• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Octopath Traveler

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
re: Project OCTOPATH TRAVELER - Coming to Nintendo Switch July 13th

This might be the next big game I buy for Switch. This or Mario Tennis. Can you turn off the voices in this game?

Pokie

This game is looking amazing, thought at the same time it has the same problem as the other 'new retro jrpgs ' that the characters are fricken tiny and so far away. FF6 on the SNES never seemed to be like that, so I don't understand why this is a thing ?

Thank the lord for Bravely Default.

the_hansinator

This to me seems like the best thing ever ever ever, being a huge JRPG fan.

This seems to more than likely accomplish what Lost Sphere and I Am Setsuna couldn't. The playthroughs so far of the demos look absolutely stunning.

thought at the same time it has the same problem as the other 'new retro jrpgs ' that the characters are fricken tiny and so far away.

Actually, this is exactly why I loved FF7, 8, and 9 so much. When the characters are smaller, you are stuck in almost like a constant establishing shot. FF7-9 were taking from the adventure games that had come out around that time. You really get immersed in stories that have many establishing shots.

It requires a lot more effort, though, to do. In the anime film metropolis you have establishing shots everywhere, and it's showing off the environment in this way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY0C_xuTZrQ

It's a problem I actually have with 3rd person jrpgs. I always wondered why the rpgs of the 2000s and the 10s didn't catch on and see this. I think Tales games like Symphonia had more establishing shots in places, but then at about Vespiria they ditched it completely and just had 3rd person everywhere.

I wish KH would actually have some scenes where they have really small characters so they could show more of the environments off from afar, it helps the viewer gain more perspective of where they are and it allows artists to pour more effect into little details that you wouldn't see otherwise. In FF7-9 I remember literally seeing little tiny pens and quills and paintbrushes in certain scenes on crowded desks. It really added quite a lot.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

I don't know about this one, but (perhaps shamefully) I am usually naturally drawn to the chibi "FFIX/Bravely Default" nature of these deceptively-cutely-packaged RPGs like Lost Sphear and I am Setsuna. The design of this reminds me of Star Ocean: The Second Story though.

I got to watch my partner play Primrose's demo last night. It was.. depressing af, tbh.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Re: Project OCTOPATH TRAVELER - Coming to Nintendo Switch July 13th

At E3, it was revealed a demo will be coming June 14th. Save data will carry over to the full game.

Recon

Art of War
Awards

[video=youtube;e_jekxWY9hM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_jekxWY9hM[/video]

Pokie

Would love to start with the hunter! Having animals on your team sounds fun and cute!

SomeKHFan

Awards

I'm really enjoying this game. It's my second game for the Switch and I just love how they have worked the graphics, gameplay, music and Story together.

SoulXaldin

Awards
Heard a lot of things about this game but never thought much about. Is it good? I’ve been meaning to play more RPGs, so I wonder if this worth the investment.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Heard a lot of things about this game but never thought much about. Is it good? I’ve been meaning to play more RPGs, so I wonder if this worth the investment.

There's a demo on the eShop. You can give it a try. It let's you play the game for three hours max, and you can carry over the save data.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
IMO- I really wanted to like Octopath Traveler and I'm ok with grinding in any video game, but EVERY battle in this game feels like a grind. No matter what I fight I always feel like it's a massive chore. Whether or not I 1-turn everything and use all my Brave points or try to hit all the enemies weak points and kill them in turn 2. The amount of experience you get per battle is laughable, considering how hard you have to fight sometimes to kill even one enemy and the fact that the only way to boost your EXP is a dance that can randomly hinder and nearly kill your entire party (I have been party wiped before trying to grind) and I also found it quite exasperating that the "8 unique experiences" turned out to be "2 sets of 4 unique experiences" as each set of characters have such similar skills that it doesn't feel as unique. The stories are overly acted most of the time and the voice acting is sub par. I wanted this to be a much better game than it feels and I'm lacking the inspiration to finish it. I really hate that the non-used party members don't get any experience also, because it gets much harder to level up unused party members for their quests. If you do one at a time, you're grinding for hours and if you do more than one, you're losing valuable damage for getting through the battles quickly. I also find it irritating that you can't switch out your first pick. I chose Rose because of the Bewildering Dance and I'm a fan off buffs/debuffs, but it would be nice to have the option to switch her out when I use her alt skill character. I really want to love anything Square releases and I was really looking forward to this game, but sadly it wasn't as good as I was hoping. All that being said, if you ARE a fan of grindy grinds that grind grindy then this is the game for you. Or if you're a fan of Bravely Default which was also a grindy grind.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
My problem with Octopath is that bosses were just punching bags. They're literal HP bags. What's makes this worse is that upcoming bosses have shields.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I'm a bit late to the party but my roommate just got a Switch and this game, and I gotta say I'm a really huge fan of the game so far. Maybe it's because I have "bad taste" as it seems most people probably think so... :( But I really like having a new old-school RPG experience again. It reminds me a lot if FFVI, my favorite Final Fantasy.

Maybe I won't find anyone else on here that likes it as much as I do... Considering the above posts I might just be alone in that regard. *Sigh*

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Two bit of very important news:

Octopath Traveler Gets A Single-Player RPG Prequel For Smartphones In 2019

Octopath Traveler: Conquerors of the Continent Trailer

img3_1_thumb.jpg

The story revolves around three conquerors, with a story that you’ll get to choose. The game is set in Osterra continent. The protagonist is the “chosen one” who will stand up against a great evil that gained fortune, power, and fame. Players will get to decide on which story to start with.

For those of you familiar with the original Octopath Traveler, the game will have Path Actions to help with gathering information, items, allies, and more.

Octopath Traveler: Conquerors of the Continent releases in Japan in 2019 for iOS and Andorid as a free-to-play title. Registrations for an early-access demo will go live on March 12.

Click the article's link for a plethora of screenshots.

I am amazed of how faithful this prequel is to the original game. I hope it makes it out here to the West.

Also...

Octopath Traveler’s Official Twitter Account Mentions A New Console Game

For those of you waiting for a new console game, we apologize, but we’ll need more time for production, so in the meantime we hope you’ll enjoy this,

Maybe they're busy working on Bravely Third/Thirdly/Sword?

---

Edit:

Also, Octopath Traveler has sold 1.5 million copies. Impressive! Good to know that this style of game is so very well received! Here's to the future of the Octopath series! :D *cheers*

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/183307466224

Last edited:
Back