).

Kai-blade and Chi-blade as goldpanner is using it are pronounced the same.
The X-Blade in the English game may be pronounced as either "Kai" or "Kee" blade (the latter making more of a connection, but the former still being acceptable).

Allister Rose

French Lover
see english words from greek: chimera, Achilles, Archimedes, chiropractor
some of those are pronounced as "ki".

in FMA they pronounce it kimera, and i'm sure archimedes also pronounced "ki".

I'm just saying it could also be pronounced "EX". i admit i like kai better

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

And then Nomura retconned that Sora and Roxas looking like each other meant something when it turned out that Roxas looked like Ven. Sora and Ven looking like each other is just a coincidence.
So, whatever the pronunciation for the X-Blade is, whether it's Chi, Kai, Ex, etc., it can just be a coincidence that it sounds like "Key".

I just prefer "Ex"

Oh, well. I'm leaving this thread. It's a lost cause.

Allister Rose

French Lover
What? No.
If you pronounce it as ExBlade, you lose part of the intended meaning of its name. Period.

You know when we're writing it out as "Chi-Blade," we're not actually saying it's pronounced as "Chee-Blade." That's a different kind of "chi," the one found in taoism. Here we're referring to the Greek letter Chi (as it is written out). However, in terms of pronunciation, it is often said as "kī" (Kai) or kē (Kee).

Kai-blade and Chi-blade as goldpanner is using it are pronounced the same.
The X-Blade in the English game may be pronounced as either "Kai" or "Kee" blade (the latter making more of a connection, but the former still being acceptable).
in the japanese it's pronounced Chiblade, if they meant kaiblade or Kiblade, they should've just said so instead going on how greek spell their pronounciations. either way, it doens't lose it's intended reason if it's pronounced EX but still mean the greek letter X. the meaning will still apply in some way. just not the same was chiblade and keyblade (japanese)

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
some of those are pronounced as "ki".

in FMA they pronounce it kimera, and i'm sure archimedes also pronounced "ki".

I'm just saying it could also be pronounced "EX". i admit i like kai better

Phonetic readings definitely depend on the sounds that come before and after, because of how our mouths work. It's pretty interesting :3

I have heard people say chimera as k'meera, but I've also heard kaimeera. I'm not sure if it's a ur-doing-it-wrong type thing or just an accent thing...

But the point is, it's definitely still 'English' to spell it with a 'chi' instead of an 'ex'.

That's like saying, oh, people won't understand if you say it like chiropractor, let's call is exopractor instead.

And then Nomura retconned that Sora and Roxas looking like each other meant something when it turned out that Roxas looked like Ven. Sora and Ven looking like each other is just a coincidence.
So, whatever the pronunciation for the X-Blade is, whether it's Chi, Kai, Ex, etc., it can just be a coincidence that it sounds like "Key".

Retcon =/= mistranslation...

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
i think Kai-blade sounds better than both Exblade and chiblade.

i like kaiblade... it sounds more like keyblade than chiblade but if they choose to do exblade then im fine.
-bangs head against desk-

ChiBlade is the same thing as KaiBlade. They're pronounced exactly the same, we've just been writing it as Chi because that's how it's written.

Allister Rose

French Lover
-bangs head against desk-

ChiBlade is the same thing as KaiBlade. They're pronounced exactly the same, we've just been writing it as Chi because that's how it's written.

couldn't you have spelled it how it's pronounce.d i'll let you continue to bang your head.....

Phonetic readings definitely depend on the sounds that come before and after, because of how our mouths work. It's pretty interesting :3

I have heard people say chimera as k'meera, but I've also heard kaimeera. I'm not sure if it's a ur-doing-it-wrong type thing or just an accent thing...

But the point is, it's definitely still 'English' to spell it with a 'chi' instead of an 'ex'.

That's like saying, oh, people won't understand if you say it like chiropractor, let's call is exopractor instead.
one chiropractor isn't spelled with an X, so that example doesn't work.

KingdomSoul333

Bronze Member
i think if it were pronounced keeblade like someone said earlier it would make the most sense considering key and kee sound the same and it is in the Xehenort report.

Awards
it doens't lose it's intended reason if it's pronounced EX but still mean the greek letter X.

Yes it does, again.
The point is to make it sound like "Keyblade" Ex doesn't sound like Key, at all.
If it were pronounced "Ex" yet still used the Greek letter "X" then that would be mispronouncing.

If they changed it to "Ex," they would pretty much be changing it to an entirely different letter (the English X).

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
couldn't you have spelled it how it's pronounce.d i'll let you continue to bang your head.....

I take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble, but not you,
On hiccough, thorough, lough and through?
Well done! And now you wish, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps?
Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird,
And dead: it's said like bed, not bead -
For goodness sake don't call it deed!
Watch out for meat and great and threat
(They rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
A moth is not a moth in mother,
Nor both in bother, broth in brother,
And here is not a match for there
Nor dear and fear for bear and pear,
And then there's dose and rose and lose -
Just look them up - and goose and choose,
And cork and work and card and ward,
And font and front and word and sword,
And do and go and thwart and cart -
Come, come, I've hardly made a start!
A dreadful language? Man alive!
I'd mastered it when I was five!

one chiropractor isn't spelled with an X, so that example doesn't work.

Chiblade isn't spelled with an X either. Both Chiblade and Chiropractor start with the same greek letter and have to be transliterated into English letters, so it does work.

Saying something in a different way between languages doesn't change what it means.
It just changes the language!

Except we already use greek roots in English, so it is changing what it means.

Couldn't your mother have not banged your head against cinderblocks as a child?

Or perhaps banged harder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back