• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Preference in detail and quality

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
This was a thought I just had.

• Has your preference for detail and length changed since you started rping?
  • How does it compare to when you first started to the very present?
  • Do you feel this effects the way you look at other rps?

I feel that my preference has drastically changed since I started rping. This is fact, not just opinion. When I first started back in 2008, I would be the guy who would join the rps that had a more casual look. I remember being intimidated by the rps that had a long introduction to not only the plot, but the information regarding groups within the plot. However, now I only join the rps I know where respected rpers will be or rps that have a good detail.

As for the length part, I feel that from when I first started rping, I would be able to deal with one-liners or even the poorly-constructed paragraphs. However, I feel that if a post doesn't contain two paragraphs, it isn't worth my time of day. I can even go as far as to say that my posts always are three paragraphs. When I compare that to my first couple dozen of posts when I first started, that would be a good day, now it's a bad day if I only can do two paragraph posts.

Last edited:
Awards
I was a mess when I first started. DX

Now I try to do a minimum of two paragraphs. I tend not to make my posts very lengthy unless I'm dropping a bombshell of plotz. I too used to be intimidated by RPs with vast walls of text, at the time I just saw it as too much and not something I could handle. Hmm, I think I've grown to appreciate the depth that can be accomplished.

Mistearea

Fear the Mist
Shifting through the spaces like only Mist can.
Like most people, I was a mess. I think back when I first started coming here I only did roughly one paragraph with a single line of dialogue. Now I drop two paragraphs easy unless I'm seriously out of it. And I mean you-should-be-dead-sick out of it. But like with what Pierce said, I used to avoid those with lots of text in the opening out of sheer laziness but now that's what I look for. That and proper organization. If it ain't organized, chances are that I won't look it over because of how sloppy it looks. But then again, that's to be expected for someone in my field of study. We like words to be neatly organized.

Endless Strategy

When I first started Role playing I preferred long posts and generally wrote long posts. Now... I prefer long posts and write long posts. But wait, there is a difference! Now I am far lazier :(. As for how I look at RPs, I feel that I cannot play an RP unless I can understand the breadth of the concepts and world the RP is introducing. I wish to be intimately aware of every facet of the world, and the GM's ability to do so is a large plus in my book.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I surprised myself when I first began roleplaying, given I had never tried my hand at anything of the sort, not even semi-lengthy fiction writing, but I found it came easy to me. Sometimes so much so that I found the exposition in my posts trumped the emotion and actual events in terms of how much time I devoted to the respective elements. I used to get a lot of comments from fellow roleplayers that posts weren't supposed to equal novels in length. Strangely, despite my penchant for lengthy writing, I was hesitant to join - even simply read - signup threads that had extremely lengthy introductory posts, thinking I would never be able to contain all these details and rules in my head when roleplaying in that environment.

Now I try and put much more stock into what characters are feeling and what they're doing, instead of the details of an environment, or the particular things that are befalling that environment at said time. Given how much I can write, I decided to re-prioritise into what's truly more interesting, since if I balanced everything my posts would be stupendously long. Now, not only will I openly and willingly approach roleplays with tonnes of detail in their discussion and signup threads, I'll make the same for some of my own projects, though I like to make use of formatting to draw attention to what's essential to know and what is secondary.

When roleplaying in my earliest days of Organization XV, I struggled in trying to get out short posts, and it annoyed me that I could come back after a night's sleep and see three new pages of 'plot' added when most of it was posts a couple of sentences in length. I hated the idea of filler posts, and that I might need to write something that doesn't really advance anything. Now I'm more amenable to them, because I understand that everyone has a role to play (badum tsss) in forwarding the story, even if they're just acting as a passive vehicle at times.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I honestly don't really care and generally just type out whatever comes to mind, generally speaking, in regards to RP posts. Typically I write using stream of consciousness and maybe pick out a few things to ensure the overall picture of scene in which I'm writing towards plays out how I want it to in the text. Staying in character is something I gear towards in almost redundant fashion.

That being said, my writing skill typically advanced as I aged and mostly matured. Also, I read books that were written in the general style/genre that I wanted to write, so as to condition my brain to thinking in that sort of pattern. If an RP gauges my interest and is appeasing, I could care less.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Upon starting, I was essentially one of the worst there was, alongside wisdom&valor. It wasn't so much an issue with detail as it was "i've never done this before, and I don't know what the hell to write or what I'm doing." Like everything now, it was purely freestyle but in 2006 I didn't read many books or have alternative references.

Well for starters theres an immediate difference seeing as I didn't even know what a manifest character was at the time and in my lifespan of RP'ing I've made about...five? The contrast just comes with what I picked up and incorporated into my own style, so its no surprise I guess. I'd rather be some stupid kid that is learning, than some adult that writes and is trying to convince himself some day he won't turn senile lol.

It actually has affected the way I look at other rp's, but more than that the response I get from the roleplayers. I'll be damned if there isn't a legitimate reason I stopped actively trying to join the variety anymore. Also, much like the prof said, if it fits my preferences that is left to a both "yes and no" scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back