• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Predictions for the next Kingdom Hearts Game

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Yeah, Drakengard characters do not belong in KH. I've only played the first one, and it was full of gore. I didn't even finish the game because all the violence and bleak atmosphere was too much for me (that was years ago). It would be like having Kratos from God of War interacting with Sora.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Yeah, Drakengard characters do not belong in KH. I've only played the first one, and it was full of gore. I didn't even finish the game because all the violence and bleak atmosphere was too much for me (that was years ago). It would be like having Kratos from God of War interacting with Sora.
Boy, if you thought the violence was too much, wait 'til you learn about all the wonderful friends you make along the way

HakaishinChampa

Awards
I was just thinking about how meta the next game will get.

There's a huge chance that in Quadratum, Kingdom Hearts is a video game.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sora runs into a Sora cosplayer or people telling him "nice cosplay" or even him running into Donald and Goofy mascots at a Disney theme park.

Biggest meta thing that could happen is Sora trying out a KH game

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

It wouldn't surprise me if Sora runs into a Sora cosplayer or people telling him "nice cosplay" or even him running into Donald and Goofy mascots at a Disney theme park.

"Jesus this plot makes no sense, who wrote this crap?"

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

Be kind of funny to see his reaction to a Xehanort or Heartless cosplayer. Hopefully he'd be able to tell the difference before he attacks the person, lol

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Wasn't Nier this whole constantly depressing apocalyptic stuff which makes Neon Genesis Evangelion look like a walk in the part and is like way way more on the cynic side of things than KH would ever allow?

It's interesting because NieR is the anti-RPG in that it takes common themes in your standard JRPG and flips them on their head.

Both NieR and KH explore a number of similar metaphysical and philosophical themes:

Existence, humanity, friendship, what a soul/heart is.

While Kingdom Hearts explores it in a way that is very lighthearted and hopeful, NieR uses these themes to show the futility of life.

In NieR, there is no right or wrong. No good or evil. It is just people who are trying to fight for what they believe in and who they love, and sometimes that also happens to doom all of existence. The monsters aren't monsters and the humans aren't human but every single being is alive and has something they want to protect. There is hope, yes, but it futile because everything is doomed in the end.

Kingdom Hearts goes out of its way to define what is right and wrong...what is light and dark. It does not have "happy" endings, but it does show that there is always hope for one...and generally the cost of those endings falls on the heroes of those games. The universe gets saved and only the hero like Sora gets fucked over...but these heroes believe in their friends and the good in the universe, so they will survive to see another day somehow.

It's like...fundamentally at their core, both series are addressing similar concepts, but the way Yoko Taro and Tetsuya Nomura approach these concepts is just so different.

I think you could very easily have a NieR world in KH because of these concepts, but I also think the tone and the answers to its philosophical questions is where the two franchises clash the most and that is really the crux of the issue.

Like, you'd have to make a very sharp turn with KH's overall themes and outlook if you want to justify such a bleak setting with constant unhappiness and tragedy being there and imho none of the KH characters would be mentally equipped enough to deal with it.
I read it is somehow connected to the Drakengard series and while I only ever actively played the second one of that series that one was already quite non-fitting with KH themes and setting wise.

Drakengard is a much darker world than NieR, I'd say. It's much more fatalistic and bleak because it is a world that is explicitly doomed to suffer.

NieR is chipper in comparison lol

But yeah, TL;DR it's...the themes aren't the issue. It's just the execution that differs.

Awards
It's interesting because NieR is the anti-RPG in that it takes common themes in your standard JRPG and flips them on their head.

Both NieR and KH explore a number of similar metaphysical and philosophical themes:

While Kingdom Hearts explores it in a way that is very lighthearted and hopeful, NieR uses these themes to show the futility of life.

In NieR, there is no right or wrong. No good or evil. It is just people who are trying to fight for what they believe in and who they love, and sometimes that also happens to doom all of existence. The monsters aren't monsters and the humans aren't human but every single being is alive and has something they want to protect. There is hope, yes, but it futile because everything is doomed in the end.

Kingdom Hearts goes out of its way to define what is right and wrong...what is light and dark. It does not have "happy" endings, but it does show that there is always hope for one...and generally the cost of those endings falls on the heroes of those games. The universe gets saved and only the hero like Sora gets fucked over...but these heroes believe in their friends and the good in the universe, so they will survive to see another day somehow.

It's like...fundamentally at their core, both series are addressing similar concepts, but the way Yoko Taro and Tetsuya Nomura approach these concepts is just so different.

I think you could very easily have a NieR world in KH because of these concepts, but I also think the tone and the answers to its philosophical questions is where the two franchises clash the most and that is really the crux of the issue.

Drakengard is a much darker world than NieR, I'd say. It's much more fatalistic and bleak because it is a world that is explicitly doomed to suffer.

But yeah, TL;DR it's...the themes aren't the issue. It's just the execution that differs.
That is quite a wonderful way to look at it out-of-universe. The themes are similar, but the execution is different.

In-universe though, it's a whole other ball game.

Like, I'm pretty sure those who played Drakengard went into panic mode when what was basically an artificial Seed of Destruction ended up in FF14 via Automata's machine lifeforms.

Having a Nier world would also involve the possibility that YoRHa Dark Apocalypse Round 2 would happen.

And from what I remember about Seeds of Destruction...that's a big problem.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Be kind of funny to see his reaction to a Xehanort or Heartless cosplayer. Hopefully he'd be able to tell the difference before he attacks the person, lol
"Man, what's this weird red liquid that keeps coming out of him every time I hit him?"

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Yea, that's what I meant and what I gathered from what I've read about the NieR-games (I have Automata for the PS4, but didn't find time to even start it yet), they're much more on the cynic side while KH is more idealistic about it.

If anything it shows you can have the same core themes and yet still the works do not fit together because the approach of addressing the themes is so different you could say in several ways they oppose each other and/or come to different conclusions.

For a NieR world in KH to work one of the two would have to quite an adaption in tone and presentation and I'd wager the fanbase of the one that gets adapted would get quite irritated if not even pissed about the changes.

Like said, I only ever played Drakengard 2 and that was more than ten years ago on the PS2.
I remember liking the four main characters pretty well and from what I read your party members in Dg 2 are much more "streamlined" and less controversial than the companions from the first game despite one of them being the former big bad (who was apparently controlled by the jerk ass "gods" who seem to be the overarching main antagonists).
The protagonist from the first game is a pretty intense boss fight and of course you also got this race of "heavenly" dragons who oppose the jerk ass gods yet turn out to be not much better when it comes to their stance on humanity.

The setting was however indeed very bleak as far as I can recall with the outdoor areas almost always shrouded in a sickly, unnerving fog during the few times it was daytime and such nice names as "City of Rust" being rampant on the map. The maps set at night were almost always less unnerving than the day ones despite the weird fog being there on them sometimes as well.
During the later parts of the game I recall it even getting a slight sort of horror element with some grotesque monsters appearing during the air dragon dogfight levels while on the ground you had the jerk ass gods copying other normal enemies from the game which looked like they were made of eerie green goo, couldn't be staggered and were vastly stronger than the normal variants.

It does say something though when one states that NieR, a setting that is bleak and fatalistic by itself, is more lighthearted than the whole setting of the Drakengard series.

Yea, yet the different execution is what makes both universes/series unsuited to be part of KH as they are and I dunno if changing them to fit KH's style more would be well received.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Dragon Quest 12 is being developed on Unreal Engine 5, after Dragon Quest 11 was developed on Unreal Engine 4.

I hope that, due to Square Enix's close partnership with Epic Games, the next Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy VII projects have fully moved over as well. Today's UE5 demo video showed off a similar rift technique to Ratchet and Clank where another map can be loaded in almost instantly so it'd be cool for KH to utilise that kind of technology.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Today's UE5 demo video showed off a similar rift technique to Ratchet and Clank where another map can be loaded in almost instantly so it'd be cool for KH to utilise that kind of technology.
Imagine a KH boss fight that took place across multiple worlds like this

horto12485

Awards
I want to see the Next Saga of Kingdom Hearts use the Unreal Engine 5 technology and possibly uses Ratchet and Clank's Rift Apart fighting off boss in Multiple Original and Disney Worlds (Worlds we have and haven't explored)

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I dunno what it is about Quadratum and unreality that makes everyone think "now they'll do X movie, it's perfect for unreality!" as if there were any sort of metric or ruleset to world choices previously that unreality now bypasses. Like a KH in unreality is just a normal KH game but ~kind of weird~.

To be completely honest I don't expect to see much more of unreality outside of Quadratum. I'm not convinced this'll be an expansive new part of the universe to explore.
Part of me's wondering if the big shakeup to the formula Nomura teased isn't a fully-open world game set in just one world (Quadratum). They were definitely testing those waters with The Caribbean and San Fransokyo.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I thought some people wanted it out cuz they're worried Disney WON'T let Square go nuts.

That and I don't think anyone wants live action remake crap.
I don't really want it either, although if they were to use that idea, I can concede some of the environments in some of those films are visually exciting.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I thought some people wanted it out cuz they're worried Disney WON'T let Square go nuts.

That and I don't think anyone wants live action remake crap.
I don't want it but it's fun to think about.

In any case, I can't imagine they'd be able to afford more than one or two live action worlds per game.

Back