• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Pre-Calculus?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

XjXsOlJa

NHSrep
I think this would belong in here but if it doesn't feel free to move it.
Soo I'm thinking about taking pre-calc next summer so that i would be able to take calc junior year, and then have a free period for my senior year.
Do you guys think it would be wise to take pre-calc during the summer?
What are your experiences in pre.calc?

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
If you like math in general, I think you have a chance of enjoying it. I'm gonna assume that you've taken a 2nd year of algebra. If you haven't, then maybe you've already dealt with elementary functions at some point in time. Pre-calc picks up from there, and you start dealign with an array of functions, like the classic V-shaped absolute value functions, your parabolas, sqrt graphs, cubic graphs, etc. The first part of the course (in my experience anyway) was functions, functions, functions, functions, functions. From there, if you haven't already done logarithms, that'll probably be next. Then you'll have... SURPRISE! LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS! lol And, lets not forget natural log and the number 'e,' and naturally, their functions as well. From there, the rest of the year for me was trigtrigtrigtrigtrigtrigtrigtrigtrigtrigtrigtrigtrigtrig. But, in my high school, it was called Advanced Math; it combined pre-calc and trig into one, so it may be different for you.

In all honesty, mathematics is my favorite school subject, so I enjoyed it, and if you like math, you should find the class challenging and rewarding. The only thing I really have to mention is that the title is misleading. Pre-Calc generally has nothign to do with calc at all (except for when you study limits.) I guess they call it pre-calc because you know need to know functions like the back of your hand in order to do well with calc. Once you get to that class, instead of functionsfunctionsfunctions, it'll be derivativesderivatiesderivates, and then integralsintegralsintegrals. If you like puzzle-solving and whatnot, it'll be cool.

XjXsOlJa

NHSrep
^ thanks for taking your time to type that out for me.
I really appreciate the descriptions. :)

Oh yea, do you recommend actually taking this course over the summer?

O

Oberon

if you're tihnking that far into the long-term, then if thats what you want, go for it. one summer class isn't bad no matter how hard it is since you can focus all your energies onto it. i was thinking of taking french 2 this summer and i would have, but then i wouldn't have enough credits by not having it for this semester i'm in for the fall. idk, it depends on a few things. though if you're in high school, i imagine it's easier to handle too. summer school for high school is bleh

XjXsOlJa

NHSrep
Nooo, not this summer.
NEXT summer.
And I'm thinking I should study a little bit throughout the year to have a basic concept of what it is,
Hopefully, It'll make the class that much easier,

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
It will. That's a great idea. Plus, taking calc Jr. is pretty incredible tbh. In my high school, non-seniors aren't even allowed. It's impossible.

XjXsOlJa

NHSrep
really?
i know some to-be sophmores that took alg. II freshman year because they took a class every summer.
i heard that if you take calc junior year, then you will have to take some other version, or section of calc senior year.
i was trying to get a free period, but whatever.
and im just trying to keep up with all the other asians at my school.
ahaha,
i cant be left behind!

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
really?
i know some to-be sophmores that took alg. II freshman year because they took a class every summer.
i heard that if you take calc junior year, then you will have to take some other version, or section of calc senior year.
i was trying to get a free period, but whatever.
and im just trying to keep up with all the other asians at my school.
ahaha,
i cant be left behind!

Yeah, you're referring to Calculus BC. There's AB and BC, and I think the latter incorporates elements of Calc II. My school doesn't have that kind of system, but if you take AP Calculus, it goes through the AB material, and you're given the option of taking a BC exam. I guess it's for if you've studied beyond what went on in the class. I wish I knew more about that, but I've never actually taken calc. I just studied it on my own, lol. From what I heard (2 of my closest friends were in it), the AP Calc class was ridiculous. 49% of the class slept every day, and they would look forward to that class in particular to sleep in because the teacher had a very soothing voice. Another 49% dedicated the 2 periods to playing Pokémon and Mario Kart DS with each other. The last 2% tried to take the class seriously, but stopped giving a shit after a while and joined either of the 2 aforementioned groups.

XjXsOlJa

NHSrep
well, my goodness.
talk about failing a class,
well, if i do manage passing per-calc, in the summer, and end up talking calc. BC senior year, at least it'll look pretty damn good on my record. :)

Silfarion

Well, I've done until differential and found out that pre-calc is both very important and very annoying. How old are you now? I did pre-calc last year (when I was 14) and finished differential just now (15). If you are younger than me, I strongly recommend not doing it. If you are same age as me, then I won't stop you. If you are older than me, you might be a bit too late (depends or your age, that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back