• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Procrastination and how to beat it

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Yeah. I'm sure we're all familiar with this, some more than others. Got that essay waiting... should go out and exercise... but somehow when you look at the clock after 10 minutes of chilling, gathering energy and all that, you notice it has actually been 2 hours.

I personally love being lazy and doing nothing so much that it's already a reward, so I like to set up goals in the morning, and after everything is done, I get to do nothing for the rest of the day. As long as I get to work it's usually fine and I can get everything done, but if I get lost along the way and end up browsing internet or play Ux (thanks SE for another distraction) time just goes so fast. I've always been a daydreamer and I can honestly just lay in bed for 3 hours in the morning thinking about stuff and it feels like only half an hour has passed.

So yeah, do you guys find it difficult to get stuff done, and how if so, how do you get it done anyway?

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Great thread, Catcake! I have a huge procrastination problem myself, and it seems like I can never get anything done on time during the week. I will usually set goals for myself during the day with specific times I have to do them, and I literally have to keep myself from sitting down most of the time in order to actually accomplish anything at all. I found that, most of the time, I simply have to force myself to do whatever thing that I need to do, and that often can be quite hard being the lazy soul I am. I would try to keep some sort of planner or something on your phone to be able to plan things down to the hour, and try what you do in the morning and just get everything out of the way ASAP. I find I procrastinate a lot more if I space out my work, and I end up doing a lot more if I just set up a block to work on everything.

I'm not the authority on this, and I'd actually like to hear everyone else's advice as well, because I have this problem still.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I tend to have trouble finding motivation until I run out of time. The "bad" thing is that in the end my stuff is still pretty decent so I never bother with changing the way I do this stuff.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I also use the method of creating some sort of schedule for the upcoming days, what time a certain job and etc... has to be done. Sometimes the time table stretch`s, but I still find having a some sort of plan/schedule helpful to avoid procrastination.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Honestly what bothers me most is that I even procrastinate on things I like to do. Like drawing, it's sometimes just super hard to get started. I also like making food, but even that is often hard to get started with. I guess one thing that sometimes helps is remembering that once you start doing the thing it's not as bad as it feels at the moment. Just force yourself to move and do the thing, and you're likely to also finish it.

Kounelli

Awards
Procrastination is the result of consistently reinforcing bad habits and behavior so you don't get work done. It's very hard to beat it, I'm 25 years old with ADHD and I still struggle.

The key thing here is motivation. Something to work for. A lot of the time, just getting something done because it's important is not enough. I remember one time I was playing a game and then I had to stop and do homework because it was due that night. I was motivated to work because I wanted to get back into the game, and the stress of completing the assignment was just enough for me to stop and get to work.

That doesn't work all the time though. But slowly rewarding yourself as you complete assignments is a great way to start. About 5-10 days before the assignment is due, put on a timer, do about 10 minutes of hw, when the timer goes off, set it again for 30 minutes. Do whatever you want for 30 minutes, then when the timer goes off, go back to work for another 10 minutes. Go up 5 minutes every other assignment. Hopefully, when you put yourself in routine, you can increase positive behavior. Try to have a friend help you out.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention, every other assignment when you add 5 minutes to work time, take 5 minutes away from break time. Transition is important.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
*Procrastinates on something by reading about procrastination*

Can relate. I was actually procrastinating on writing an essay while making this thread xD

Good tips Kounelli, thanks. Might try that, I do work best with a time limit usually. Would also be good for health, to get up and take a break instead of sitting in one place for hours.

Friendly neFrog

I am often lazy too, sometimes I find it difficult to find motivation to get up and start doing something. What I do to beat procrastination is open some famous people biographies and read about them, find something remarkable they did at my age, this makes me angry and I want to do something with my life. Or I check price of flats in Berlin https://tranio.com/germany/berlin/apartments/ (where I live), and understand that I will never be able to buy one if I continue like this, get up and go to study/gym.

SoulXaldin

Awards
Procrastination is nothing new to me, honestly. For the past few years or so in school, I struggled to get work done early, but it's ALWAYS last moment that I blaze through any work. It's surprising, really. Maybe you'll take this into account and it can become second nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back